Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kid in pressure cooker

That's what was for dinner.

Sauté some coarsely-choped onions in clarified butter.

Cut the kid meat (about 1.4 kg/ 3.1 pounds total of kid leg), in fairly
large pieces, removing as much silverskin as possible. Make incisions
in the meat and insert a sliver of garlic into each one.

Brown the meat quickly in clarified butter in an open pressure cooker,
then deglaze with white wine (I used Grüner Veltliner).

Add the onions, a small canful of San Marzano tomatoes, chopped, and bit
of good broth (mixture of beef and chicken). Add some marjoram,
rosemary, savory, allspice, two cloves, a few juniper berries, a small
handful of Szechuan peppercorns, a small handful powdered dried (and
soaked) ceps (porcini) mushrooms with their soaking liquid), a few more
whole garlic cloves, salt and pepper.

Seal the pressure cooker, bring up to pressure over high heat, reduce
heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and let cook for 25
minutes. Let stand a bit, then release the pressure quickly.

Add sliced potatoes, seal the cooker again, bring up to pressure, lower
the heat and let cook for no longer than ten minutes. Remove from the
heat and let the pressure fall naturally.

Some things can taste nearly as good, but nothing can possibly taste or
smell better.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> That's what was for dinner.
>
> Sauté some coarsely-choped onions in clarified butter.

Gosh, and I thought one of your children was denying having wrecked the car.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 6:58 pm, Julia Altshuler > wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
> > That's what was for dinner.

> > Sauté some coarsely-choped onions in clarified butter.

> Gosh, and I thought one of your children was denying having wrecked the car.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Oh yes, I remember. And there were several cases of the same thing where
> the mother was suffering Post Partum Depression and they microwaved the
> baby. It is a rare when this happens, but there seems to be quite a few
> cases of this horrible way to murder an infant.

This sounded so bizarre that I checked Snopes.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/cookbaby.asp
Quel surprise!

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> When I was active in a crime group cases like this would pop up now and
> then. Don't you find it unfathonable? I can't even comprehend it.

That's the thing about all tabloid crime. There's this natural tendency
to want to understand how someone could do such a thing coupled with not
wanting to know. It's why I avoid crime stories on the news and would
never seek out more on a crime group. They make me uncomfortable, and I
get enough of that in my life. I do admire people who work in abnormal
psyche and in detective and crime work. The society needs people do
that work just like it needs people to work on sewers. I don't want to
do it so I'm grateful to people do.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 09:13:38 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>>
>> Oh yes, I remember. And there were several cases of the same thing where
>> the mother was suffering Post Partum Depression and they microwaved the
>> baby. It is a rare when this happens, but there seems to be quite a few
>> cases of this horrible way to murder an infant.

>This sounded so bizarre that I checked Snopes.
>http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/cookbaby.asp
>Quel surprise!
>

>--Lia

at least snopes said the l.s.d. thing was bullshit.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Victor Sack) wrote:

> That's what was for dinner.

Goat - The other red meat. Popular in some Mexican cuisines,
some parts of Texas, some Indian cuisines. For a while I could
only find it chopped up like stew meat but lately I've seen sizable
cuts at Halal places.

> Sauté some coarsely-choped onions in clarified butter.
>
> Cut the kid meat (about 1.4 kg/ 3.1 pounds total of kid leg), in fairly
> large pieces, removing as much silverskin as possible. *Make incisions
> in the meat and insert a sliver of garlic into each one.
>
> Brown the meat quickly in clarified butter in an open pressure cooker,
> then deglaze with white wine (I used Grüner Veltliner).
>
> Add the onions, a small canful of San Marzano tomatoes, chopped, and bit
> of good broth (mixture of beef and chicken). *Add some marjoram,
> rosemary, savory, allspice, two cloves, a few juniper berries, a small
> handful of Szechuan peppercorns, a small handful powdered dried (and
> soaked) ceps (porcini) mushrooms with their soaking liquid), a few more
> whole garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
>
> Seal the pressure cooker, bring up to pressure over high heat, reduce
> heat to as low as possible to maintain the pressure and let cook for 25
> minutes. *Let stand a bit, then release the pressure quickly.
>
> Add sliced potatoes, seal the cooker again, bring up to pressure, lower
> the heat and let cook for no longer than ten minutes. *Remove from the
> heat and let the pressure fall naturally.
>
> Some things can taste nearly as good, but nothing can possibly taste or
> smell better.
>
> Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Goat - The other red meat.

Goat, perhaps, but not kid. Kid is as white as any meat and has a
totally different taste.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Gosh, and I thought one of your children was denying having wrecked the car.

Can well imagine doing that to my wayward grandson, Harry, if he wrecks
some beet dish yet again.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:36:33 -0800 (PST), Doug Freyburger

(Victor Sack) wrote:

>> That's what was for dinner.

>Goat - The other red meat. Popular in some Mexican cuisines,
>some parts of Texas, some Indian cuisines. For a while I could
>only find it chopped up like stew meat but lately I've seen sizable
>cuts at Halal places.

i see goat hunks quite frequently in the grocery near me (giant, metro
d.c.). maybe i'll try some in chili sometime.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:36:33 -0800 (PST),
>
> i see goat hunks quite frequently in the grocery near me (giant, metro
> d.c.). maybe i'll try some in chili sometime.
>
> your pal,
> blake

They've always had goat and kid at the big butcher at the wholesale market
at Florida and New York, too. Along with more exotic things, including some
many men are sensitive about.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> i see goat hunks quite frequently in the grocery near me (giant, metro
> d.c.). maybe i'll try some in chili sometime.

Consider the Mexican birria, the Kashmiri rogan josh, or the Jamaican
curried goat.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:

>Consider the Mexican birria, the Kashmiri rogan josh, or the Jamaican
>curried goat.

I'll second the latter suggestion ... particularly in a goat roti,
wherein curried goat fills a large flat yeastbread turnover.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:36:33 -0800 (PST),
>>
>> i see goat hunks quite frequently in the grocery near me (giant,
>> metro d.c.). maybe i'll try some in chili sometime.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> They've always had goat and kid at the big butcher at the wholesale
> market at Florida and New York, too. Along with more exotic things,
> including some many men are sensitive about.

<g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Giusi wrote:
>> "blake murphy" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:36:33 -0800 (PST),
>>>
>>> i see goat hunks quite frequently in the grocery near me (giant,
>>> metro d.c.). maybe i'll try some in chili sometime.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> They've always had goat and kid at the big butcher at the wholesale
>> market at Florida and New York, too. Along with more exotic things,
>> including some many men are sensitive about.

> <g>

A butcher sells Lamborghinis and Ferraris ?
And Cray super-computers ?
I don't believe this !

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner