Mark Shaw

Default WAY too much chicken stock

My geriatric dog is on a special diet that requires that I
boil a couple of chickens weekly for her. I save the stock,
of course, and she uses some of that up as well (for one thing,
I make her oatmeal for breakfast, using stock instead of water).

Despite this, I'm piling up brick after brick of frozen chicken
stock in my freezer. I've got two chickens on the stove now,
and much more than enough stock for months to come, but I don't
want to start throwing it out.

Any ideas on how to use it?

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"How can any culture that has more lawyers
WardNA

>boil a couple of chickens weekly for her

The amount of boiling necessary to cook a chicken adequately is not really
enough to create a great chicken stock. Why not reuse the liquid for multiple
sessions (autoclaving it once a week) and freeze a more concentrated stock at
less frequent intervals?

Neil
Nick

ohhhhh
Demi Glace!

"WardNA" > wrote in message
> >boil a couple of chickens weekly for her

> The amount of boiling necessary to cook a chicken adequately is not really
> enough to create a great chicken stock. Why not reuse the liquid for

multiple
> sessions (autoclaving it once a week) and freeze a more concentrated stock

at
> less frequent intervals?
>
> Neil

Scott Taylor

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> My geriatric dog is on a special diet that requires that I
> boil a couple of chickens weekly for her. I save the stock,
> of course, and she uses some of that up as well (for one thing,
> I make her oatmeal for breakfast, using stock instead of water).
>
> Despite this, I'm piling up brick after brick of frozen chicken
> stock in my freezer. I've got two chickens on the stove now,
> and much more than enough stock for months to come, but I don't
> want to start throwing it out.
>
> Any ideas on how to use it?

You could reduce it down to chicken glace--boil slowly till it's syrupy,
then freeze in ice cube trays. I then pop them out of the trays and store
in ziploc bags--instant broth when you need it!
-Scott

Greykits

>My geriatric dog is on a special diet that requires that I
>boil a couple of chickens weekly for her. I save the stock,
>of course, and she uses some of that up as well (for one thing,
>I make her oatmeal for breakfast, using stock instead of water).
>
>Despite this, I'm piling up brick after brick of frozen chicken
>stock in my freezer. I've got two chickens on the stove now,
>and much more than enough stock for months to come, but I don't
>want to start throwing it out.
>
>Any ideas on how to use it?
>
>--
>Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
>================================================= =======================
>"How can any culture that has more lawyers
>than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

Your dog is lucky to have such an owner.

I would call too much stock an embarrassment of riches, as I don't often have
stock around. Have you considered really reducing it? Then you would have a
rich, concentrated liquid that would add lots of flavor to other dishes or
sauces. Some like to use stock instead of water for cooking rice or potatoes
so fat doesn't need to be used for increased flavor. I suppose it might be
good as the liquid used in steaming vegetables, too. I would make a nice pot
of rich egg drop soup like my old favorite Chinese place used to - I think they
used reduced stock instead of adding cornstarch to get such good flavor.
rharps.com

zxcvbob

Mark Shaw wrote:
> My geriatric dog is on a special diet that requires that I
> boil a couple of chickens weekly for her. I save the stock,
> of course, and she uses some of that up as well (for one thing,
> I make her oatmeal for breakfast, using stock instead of water).
>
> Despite this, I'm piling up brick after brick of frozen chicken
> stock in my freezer. I've got two chickens on the stove now,
> and much more than enough stock for months to come, but I don't
> want to start throwing it out.
>
> Any ideas on how to use it?

Use it again for boiling the next batch of chicken and freeze it again.
Do this a few times on a rotating basis until the stock gets nice and
strong. Then I would can it in quart jars, but that takes some special
equipment (an autoclave or pressure canner.)

If you're cooking chickens 2 or 3 times a week, you could just store the
broth in the refrigerator between boilings.

What do you do with the bones? You can crack them and boil them in the
broth to make it stronger and more "stock-like".

Best regards,
Bob

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
<snip>

> Any ideas on how to use it?

Make a lot of risotto, then make arancini.

rona

Default User

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I think I'll
> start reducing the stock with the bones -- I typically debone
> the chicken soon after it's done, so they're right there for me
> to crack and toss back into the pot.

You didn't mention in the first message whether you add any vegetables
when you poach the chicken. If not, the second cook with the bones would
be a good time to add some chopped carrots and celery stalks.

Brian Rodenborn
Nancy Young

Mark Shaw wrote:

> Well, she's a good old dog, and I'll miss her terribly when she
> goes (in addition to being nearly 14, she has advanced liver
> cancer). So I try to treat her as good as I can while she's
> here. I also boil yams and sweet potatoes for her, and some
> days she gets canned tuna or salmon. And you don't even want
> to know about her medical bills....

I'm sorry about your dog, a lot of us have been through it. I had
a dog with liver problems, she was on a low protein diet, apparently
it's hard on a weak liver. No chicken for her, she got sick AND
tired of potatoes and pasta despite her initial delight in those
treats.

Yeah, and I know about the medical bill part, too. Give your dog
a hug for me.

nancy

Greykits

>>>My geriatric dog is on a special diet that requires that I
>>>boil a couple of chickens weekly for her.

>>Your dog is lucky to have such an owner.

>Well, she's a good old dog, and I'll miss her terribly when she
>goes (in addition to being nearly 14, she has advanced liver
>cancer). So I try to treat her as good as I can while she's
>here. I also boil yams and sweet potatoes for her, and some
>days she gets canned tuna or salmon. And you don't even want
>to know about her medical bills....

Sorry about your old friend. I had an old feline friend from my childhood and
I catered to her a lot when she was a twenty-year-old.

>Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. I think I'll
>start reducing the stock with the bones -- I typically debone
>the chicken soon after it's done, so they're right there for me
>to crack and toss back into the pot.

Sounds like a good plan.

I have a vegetarian neighbor with three large dogs who cooks up lots of
chickens for them.

I sometimes wonder about feeding premium foods to pets with no health problems.
Amber just ate mostly store brand food and lived a long and happy life. She
really took to that Crave brand of kibble for some reason, and so did other
people's cats of my acquaintance. When my eight-year-olds were younger, I just
fed them Eukanaba, but it got harder to find here, so they're on store brands
now.

I do see some food snobbery with some petkeepers. One neighbor uses only
premium food for her cats. One of her cats looks like our James' sister so
much that we've mistaken her for him. But these cats don't have the nice coats
that our cats do; they look a little scrawny.

Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw

rharps.com
Sylvia

I agree with those who suggested re-using it and reducing it to make it
stronger, but if you still wind up with more than you can use, why not
collect it and then offer it to a soup kitchen? The Salvation Army
usually runs one and they're always thrilled with food donations.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com