Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default duck duck goose

the story so far: Tom bought some beer that claimed to go well
with duck. he then said he'd never eaten duck, so i went &
found a duck at the store. it was frozen. i think it had been
frozen a long time, as it was not the best duck i'd ever
cooked. however, no biggie as Tom hasn't ever had really good
duck to compare this one to.
now i have half a duck, which i think should become soup. any
good duck soup recipes anyone wants to share?
i also found goose today, at a mere <cough> $2.89/pound,
regularly $4.99/pound, so i bought one.
any good goose tips? i've had it before, but never cooked
one.
lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:27:53 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
wrote:

>the story so far: Tom bought some beer that claimed to go well
>with duck. he then said he'd never eaten duck, so i went &
>found a duck at the store. it was frozen. i think it had been
>frozen a long time, as it was not the best duck i'd ever
>cooked. however, no biggie as Tom hasn't ever had really good
>duck to compare this one to.
> now i have half a duck, which i think should become soup. any
>good duck soup recipes anyone wants to share?
> i also found goose today, at a mere <cough> $2.89/pound,
>regularly $4.99/pound, so i bought one.
> any good goose tips? i've had it before, but never cooked
>one.
>lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

I roast goose on a rack. Wash it and remove any visible cavity fat.
Take a carving fork and prick the skin "all* over so the fat escapes
more easily, but be careful not to do into the flesh.

Fold back the wing tips, put herbs of your choice and maybe an onion
or small orange in the cavity and roast at 350 degrees. You may start
the goose breast down and reverse half way through, but it is not
required.

The trick is that every 15 minutes or so, you take a turkey baster and
suction off the rendered goose fat. Do this carefully, as you are
going to preserve the rendered fat and use it to make other goodies.
It freezes quite well. Some filter it. I don't.

The last 20 minutes, I glaze the goose with a microwaved mixture of
orange juice and good jam (you get to choose what flavor most appeals
to you).

It is done when the drumstick wiggles up and down freely or the upper
drumstick yields when you pinch it (use a paper towel). It cooks

Serve with any or all of the following: pureed chestnuts, potato
pancakes, red cabbage.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:27:53 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
> wrote:
>
>>the story so far: Tom bought some beer that claimed to go well
>>with duck. he then said he'd never eaten duck, so i went &
>>found a duck at the store. it was frozen. i think it had been
>>frozen a long time, as it was not the best duck i'd ever
>>cooked. however, no biggie as Tom hasn't ever had really good
>>duck to compare this one to.
>> now i have half a duck, which i think should become soup. any
>>good duck soup recipes anyone wants to share?
>> i also found goose today, at a mere <cough> $2.89/pound,
>>regularly $4.99/pound, so i bought one.
>> any good goose tips? i've had it before, but never cooked
>>one.
>>lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

> I roast goose on a rack. Wash it and remove any visible cavity fat.
> Take a carving fork and prick the skin "all* over so the fat escapes
> more easily, but be careful not to do into the flesh.
> Boron

I don't anymore roast the whole critter, because the rear end braises so
well and the breast roasts better.

You can roast the breast with the skin on, scored with a sharp knife or
remove the skin and sear it and proceed like a tenderloin, always left rare.

If I had leftover duck, I'd make a tomatoey braise and use it as pasta
all'anatra or over polenta. Those are ways I would also use the goose
rears.

I rigorously remove all renderable fat in any case, and trimmed off skin, to
cook the fat out and fill a jar with creamy delish. Bottled hottish and
capped well, it keeps forever. I betcha if you Google duck fat you'll find
me! I even tried making Yorkshire pudding with it, which would have been
great if the pudd hadn't flopped.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote in
news
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 22:27:53 +0000 (UTC), enigma
> > wrote:
>
>>the story so far: Tom bought some beer that claimed to go
>>well with duck. he then said he'd never eaten duck, so i
>>went & found a duck at the store. it was frozen. i think it
>>had been frozen a long time, as it was not the best duck
>>i'd ever cooked. however, no biggie as Tom hasn't ever had
>>really good duck to compare this one to.
>> now i have half a duck, which i think should become soup.
>> any
>>good duck soup recipes anyone wants to share?
>> i also found goose today, at a mere <cough> $2.89/pound,
>>regularly $4.99/pound, so i bought one.
>> any good goose tips? i've had it before, but never cooked
>>one.
>>lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

> I roast goose on a rack. Wash it and remove any visible
> cavity fat. Take a carving fork and prick the skin "all*
> over so the fat escapes more easily, but be careful not to
> do into the flesh.
>
> Fold back the wing tips, put herbs of your choice and maybe
> an onion or small orange in the cavity and roast at 350
> degrees. You may start the goose breast down and reverse
> half way through, but it is not required.

ok. that sounds like my duck method (with apple & onion in the
cavity).

> The trick is that every 15 minutes or so, you take a turkey
> baster and suction off the rendered goose fat. Do this
> carefully, as you are going to preserve the rendered fat
> and use it to make other goodies. It freezes quite well.
> Some filter it. I don't.

what goodies am i making with goose fat? i have plenty of
freezer space (the kitchen fridge freezer, the chest freezer &
an upright freezer, and an itty bitty freezer in the dorm size
fridge)...
i'm going to skim the duck fat off the now cooking soup
stock. should i save that too. it has carrots, celery, onion &
probably too much parsley in the stock.

