Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another question to ask at the Pearly Gates

DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things. We
couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at the doors
at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

Does anyone know?

The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:

An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.

A Shark sweeper.

A corked bottle of wine.

Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money --
what's the deal?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 09 Nov 2007 09:14:29p, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>
> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>
> A Shark sweeper.
>
> A corked bottle of wine.
>
> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money
> -- what's the deal?
>
> Dee Dee

It's to prevent people from picking up a product off the shelf in the
store, claiming they had previously purchsed it, and trying to return it
for a refund. If the customer doesn't have a receipt, most stores will
still issue a refund or, at least, a store credit. Having the sticker
applied as you enter gives them some assurance that you had, indeed,
previously purchsed the item(s).

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

'Sorry... it's the chocolate talking.' -- Wakko Warner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

THEM STIKERS KEE P YOU FROM STELIN/.,M" ITHEY IS BLUFFIN A ND YOU AINT/.,M

FATTY

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at the
> doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>
> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>
> A Shark sweeper.
>
> A corked bottle of wine.
>
> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money --
> what's the deal?
>
> Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OH PEESHAWS;.., WFT IS OH PESHARWS!_?K?

MR BOATRIGTHT..

IF CLULESES

FATTY

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Fri 09 Nov 2007 09:14:29p, Dee.Dee meant to say...
>
>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
>> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>>
>> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>>
>> A Shark sweeper.
>>
>> A corked bottle of wine.
>>
>> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money
>> -- what's the deal?
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> It's to prevent people from picking up a product off the shelf in the
> store, claiming they had previously purchsed it, and trying to return it
> for a refund. If the customer doesn't have a receipt, most stores will
> still issue a refund or, at least, a store credit. Having the sticker
> applied as you enter gives them some assurance that you had, indeed,
> previously purchsed the item(s).
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
> __________________________________________________ ____________
>
> 'Sorry... it's the chocolate talking.' -- Wakko Warner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at the
> doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>
> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>
> A Shark sweeper.
>
> A corked bottle of wine.
>
> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money --
> what's the deal?
>
> Dee Dee

It shows to some extent that you bought the product, not just took it from
the shelf directly to the return counter. If you elect to take the product
out again, it also shows that it was brought it from the outside, not off
the shelf. Some security setups are to make people aware that the store is
watching, a deterrent in itself.

Why are you returning wine?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

>> A corked bottle of wine.

>Why are you returning wine?

Corked. I'll be interested to hear how that goes. (Some
surveys suggest about 15% of all wine is corked. I myself
cannot specifically identify the corked bottles relative to the
bad bottles in general.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

[..]
>> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:

[..]
>> A corked bottle of wine.

[..]
> Why are you returning wine?

Because it's "bad." It wasn't stored correctly during the shipping
process and tastes off.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 09 Nov 2007 09:35:56p, BULLFROG meant to say...

> OH PEESHAWS;.., WFT IS OH PESHARWS!_?K?
>
> MR BOATRIGTHT..
>
> IF CLULESES
>
> FATTY
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> Oh pshaw, on Fri 09 Nov 2007 09:14:29p, Dee.Dee meant to say...
>>
>>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
>>> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>>> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know?
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>>>
>>> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>>>
>>> A Shark sweeper.
>>>
>>> A corked bottle of wine.
>>>
>>> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money
>>> -- what's the deal?
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> It's to prevent people from picking up a product off the shelf in the
>> store, claiming they had previously purchsed it, and trying to return it
>> for a refund. If the customer doesn't have a receipt, most stores will
>> still issue a refund or, at least, a store credit. Having the sticker
>> applied as you enter gives them some assurance that you had, indeed,
>> previously purchsed the item(s).
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
>> __________________________________________________ ____________
>>
>> 'Sorry... it's the chocolate talking.' -- Wakko Warner

pshaw (s?hô)

noun,

(an exclamation) used to express impatience, disgust, contempt, disbelief,
etc.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

'Sorry... it's the chocolate talking.' -- Wakko Warner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things. We
> couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at the doors at
> Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>
> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>
> A Shark sweeper.
>
> A corked bottle of wine.
>
> Hey, I'm just bringing them in the door. They've already got my money -- what's
> the deal?
>
> Dee Dee

The idea is to prevent people from going in and taking an item from the shelf to the
return line and saying they bought it. When the person at the return counter sees the
sticker, they know you at least came in the door with the item.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

OH!

I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?

Boy, am I green!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Dee.Dee said...
>

>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid

things.
>> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

> OH!
>
> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
>
> Boy, am I green!
>
> Andy

You can order a steak just about anywhere you want. It just in a lot of
places you won't get one.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Edwin Pawlowski > wrote in message
>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> [..]
>>> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:

> [..]
>>> A corked bottle of wine.

> [..]
>> Why are you returning wine?

> Because it's "bad." It wasn't stored correctly during the shipping process
> and tastes off.
>
> The Ranger

It was corked. Not only corked, but the cork was actually GREEN.

On recommendation, (some from the wine group I believe), I bought some
Virginia wines. So far two have been corked. I will always 'try' to get
money back on corked wines, if they are white. (White, meaning I have
purchased them somewhat recently.)

