Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Upgrade Thanksgiving!??

Andy wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

Thanksgiving IS turkey in our family. That would make a swanky
Christmas, though!

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Andy wrote:

> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

I can go for this!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 9:06 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

I do turkey at Thanksgiving and standing rib roast at Christmas.
Seems fitting to me, since turkeys are associated with harvest-time
(because of Thanksgiving, I suppose) and in our family, roast beast at
Christmas because we have some English ancestors.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:06:44 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
>I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
>with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
>Or not!
>
>Andy
>"Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

A few years ago I did duck, ham and lamb. Nobody complained. Last
year we had vegetarian guests, so it was a smorgasbord including
eggplant parmesan. Both meals were much better than any turkey
dinner. (IMO) This year I agreed to do a turkey for Louise but I'd
rather have your idea. When I was a kid someone always said a prayer
including some silly crap about being thankful for the food. I guess
turkey would be better than starving, but not much. Even as a kid I
knew this. I was more thankful we didn't have to eat it more than
once or twice a year. Turkey sucks. There was a restaurant on
food-tv a few days ago that served turkey year round. The line was
out the door so I guess lots of people like it. <shudder>

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> A few years ago I did duck, ham and lamb. Nobody complained. Last
> year we had vegetarian guests, so it was a smorgasbord including
> eggplant parmesan. Both meals were much better than any turkey
> dinner. (IMO) This year I agreed to do a turkey for Louise but I'd
> rather have your idea. When I was a kid someone always said a prayer
> including some silly crap about being thankful for the food. I guess
> turkey would be better than starving, but not much. Even as a kid I
> knew this. I was more thankful we didn't have to eat it more than
> once or twice a year. Turkey sucks. There was a restaurant on
> food-tv a few days ago that served turkey year round. The line was
> out the door so I guess lots of people like it. <shudder>

When I make Christmas dinner, I have to always make the same things The
kids insist on it being done *right*. What they mean by right, is the same
as it was when they were children. In those days, starter was prawn
cocktail, main turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips etc. and Christmas
pudding with white sauce!

I don't like turkey and I don't like prawn cocktail, so I roast a chicken
for myself and experiment with starters. Of course they must have their
traditional food, then they start on mine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 15 Nov 2007 08:06:44a, Andy meant to say...

> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
> Thanksgiving with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving, and I don't even like turkey! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

'I think not,' said Descartes, and promptly
disappeared.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
> Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.

For many years the menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas were almost the same.
In the last 10 years though Christmas has become Prime Rib and it's quite an
upgrade. It's nice not to face the days and days of leftover turkey. I like
turkey but one day of leftovers is usually all I can stand. and I just can't
face freezing it away to know I have to eat it again. Seems like I am not
the only one who likes the kick up in menus.

Cindi

> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Andy wrote:

> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!

No reason why you can't have both. This year we'll have a big
crowd so we're serving the standard turkey along with beef
wellington. The traditionalists can have turkey, and the
rest of us will go for the beef.

Hey, why not?

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>
>> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>>
>> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
>> Thanksgiving
>> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.

> For many years the menu for Thanksgiving and Christmas were almost
> the same. In the last 10 years though Christmas has become Prime Rib
> and it's quite an upgrade. It's nice not to face the days and days of
> leftover turkey. I like turkey but one day of leftovers is usually
> all I can stand. and I just can't face freezing it away to know I
> have to eat it again. Seems like I am not the only one who likes the
> kick up in menus.
>
> Cindi

I really dislike turkey. Don't even care for chicken. The dark meat is
more tolerable on each, but not by a heck of a lot (IMHO). I know turkey is
traditional and all that but haven't people been creating new traditions for
umpteen years? One year I did the standing rib roast (prime rib) thing for
Thanksgiving and my brother was horrified! This year I'll be helping him
with Thanksgiving at his place and yes, we're having turkey. (sigh)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 9:06 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.

I say, get a fresh (not frozen) turkey, preferably from a Wild Oats/
Whole Foods type store.

> Or not!
>
> Andy

--Bryan
-pix of two of my more interesting guitars at:
http://flickr.com/photos/15522299@N08/2034749372/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

I don't know about "cheapness" being a factor. Turkey with various sides
is a homey, traditional and tasty harvest meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> >
> > I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
> >
> > I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
> > Thanksgiving with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.

> I can go for this!

No, not for me. There's a lot to be said for tradition. As long as I
host Thanksgiving, it will be a big old golden roast turkey.

I can make roast beef any time.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
> Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

Whaddya got against tradition? I join the "turkey for Thanksgiving and rib
roast for Christmas" contingent.

Of course, I don't have to produce the turkey dinner; I just bring home some
leftovers and the carcass. Come to think of it, I'm not responsible for the
beast, either, but I walk off with the bones.