> The last 20 minutes, I glaze the goose with a microwaved
> mixture of orange juice and good jam (you get to choose
> what flavor most appeals to you).

i have rhubarb-ginger or cherry that might go nicely with
orange juice. hm, or peach ginger.

> Serve with any or all of the following: pureed chestnuts,
> potato pancakes, red cabbage.

how do you make your red cabbage? i'm trying to get the guys
(ages 39 & 7) to eat more cabbage.
thanks,
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:27:42 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar > wrote in

>> The trick is that every 15 minutes or so, you take a turkey
>> baster and suction off the rendered goose fat. Do this
>> carefully, as you are going to preserve the rendered fat
>> and use it to make other goodies. It freezes quite well.
>> Some filter it. I don't.

>what goodies am i making with goose fat?

Oh, fried or roasted potatoes and a whole host of other goodies.
Browse around here and you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know
about goose fat.

http://www.goosefat.co.uk/

> i'm going to skim the duck fat off the now cooking soup
>stock. should i save that too. it has carrots, celery, onion &
>probably too much parsley in the stock.

I have never used fat skimmed off of soup - not even with chicken
soup. I think you'd get too much moisture and veggie matter.

>> The last 20 minutes, I glaze the goose with a microwaved
>> mixture of orange juice and good jam (you get to choose
>> what flavor most appeals to you).

> i have rhubarb-ginger or cherry that might go nicely with
>orange juice. hm, or peach ginger.

Oh, yeah...

>> Serve with any or all of the following: pureed chestnuts,
>> potato pancakes, red cabbage.

>how do you make your red cabbage? i'm trying to get the guys
>(ages 39 & 7) to eat more cabbage.
>thanks,
>lee

I sort of wing it, but this recipe with the changes I have already put
into it, is pretty much what I do.

(the original recipe, which I have never used, is he
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10712)

* 1 head red cabbage
* 6 thick slices of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
* 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
* 1/3 cup vinegar - either apple cider or balsamic
* 1 cup chicken broth or use part apple cider. part broth.
* I Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced as for pie.

If you use the apple cider and the broth, you'll also need about 2 tbs
of brown sugar.

1. Slice the cabbage in half lengthwise. Use a paring knife to cut
a V-shaped notch around the white core on each half to remove it.
Slice both pieces in half again so you have 4 quarters, then thinly
slice each piece crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Set aside.
2. Place the bacon pieces in a single layer in a large Dutch oven
over medium heat. Cook bacon, stirring occasionally, until it is
browned and most of the fat has rendered from it.
3. Add the sliced onion to the pan and stir well. Season with salt
and freshly ground black pepper. Continue cooking until the onion
softens and the edges begin to brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the cabbage, stirring to coat it with the bacon fat.
Continue cooking until the cabbage begins to wilt, about 4 minutes.
Stir in the brown sugar (if needed) and add the vinegar. Add the
chicken broth/cider and season with a few pinches of salt and more
freshly ground pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to
medium-low and cover the pan tightly.
5. Simmer cabbage, stirring occasionally, After 30 minutes,mix in
the apple slices and re-cover. Continue cooking until cabbage is it
is soft, about another 15 minutes. If cabbage begins to look dry, add
more chicken broth/cider.

Have fun.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

In a swamp during hunting season. I can say with some authority that the
taste of tame versus wild duck is comparable to pheasant versus venison.
There is absolutely no similarity. Some say wild duck tastes like liver.
Since I loathe liver and love wild duck, I disagree.
I've never experienced a wild-tame difference as dramatic.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell > wrote in

news.net:

> In article >,
> enigma > wrote:
>
>> lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

> In a swamp during hunting season. I can say with some
> authority that the taste of tame versus wild duck is
> comparable to pheasant versus venison. There is absolutely
> no similarity. Some say wild duck tastes like liver. Since
> I loathe liver and love wild duck, I disagree. I've never
> experienced a wild-tame difference as dramatic.

my swamp doesn't have ducks i blame the idjits that pulled
out the beaver dam (they built a basement on infill on the
swamp, then bitched a *lot* when it flooded every spring &
when the beaver built a dam...)
i do have a lot of wild turkey & i'm encouraging everyone i
know to wipe out the damned deer. i loathe deer. good thing
they're yummy.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 16, 9:08 pm, Leonard Blaisdell >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> enigma > wrote:
> > lee <where does one find fresh duck anyway?>

> In a swamp during hunting season. I can say with some authority that the
> taste of tame versus wild duck is comparable to pheasant versus venison.
> There is absolutely no similarity. Some say wild duck tastes like liver.

I think it kind of tastes like liver too.

> Since I loathe liver and love wild duck, I disagree.
> I've never experienced a wild-tame difference as dramatic.

Wow. To me it's like night and day. I love tame duck, and don't
really like the wild.

> leo

--Bryan