Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How many kid tables? And are you at one?

Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
hor'dourves/booze carrying on.

I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.

Uncle Andy
UotD #1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two
> four-seaters. I'm OK with that. I can rant politics and business and
> nonsense during the hor'dourves/booze carrying on.

Sorry, no "kids" table unless you count my 25 year old nephew and my 57 year
old brother. I suppose they count as kids since they act like kids. But
they'll eat at the same table we do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 22 Nov 2007 08:12:20a, Andy meant to say...

> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during
> the hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult.
> We could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get
> yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

Thank God no kids and no kid tables. Just the two of us for a relaxed and
peaceful T-day and meal!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Thu, 11(XI)/22(XXII)/07(MMVII)
¦ Today is: Thanksgiving Day (U.S.) ¦
¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
|_| _, _ _
| |(_||_)|_)\_|
___ | ._|
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
._| ._|
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

Our 4.5 yo will sit at the big table with hubby and me. We'll also attach
our 14-month-olds' highchairs to the table so they can eat with us. No kids'
tables here.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

I hated having to be at the kids' table growing up. But I'd love it
now. The kids are more fun.

No kids' table here. Just all of us at the one table.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in message
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at
> one of two four-seaters. [..]

Two tables, side-by-side: One with the nine adults and the other
with nine of the eleven kids at it. I only have _one_ niece (our
princess-wannabe) that's built a mountain out of that divot in
years' prior so I simply did away with labeling it such two years
ago. She doesn't get to sit with the adults due to space and
free-flowing wine but then she isn't at the "kids' table" either.
She tried to make a stink about it last week but a quiet word
(away from her audience) with her stopped her cold. I will quietly
remind her as she walks in the door about expected behavior; we
won't have any issues. <EG>

The Ranger
--
"Everyone is subject to the laws of Darwinism whether or not they
believe in them, agree with them, or accept them. There is no

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen > wrote in message
[snip]
> I hated having to be at the kids' table growing up. But
> I'd love it now. The kids are more fun.

[snip]

I loved it growing up. It meant I was away from my parent-units'
gaze and we could be as loud and raucous (raunchy as teenangsters)
as we wanted! There were several tables of kid-units so we had our
own section of the house with an extra TV brought in specifically
for us. What better way to enjoy a meal than with the TV on and
watching one of the many specials while holding multiple
conversations with cousins over the best fishing or hunting?
Bliss! It was depressing when I moved into the "adults" part. It
was more about manners than enjoying the company. <shrug>

The Ranger
--
"Humor is genetic. If you can't laugh at your family, then you
can't laugh at other people."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:08 am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote in message
>
> I only have _one_ niece (our
> princess-wannabe) that's built a mountain out of that divot in
> years' prior.
> She tried to make a stink about it last week but a quiet word
> (away from her audience) with her stopped her cold. I will quietly
> remind her as she walks in the door about expected behavior; we
> won't have any issues. <EG>
>
> The Ranger

How old is this annoying brat? Her parents don't tell her to shut her
trap when she starts the drama?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:12:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
>OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
>hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
>I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
>could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.

We've only got one "kid" this time, so he'll sit with the grownups.

I used to like being at a kids table. It was just my sister and me -
we didn't have cousins. We got to eat at a high coffee table that was
set up just like the big table with a candelabra, good placemats, the
same china, crystal and silver that was at the grown up table.

The kids table was never a holiday tradition though. We were a small
family so we always ate at the same table as everyone else. The kids
table was set up when my grandparents had big dinner parties that
included several couples who were not family members.

I do remember a Thanksgiving with my mom's side of the family that
included a children's table. Grandma's siblings brought their kids
and grandkids, so there were lots of 2nd and 3rd cousins to play with.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:12:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
>OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
>hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
>I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
>could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
>Uncle Andy
>UotD #1

are you sure you offered or did the adults ask you to?

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann > wrote in message
> On Nov 22, 11:08 am, "The Ranger" >
> wrote:
>> I only have _one_ niece (our princess-wannabe) that's
>> built a mountain out of that divot in years' prior. She
>> tried to make a stink about it last week but a quiet word
>> (away from her audience) with her stopped her cold. I
>> will quietly remind her as she walks in the door about
>> expected behavior; we won't have any issues. <EG>
>>

> How old is this annoying brat? Her parents don't tell her
> to shut her trap when she starts the drama?

Her parents have never once issued orders to her in the
almost-twelve years of her life. I, OTOH, issue them at every
opportunity. There have been a minimal number of 'dramas' as a
result when I'm present.

I enjoy being the uncle that gets [elected] to take the kid-units
out to concerts, plays, and the movies and always can honestly
report back that "They were fine. No issues whatsoever."

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

Thanks for the fond memories. There were always LOTS of people at Grandpa's
for festive dinners -- the claw-footed table was stretched to full capacity.
An aisle had to be left open so that the food and dishes could be carried to
and fro from the kitchen. That meant that the kid's table was landlocked in
the back of the room The most important thing was to remember to go to the
bathroom before you were seated at the kid's table, because once you were
there, you weren't getting out for 2-3 hours. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

Growing up in my family the only way to move up from the kid table to the
adult table is that an adult dies.