Senior Daughter's spouse does both of them and I just eat what's on my
plate.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.

One year circumstance forced us to do a simple Thanksgiving at the last
minute for just the 2 of us. I bought 2 turkey thighs and an acorn
squash. The meal turned out to be so easy, inexpensive and delightful
that we started making it several times a year, whenever it was cloudy
and cold.

That meant we needed something special for Thanksgiving, and that turned
out to be duck. Being a bird and all, it still felt like Thanksgiving,
but it was unusual, an upgrade, as you say.

I still like the idea, but Jim's going traditional on me and is
insisting on the whole turkey. He's doing most of the cooking so I'm
not complaining. Turkey is still good (but duck is better).

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ravenlynne wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>>
>> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
>> Thanksgiving with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>>
>> Or not!
>>
>> Andy
>> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest
>>

> Thanksgiving IS turkey in our family.

I agree wholeheartedly. Smoke roasted turkey for Thanksgiving. For Christmas
it is 'prime' prime rib.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>>
>> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
>> Thanksgiving with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>>
>> Or not!
>>
>> Andy
>> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest
>>

> Thanksgiving IS turkey in our family. That would make a swanky Christmas,
> though!

In fact, chateaubriand is what's on our menu for this Christmas (along with
Duchess or twice-baked potatoes). Rest of menu TBD later.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> ravenlynne wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>>>
>>> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
>>> Thanksgiving with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>>>
>>> Or not!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest
>>>

>> Thanksgiving IS turkey in our family.

> I agree wholeheartedly. Smoke roasted turkey for Thanksgiving. For
> Christmas it is 'prime' prime rib.

The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing I
found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get old pretty
darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey "cottage" pie.
The smokiness is too overwhelming.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

jmcquown wrote:

> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing I
> found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get old pretty
> darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey "cottage" pie.
> The smokiness is too overwhelming.

It's a fair point. In my case it has as much to do with the fact
that the Tday turkey gets served to a pretty wide audience, some of
whom are less enthusiastic about smoked food than others. Even with
that in mind, I'm always getting comments like "I normally don't
like smoked foods so much, but this good". And the leftovers
only contain a hint of smoke flavor.

The solution is to be judicious in the amount of smoke you use.
With experience you can tightly control the amount added the
same as any other ingredient. If it end up too smokey, cut
back on it next time.

As Dave Bugg would say: "Smoke is like a spice". It should
combine with the other flavors and should never overwhelm.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 15, 10:06 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>
> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on Thanksgiving
> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>
> Or not!
>
> Andy
> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

I like having native American foods at this American holiday: turkey,
cranberries, squash, potatoes, etc. all came from this land. Corn
bread stuffing/dressing? American chestnut dressing?

You can have chateau Briands anytime.<g>

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> ravenlynne wrote:

>>> Thanksgiving IS turkey in our family.

>> I agree wholeheartedly. Smoke roasted turkey for Thanksgiving. For
>> Christmas it is 'prime' prime rib.

> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing
> I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get
> old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey
> "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

I agree that it is easy to make a smoked turkey taste like creosote. When I
do 'em, the smoke is used sparingly, just like a spice. You want the meat to
taste like turkey, with the smokiness a soft afterthought which enhances,
not overwhelms. :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only
>> thing I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey
>> sandwiches get old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot
>> pies or my turkey "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

> It's a fair point. In my case it has as much to do with the fact
> that the Tday turkey gets served to a pretty wide audience, some of
> whom are less enthusiastic about smoked food than others. Even with
> that in mind, I'm always getting comments like "I normally don't
> like smoked foods so much, but this good". And the leftovers
> only contain a hint of smoke flavor.
>
> The solution is to be judicious in the amount of smoke you use.
> With experience you can tightly control the amount added the
> same as any other ingredient. If it end up too smokey, cut
> back on it next time.
>
> As Dave Bugg would say: "Smoke is like a spice". It should
> combine with the other flavors and should never overwhelm.

Dang, Reg, I just now posted exactly that before reading your post. Hee,
hee, great minds think alike :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>>As Dave Bugg would say: "Smoke is like a spice". It should
>>combine with the other flavors and should never overwhelm.

> Dang, Reg, I just now posted exactly that before reading your post. Hee,
> hee, great minds think alike :-)

The smoke-is-like-a-spice thing is known around this household
as "Bugg's Rule"

There's a corollary, too. Bugg's Rule becomes more critical
as the food audience becomes larger and more diverse.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:
>>
>>> As Dave Bugg would say: "Smoke is like a spice". It should
>>> combine with the other flavors and should never overwhelm.

