Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Advanced ancient cooking

It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to
r.food.recipes! I quote from today's recipes.

"Ezekiel Bread

This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he
was in
the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The
recipe calls
for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried
beans"

It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to r.food.recipes!
> I quote from today's recipes.
>
> "Ezekiel Bread
>
> This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he was in
> the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The recipe calls
> for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried beans"
>
> It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

Yup. I can just picture his wife saying "Honey, won't you just hop on
the donkey and go get me 2 packages of active dried yeast?"

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:

> > It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to r.food.recipes!
> > I quote from today's recipes.

> > It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

> Yup. I can just picture his wife saying "Honey, won't you just hop onÝ
> the donkey and go get me 2 packages of active dried yeast?"

It's not the yeast, it's the pinto beans -- that donkey would have
to cross the Atlantic!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Siemon wrote:
> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to r.food.recipes!
>>> I quote from today's recipes.

>>> It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

>> Yup. I can just picture his wife saying "Honey, won't you just hop onÝ
>> the donkey and go get me 2 packages of active dried yeast?"

> It's not the yeast, it's the pinto beans -- that donkey would have
> to cross the Atlantic!

LOL. This is true.... long swim.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to
> r.food.recipes! I quote from today's recipes.
>
> "Ezekiel Bread
>
> This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he
> was in
> the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The
> recipe calls
> for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried
> beans"
>
> It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

LOL weren't they supposed to be the Israeilites? Unlevened bread or
something like that. I'm not up on the Bible.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
> > It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to
> > r.food.recipes! I quote from today's recipes.
> >
> > "Ezekiel Bread
> >
> > This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he
> > was in
> > the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The
> > recipe calls
> > for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried
> > beans"
> >
> > It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.
> >

> LOL weren't they supposed to be the Israeilites? Unlevened bread or
> something like that. I'm not up on the Bible.

The Israelites ate leavened bread, but not at Passover.

miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> James Silverton wrote:
>> > It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to
>> > r.food.recipes! I quote from today's recipes.
>> >
>> > "Ezekiel Bread
>> >
>> > This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he
>> > was in
>> > the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The
>> > recipe calls
>> > for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried
>> > beans"
>> >
>> > It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.
>> >

>> LOL weren't they supposed to be the Israeilites? Unlevened bread or
>> something like that. I'm not up on the Bible.

> The Israelites ate leavened bread, but not at Passover.
>
> miche

Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History (Paperback)
by H.E. Jacob (Author), Peter Reinhart

From ancient Egypt to modern times, bread is the essential food, the symbol
of fundamental well-being. H.E. Jacob takes readers through the history of
this staple, examining its role in politics, religion, and technology, and
answering such questions as how bread caused Napoleon's defeat. The
fascinating voyage begins with "The Bread of Prehistoric Man," and continues
with an exploration of the plow, the discovery of baking, the Grecian
passion for seed corn and reverence for the bread goddess Demeter, the
significance of the Bible's many references to bread, and how bread
contributed to the outcome of World

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> LOL weren't they supposed to be the Israeilites? Unlevened bread or
>>> something like that. I'm not up on the Bible.

>> The Israelites ate leavened bread, but not at Passover.
>>
>> miche
>>

> Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History (Paperback)
> by H.E. Jacob (Author), Peter Reinhart
>
> From ancient Egypt to modern times, bread is the essential food, the
> symbol of fundamental well-being. H.E. Jacob takes readers through
> the history of this staple, examining its role in politics, religion,
> and technology, and answering such questions as how bread caused
> Napoleon's defeat. The fascinating voyage begins with "The Bread of
> Prehistoric Man," and continues with an exploration of the plow, the
> discovery of baking, the Grecian passion for seed corn and reverence
> for the bread goddess Demeter, the significance of the Bible's many
> references to bread, and how bread contributed to the outcome of World
>
> Dee Dee

Tell that to the no-carbers. I never said I was against bread, just that I
don't think that recipe had anything to do with Ezekiel or the Israelites.
I'm not religious but I do read

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> The Israelites ate leavened bread, but not at Passover.
>>>
>>> miche
>>>

>> Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History (Paperback)
>> by H.E. Jacob (Author), Peter Reinhart
>>
>> From ancient Egypt to modern times, bread is the essential food, the
>> symbol of fundamental well-being. H.E. Jacob takes readers through
>> the history of this staple, examining its role in politics, religion,
>> and technology, and answering such questions as how bread caused
>> Napoleon's defeat. The fascinating voyage begins with "The Bread of
>> Prehistoric Man," and continues with an exploration of the plow, the
>> discovery of baking, the Grecian passion for seed corn and reverence
>> for the bread goddess Demeter, the significance of the Bible's many
>> references to bread, and how bread contributed to the outcome of World
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Tell that to the no-carbers. I never said I was against bread, just that
> don't think that recipe had anything to do with Ezekiel or the Israelites.
> I'm not religious but I do read

I don't know if you are responding to me or not. I only posted a reference
book that I had seen at Amazon yesterday that looked sort of interesting,
but actually was in the category of 'more than I need/want to know.'
Offering it up for anyone who was/is interested.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> It's amazing how advanced were the ancients according to r.food.recipes! I
> quote from today's recipes.
>
> "Ezekiel Bread
>
> This is the bread that Ezekiel is said to have lived on while he was in
> the desert for two years. It is nutritionally complete. The recipe calls
> for grinding your own flour from a variety of grains and dried beans"
>
> It includes pinto beans and 2 packages of active dried yeast.

I have a fascinating book called "Prehistoric Cooking" by a British woman
called Jacqui Wood. She mentions a substance called 'bog butter' and it
seems that putting substances in a bog was indeed a way of preserving food:
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART20488.html