Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

First, let me the first to point out that there is absolutely nothing
"authentic" about this recipe insofar as any European origins. However, it
is a recipe that I've worked out that we really like, and when fed to
company it always gets raves.

If you're inclined to flame me about using tomato soup, don't waste your
breath. :-)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 large green cabbage
---filling Mixture---
1 Pound lean ground meat
1/4 Pound ground pork
1/4 Pound ground veal
1 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon bouquet garni
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
2 Teaspoons Worcesterchire sauce
1 egg -- well-beaten
---rice---
1/2 cup raw white rice -- well washed in cold water
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 Teaspoon salt
---sauce Mixture---
1 Each "family Size" Can Tomato Soup
1 Pint Sour Cream
1 Teaspoon Granulated Onion
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/2 Teaspoon bouquet garni (or herb of your choice)
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
2 Teaspoons Worcesterchire sauce

First, cook the rice. Bring water to a boil, stir in rice, cover, then
simmer on low heat 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, place
towel over pot, the cover with lid. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Spread rice
out on a plate to cool and dry a bit.

Allow meats to come to near room temperature to facilitate mixing. Combine
all ingredients in the filling mixture, mixing gently with 2 forks (avoid
compacting the meat).

Add cold rice to meat mixture and toss with forks to combine, keeping
mixture light.

I use the old-fashioned boiling water method of cooking the cabbage to
loosen the leaves. It really does produce the best results. Freezing or
nuking the cabbage destroys the texture and makes it watery. Have a large
pot of water boiling. Stab the core of the cabbage with a large pot fork
and hold the cabbage under the boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until the
outer couple of leaves loosen. Use a sharp knife to sever the stem end of
the leaf from the core and pull the leaf away with a pair of tongs.
Continue this process until you have a dozen or so large leaves. Coarsely
chop some of the remaining cabbage to place in the bottom of the cooking
pan.

If the stems of the cabbage leaves are especially coarse and inflexible,
carefully remove or thin them down with a sharp knife. Place a leaf on a
cutting board or plate and place approximately 1/3 cup of the meat mixture
at the stem end of the leaf. Begin rolling the leaf, tucking in the sides
to contain the meat. When fully rolled, secure carefully with a toothpick
and set aside. Continue until you run out of filling.

Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients, whisking thoroughly.

Scatter chopped cabbage on bottom of baking dish, roaster, or electric
skillet. Pour a cup of so of the sauce over the cabbage. Arrange stuffed
cabbage leaves over the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over all.

If using the oven, cook covered for 45-60 minutes, then uncover and
continue cooking until the top begins to brown slightly, about 10-15
minutes. I usually turn over each cabbage roll halfway through cooking.

If using an electric skillet, assemble the same way and turn halfway
through cooking, for a total cooking time of 1 hour, 15 minutes.

These freeze well. Should be completely thawed in the refrigerator before
reheating gently.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 01(I)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must jump on the kitchen counter
and make off with the roast chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 25, 2:56*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

> If you're inclined to flame me about using tomato soup, don't waste your
> breath. :-)

So, who died and made you editor in chief to decide how people should
react to your ridiculous recipe? **** off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> First, let me the first to point out that there is absolutely nothing
> "authentic" about this recipe insofar as any European origins.

(snip)
> If you're inclined to flame me about using tomato soup, don't waste your
> breath. :-)

LOL!! Kinda touchy, are you?

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Nice recipe snipped. Doesn't the tomato sauce curdle with the sour
cream? Maybe it's not so tomatoey so that's not a problem.

> Serve with mashed potatoes.

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever served with mashed potatoes. My holubky
always involve sauerkraut and Rob would have a heyday with mashed
potatoes ‹ he'd put the kraut on top and then I'd have to leave the
table. "-) I like fried potatoes with them ‹ boiled, diced, browned.

Have you ever used kraut with them, Wayne? Spread the kraut over the
holubky before pouring the sauce on. That tomato and sauerkraut
combination is a good one (Ever have a sauerkraut pizza? Similar.) I
sometimes lay some bacon strips over it, too.

