Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help: My corkscrew broke

I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
suggestions to get the cork out?

thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If the corkscrew is still embedded in the synthetic cork, then get a
pair of heavy duty pliers and wrestle it out.

If not, you'll probably need another corkscrew. Natural corks are
fairly easy to push into the bottle and then decant the wine. BUt
synthetics are not so easy - and you want to not pound it in for fear
of breaking the bottle.

On 2007-12-24 11:49:42 -0800, "
> said:

> I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> suggestions to get the cork out?
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:49:42 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
>because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
>not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
>suggestions to get the cork out?
>
>thanks
>
>Tom

I have had the same trouble with plastic "corks". I have been known
to push the cork in, after removing the metal part and sort of pour
around the bobbing cork. I figure the plastic is sterile and I'd hate
to lose the whole bottle of wine because of mechanics.

A Mele Kalikimaka (Merry Christmas) and a Hauoli Makahiki Hou (Happy
New Year) to all in RFC from the Pacific!

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My corkscrew broke

Very carefully break off the top of the bottle and then pour the wine into a
Dixie cup

> wrote in message
>I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> suggestions to get the cork out?
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> suggestions to get the cork out?

You don't have more than one corkscrew in the house? Shame on you. Don't
blame the plastic cork. They come out just as easily as cork. It is
re-corking the bottle where they fall short. Try screwing a large screw
into the cork and pull it out with a pair of pliers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Just whack the top of the bottle swiftly against the edge of your
> granite counter top and then filter the contents through
> cheesecloth or a coffee filter.

or find your local cavalry man and he'll whack the end off with his saber...

you only had one corkscrew??!! yikes.

joe
up north

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 24, 2:49�pm, " >
wrote:
> I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had �"plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> suggestions to get the cork out?

I've made a makeshift corkscrew from a wire coat hanger... unwind
about half that twisted portion and nip off with pliers... leave some
doubled for ridgidity. I've also drilled a wine cork out with a 3/8"
drill bit. I've done this with real cork, not plastic cork. When
you buy your new corkscrew buy two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork.
> There is not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve",
> what are some suggestions to get the cork out?

You don't have any friends that live nearby
that would allow you to borrow their corkscrew.
A neighbor, perhaps?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> There is not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve",

Call a liquor store that does delivery, put in a huge order
of booze and ask them to add a corkscrew, and tip them
generously.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> suggestions to get the cork out?
>
> thanks
>
> Tom

I went out with this biker chick once. She could suck a golf ball through a
garden hose. She could suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch. She could
suck-start an oldsmobile. She could get that cork out of that bottle.

Mitch

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Call a liquor store that does delivery, put in a huge order
> of booze and ask them to add a corkscrew, and tip them
> generously.
>
> Steve

I live in Pennsylvania, and we only have state stores. They only
deliver tax increases. I like the cliff hanger suggestion. This was
the second cork screw I broke with the cork. How many backups would
someone need especially on Chirstmas eve. My neighbors only drink
whiskey and beer.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> " wrote:
> >
> > I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke \

> You don't have more than one corkscrew in the house?

I only have one. If it were to break, I'd just go Walgreens and get a
new one, take maybe 20 minutes tops.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:49:42 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
>because the wine had "plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
>not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
>suggestions to get the cork out?
>
>thanks

Got any tools in the house? I'm thinking maybe a big drywall screw, a
drill with the appropriate bit in it, a pair of vicegrips, and some
sweating cussing and groaning.
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 24, 2:17*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> " wrote:
>
> > I was opening a bottle of wine, and the corkscrew broke probably
> > because the wine had *"plastic" cork" instead of real cork. There is
> > not time to run out and get a new one "Christmas eve", what are some
> > suggestions to get the cork out?

> You don't have more than one corkscrew in the house? *Shame on you. *Don't
> blame the plastic cork. They come out just as easily as cork. It is
> re-corking the bottle where they fall short. Try screwing a large screw
> into the cork and pull it out with a pair of pliers.

Screw *that*.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:34:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>> Call a liquor store that does delivery, put in a huge order
>> of booze and ask them to add a corkscrew, and tip them
>> generously.
>>
>> Steve

>I live in Pennsylvania, and we only have state stores. They only
>deliver tax increases. I like the cliff hanger suggestion. This was
>the second cork screw I broke with the cork. How many backups would
>someone need especially on Chirstmas eve. My neighbors only drink
>whiskey and beer.
>
>Tom

maybe your neighbors are onto something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch Scherer" wrote:

> I went out with this biker chick once. �She could suck a golf ball through a
> garden hose. �She could suck the chrome off of a trailer hitch. �She could
> suck-start an oldsmobile. �She could get that cork out of that bottle.

You went out with her just once... a normal man would have married
her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 21:26:40 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:34:15 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>
>>> Call a liquor store that does delivery, put in a huge order
>>> of booze and ask them to add a corkscrew, and tip them
>>> generously.
>>>
>>> Steve

>>I live in Pennsylvania, and we only have state stores. They only
>>deliver tax increases. I like the cliff hanger suggestion. This was
>>the second cork screw I broke with the cork. How many backups would
>>someone need especially on Chirstmas eve. My neighbors only drink
>>whiskey and beer.
>>
>>Tom
>>

>maybe your neighbors are onto something.

Screw caps on good wine is back in style now...

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>I live in Pennsylvania, and we only have state stores. They only
>>deliver tax increases. I like the cliff hanger suggestion. This was
>>the second cork screw I broke with the cork. How many backups would
>>someone need especially on Chirstmas eve. My neighbors only drink
>>whiskey and beer.

I've had the corkscrew I keep in work break on me. What I did was to get a
large sheetmetal screw and put that into the cork and used large pliers to
pull it out. I has someone hold the bottle while I leveraged the pliers on
the edge of a table. I now keep a spare in my desk.

[To music][ ''m so broke, I'm so broke. I'm broke, I'm broke I'm broke! Dimitri General Cooking 4 30-11-2012 12:06 AM
This Isn't A Corkscrew, Is It? Mark Thorson General Cooking 12 04-10-2007 05:46 AM
Oster Corkscrew Fred[_2_] Wine 0 30-09-2007 10:35 AM
Corkscrew Bubba Wine 1 25-07-2005 04:12 AM
corkscrew annie Wine 39 17-05-2004 05:32 PM