Now, w/ my kids .. they sit with everyone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> MayQueen > wrote in message
> [snip]
>> I hated having to be at the kids' table growing up. But
>> I'd love it now. The kids are more fun.

> [snip]
>
> I loved it growing up. It meant I was away from my parent-units'
> gaze and we could be as loud and raucous (raunchy as teenangsters)
> as we wanted! There were several tables of kid-units so we had our
> own section of the house with an extra TV brought in specifically
> for us. What better way to enjoy a meal than with the TV on and
> watching one of the many specials while holding multiple
> conversations with cousins over the best fishing or hunting?
> Bliss! It was depressing when I moved into the "adults" part. It
> was more about manners than enjoying the company. <shrug>
>
> The Ranger

I think I didn't enjoy it so much as I was kind of in the middle age
wise. My sisters were much older and the next youngest was about 9
years younger than me. Unfortunately I didn't have similar aged cousins
growing up. I can see that the younger ones are close though and it is
fun to see them all chattering together as young adults. When we are
with them I do sit with them for a bit.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

No kids tables just too many of them. Four kids with spouses, 17 grandkids
and one great grand son 3 years old. Dinning room table is set up as a
buffet and they help themselves or their parents take care of them. My wife
and I started cooking at about 7 AM this morning with them all now gone. We
are about to go to bed and sleep the day off and hope for Christmas to never
come. g

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen > wrote in message
>> I loved it [snip]

> I think I didn't enjoy it so much as I was kind of in the
> middle age [..]

Yeah...

If there weren't so many of us, I don't know if I'd have enjoyed
it so much...

OTOH, it got me away from the "adults" so I was happy.

Nowadays I enjoy the 'adult' talk so I'm not so happy when a
teenangster imposed their presence in our midst.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> itsjoannotjoann > wrote in message

> > How old is this annoying brat? Her parents don't tell her
> > to shut her trap when she starts the drama?
> >

> Her parents have never once issued orders to her in the
> almost-twelve years of her life. I, OTOH, issue them at every
> opportunity. There have been a minimal number of 'dramas' as a
> result when I'm present.

My wife has a good friend who teaches second grade. She gets assigned
all the drama queens and kings. She shuts them down real quickly. When
they don't cooperate, there are consequences, mostly missing recess.
Some of them get incredulous. How could they miss recess? And if so,
she couldn't possibly keep them in for the whole time. Well, yes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.

No kid tables where we ate, unless you count the fact that our daughter
and son ate with us. They are 22 and 24.

ObFoodObKids: There were some cute kids there. We went with them to
feed the pets. The place has a pet cow, three horses, goats, sheep and
a dog. One of the owners said he sometimes orders 200 pounds of carrots
to feed the pets. The dog had the run of the dining room. I think she
was looking for handouts. None from us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

q writes:
>Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters. I'm
>OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
>hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
>I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
>could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
>Uncle Andy
>UotD #1

Every table is the kids' table! After all what is an adult but an
overgrown kid? :-) :-) :-)

blAndy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:12:04 -0500, Woolstitcher wrote:
>> Growing up in my family the only way to move
>> up from the kid table to the adult table is that an
>> adult dies.
>>

> With the population explosion, you'd think they'd just get a
> bigger table and more chairs.

Uh... No...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Two kids tables and I offered to take a seat at one of two four-seaters.
> I'm
> OK with that. I can rant politics and business and nonsense during the
> hor'dourves/booze carrying on.
>
> I remember having an adult at the kid's table made us feel more adult. We
> could yell across the room at the main dining table and not get yelled at.
>
> Uncle Andy
> UotD #1

Are you sure that they didn't request that you sit under the kids table with
the other dogs?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> MayQueen > wrote in message
> >> I loved it [snip]

> > I think I didn't enjoy it so much as I was kind of in the
> > middle age [..]

> Yeah...
>
> If there weren't so many of us, I don't know if I'd have enjoyed
> it so much...
>
> OTOH, it got me away from the "adults" so I was happy.
>
> Nowadays I enjoy the 'adult' talk so I'm not so happy when a
> teenangster imposed their presence in our midst.

I enjoy teenagers in small doses. I guess you have the extra large
dose. I met a teen at church camp last summer. I asked her what her
name was. She said she didn't have one. OK, I can play this game. I
named her George. Well, it turned out she had a name, but she didn't
like it. I didn't either. She was George for the week. I asked her
what church she went to. None. She mumbled something. I told her the
name of the church. Turned out that she worked at the church that she
didn't go to. Later in the week she announced that she could shit and
fart at the same time. The teen advisor gave her a look, and then
proceeded with a long lecture about farting. The teen advisor was
older, and a very formal kind of person. The teen was taken aback. I
guess she didn't know that adults had ever heard of farting.