Curiosity question: Why do you turn them during baking? Is that why
you get toothpicks involved ‹ to keep things together when you turn
them? I don't use toothpicks to keep the rolls intact but I don't turn
mine over, either. Bright idea: If you turn them in the right
direction, you won't disturb the last foldover and they should still
stay together.

You KNEW I'd have *something* to say about this, didn't you? "-)

Now I'm faced with a dilemma ‹ it would be a nice time of year to make
them and it would be tempting to make your recipe, but then I'd be
following an actual recipe. And I might not like them. Worse, I might
like them a lot and then my mom would be spinning in her grave and then
what would I do?!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
www.kare11.com, they've got my soap bubble pics in their Picture
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> If using the oven, cook covered for 45-60 minutes, then uncover and
> continue cooking until the top begins to brown slightly, about 10-15
> minutes.

350 degrees, right? I thought so.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jan 2008 09:27:53a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> First, let me the first to point out that there is absolutely nothing
>> "authentic" about this recipe insofar as any European origins.

> (snip)
>> If you're inclined to flame me about using tomato soup, don't waste your
>> breath. :-)

> LOL!! Kinda touchy, are you?

Heh, you're the one person I expected to hear from! ;-) And welcome, too.

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

> Nice recipe snipped. Doesn't the tomato sauce curdle with the sour
> cream? Maybe it's not so tomatoey so that's not a problem.

This doesn't really curdle or separate. It's a slightly coarse sauce, but
I whisk it well before serving. Most folks like it over the cabbage rolls
as well as the mashed potatoes.

>> Serve with mashed potatoes.

> Hmmm, I don't think I've ever served with mashed potatoes. My holubky
> always involve sauerkraut and Rob would have a heyday with mashed
> potatoes ‹ he'd put the kraut on top and then I'd have to leave the
> table. "-) I like fried potatoes with them ‹ boiled, diced, browned.

I wonder if it's a regional thing? Just about every Slovak family I knew
in Cleveland served the cabbage rolls with mashed potatoes. Also seems
that more Hungarians in Clevland use kraut than Slovaks. Weird, huh?

> Have you ever used kraut with them, Wayne? Spread the kraut over the
> holubky before pouring the sauce on. That tomato and sauerkraut
> combination is a good one (Ever have a sauerkraut pizza? Similar.) I
> sometimes lay some bacon strips over it, too.

I have made it many times with kraut, but David doesn't like or eat
sauerkraut in *anything*, so I've stopped using it. I tried to get him to
just each the cabbage rolls (the dummy even removes the cabbage and just
eats the filling)! He doesn't even like the flavor that the kraut imparts
to the dish.

> Curiosity question: Why do you turn them during baking? Is that why
> you get toothpicks involved ‹ to keep things together when you turn
> them? I don't use toothpicks to keep the rolls intact but I don't turn
> mine over, either. Bright idea: If you turn them in the right
> direction, you won't disturb the last foldover and they should still
> stay together.

Actually, I don't use toothpicks anymore, but it still remains in the
recipe. A friend told me long ago about turning in the right direction.
:-) I always cook them in the oven in a single layer in pans. The first
side begins to brown a bit, then I turn so that the other side will get a
little brown. Never liked them cooked stacked in a deep pan.

> You KNEW I'd have *something* to say about this, didn't you? "-)

Of course, but who else would have the right questions and/or comments? :-)

> Now I'm faced with a dilemma ‹ it would be a nice time of year to make
> them and it would be tempting to make your recipe, but then I'd be
> following an actual recipe. And I might not like them. Worse, I might
> like them a lot and then my mom would be spinning in her grave and then
> what would I do?!

Well, you could sort of use my recipe and make changes. I know you're good
at that. <g> 'tis true, you might not like them. But then, if you did
like them by chance, you could tell your late sainted mother it was all my
fault. <g>

I absolve you of any guilt!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up
on tape somewhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jan 2008 09:28:43a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> If using the oven, cook covered for 45-60 minutes, then uncover and
>> continue cooking until the top begins to brown slightly, about 10-15
>> minutes.

> 350 degrees, right? I thought so.

Yep, sorry.

--