Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banquet Frozen Fried Chicken?

I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing.
I decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
still available.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Better than no fried chicken!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:52:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
>> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>> still available.
>>
>> Jill

>Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of
>weeks. We've since learned about better foods.

True but anyone whio won't eat Banquet Fried Cjhicken is nort very
hungry!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
> still available.
>
> Jill

Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of
weeks. We've since learned about better foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2014 2:41 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> Better than no fried chicken!!
>
> John Kuthe...

I can (and do) buy much better fried chicken from the "deli" at Publix.
I buy it a a couple of times a year. The Banquet frozen stuff is for
the desperate. IMHO

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2014 2:45 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:52:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
>>> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>>> still available.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of
>> weeks. We've since learned about better foods.

> True but anyone whio won't eat Banquet Fried Cjhicken is nort very
> hungry!
>
> John Kuthe...

I've been hungrier than that. I'd pass on the TV dinner.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2014 2:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:38:58 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>> still available.

> I think the reason you don't see it at the larger chain grocers is
> because it directly competes with their own in-store fried chicken
> from the deli.
>
> How much is a box of that overly-breaded, salt laden Banquest chicken,
> anyway? I used to buy the "Country Fried" version, sometimes the Hot
> and Spicy version.
>
> -sw

I forgot to mention the price! At the Family Dollar: $7 a box. Six to
eight "assorted pieces" of chicken. Uh huh. The only hot and spicy
I see is Banquet chicken wings. I don't buy those, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple of
>people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
>decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen Banquet
>"fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is still
>available.
>
> Jill

It's at S-Mart and Safeway too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
>> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>> still available.
>>
>> Jill

> Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of weeks.
> We've since learned about better foods.

Yep, we were married in 64 and that was considered a good meal, that and
fish sticks because they were cheap.LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:52:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I
>>> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>>> still available.
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of
>>weeks. We've since learned about better foods.

> True but anyone whio won't eat Banquet Fried Cjhicken is nort very
> hungry!
>
> John Kuthe..

I don't buy it anymore, haven't for years, but I liked it fine at the time.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

For frozen, I like Tyson's Crispy Chicken Strips. These are real chicken strips (not ground up and formed) from breast meat. There sometimes is too much breading in spots, but it's easy to take off as you eat it.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-19, Cheri > wrote:

> It's at S-Mart and Safeway too.

LIke all frozen foods, it gets worse every year. None of them are
worth a damn, anymore. The last example I saw was TGIFs regular hot
wings. The sauce is no longer on the wings, it's in a separate pkt
and you gotta put it on the wings. Cheap bastids.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:56:31 PM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On 2/19/2014 2:38 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> >> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple

> >> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing. I

> >> decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen

> >> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is

> >> still available.

> >> Jill

> > Back in the late 1960's, that was a regular dinner every couple of weeks.

> > We've since learned about better foods.

> Yep, we were married in 64 and that was considered a good meal, that and
>
> fish sticks because they were cheap.LOL

I used to eat stuff like that when I was young. Cigarette smoking renders
some folks incapable of discerning between good food and crappy food, and
all the shades in between; it did me. Heck, well into the 1980s, I was all
over frozen breaded/battered fish, and I'd soak it in RealLemon. I'm sure
I'd still enjoy Mrs. Paul's/Gorton's/etc. but not with bottled lemon juice.
Some frozen prepared things are pretty good. I haven't tasted Stouffer's
lasagne in years, but I doubt it has changed, and I buy frozen pizzas.
Heck, the Palermo's Ultra Thins are really good, and a few others are pretty
good.

Besides, the standard for self made food--where you do more than merely stick
something into the oven--should be much higher, and a big part of that is
good ingredients.

> Cheri

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:41:38 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> I'd still enjoy Mrs. Paul's/Gorton's/etc.

Is Gorton's the one with a potato coating? I remember liking potato
better than flour breading.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:14:35 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:41:38 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I'd still enjoy Mrs. Paul's/Gorton's/etc.

> Is Gorton's the one with a potato coating? I remember liking potato
>
> better than flour breading.

That was 30+ years ago, and I had this crazy notion that giving up eating
mammal/bird would help me get over my sex/romance addiction. It really did help me get through a hard time, but what rescued me was the true love I
found, the love of my life. I got lucky.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bwrrryan wrote:

>That was 30+ years ago, and I had this crazy notion that giving up eating
>mammal/bird would help me get over my sex/romance addiction. It really did help me get through a hard time, but what rescued me was the true love I
>found, the love of my life. I got lucky.

