Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banquet mirrors?

Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

rickthecockroach wrote:

> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

Not exactly comprehensive, but worth a look:

http://www.carlynberghoffcatering.com/index.asp?menu=9

I've got some design oriented books laying around that I like.
I'll take a look and post some titles later.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rickthecockroach" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

You might poke around www.starchefs.com.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 29, 5:13 am, rickthecockroach >
wrote:
> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

Let try
http://www.thaifooddb.com/thai_desserts.html
This page show some kind of thai dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
rickthecockroach > wrote:

> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

What is a banquet mirror?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:29:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> rickthecockroach > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
>> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
>> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

>What is a banquet mirror?

A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 4:13 pm, rickthecockroach >
wrote:
> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

I've seen lots of unusual ideas glancing at "Platinum Weddings"
programs on the WE channel. You wouldn't believe (well, you probably
would, if you do banquets) what some of these over-the-top brides come
up with!

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 05:35:44a, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:29:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>In article
>,
>>rickthecockroach > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
>>> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
>>> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

>>What is a banquet mirror?

> A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
>
> Boron

I didn't know what they were called. My mother had one back in the 1950s,
with crystal swans that sat on top of it and a crystal vase to sit in the
middle. Back in the day, I think that was considered "elegant" for a
dining room table centerpiece. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: November 29th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 22hrs 54mins 30secs
I'm not fat, just horizontally
disproportionate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:

> A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
>
> Boron

The Libbey glass outlet stores has them. The prices are very
inexpensive, when compared to the ones I had previously purchased.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:04:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 05:35:44a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:29:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>,

>>>What is a banquet mirror?

>> A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>I didn't know what they were called. My mother had one back in the 1950s,
>with crystal swans that sat on top of it and a crystal vase to sit in the
>middle. Back in the day, I think that was considered "elegant" for a
>dining room table centerpiece. :-)

My mom had something, too, and it spent its time parked in the middle
of the dining room table.

For some reason, wax fruit is also in this memory.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:59:47 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>On Nov 28, 4:13 pm, rickthecockroach >
>wrote:
>> Does anyone know of books or websites that have designs for fruit,
>> cheese, dessert or any kind of banquet mirrors? I work in a large
>> hotel and I need to break the routine I'm in.

>I've seen lots of unusual ideas glancing at "Platinum Weddings"
>programs on the WE channel. You wouldn't believe (well, you probably
>would, if you do banquets) what some of these over-the-top brides come
>up with!
>
>N.

I've watched that show and the only thing I have ever seen on it that
I thought interesting was a fireworks display one bride wanted so she
could surprise her groom. For 6 grand I'll fly to Disneyworld and
watch theirs and still come home with change.

The whole idea of draping a place from stem to stern with Swarovski
crystals or going steroidal over the floral arrangements really makes
me think these couples have their priorities in the crapper.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 12:03:38p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:04:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 05:35:44a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:29:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

>,

>>> A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>I didn't know what they were called. My mother had one back in the

1950s,
>>with crystal swans that sat on top of it and a crystal vase to sit in the
>>middle. Back in the day, I think that was considered "elegant" for a
>>dining room table centerpiece. :-)

> My mom had something, too, and it spent its time parked in the middle
> of the dining room table.
>
> For some reason, wax fruit is also in this memory.
>
> Boron

LOL! Waxed fruit was parked in a crystal bowl on the sideboard. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: November 29th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 22hrs 54mins 30secs
I'm not fat, just horizontally
disproportionate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> Boron Elgar wrote:
>
> > A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
> >
> > Boron

> The Libbey glass outlet stores has them. The prices are very
> inexpensive, when compared to the ones I had previously purchased.
>
> Becca

Centerpieces or mirrored placemats. I have the mirrored mat thangs for
a centerpiece.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; 10-16-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Um, no.

A banquet mirror is a large mirror laying horizontally with artfully
arranged appetizers, fruits, cheeses, deli meats and/or desserts on
top, all centered around a centerpiece.