Money is only partially the reason for getting money back. Damn, it's the
principle (and principal ;-) ) of the 'thing.'

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>

>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
>> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

> OH!
>
> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
>
> Boy, am I green!
>
> Andy

You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
yet?
;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Dee.Dee said...
>>

>>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
>>> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>>> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

>> OH!
>>
>> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
>>
>> Boy, am I green!
>>
>> Andy

> You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
> yet?
> ;-))
>
> Dee Dee

Points? Points??

I've done my share of good deeds. Obeyed 9 out of 10 commandments (OK, so I
still have my neighbor's lawn mower but HE moved before I could return it).

Now, if I gotta answer to the buffalos at the gates, I'm a goner!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Dee.Dee said...

>>> OH!
>>>
>>> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
>>>
>>> Boy, am I green!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
>> yet?
>> ;-))
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Points? Points??
>
> I've done my share of good deeds. Obeyed 9 out of 10 commandments (OK, so
> still have my neighbor's lawn mower but HE moved before I could return
> it).
>
> Now, if I gotta answer to the buffalos at the gates, I'm a goner!
>
> Andy

no, no! You missed it -- 'they' answer 'your' burning questions.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 12:04?am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski > wrote in message

> > "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message

> [..]
> >> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:

> [..]
> >> A corked bottle of wine.

> [..]
> > Why are you returning wine?

> Because it's "bad." It wasn't stored correctly during the shipping
> process and tastes off.

If still corked how does one know it tastes "bad/off"???
And why would it matter how stored during shipping, all wine is
positioned incorrectly during shipping (therefore by your logic all
wine is bad/off), but I'd not call the few days needed to ship
anywhere on the planet storage. Most liquor stores don't position
wine properly for storage yet it could be on the shelf for months...
could be in stock cartons for many months, even years. Unless
obviously leaking the only way to know a bottle is spoiled is to
uncork it... recorked is not corked.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 10, 5:48?am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Dee.Dee said...
>

> > DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> > We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
> > the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

> OH!
>
> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?

I don't think you need to be concerned with heaven, where you're going
you'll get to grill your own... and how will St Peter recognize your
face... oh yeah: (_<q>_) hehehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> On Nov 10, 5:48?am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Dee.Dee said...
>>

>> > DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid

things.
>> > We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
>> > the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

>> OH!
>>
>> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?

> I don't think you need to be concerned with heaven, where you're going
> you'll get to grill your own... and how will St Peter recognize your
> face... oh yeah: (_<q>_) hehehe

OH, a comedian, eh??? why I oughtta...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > Dee.Dee said...
> >

> >> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid things.
> >> We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your returns at
> >> the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for them.

> > OH!
> >
> > I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
> >
> > Boy, am I green!
> >
> > Andy

> You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
> yet?
> ;-))
>
> Dee Dee

Points???? Thought the loyalty card was enough...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corked wine [Was: Another question to ask at the Pearly Gates]

In article >, Janet Baraclough > wrote:
[snip]

> "corked " doesn't mean "haven't opened the bottle yet. "Corked wine" is
> wine that tastes bad because it was contaminated by a bad cork .
>
>http://www.thewinedoctor.com/author/corked.shtml

I'm pleased to say there are now enough good wines around with Stelvin
seals here in Oz that I now refuse to buy any with corks.

I've never understood why it's taken so long for a decent seal to be
accepted by the hoi polloi. What other product would get away with
selling stuff where anything up to 10% of items is bad? (I should add
that, based on my experience here in Oz, I think 10% is actually an
exaggeration; but that's a figure attributed to "industry sources" in
the URL quoted above by Janet, so WAITA! :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to work in a wine and cheese shop. We had a customer who was
exceptionally good at detecting corked wines. He'd buy a bottle, get it
home, open and taste, realize it was corked, return it for refund. The
owner changed the policy. Instead of giving him cash or credit that
could be used on any other bottle, he started giving the guy another of
the same. The customer's extraordinary powers of corked detection ended.

Letting customers know that screw caps are actually better at preserving
wine than corks was another comedy. Part of me understands it. I love
the drama that accompanies serving wine, the presentation, the variety
of corkscrews, the way the cork is presented to the host. Even now,
screw caps are associated with low quality wine, almost as far down as
box wines. It is hard to go against centuries of ceremony.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
>> DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid
>> things. We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your
>> returns at the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes for
>> them.
>>
>> Does anyone know?
>>
>> The reason I ask is tomorrow is a big return day:
>>
>> An outdoor "critter" camera that takes pictures at night.
>>
>> A Shark sweeper.
>>
>> A corked bottle of wine.
>>

> Why are you returning wine?

As DD said....... it is 'corked'.

Corked = Affected by TCA......... trichloroanisole, a bacteria that
lives in the bark of a certain tree that supplies all the corks for the
world..... but at the same time only infects about 2-7% of all wines.

I've been drinking wine since 1993, and have only had approx 6-8 bottles
that have been corked.