You must feel great that after all those years you came out the closet
to announce that you're a cocksucker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/2014 2:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> How much is a box of that overly-breaded, salt laden Banquest chicken,
> anyway? I used to buy the "Country Fried" version, sometimes the Hot
> and Spicy version.

Banquet and Marie Callendars are the worst processed to buy. Too many
calories.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2/19/2014 2:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> How much is a box of that overly-breaded, salt laden Banquest chicken,
>> anyway? I used to buy the "Country Fried" version, sometimes the Hot
>> and Spicy version.

> Banquet and Marie Callendars are the worst processed to buy. Too many
> calories.

Back when we were eating that stuff, we never had to worry about calories at
all but I imagine there are a bunch in both.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:38:58 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>
> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing.
>
> I decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>
> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>
> still available.
>

> Jill

I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 9:07 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:38:58 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>>
>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing.
>>
>> I decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>>
>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>>
>> still available.
>>

>> Jill

> I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.

Oh, does it take an hour? I had no idea! I figured it was just heat &
eat. I'm with you on the fried chicken from the deli! I buy it at
Publix a couple of times a year. It's nice to be able to pick and
choose the pieces, too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:15:40 AM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/20/2014 9:07 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:38:58 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:

> >> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple

> >> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing.

> >> I decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen

> >> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is

> >> still available.

> >> Jill

> > I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.

> Oh, does it take an hour? I had no idea! I figured it was just heat &
>
> eat. I'm with you on the fried chicken from the deli! I buy it at
>
> Publix a couple of times a year. It's nice to be able to pick and
>
> choose the pieces, too.
>

> Jill

I had to google since it's been so long...google-fu says 350 degrees for 50 minutes. It seems to me that you could roast chicken in that amount of time (perhaps at a higher temp)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:15:15 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Bwrrryan wrote:
>

> >That was 30+ years ago, and I had this crazy notion that giving up eating

> >mammal/bird would help me get over my sex/romance addiction. It really did help me get through a hard time, but what rescued me was the true love I

> >found, the love of my life. I got lucky.

> You must feel great that after all those years you came out the closet
>
> to announce that you're a cocksucker.

You seem to wish that I were bi even more than I do.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:15:40 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/20/2014 9:07 AM, ravenlynne wrote:
>> On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:38:58 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I was at Family Dollar buying milk and cat food. I remembered a couple
>>>
>>> of people mentioning this frozen fried chicken seemingly disappearing.
>>>
>>> I decided to look in the freezer case. Sure enough! Boxes of frozen
>>>
>>> Banquet "fried chicken pieces". No, I did not buy it. But yes, it is
>>>
>>> still available.
>>>

>>> Jill

>> I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.
>>

>Oh, does it take an hour? I had no idea! I figured it was just heat &
>eat. I'm with you on the fried chicken from the deli! I buy it at
>Publix a couple of times a year. It's nice to be able to pick and
>choose the pieces, too.
>
>Jill

Most of those frozen foods need about an hour in the oven just to thaw
and heat through... a frozen pizza needs about 20 minutes in the oven
to thaw and then another 10 minutes to brown. If I wanted fried
chicken I'd buy it at a deli; faster, no muss, no fuss, and costs
less. I don't much like fried/breaded chicken, but I'll sometimes buy
rotisserie chickens at the deli... the deli in the little market in
town often has rotisserie chicken on sale: 2fer $5... eat one for
dinner and put one in the fridge, I like cold chicken, my cats much
prefer cold chicken... the carcasses go out in the yard for the
critters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:34:48 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:07:45 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > I don't much like fried/breaded chicken, but I'll sometimes buy

> > rotisserie chickens at the deli... the deli in the little market in

> > town often has rotisserie chicken on sale: 2fer $5... eat one for

> > dinner and put one in the fridge...

> Must be dwarf chickens at that price. I think you have a dwarf
>
> fetish. Or worse, a little people fetish.

Little people who are not dwarves? You mean hobbits?

> -sw

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marie Callender's takes a prize for the most calories and most salt. But the few items I have had were really tasty. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:07:45 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I don't much like fried/breaded chicken, but I'll sometimes buy
>> rotisserie chickens at the deli... the deli in the little market in
>> town often has rotisserie chicken on sale: 2fer $5... eat one for
>> dinner and put one in the fridge...

