Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Suggest a vegetarian cookbook please

I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
What's a good all around book?
Thanks
tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:33:36 -0500, none > wrote:

>I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>What's a good all around book?
>Thanks
>tom

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, by Deborah Madison.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

none wrote:
> I'm not a Vegan but I don't like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book?

_The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.

Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:33:36 -0500, none > wrote:

>I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>What's a good all around book?
>Thanks
>tom

Any of Debroah Madison's books are great. I tend to use "Vegetarian
Cooking for Everyone" the most.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none wrote:

> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book?
> Thanks

This isn't really a recommendation, but allow me to date myself by
mentioning "Tassajara Cooking".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none > wrote in news:rgbqm3lsqfnj1hkb1ao5c7r5l4s8pulsp9@
4ax.com:

> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book?
> Thanks
> tom

_Vegetariana_ by Nava Atlas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 22, 7:33*am, none > wrote:
> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book? *

"How To Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. Note: I don't
have this, but I have and think highly of his two other large tomes.
Sight unseen, I am confident this one is about the food and cooking,
devoid of preachiness. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. It has sections on dairy, breads,
beverages, etc.

-T

"none" > wrote in message
> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book?
> Thanks
> tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> none wrote:
>
> > I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> > What's a good all around book?
> > Thanks

> This isn't really a recommendation, but allow me to date myself by
> mentioning "Tassajara Cooking".

My MIL has a copy of the Tassajara Bread Book, and the recipes are
excellent. The book you mention is probably just as good.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:

> In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> none wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>> > What's a good all around book?
>> > Thanks

>> This isn't really a recommendation, but allow me to date myself by
>> mentioning "Tassajara Cooking".

> My MIL has a copy of the Tassajara Bread Book, and the recipes are
> excellent. The book you mention is probably just as good.

I've never been a baker.

Tassajara is still around: http://www.sfzc.org/tassajara/

From the same era - the early 1970s - I also have "The Vegetarian Epicure"
and "The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two" by Anna Thomas. I'm no longer even
the mostly-vegetarian I was back then, but now that I've dragged these
down from the top shelf perhaps I'll keep them down and see if they draw
my attention.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:26:27 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

>On Dec 22, 7:33*am, none > wrote:
>> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>> What's a good all around book? *
>>

>"How To Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman. Note: I don't
>have this, but I have and think highly of his two other large tomes.
>Sight unseen, I am confident this one is about the food and cooking,
>devoid of preachiness. -aem

Bittman is a treasure, to be sure. D swears by "How to cook
everything."
--

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote in
news
> From the same era - the early 1970s - I also have "The
> Vegetarian Epicure" and "The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two"
> by Anna Thomas. I'm no longer even the mostly-vegetarian I
> was back then, but now that I've dragged these down from
> the top shelf perhaps I'll keep them down and see if they
> draw my attention.

Anna Thomas has a newer cookbook out called the New
Vegetarian Epicure. the recipes are a bit "lighter", not so
much butter & cream as the original Vegetarian Epicure, and
it's set up in meal groupings instead of sections for salad,
soup, main dish, etc.
my Vegetarian Epicure is in pieces. sad.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:18:44 +1300, Miche >
wrote:

>In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> none wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>> > What's a good all around book?
>> > Thanks

>> This isn't really a recommendation, but allow me to date myself by
>> mentioning "Tassajara Cooking".

>My MIL has a copy of the Tassajara Bread Book, and the recipes are
>excellent.

Look for The Greens Cookbook by Deborah Madison.
The Greens Restaurant opened in 1979 and is still in business.
http://www.greensrestaurant.com/about.html

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> none wrote:
>> I'm not a Vegan but I don't like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>> What's a good all around book?

> _The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.
>

> Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.
>

> --Lia

_Laurel's Kitchen_

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:04:17 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> none wrote:
>>> I'm not a Vegan but I don't like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>>> What's a good all around book?

>> _The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.
>>

>> Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

>_Laurel's Kitchen_

That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:54:11 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:04:17 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>>

>>> _The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.
>>>

>>> Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.
>>>

>>> --Lia
>>>

>>_Laurel's Kitchen_
>>

>That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

_Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
years ago. I do remember that even my dog wouldn't touch it. =(

I second Molly Katzen / Moosewood cookbooks and raise you The
Vegetarian Epicure or other book by Anna Thomas.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:54:52 -0800, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>none wrote:
>
>> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>> What's a good all around book?
>> Thanks

>This isn't really a recommendation, but allow me to date myself by
>mentioning "Tassajara Cooking".

Yeah, that one's good too. Also the one the folks at the Farm put out,
for "hippie style" vegetarian recipes.

Regards,
Tracy R.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy R. wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:54:11 -0800, sf wrote:

>>>_Laurel's Kitchen_
>>>

>>That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

> _Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
> completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
> that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
> years ago. I do remember that even my dog wouldn't touch it. =(
>
> I second Molly Katzen / Moosewood cookbooks and raise you The Vegetarian
> Epicure or other book by Anna Thomas.

Yeah, I mentioned the VE books (VE and VE Book Two, that I know of), but I
haven't heard of or thought about Moosewood in years.

