Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default TJ's to Stop Selling some food from China 2-11-08

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-trader...,2794751.story

"Trader Joes" to Stop Selling Some Food From China
February 11, 2008, 10:48 AM PST
Trader Joe's will stop selling single-ingredient Chinese imports such as
garlic, frozen organic spinach, ginger and edamame, a green soybean,
beginning April 1st.. The ban doesn't include products with ingredients from
China, a leading source of vitamins and minerals used in many processed
foods.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> "Trader Joes" to Stop Selling Some Food From China

Also, Wegmans (a regional supermarket in and around PA) decided to stop
selling cigarettes.

The talking heads on this morning's NBC news quoted something to the effect
that "although it was a profit avenue..."

Great!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:24:59 -0500, Dee.Dee wrote:
>
>> The ban doesn't include products with ingredients from
>> China, a leading source of vitamins and minerals used in many processed
>> foods.

> China is a leading source of vitamins and minerals? What an odd
> comment.

From what I have read China is now the major manufacturer of synthetic
vitamins and also pharmaceutical/food grade minerals in the world. If we
were to stop imports we would actually need to start making stuff here
again.

> But are these "minerals" part of a balanced diet or part of a
> insecticide or preservative program?
>
> -sw

I believe they would be the food grade minerals commonly added to things
like cereals and bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:
> Dee.Dee said...
>
>> "Trader Joes" to Stop Selling Some Food From China

> Also, Wegmans (a regional supermarket in and around PA) decided to stop
> selling cigarettes.
>
> The talking heads on this morning's NBC news quoted something to the effect
> that "although it was a profit avenue..."
>
> Great!
>
> Andy

My buddie's wife works in the back end of a regional competitor to
Wegmans. She said that they are leaving a lot of money on the table by
making that stand because she knows how much her employer makes selling
cancer sticks.