>> Dang, Reg, I just now posted exactly that before reading your post. Hee,
>> hee, great minds think alike :-)
>>

> The smoke-is-like-a-spice thing is known around this household
> as "Bugg's Rule"
>
> There's a corollary, too. Bugg's Rule becomes more critical
> as the food audience becomes larger and more diverse.

Love it :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only
>> thing I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey
>> sandwiches get old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot
>> pies or my turkey "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

> It's a fair point. In my case it has as much to do with the fact
> that the Tday turkey gets served to a pretty wide audience, some of
> whom are less enthusiastic about smoked food than others. Even with
> that in mind, I'm always getting comments like "I normally don't
> like smoked foods so much, but this good". And the leftovers
> only contain a hint of smoke flavor.
>
> The solution is to be judicious in the amount of smoke you use.
> With experience you can tightly control the amount added the
> same as any other ingredient. If it end up too smokey, cut
> back on it next time.
>
> As Dave Bugg would say: "Smoke is like a spice". It should
> combine with the other flavors and should never overwhelm.

LOL I guess you never read my post from... hmmm, 1999? about my
then-roommate brother smoking a turkey. It was hilarious, trust me. And
while the initial turkey wound up okay, the leftovers left much to be
desired!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> LOL I guess you never read my post from... hmmm, 1999? about my
> then-roommate brother smoking a turkey. It was hilarious, trust me.

He must have had trouble getting it into the rolling papers.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:

>The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing I
>found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get old pretty
>darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey "cottage" pie.
>The smokiness is too overwhelming.

It makes a fabulous gumbo.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:08:28 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Dave Bugg wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing
>>> I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get
>>> old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey
>>> "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

>> I agree that it is easy to make a smoked turkey taste like creosote.
>> When I do 'em, the smoke is used sparingly, just like a spice. You
>> want the meat to taste like turkey, with the smokiness a soft
>> afterthought which enhances, not overwhelms. :-)

>Um, believe it or not, you may need to give my husband a hint or two. He's
>turned me off to BBQ. Way too much smoke. Icky. (Sorry, honey.) :~)

The best advice I ever got was to think of the smoker as a
wood/charcoal oven. My first attempts were dismal. I figured since
it was called a smoker there should be lots of smoke. A big white
cloud of smoke is NOT what you want to see.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>>Dave Bugg wrote:

>>The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing I
>>found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get old
>>pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey
>>"cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

> It makes a fabulous gumbo.
>
> Christine

SOMEBODY SAY "GUMBO"?????

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing
>>> I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get
>>> old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey
>>> "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

>> I agree that it is easy to make a smoked turkey taste like creosote.
>> When I do 'em, the smoke is used sparingly, just like a spice. You
>> want the meat to taste like turkey, with the smokiness a soft
>> afterthought which enhances, not overwhelms. :-)

> Um, believe it or not, you may need to give my husband a hint or two.
> He's turned me off to BBQ. Way too much smoke. Icky. (Sorry, honey.)
> :~)
>
> kili

kili,

So you don't like honey! That's an easy fix! Take that Sue-Bee Honey Bear
and toss it!??

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:24:56 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Christine Dabney said...
>
>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:

>>>The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck.

>> It makes a fabulous gumbo.
>>
>> Christine

>SOMEBODY SAY "GUMBO"?????
>
>Andy

Yes. I get a good sized turkey just for me, so I can have the
leftovers. And one of the best uses of leftover turkey, in my
estimation, is to make turkey gumbo. Wonderful stuff.

This is the recipe I use, following the instructions at the bottom on
how to use leftover turkey.
http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r772.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I really dislike turkey. Don't even care for chicken. The dark meat is
> more tolerable on each, but not by a heck of a lot (IMHO). I know turkey is
> traditional and all that but haven't people been creating new traditions for
> umpteen years? One year I did the standing rib roast (prime rib) thing for
> Thanksgiving and my brother was horrified! This year I'll be helping him
> with Thanksgiving at his place and yes, we're having turkey. (sigh)
> Jill

Having turkey at Christmas has never been a tradition in my house nor my
parents home. We just *had* that traditional turkey meal a month
earlier..why do it again?
Christmas dinner is a time to go all out and enjoy a leg of lamb, or a
prime roast beef or ham... entirely different side dishes to compliment
the meal too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:24:56 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney said...
>>
>>> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"

>>> It makes a fabulous gumbo.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>SOMEBODY SAY "GUMBO"?????
>>
>>Andy

> Yes. I get a good sized turkey just for me, so I can have the
> leftovers. And one of the best uses of leftover turkey, in my
> estimation, is to make turkey gumbo. Wonderful stuff.
>
> This is the recipe I use, following the instructions at the bottom on
> how to use leftover turkey.
> http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r772.html
>
> Christine

Christine,

Thanks,

I like that recipe since it uses chicken which I'm OK with. Turkey, I'm not
so sure. I can suffer minorly with andouille at this point in time.