GiGi: That's all the things I keep finding; small dessert trays. I'm
looking for the big hotel style ones. Apparently, either no one does
them, no one cares about them, or they're a jealously guarded secret.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:22:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 12:03:38p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:04:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:

>>>I didn't know what they were called. My mother had one back in the

>1950s,
>>>with crystal swans that sat on top of it and a crystal vase to sit in the
>>>middle. Back in the day, I think that was considered "elegant" for a
>>>dining room table centerpiece. :-)

>> My mom had something, too, and it spent its time parked in the middle
>> of the dining room table.
>>
>> For some reason, wax fruit is also in this memory.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>LOL! Waxed fruit was parked in a crystal bowl on the sideboard. :-)

I remember trying to eat one of the apples....my mom wasn't happy.
Neither was my stomach.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:18:31 -0800 (PST), rickthecockroach
> wrote:

>Um, no.
>
>A banquet mirror is a large mirror laying horizontally with artfully
>arranged appetizers, fruits, cheeses, deli meats and/or desserts on
>top, all centered around a centerpiece.
>
>GiGi: That's all the things I keep finding; small dessert trays. I'm
>looking for the big hotel style ones. Apparently, either no one does
>them, no one cares about them, or they're a jealously guarded secret.

You've checked local catering supply houses?

This place sells them in 8" squares so you can make up something any
size you wish.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/mirrors1.html

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 01:20:06p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:22:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 12:03:38p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:04:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> My mom had something, too, and it spent its time parked in the middle
>>> of the dining room table.
>>>
>>> For some reason, wax fruit is also in this memory.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>LOL! Waxed fruit was parked in a crystal bowl on the sideboard. :-)

> I remember trying to eat one of the apples....my mom wasn't happy.
> Neither was my stomach.
>
> Boron

OH, that's too funny! I remember that one of my cousins tried to to that
at their home.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, November 29th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 10hrs 15mins
What do you get if you play New Age
music backwards? New Age music.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 01:18:31p, rickthecockroach meant to say...

> Um, no.
>
> A banquet mirror is a large mirror laying horizontally with artfully
> arranged appetizers, fruits, cheeses, deli meats and/or desserts on
> top, all centered around a centerpiece.
>
> GiGi: That's all the things I keep finding; small dessert trays. I'm
> looking for the big hotel style ones. Apparently, either no one does
> them, no one cares about them, or they're a jealously guarded secret.

It would certainly be easy to have a glas & mirror company cut one to the
size you want, either with plain or beveled or shaped edges.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, Nov 29,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 10hrs
'A gift of humanity is what I want for
Christmas!!' - Opus
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:49:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 01:20:06p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:22:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 12:03:38p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

>>>LOL! Waxed fruit was parked in a crystal bowl on the sideboard. :-)

>> I remember trying to eat one of the apples....my mom wasn't happy.
>> Neither was my stomach.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>OH, that's too funny! I remember that one of my cousins tried to to that
>at their home.

I'll bet there are a lot of people of our generation who have
attempted to dine on waxed fruit.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:10:50p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 20:49:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 01:20:06p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:22:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> I remember trying to eat one of the apples....my mom wasn't happy.
>>> Neither was my stomach.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>OH, that's too funny! I remember that one of my cousins tried to to that
>>at their home.

> I'll bet there are a lot of people of our generation who have
> attempted to dine on waxed fruit.
>
> Boron

I have no doubt! :-)

Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl in
one of our curio cabinets.

This isn't a really clear pictu

http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thu, 11/29/2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 9hrs 45mins
Never try to out stare a cat. They've
got no eyelids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:24:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:10:50p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>

>> I'll bet there are a lot of people of our generation who have
>> attempted to dine on waxed fruit.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>I have no doubt! :-)
>
>Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl in
>one of our curio cabinets.
>
>This isn't a really clear pictu
>
> http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg

Oh, clear enough to give a me great idea of what they look like. How
unusual and lovely and sparkly.

