Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default European Cuisine Vegetarian Cookbook?

My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all the classics. Does
anyone know of any really cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
might have missed? Russian? Polish?

thanks,

Don

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all
> the classics. Does anyone know of any really
> cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
> might have missed? Russian? Polish?

I'd be surprised if you could find one. European peasant cooking traditions
tend to be relatively heavy on the meat -- or at least animal fat -- with
vegetarian-type dishes being limited to seasonal, spring/summer harvest
dishes. If she's not specifically looking for vegetarian dishes, why not
"Please to the Table," which is about traditional Russian dishes, or Luard's
"The Old World Kitchen," which is an overview of European peasant food. I
haven't read the former, but love the latter and have found that the
Scandinavian dishes in it are quite accurate.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all the classics. Does
> anyone know of any really cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
> might have missed? Russian? Polish?

Using "vegetarian" and "cuisine" in the same line is an oxymoron.

;o) Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> schreef in bericht
oups.com...
> My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all the classics. Does
> anyone know of any really cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
> might have missed? Russian? Polish?
>
> thanks,
>
> Don

I seem to remember there were a lot of veggie recipes in The River Cafe
cookbooks. In fact, the green version might focus on veg even mroe. But it's
been a long time since I've glanced at them in the store. A web search could
help you, of course.

Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer has lots of veggie recipes. Then there's
Jane Grigson's classic book on vegetables.

I suspect noen of tehse titels are exclusively vegetarian, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Jke" > schreef in bericht

> > schreef in bericht
> oups.com...
>> My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all the classics. Does
>> anyone know of any really cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
>> might have missed? Russian? Polish?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Don

> I seem to remember there were a lot of veggie recipes in The River Cafe
> cookbooks. In fact, the green version might focus on veg even mroe. But
> it's been a long time since I've glanced at them in the store. A web
> search could help you, of course.
>
> Nigella Lawson's Forever Summer has lots of veggie recipes. Then there's
> Jane Grigson's classic book on vegetables.
>
> I suspect noen of tehse titels are exclusively vegetarian, though.

An addition: Paul Gayler's "Passion for Vegtables". I ahve it and I love it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can't name a specific cookbook, but have you tried looking in the
kosher section of the cookbook aisle? Since kosher cooking involves
keeping meat and dairy separate, the dairy part of the cookbook is
vegetarian. And since Jews keeping kosher lived all over Europe, kosher
cookbooks become sort of default European vegetarian ones.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>> My wife is a big cookbook fan. She's got all
>> the classics. Does anyone know of any really
>> cool European vegetarian cookbooks that I
>> might have missed? Russian? Polish?

> I'd be surprised if you could find one. European peasant cooking
> traditions tend to be relatively heavy on the meat -- or at least
> animal fat -- with vegetarian-type dishes being limited to seasonal,
> spring/summer harvest dishes. If she's not specifically looking for
> vegetarian dishes, why not "Please to the Table," which is about
> traditional Russian dishes, or Luard's "The Old World Kitchen," which
> is an overview of European peasant food. I haven't read the former,
> but love the latter and have found that the Scandinavian dishes in it
> are quite accurate.
>
> -j

I absolutely *adore* Elizabeth Luards's "The Old World Kitchen". It's
definitely not geared towards the vegetarian or vegan cuisine, but the
recipes are true to the regions represented. It's fun

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

two words:

South India