Will miss the shrimp and crab! [sniffle]

<smootch>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> On Nov 15, 10:06 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> I'd serve up a chateau briand for such a family holiday.
>>
>> I say do the cheapness (turkey) for typical meals and splurge on
>> Thanksgiving
>> with a couple 4 lb. chateau briands, rotisseried.
>>
>> Or not!
>>
>> Andy
>> "Hagar the Horrible" Thanksgiving Guest

> I like having native American foods at this American holiday: turkey,
> cranberries, squash, potatoes, etc. all came from this land. Corn
> bread stuffing/dressing? American chestnut dressing?
>
> You can have chateau Briands anytime.<g>
>
> maxine in ri

I agree. This is the one meal each year with which I try and restrain
myself. It's all about tradition, ritual, and meeting expectations. It's a
grounding experience. I just put all my efforts into doing the traditional
meal as well as I possibly can. The other 364 days of the year I save for
creativity.

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>>Dave Bugg wrote:

>>The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only thing
>>I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey sandwiches get
>>old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot pies or my turkey
>>"cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

> It makes a fabulous gumbo.
>
> Christine

I made a nice smoked turkey and wild rice soup with chipotle from the
turkey leftovers I smoked for Canadian ThanksGiving...3dog posted a nice
recipe for a chicken Chipotle stew and I converted it to smoked turkey
soup. I smoked the turkey with a mild oak and cherry wood blend so It
wasn't that overwhelmingly smokey like if a hickory woulda been used.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:13:32 -0600, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dave Bugg wrote:

>> The problem with smoked turkey is the leftovers suck. The only
>> thing I found you can do with it is sandwiches, and turkey
>> sandwiches get old pretty darn fast. It's no good in soups, pot
>> pies or my turkey "cottage" pie. The smokiness is too overwhelming.

> It makes a fabulous gumbo.
>
> Christine

Leftover *smoked* turkey? I know you like turkey in your gumbo, but smoked
turkey? Whole different taste.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:16:30 GMT, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> English traditional Christmas meal, is not roast beef. It's roast
>turkey :-)
>
> Janet (UK)

What about roast goose? A Christmas Carol has instilled in my mind a
picture of a huge roast goose at every lucky English family's
Christmas table. No?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I really dislike turkey. Don't even care for chicken. The dark
>> meat is more tolerable on each, but not by a heck of a lot (IMHO).
>> I know turkey is traditional and all that but haven't people been
>> creating new traditions for umpteen years? One year I did the
>> standing rib roast (prime rib) thing for Thanksgiving and my brother
>> was horrified! This year I'll be helping him with Thanksgiving at
>> his place and yes, we're having turkey. (sigh)
>> Jill
>>

> Having turkey at Christmas has never been a tradition in my house nor
> my parents home. We just *had* that traditional turkey meal a month
> earlier..why do it again?
> Christmas dinner is a time to go all out and enjoy a leg of lamb, or a
> prime roast beef or ham... entirely different side dishes to
> compliment the meal too.

It was always turkey at Thanksgiving, ham at Christmas. We never went out
to eat for a holiday dinner. Lamb seems more traditional for Easter, but we
didn't do Easter dinner. I do love lamb, though

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanksgiving dinner in my family is about tradition and family. We
want the same old turkey and dressing every year. It's a connection
to history and to the folks who aren't present at the table. It's
nice to bring my three-year-old boys to Thanksgiving and serve them
the same dishes that I grew up eating, prepared by the same women who
have fed me.

The "grown-ups" cook the dinner. I'm the youngest child of the
youngest child, so I am not yet considered a grown-up and I am not
supposed to bring anything. I slip in a dessert or a fruit salad. I'm
bringing five-cup salad this time.

Nothing wrong with an upgrade, but I like to save the fancy or new
dishes for another special occasion, or just for fun.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> Thanksgiving dinner in my family is about tradition and family. We
> want the same old turkey and dressing every year. It's a connection
> to history and to the folks who aren't present at the table. It's
> nice to bring my three-year-old boys to Thanksgiving and serve them
> the same dishes that I grew up eating, prepared by the same women who
> have fed me.

That's all well and good. I respect traditions, I really do. Except other
than my immediate family (my parents and brothers) there was never anyone
else around. Dad was transferred so often we never once spent a holiday
with either of the grandparents, paternal or maternal; no aunts, uncles or
cousins. It's a big deal for some people. To me, it's just a bigger dinner
with lots of leftovers. (shrug)

Jill