'Course, I could break a tooth trying to nibble on that.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >

> Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl
> in
> one of our curio cabinets.
>
> This isn't a really clear pictu
>
> http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Whoa! Wow! That's really pretty. I've never seen anything like that.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:38:50p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:24:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:10:50p, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>

>>> I'll bet there are a lot of people of our generation who have
>>> attempted to dine on waxed fruit.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>I have no doubt! :-)
>>
>>Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl
>>in one of our curio cabinets.
>>
>>This isn't a really clear pictu
>>
>> http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg

> Oh, clear enough to give a me great idea of what they look like. How
> unusual and lovely and sparkly.
>
> 'Course, I could break a tooth trying to nibble on that.
>
> Boron

Yes, I expect you could. :-) I originally wanted to put the bowl on the
dining room table, but the cats had other ideas for the fruit...great
things to bat around. Evil little devils, but I love them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, November(XI) 29th(XXIX),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 9hrs 15mins
Useless Invention: Low-calorie PowerBar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:48:49p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>
>> Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl
>> in one of our curio cabinets.
>>
>> This isn't a really clear pictu
>>
>> http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Whoa! Wow! That's really pretty. I've never seen anything like that.
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee Dee. I bought them at Bloomingdale's in NYC years ago. I
filled severeal crystal bowls with the pieces, as they as such nice color.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: November 29th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 2dys 9hrs
Ever stop to think, and forget to
start again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 184...
> Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 01:18:31p, rickthecockroach meant to say...
>
> > Um, no.
> >
> > A banquet mirror is a large mirror laying horizontally with artfully
> > arranged appetizers, fruits, cheeses, deli meats and/or desserts on
> > top, all centered around a centerpiece.
> >
> > GiGi: That's all the things I keep finding; small dessert trays. I'm
> > looking for the big hotel style ones. Apparently, either no one does
> > them, no one cares about them, or they're a jealously guarded secret.

> It would certainly be easy to have a glas & mirror company cut one to the
> size you want, either with plain or beveled or shaped edges.

Not just glass; mirrors come in plastic (e.g. Plexiglas or Lexan) too.
Compared to glass mirror this scratches more easily (Lexan less so than
Plexiglas), and is slightly less reflective, but the piece will not chip or
break in normal handling. Since it can be cut with a jigsaw or bandsaw,
elaborate shapes (e.g. a swan) are easy. With a sue-happy public at risk to
find glass slivers in their food from the chipped edge of a glass mirror,
that's another reason to consider plastic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:04:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 05:35:44a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 06:29:22 -0600, Melba's Jammin'

>>> A centerpiece that sits on a mirror.
>>>

>> I didn't know what they were called. My mother had one back in the
>> 1950s, with crystal swans that sat on top of it and a crystal vase
>> to sit in the middle. Back in the day, I think that was considered
>> "elegant" for a dining room table centerpiece. :-)

> My mom had something, too, and it spent its time parked in the middle
> of the dining room table.
>
> For some reason, wax fruit is also in this memory.
>
> Boron

My mom had plastic fruit, not wax fruit. No mirror involved The grapes
were actually rubber. Mom used to get mad because you could pop them off
the plastic stem, fill them with water and squirt people with them LOL But
they popped right back on the stem so no real harm done.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:04:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:48:49p, Dee.Dee meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>>
>>> Several years ago I bought some "jeweled" fruit to put in a crystal bowl
>>> in one of our curio cabinets.
>>>
>>> This isn't a really clear pictu
>>>
>>> http://i5.tinypic.com/8fmyfeb.jpg
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Whoa! Wow! That's really pretty. I've never seen anything like that.
>> Dee Dee
>>

>Thanks, Dee Dee. I bought them at Bloomingdale's in NYC years ago. I
>filled severeal crystal bowls with the pieces, as they as such nice color.

Bloomies used to have absolutely fabulous gift ware and tableware. I
have not even entered that department in ages, as I know I don't need
anything and don't want to be tempted.

I have looked all over online to find something similar to what you
have and can't even come close.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I haven't followed this thread in detail but thought I'd throw this in:
When I was at the Culinary Institute in the early 80s, the banquet
mirror wasn't the centerpiece, it was the tray for the food.
Elaborately cut crudites and decorated appetizers were geometrically
placed on large round mirrors. Everything on them was edible. You
might have whole sculptures done with fruit. The effect was dazzling.
You had to be extra careful not to break them when washing them, but
they weren't much more trouble than any other large tray. The smooth
glass could be wiped down with vinegar for a streak free surface. You
might have rows of them at a large party. It looked lovely.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 09:38:43a, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:04:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Thu 29 Nov 2007 02:48:49p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

>>> Whoa! Wow! That's really pretty. I've never seen anything like that.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>>Thanks, Dee Dee. I bought them at Bloomingdale's in NYC years ago. I
>>filled severeal crystal bowls with the pieces, as they as such nice
>>color.