> Must be dwarf chickens at that price. I think you have a dwarf
> fetish. Or worse, a little people fetish.
>
> -sw

Or cornish hens. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:14:06 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Marie Callender's takes a prize for the most calories and most salt. But the few items I have had were really tasty. ;-)
>

> N.

Their pot pies are pretty good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 1:35:06 PM UTC-6, ravenlynne wrote:
> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:14:06 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > Marie Callender's takes a prize for the most calories and most salt. But the few items I have had were really tasty. ;-)

> > N.

> Their pot pies are pretty good.

At least until recently, most of their shit was full of soon to be illegal
trans fats.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 2/19/2014 2:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > How much is a box of that overly-breaded, salt laden Banquest chicken,
> > anyway? I used to buy the "Country Fried" version, sometimes the Hot
> > and Spicy version.

I used to eat (and like) the Banquet Hot and Spicy chicken.

> Banquet and Marie Callendars are the worst processed to buy. Too many
> calories.

The Banquet Turkey frozen meal is low calorie and good with the
fat/carb/protein percentage. I used to eat those when on a diet. I
have one in my freezer right now waiting for the urge to hit me. It's
sliced turkey with gravy and dressing, mashed potatoes and peas.

9.25 oz
230 calories

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:

> I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.

At my grocery store deli, their fried chicken is very good. For some
reason though, it tastes like crap once you cool it and then reheat
it. That's the time to turn it into buffalo whole chicken pieces.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:03:41 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>

> > On 2/19/2014 2:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> > > How much is a box of that overly-breaded, salt laden Banquest chicken,

> > > anyway? I used to buy the "Country Fried" version, sometimes the Hot

> > > and Spicy version.

> I used to eat (and like) the Banquet Hot and Spicy chicken.
>

> > Banquet and Marie Callendars are the worst processed to buy. Too many

> > calories.

> The Banquet Turkey frozen meal is low calorie and good with the
>
> fat/carb/protein percentage. I used to eat those when on a diet. I
>
> have one in my freezer right now waiting for the urge to hit me. It's
>
> sliced turkey with gravy and dressing, mashed potatoes and peas.
>

> 9.25 oz
>
> 230 calories

230 calories, 7.1/32/13.1 is more than 61% calories from carbohydrate.
That's low calorie, and if one of them is satisfying, OK, but that
proportion is the high carb/low fat balance that has made folks in the
USA fatter every year. For weight loss, a better proportion would be
32/7.1/13.1 fat/carb/protein.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/swe...fat-nutrition/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...y-keep-us-lean

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:43:17 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>

> > I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.

> At my grocery store deli, their fried chicken is very good. For some
>
> reason though, it tastes like crap once you cool it and then reheat
>
> it. That's the time to turn it into buffalo whole chicken pieces.

Naked fried is the best.
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/a...st-1486213.php

> G.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/19/14, 2:41 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> Better than no fried chicken!!

Not if you've ever been inside one of their plants.

I was working for RCA's David Sarnoff Research Center in the late 1970s,
creating real-time process control systems, when RCA decided to
diversify, and bought Hertz, a carpet company, and Banquet. I was
assigned for a while to a Banquet project.

After my first visit to a Banquet plant in Pennsylvania, I didn't eat
chicken for two years.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 12:26 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:07:45 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I don't much like fried/breaded chicken, but I'll sometimes buy
>>> rotisserie chickens at the deli... the deli in the little market in
>>> town often has rotisserie chicken on sale: 2fer $5... eat one for
>>> dinner and put one in the fridge...

>> Must be dwarf chickens at that price. I think you have a dwarf
>> fetish. Or worse, a little people fetish.
>>
>> -sw

> Or cornish hens. ;-)
>
> Cheri

I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL

Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
chickens.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 6:43 PM, Gary wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>>
>> I'd rather get the deli fried chicken. It tastes better and I don't have to spend an hour at home baking it.

> At my grocery store deli, their fried chicken is very good. For some
> reason though, it tastes like crap once you cool it and then reheat
> it. That's the time to turn it into buffalo whole chicken pieces.
>
> G.

That's why I just buy the number of pieces I want at the Publix deli. I
don't have to buy a whole fried chicken. They sell boxes of it (hot or
cold) containing specific pieces.

