Default Chicken Stock

Mine always gels but I add the one ingredient that no one has mentioned: one
to two teaspoons of unflavored gelatin.

Never fails.

Something about mountains and profets coming or going..

Someone

bob wrote:

> WOW, that was the funniest most informative post i have read in a while. I
> definetley see looking back of course, some mistakes I made. \
>
> Thnaks for all of the good info.
>
> By the way, I took some of my non-gelled stocked and made chicken soup... It
> was delicious! I used Tarragon and parsley, Chopped up some celery, onion
> and garlic, egg noodles. I thought it was good.
>
> Next stock we will see if it gelled.
>
> Thanks again!
> "bob" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I cooked some chicken stock last night. When I woke this morning I found
> > that the stock did not gel at all. The fat solidified on top but no gel.
> >
> > What did I do wrong, and can I fix it?
> >
> > Thanks

Nick

Gelatinization occurs from the natural pectin present in the bones of the
chicken. I have found that when I use too few bones or too much water or
don't reduce enough then I get a less gelled stock. I cannot say that this
is a bad thing though.
You could try reducing your stock more or waiting until you have more bones.
I think adding gelatin would certainly work, but what is the point? The
result would be somewhat unnatural and maybe a bit too gel-like with out the
accompanying unctuousness.

But that is just my 2 cents...
-N

> wrote in message
> Mine always gels but I add the one ingredient that no one has mentioned:

one
> to two teaspoons of unflavored gelatin.
>
> Never fails.
>
> Something about mountains and profets coming or going..
>
> Someone
>
> bob wrote:
> >
> > WOW, that was the funniest most informative post i have read in a while.

> > definetley see looking back of course, some mistakes I made. \
> >
> > Thnaks for all of the good info.
> >
> > By the way, I took some of my non-gelled stocked and made chicken

soup... It
> > was delicious! I used Tarragon and parsley, Chopped up some celery,

onion
> > and garlic, egg noodles. I thought it was good.
> >
> > Next stock we will see if it gelled.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> > "bob" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I cooked some chicken stock last night. When I woke this morning I

found
> > > that the stock did not gel at all. The fat solidified on top but no

gel.

> > > What did I do wrong, and can I fix it?
> > >
> > > Thanks

PENMART01

"NickPeckerhead" > writes:

>Gelatinization occurs from the natural pectin present in the bones of the
>chicken.

Chicken grows on apple trees, eh? Idiot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Peter Aitken

"Nick" <npdweb@nick-dawson.[removeme]com> wrote in message
> Gelatinization occurs from the natural pectin present in the bones of the
> chicken. I have found that when I use too few bones or too much water or
> don't reduce enough then I get a less gelled stock. I cannot say that this
> is a bad thing though.
> You could try reducing your stock more or waiting until you have more

bones.
> I think adding gelatin would certainly work, but what is the point? The
> result would be somewhat unnatural and maybe a bit too gel-like with out

the
> accompanying unctuousness.
>
> But that is just my 2 cents...
> -N

I think you are right. Adding gelating is silly and misses the point. To
have a stock gel is not desirable in itself, unless you want to make an
aspic. Rather, gelling is a sign that the stock was made with the proper
qualtity and quality of ingredients and will taste good. It's like a roast
being brown - you do not care about the color per se, but a nice brown roast
is a sign that it has been cooked properly and will taste good. You can add
gelatin to water and have it gel - so what?

--
Peter Aitken

Nick

mis-spoke... was thinking one thing and typed another.
Then again, I am not sure you warrant a response.
Are you always this uptight about posts on an internet news group?

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "NickPeckerhead" > writes:
> >
> >Gelatinization occurs from the natural pectin present in the bones of the
> >chicken.

> Chicken grows on apple trees, eh? Idiot.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Chris Lemon

> mis-spoke... was thinking one thing and typed another.
> Then again, I am not sure you warrant a response.
> Are you always this uptight about posts on an internet news group?

Yes. Sheldon is our resident ****wit, which for some reason people still
tolerate around here. You are best served killfiling him.
--
Chris Lemon

http://fredsmythe.com
EFNet: FredSmyth

Nick

Hey nice tip...
Just found the "block sender" option in my news reader... never knew it
existed.

Thanks!

http://fredsmythe.com