> Bloomies used to have absolutely fabulous gift ware and tableware. I
> have not even entered that department in ages, as I know I don't need
> anything and don't want to be tempted.
>
> I have looked all over online to find something similar to what you
> have and can't even come close.
>
> Boron

No trip to Manhattan was complete for me unless I had spent some serious
time in Blooomie's houseware, cookware, tableware, etc., departments. :-)

I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
new.

I did find this on the web after a very brief look, but it's only pears.

http://tinyurl.com/22ersc

My fruit includes, pears, apples, pomegranites, grapes, and berries.
Surely there must be a source somewhere.

I try to find another source if you're interested.

Best...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, November(XI) 30th(XXX),2007(MMVII)

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 14hrs
Everything bows to success, even grammar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> No trip to Manhattan was complete for me unless I had spent some serious
> time in Blooomie's houseware, cookware, tableware, etc., departments. :-)
>
> I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
> new.
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I've only been to Bloomingdale's once in my life -- most of the little time
I spent there was in the same departments you mentioned. At the time I was
thinking 'there is only one thing I need, and I don't find it.' As I was
leaving, getting ready to go down the escalator, there it was, a stack of
those yellowish (Yellow-Ochra) Krupps coffee makers, I bought one @ abt.
$17.95 (it was much more elsewhere, too) and I used it for years. Funny
that I would buy another Krupps the exact same as I had, about 5 of them
had all leaked on me, but this one lasted for years.

That's one store!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 09:38:43a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:04:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, Dee Dee. I bought them at Bloomingdale's in NYC years ago. I
>>>filled severeal crystal bowls with the pieces, as they as such nice
>>>color.

>> Bloomies used to have absolutely fabulous gift ware and tableware. I
>> have not even entered that department in ages, as I know I don't need
>> anything and don't want to be tempted.
>>
>> I have looked all over online to find something similar to what you
>> have and can't even come close.
>>
>> Boron

>No trip to Manhattan was complete for me unless I had spent some serious
>time in Blooomie's houseware, cookware, tableware, etc., departments. :-)
>
>I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
>new.
>
>I did find this on the web after a very brief look, but it's only pears.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/22ersc
>
>My fruit includes, pears, apples, pomegranites, grapes, and berries.
>Surely there must be a source somewhere.
>
>I try to find another source if you're interested.
>
>Best...

Thank you. Yes, if you happen to find something, I'd love a source.

I do think you've hit on it, though, as with the holidays upon us,
looking at ornaments may be a good way to find them. I see that eBay
has "jeweled XXX" ornaments offered, when one puts in various fruit
items to replace XXX.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 10:55:35a, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 09:38:43a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:04:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Bloomies used to have absolutely fabulous gift ware and tableware. I
>>> have not even entered that department in ages, as I know I don't need
>>> anything and don't want to be tempted.
>>>
>>> I have looked all over online to find something similar to what you
>>> have and can't even come close.
>>>
>>> Boron

>>No trip to Manhattan was complete for me unless I had spent some serious
>>time in Blooomie's houseware, cookware, tableware, etc., departments. :-)
>>
>>I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
>>new.
>>
>>I did find this on the web after a very brief look, but it's only pears.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/22ersc
>>
>>My fruit includes, pears, apples, pomegranites, grapes, and berries.
>>Surely there must be a source somewhere.
>>
>>I try to find another source if you're interested.
>>
>>Best...

