Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopping onions

The other day I made something for which I had to chop up an onion. I
decided to try the method that Alton Brown showed on Good Eats, where you
leave the root on, then cut the onion radially leaving it connected at the
root, then cut perpendicular to the radial cut
(http://pinchmysalt.com/2007/10/24/ho...oto-tutorial/).
I thought this method worked really well.

I thought about it a bit, and decided that there at least 5 ways to dice an
onion:

1. AB's way.

2. The "traditional" method where several cuts are made paralell to the YZ
plane, several paralell to the XY plane, then several to the XZ plane
(http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/vector...ordinates.htm).

3. Cut the root and stem ends off, then peel and quarter the onion and toss
in the food processor.

4. Use one of the nifty gizmos sold on late night TV
(https://www.chopwizard.com/).

5. Don't bother with messing with it at all, use frozen diced onions.

6. Allergic to/don't like onions, don't use them at all.

I just thought I might take an unofficial poll of what how everyone hadles
this particular kitchen task.

Brian Christiansen

Chopping Herbs BBQ General Cooking 10 25-03-2015 12:34 PM
Chopping Onions Without Crying ImNatalie Marketplace 2 15-04-2010 03:51 PM
Chopping Parsley [email protected] General Cooking 60 30-08-2005 02:08 AM
Chopping Oregeo Bubba General Cooking 11 08-06-2005 09:55 PM
Can I use the tops of sprouting onions as I would green onions? White Monkey General Cooking 6 09-04-2005 03:05 PM