Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
MoM

Default Trish Good's Braised Wild Duck Or Goose

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Trish Good's Braised Wild Duck Or Goose

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Poultry, Gamebirds

-= Ingredients =-
2 large Ducks or
4 small Teal or
1 medium Goose
Coarse salt as needed
8 Bay leaves
1/4 cup Peppercorns
1 teaspoon Leaf thyme
4 Whole allspice
1 Apple ; quartered
2 Ribs celery ; cut in half
1 medium Carrot ; coarsely chopped
1 medium Onion ; coarsely chopped
1/4 cup Cooking oil
1 cup Dry red burgundy ; divided
1 cup Brown veal stock OR
2 Bouillon cubes dissolved in
1 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Cornstarch
2 tablespoon Dry red burgundy or water
1 Heaping tablespoon cold
Butter ; if desired

-= Instructions =-
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub ducks inside and out
with salt. Choose a roasting pan that is large enough to
accommodate the birds without crowding. Put the pan in the
oven to preheat. Place bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme,
allspice, celery and apple chunks inside the ducks,
dividing evenly between ducks. Truss the ducks with
butcher twine so that they retain their shape while
cooking. Pour oil into the hot roasting pan and place the
ducks in, breast side up. Brown for approximately 20
minutes, turning after 10 minutes to brown all sides. Lower
oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Add onions and carrots
and turn the birds breast side down. Cover and cook 20 more
minutes. Then add half the wine and half the stock and
continue to braise the birds for 1-1/2 hours more, covered.
Turn the birds occasionally (every 20 minutes or so) during
the braising, adding the remaining wine and stock as needed
to keep the roasting pan moist. Should all liquid
evaporate, add a little water. To test for doneness,
pinch drumsticks with fingers. If they don't yield,
continue cooking. Transfer cooked birds to a baking sheet
and cover to keep warm. Strain juice from the roasting pan
into a small saucepan. Carefully skim off all fat from
the juice and discard. If more than a 1/2 cup of juice
remains, boil it briefly to reduce the amount. Dissolve
arrowroot or cornstarch in 2 tablespoons burgundy or water
and add to juice to thicken. Stir, bring to a boil and
remove from heat. Add the butter and stir again. Taste and
correct the seasonings ~=> Quoting Carol Shenkenberger to
All <=- CS> Anyone got a simple recipe for this?
Occurred to me I'd never CS> tried it! Now long time
readers know I like to try something new as CS> often as
possible so I got a little bunch. Taint morethan a
sidedish CS> worth if it cooks down like spinach, but it
should be enough to taste A lot of old Southern, German
and Irish recipes call for boiling it for 40 minutes or
more. I think it's much nicer just barely wilted- say 4
minutes. From: Jim Weller Date: 14
Nov 99
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 784 Calories; 42g Fat
(48.0% calories from fat); 89g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 5g
Dietary Fiber; 322mg Cholesterol; 343mg Sodium. Exchanges:
1 Grain(Starch); 12 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen in beautiful Fergus, Ontario Canada ~~ RVTOBFREE
www.mompeagram.homestead.com/