> Thank you. Yes, if you happen to find something, I'd love a source.
>
> I do think you've hit on it, though, as with the holidays upon us,
> looking at ornaments may be a good way to find them. I see that eBay
> has "jeweled XXX" ornaments offered, when one puts in various fruit
> items to replace XXX.
>
> Boron

Ah, Boron, the "secret word" for the day is "beaded fruit", not jeweled
fruit. :-)

I've found this so far, and it is much closer to what I have than
references to "jeweled".

http://www.ansaldosgourmet.com/an/beaded+fruit.aspx

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, November 30th,2007

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 12hrs
Why reach for the musket when the
custard pie will do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 10:31:58a, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>> No trip to Manhattan was complete for me unless I had spent some
>> serious time in Blooomie's houseware, cookware, tableware, etc.,
>> departments. :-)
>>
>> I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
>> new. --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I've only been to Bloomingdale's once in my life -- most of the little
> time I spent there was in the same departments you mentioned. At the
> time I was thinking 'there is only one thing I need, and I don't find
> it.' As I was leaving, getting ready to go down the escalator, there it
> was, a stack of those yellowish (Yellow-Ochra) Krupps coffee makers, I
> bought one @ abt. $17.95 (it was much more elsewhere, too) and I used it
> for years. Funny that I would buy another Krupps the exact same as I
> had, about 5 of them had all leaked on me, but this one lasted for
> years.
>
> That's one store!
> Dee Dee

Great minds and all that... About 15 years ago David and I bought, at
Bloomingdale's, a Braun drip machine in a distinctly yellow-ocre color. It
worked flawlessly for years, and we gave it up only this year because we
wanted a black and SS coffee maker for our new kitchen which is a mix of
black and SS appliances, with a black granite color countertop. Being on a
reduced budget as we are now, we opted for a "higher enc" Mr. Coffee. We
actually like it even better than any drip machine we've owned to date,
which includes Braun and Krups.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, November 30th,2007

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 12hrs
Why reach for the musket when the
custard pie will do?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:13:59 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 10:55:35a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I bought the jewled fruit there perhaps a decade ago, but it looks like
>>>new.
>>>
>>>I did find this on the web after a very brief look, but it's only pears.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/22ersc
>>>
>>>My fruit includes, pears, apples, pomegranites, grapes, and berries.
>>>Surely there must be a source somewhere.
>>>
>>>I try to find another source if you're interested.
>>>
>>>Best...

>> Thank you. Yes, if you happen to find something, I'd love a source.
>>
>> I do think you've hit on it, though, as with the holidays upon us,
>> looking at ornaments may be a good way to find them. I see that eBay
>> has "jeweled XXX" ornaments offered, when one puts in various fruit
>> items to replace XXX.
>>
>> Boron
>>

>Ah, Boron, the "secret word" for the day is "beaded fruit", not jeweled
>fruit. :-)
>
>I've found this so far, and it is much closer to what I have than
>references to "jeweled".
>
> http://www.ansaldosgourmet.com/an/beaded+fruit.aspx

OH MY!

Thank you so very much, Wayne. You have been most kind.

I think I have some shopping to do.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 12:19:38p, Boron Elgar meant to say...

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:13:59 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 10:55:35a, Boron Elgar meant to say...
>>
>>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:18:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

pears.

>>> Thank you. Yes, if you happen to find something, I'd love a source.
>>>
>>> I do think you've hit on it, though, as with the holidays upon us,
>>> looking at ornaments may be a good way to find them. I see that eBay
>>> has "jeweled XXX" ornaments offered, when one puts in various fruit
>>> items to replace XXX.
>>>
>>> Boron
>>>

>>Ah, Boron, the "secret word" for the day is "beaded fruit", not jeweled
>>fruit. :-)
>>
>>I've found this so far, and it is much closer to what I have than
>>references to "jeweled".
>>
>> http://www.ansaldosgourmet.com/an/beaded+fruit.aspx

> OH MY!
>
> Thank you so very much, Wayne. You have been most kind.
>
> I think I have some shopping to do.
>
> Boron

You are most welcome, Boron. Happy hunting!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: November 30th,2007

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 11hrs 30mins
Pillage pillage pillage ... loot loot
loot! - Stimpy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message Being on a
> reduced budget as we are now, we opted for a "higher end" Mr. Coffee. We
> actually like it even better than any drip machine we've owned to date,
> which includes Braun and Krups.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Mr. Coffee can actually be quite good. And I know you are intent on
acquiring the best of beans for yourself.
Your kitchen sounds nice - I'm finally settling in with the differences in
mine; anything is a plus considering what bad shape it was in.