Or you can wait a few minutes and choose however many pieces you'd
prefer right out of the fryer. Get there around noon and you'll find
people on their lunch break lined up buying fried chicken & some side
dishes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/20/2014 12:26 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Must be dwarf chickens at that price. I think you have a dwarf
>>> fetish. Or worse, a little people fetish.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Or cornish hens. ;-)
>>
>> Cheri

> I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
> store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
> quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
> Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL
>
> Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
> chickens.
>
> Jill

I've never seen them that cheap either. The cheapest for one that I find are
at Costco for 4.99 and they are consistently delicious. They usually go for
5.99 to 6.99 at the other grocery stores, and not really all that good
either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2014 12:53 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:47:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
>> store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
>> quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
>> Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL

> "Market Price"?!?! For Chicken!?!? What is this, Chez Publixe?

Why do you think I said you might have to pay for the chicken in gold?
Gold bars found from a Spanish shipwreck off the coast, perhaps? It's a
ridiculous thing for the website to say but hey, here it is:

http://www.publix.com/food/catalog/S...28070AD6C 522

tiny:

http://tinyurl.com/jwdkaht

> Market price is for lobster, crab, and other highly seasonal or
> wether-permitting foodstuffs.

Surprising, isn't it?

>> Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
>> chickens.

> More likely, the last time he actually priced them was 1987.
>
> -sw

LOL Did they even *sell* rotisserie chicken in grocery stores in 1987?
Seems to me rotisserie chickens are a fairly recent (say in the last
decade) addition. Most grocery stores didn't have the cooking
facilities to be frying or rotisserieing chickens.

Then again, he's mentioned salad bars being in most grocery stores. I
haven't seen a salad bar in a grocery store since the 1990's. I'm sure
*some* supermarkets have them...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/21/2014 12:53 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:47:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
>>> store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
>>> quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
>>> Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL

>> "Market Price"?!?! For Chicken!?!? What is this, Chez Publixe?

> Why do you think I said you might have to pay for the chicken in gold?
> Gold bars found from a Spanish shipwreck off the coast, perhaps? It's a
> ridiculous thing for the website to say but hey, here it is:
>
> http://www.publix.com/food/catalog/S...28070AD6C 522
>
> tiny:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/jwdkaht
>
>> Market price is for lobster, crab, and other highly seasonal or
>> wether-permitting foodstuffs.

> Surprising, isn't it?
>
>>> Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
>>> chickens.

>> More likely, the last time he actually priced them was 1987.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> LOL Did they even *sell* rotisserie chicken in grocery stores in 1987?
> Seems to me rotisserie chickens are a fairly recent (say in the last
> decade) addition. Most grocery stores didn't have the cooking facilities
> to be frying or rotisserieing chickens.
>
> Then again, he's mentioned salad bars being in most grocery stores. I
> haven't seen a salad bar in a grocery store since the 1990's. I'm sure
> *some* supermarkets have them...
>
> Jill

They didn't sell rotisserie chicken in 1987 in any grocery store where I
shopped.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:50:10 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

<snip>

> > I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
> > store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
> > quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
> > Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL
> >
> > Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
> > chickens.
> >
> > Jill

> I've never seen them that cheap either. The cheapest for one that I find are
> at Costco for 4.99 and they are consistently delicious. They usually go for
> 5.99 to 6.99 at the other grocery stores, and not really all that good
> either.

He's living in the past. A single roast chicken from Costco is $5 and
it's twice as large as the rotisserie chicken all the local grocery
chains want to sell you for $7.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:47:25 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/20/2014 12:26 PM, Cheri wrote:

> >> Must be dwarf chickens at that price. I think you have a dwarf

> >> fetish. Or worse, a little people fetish.

> >> -sw

> > Or cornish hens. ;-)

> > Cheri

> I've never seen a 2-fer $5 rotisserie chicken deal in a regular grocery
>
> store. What I remember is more like $6 for *one* rotisserie chicken. A
>
> quick peek at the local Publix site shows rotisserie chicken at "Market
>
> Price". That means you *might* have to pay for it in gold. LOL
>

> Maybe the proprietors at Sheldon's little market are raising their own
>
> chickens.

I have seen them 2/$5 at Winn Dixie here with the use of their customer reward card. They are normal sized but their degree of dryness is variable.

Banquet Linen For Any Occasion You Can Fathom jiyamaddy Recipes 0 17-09-2011 02:18 PM
Banquet mirrors? rickthecockroach General Cooking 40 30-11-2007 09:27 PM
Springfield Missouri Cashew Chicken Nugget & Chicken Fried Rice Duane Novak Recipes (moderated) 0 18-04-2007 05:27 PM
BANQUET DIET ?? General Cooking 11 11-08-2005 03:38 AM
Frozen chicken tenders/frozen chicken breasts Jeanne Ketterer General Cooking 9 13-03-2005 08:50 AM