Hey. Moosewood in the James Beard Foundation's Cookbook Hall of Fame as
of 2007:

http://www.tenspeedpress.com/books/f...odCookbook.htm

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 22, 9:33�am, none > wrote:
> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book? �
> Thanks
> tom

Not all vegan , but try The Moosewood Cookbook for some good recipes.
Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy R. wrote:

> _Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
> completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
> that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
> years ago. I do remember that even my dog wouldn't touch it. =(

Besides, L'sK isn't what the original poster is looking for. He wanted
a vegetable cookbook that would compliment his diet that includes meat,
not a nutrition guide for going completely vegetarian.

I never thought about it in those terms before, but you're right. I
used to read L'sK for the general information, but when I wanted recipes,
I preferred the cookbooks that went heavier on the cheese and eggs and
that weren't quite so devoted to whole grain everything.

Speaking of recommended vegetarian cookbooks, I'm proud of the fact that
my Moosewood Cookbook has the original index arranged by food group.
The later editions had a more standard alphabetized index. The book is
falling apart, but I won't replace it because I've got a rare first edition.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:54:11 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:04:17 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>>

>>> _The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.
>>>

>>> Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.
>>>

>>> --Lia
>>>

>>_Laurel's Kitchen_
>>

>That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

how so?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:47:24 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:54:11 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:04:17 -0600, zxcvbob >
>>wrote:

>>>_Laurel's Kitchen_
>>>

>>That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

>how so?

I think that's already been covered here.... the recipes weren't very
good although the general information part was ok.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:04:17 -0600, zxcvbob >

>>_Laurel's Kitchen_

>That one stirred a lot of controversy in it's day

That surprises me. What sort of controversy?

(I do recall her position that most vegans were okay with
eating honey being widely disbelieved.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy R. > wrote:

>_Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
>completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
>that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
>years ago.

I think that's an atypical experience.

Laurel's Kitchen has the definitive method for making whole-wheat
bread (not "half-whole wheat" as is common in some circles).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>That surprises me. What sort of controversy?

>>(I do recall her position that most vegans were okay with
>>eating honey being widely disbelieved.)

>Some recipes were awful. I never cooked from it (although I have the
>book), but it was very popular in my circle of friends... so I'm
>reflecting what I heard about it (in that era).

I'll believe it is not reliable as a cookbook; I only ever
cooked a fraction of recipes from it, and picked ones that
sounded good. Mostly I've used the nutritional data in it
as a reference.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

none wrote:
> I'm not a Vegan but I dont like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
> What's a good all around book?

Vegan With A Vengeance is my current fave. You can see some of the
shows that inspired it at
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...chen+Isa+Terry

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> none wrote:
>>> I'm not a Vegan but I don't like to eat meat ALL the time anymore.
>>> What's a good all around book?

>> _The Victory Garden Cookbook_ by Marian Morash.
>>

>> Anything by Mollie Katzen or anything with Moosewood in the title.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> _Laurel's Kitchen_

Laurel's Kitchen is *really* *really* well-written, but I've been
using the cookbook for 25 years and nothing's ever come out the way
it should. It's probably me, but I stopped recommending the recipes
years ago. The writing is still wonderful, though.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy R. wrote:

> _Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
> completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
> that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
> years ago. I do remember that even my dog wouldn't touch it. =(

I kept the book for the wonderful text, but I agree, the recipes
kind of stink.

> I second Molly Katzen / Moosewood cookbooks and raise you The
> Vegetarian Epicure or other book by Anna Thomas.

Yep, or another fave of mine is The Spice Box (vegetarian Indian
cooking). The best dal I ever made came out of that book, and here's
the recipe:

Masoor Dal (Pink Lentil Curry), from The Spice Box, by Manju Shivraj
Singh

[Author's note: This is the quickest dal to cook -- it takes only 20
minutes without using a pressure cooker. The pink color of the
lentils becomes pale yellow once it is cooked. The flavor is more
subtle than the green lentils.]

1 cup pink lentils
3 cups water
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp garam masala powder

Baghar:

1 tablespoon oil or ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I use less when a non-spicy person is eating)
1 tsp coriander powder

Garnish:

2 slices onion, fried till golden in oil (I use up to two whole
sliced onions here -- people like adding more onions to it)
a few chopped fresh coriander or mint leaves (I use coriander)

Carefully pick over the lentils, discarding discolored ones or any
foreign matter. Wash in a sieve under running water. In a heavy
saucepan boil the lentils in water with turmeric. When cooked, turn
off heat; add salt, lemon juice, and garam masala.

Heat oil; add cumin seeds. Fry 2 minutes. Turn off heat. Add
cayenne and coriander. Stir and pour over the cooked lentils. Mix
well. (At this point, I ladle the dal into individual serving
dishes.) Garnish.

Serves 6 (but two hungry people can polish it off as a big meal with
some naan or pita or rice)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Tracy R. > wrote:
>
>> _Laurel's Kitchen_ is one I definately =don't= recommend. The only
>> completely inedible thing I ever cooked in my life was a nut loaf from
>> that book. I forget the exact name of the recipe; I tossed the book
>> years ago.

> I think that's an atypical experience.
>
> Laurel's Kitchen has the definitive method for making whole-wheat
> bread (not "half-whole wheat" as is common in some circles).

Have you had success with their method, then? I turned out bricks
using it, but have made whole-wheat bread since them with success.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Laurel's Kitchen has the definitive method for making whole-wheat
>> bread (not "half-whole wheat" as is common in some circles).

>Have you had success with their method, then? I turned out bricks
>using it, but have made whole-wheat bread since them with success.

I did not have much luck with that method, but a friend of
mine made very good bread with it. I basically suck at bread-making,
except for no-knead methods.

Steve