Right now I'm getting ready to set up the new water distiller in the same
place as the dish drainer to see if it is going to work well before it gets
moved to the utility room. Always something in flux!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 01:11:03p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message Being on
>> reduced budget as we are now, we opted for a "higher end" Mr. Coffee.
>> We actually like it even better than any drip machine we've owned to
>> date, which includes Braun and Krups.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Mr. Coffee can actually be quite good. And I know you are intent on
> acquiring the best of beans for yourself.

I order freshly roasted beans from McNulty's in Greenwich Village, as well
as their Earl Grey tea. Never a disappointment.

> Your kitchen sounds nice - I'm finally settling in with the differences
> in mine; anything is a plus considering what bad shape it was in.

You've done a lot of work in there. One of tehse days I hope to take some
photos of our kitchen and post them.

> Right now I'm getting ready to set up the new water distiller in the
> same place as the dish drainer to see if it is going to work well before
> it gets moved to the utility room. Always something in flux!

That's because you are always buying something new. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Fri, 11(XI)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 11hrs
Dead puppies aren't much fun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message Being
> on a
>> reduced budget as we are now, we opted for a "higher end" Mr. Coffee.
>> We actually like it even better than any drip machine we've owned to
>> date, which includes Braun and Krups.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Mr. Coffee can actually be quite good. And I know you are intent on
> acquiring the best of beans for yourself.
> Your kitchen sounds nice - I'm finally settling in with the
> differences in mine; anything is a plus considering what bad shape it
> was in.
>

> Right now I'm getting ready to set up the new water distiller in the
> same place as the dish drainer to see if it is going to work well
> before it gets moved to the utility room. Always something in flux!
>
> Dee Dee

Last year I bought one of those Santos automatic electric vaccum coffee
makers...I used to have a drip style. I am truly amazed at how much
better it tastes than from a drip style coffee maker. It is more work
than a drip style machine though...rinsing out the pot is a pain as it
has a small carafe mouth plus it has electronics and isn't water friendly
on it's bottom thereby not dishwasher friendly and cleaning out the
coffee grinds outa the funnel after each use other than dumping the
papper filter out is more work too. But all in all considered it makes
much better tasting coffee than what I was used too. Plus watching the
water rise and then fall is kinda fun.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message Being
>> on a
>>> reduced budget as we are now, we opted for a "higher end" Mr. Coffee.
>>> We actually like it even better than any drip machine we've owned to
>>> date, which includes Braun and Krups.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Mr. Coffee can actually be quite good. And I know you are intent on
>> acquiring the best of beans for yourself.
>> Your kitchen sounds nice - I'm finally settling in with the
>> differences in mine; anything is a plus considering what bad shape it
>> was in.
>>

>> Right now I'm getting ready to set up the new water distiller in the
>> same place as the dish drainer to see if it is going to work well
>> before it gets moved to the utility room. Always something in flux!
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

>Last year I bought one of those Santos automatic electric vaccum coffee
>makers...I used to have a drip style. I am truly amazed at how much
>better it tastes than from a drip style coffee maker. It is more work
>than a drip style machine though...rinsing out the pot is a pain as it
>has a small carafe mouth plus it has electronics and isn't water friendly
>on it's bottom thereby not dishwasher friendly and cleaning out the
>coffee grinds outa the funnel after each use other than dumping the
>papper filter out is more work too. But all in all considered it makes
>much better tasting coffee than what I was used too. Plus watching the
>water rise and then fall is kinda fun.

Vac coffee is my favorite, too. My mom used one and watching it work
was always a delight to me when I was a kid.

I have a Santos electric and a Santos stovetop.

I also have one of these...

http://www.sweetmarias.com/cona.complete1.jpg

and one similar to this, but older and fancier.. ( I got it from my
mom)

http://tinyurl.com/yty8qk

I am very fond of vac pots, and informally collect coffee makers of
all sorts, from simple things that sit right on the cup to, Chemex, to
whiz-bang espresso makers to....well, you get the idea.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message > One of
these days I hope to take some
> photos of our kitchen and post them.

> Wayne Boatwright

I (we) will be waiting.

My camera isn't working too good right now or I'd send a picture -- I've got
one of those coolpix's.
LOL. Just kidding!

Dee Dee