Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stove top espresso maker

a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). Does this
sound familiar to anyone? Any idea on where one might be available?

Thanks,
Marge
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 10:46*am, Marge > wrote:
> a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). *Does this
> sound familiar to anyone? *Any idea on where one might be available?
>
> Thanks,
> Marge

I've only seen the same as you- aka a Moka pot...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marge wrote:

> a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). Does this
> sound familiar to anyone? Any idea on where one might be available?

Yes, I've seen one exactly as you describe,
and I once had an espresso made with it.
Unfortunately, the woman who owned it died
about 10 years ago. Beats me what happened
to it.

The best place to look for one is probably
eBay.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-21, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> and I once had an espresso made with it.

Coffee made with a moka pot is not espresso, though it is often referred to
as "stovetop espresso". Just clearing that up.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have a feeling it was Vesuviana stove top espresso maker

thanks for the ebay idea, that's where I found it :-)

Best, Marge

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marge wrote:

> a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). Does this
> sound familiar to anyone? Any idea on where one might be available?

That is an Italian stove top espresso maker called a moka pot. It is the
same basic principle as a proper espresso maker but uses much less
pressure. You put the coffee in the the filtre doohickey in the middle.
When the water is heated it is forced up throuugh the filter and then up
a tube to the upper chamber. It is almost as good as espresso, but with
less crema.

They are commonly available in most grocery stores around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 12:51*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Marge wrote:
> > a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> > maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> > percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> > the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). *Does this
> > sound familiar to anyone? *Any idea on where one might be available?

> That is an Italian stove top espresso maker called a moka pot. It is the
> same basic principle as a proper espresso maker but uses much less
> pressure. You put the coffee in the the filtre doohickey in the middle.
> When the water is heated it is forced up throuugh the filter and then up
> a tube to the upper chamber. It is almost as good as espresso, but with
> less crema.
>
> They are commonly available in most grocery stores around here.

How else can you have an espresso when you're camping?? I love mine- 1
have 2 different sizes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Marge wrote:
> > > a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> > > maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> > > percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> > > the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). �Does this
> > > sound familiar to anyone? �Any idea on where one might be available?

> > That is an Italian stove top espresso maker called a moka pot. It is the
> > same basic principle as a proper espresso maker but uses much less
> > pressure. You put the coffee in the the filtre doohickey in the middle.
> > When the water is heated it is forced up throuugh the filter and then up
> > a tube to the upper chamber. It is almost as good as espresso, but with
> > less crema.

> > They are commonly available in most grocery stores around here.

> How else can you have an espresso when you're camping?? I love mine- 1
> have 2 different sizes.

Me too. And I think once you learn to use them correctly they work
just as well if not better than the fancy schmancy mega bucks machines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> How else can you have an espresso when you're camping?? I love mine- 1
> have 2 different sizes.

I have one too, but I haven't used it since I got a machine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 21, 5:09�pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > How else can you have an espresso when you're camping?? I love mine- 1
> > have 2 different sizes.

> I have one too, but I haven't used it since I got a machine.

I bet you don't take it camping... how much did your machine cost...
my moka cost like $12 and I've been using it some 40 years, not often
but about once a month, there were as few years long ago when I used
it every day, was my only coffee pot. The moka pots don't work well
on electric stoves (they tend to boil over) but on gas stoves they
work as well as any expensive espresso contraption.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Feb 21, 10:46 am, Marge > wrote:
> a friend of mind is looking for an old fashioned stove top espresso
> maker, he described it as having two chambers side by side, one side
> percolating to the other side (instead of one chamber being on top of
> the other, which is how I know the stove top ones to be). Does this
> sound familiar to anyone? Any idea on where one might be available?
>
> Thanks,
> Marge

I've only seen the same as you- aka a Moka pot...

AKA: macchinetta and it was used to make café expresso in
every household in my Venato neighborhood in the 70-80s.