What was the bottle DD?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in
:

> Letting customers know that screw caps are actually better at preserving
> wine than corks was another comedy. Part of me understands it. I love
> the drama that accompanies serving wine, the presentation, the variety
> of corkscrews, the way the cork is presented to the host. Even now,
> screw caps are associated with low quality wine, almost as far down as
> box wines. It is hard to go against centuries of ceremony.

Stelvins were around here in the early 70's......... but then people got
caught up in all the 'romance' of opening a bottle of wine.

Sure......... I love the *pop*........ but I'd gladly retire my 'waiters
friend' collection to ensure that each and every wine I got was in pristine
condition...... and able to be stored standing up, or laying down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Nov 10, 5:48?am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Dee.Dee said...
>>

>> > DH and I were having coffee this afternoon talking about stupid
>> > things. We couldn't figure out why they put those stickers on your
>> > returns at the doors at Costco and Walmart; what it accomplishes
>> > for them.

>> OH!
>>
>> I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?

> I don't think you need to be concerned with heaven, where you're going
> you'll get to grill your own... and how will St Peter recognize your
> face... oh yeah: (_<q>_) hehehe

Don't worry............. I'll know him when I see him, just like you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "Dee.Dee" wrote:
>>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> > Dee.Dee said...

>> > OH!
>> >
>> > I was going to ask if I could order a rare steak in Heaven?
>> >
>> > Boy, am I green!
>> >
>> > Andy

>> You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
>> yet?
>> ;-))
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Points???? Thought the loyalty card was enough...

Now you've got a point there! (no pun intended)
LOL.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> >> You have to wait until you get there to ask! Have you got enough points
> >> yet?
> >> ;-))
> >>
> >> Dee Dee

> > Points???? Thought the loyalty card was enough...

> Now you've got a point there! (no pun intended)
> LOL.
> Dee Dee

Can't think of any Biblical references to the menus in
Heaven...wondering if the food is going to be any good LOL!

Do have a clean joke in that respect:

Elderly Jewish man dies and goes to Heaven. St Peter is there to greet
him and says 'Please be seated at the eternal banquet table and enjoy
yourself'. The man says 'Is the food kosher here? I've never eaten
anything unkosher in my life.' The Gatekeeper smiles and replies 'You
don't need to worry about that in Heaven. Those rules no longer apply up
here.' The old man still looks uncertain: 'Are you sure?' St Peter nods.
The man considers for a few moments. 'Hmmmm...I'll have the fish, thank
you!'
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "Dee.Dee" wrote:

>> > Points???? Thought the loyalty card was enough...

>> Now you've got a point there! (no pun intended)
>> LOL.
>> Dee Dee

> Can't think of any Biblical references to the menus in
> Heaven...wondering if the food is going to be any good LOL!
>
> Do have a clean joke in that respect:
>
> Elderly Jewish man dies and goes to Heaven. St Peter is there to greet
> him and says 'Please be seated at the eternal banquet table and enjoy
> yourself'. The man says 'Is the food kosher here? I've never eaten
> anything unkosher in my life.' The Gatekeeper smiles and replies 'You
> don't need to worry about that in Heaven. Those rules no longer apply up
> here.' The old man still looks uncertain: 'Are you sure?' St Peter nods.
> The man considers for a few moments. 'Hmmmm...I'll have the fish, thank
> you!'

Your joke was wasted on me -- I was hoping for a laugh. Darn!
DeeDee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

> >> Now you've got a point there! (no pun intended)
> >> LOL.
> >> Dee Dee

> > Can't think of any Biblical references to the menus in
> > Heaven...wondering if the food is going to be any good LOL!
> >
> > Do have a clean joke in that respect:
> >
> > Elderly Jewish man dies and goes to Heaven. St Peter is there to greet
> > him and says 'Please be seated at the eternal banquet table and enjoy
> > yourself'. The man says 'Is the food kosher here? I've never eaten
> > anything unkosher in my life.' The Gatekeeper smiles and replies 'You
> > don't need to worry about that in Heaven. Those rules no longer apply up
> > here.' The old man still looks uncertain: 'Are you sure?' St Peter nods.
> > The man considers for a few moments. 'Hmmmm...I'll have the fish, thank
> > you!'

> Your joke was wasted on me -- I was hoping for a laugh. Darn!
> DeeDee

Sorry about that. If someone isn't certain the food somewhere is kosher,
they usually ask for the fish. Does that help any?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "Dee.Dee" wrote:

>> > Can't think of any Biblical references to the menus in
>> > Heaven...wondering if the food is going to be any good LOL!
>> >
>> > Do have a clean joke in that respect:
>> >
>> > Elderly Jewish man dies and goes to Heaven. St Peter is there to greet
>> > him and says 'Please be seated at the eternal banquet table and enjoy
>> > yourself'. The man says 'Is the food kosher here? I've never eaten
>> > anything unkosher in my life.' The Gatekeeper smiles and replies 'You
>> > don't need to worry about that in Heaven. Those rules no longer apply
>> > up
>> > here.' The old man still looks uncertain: 'Are you sure?' St Peter
>> > nods.
>> > The man considers for a few moments. 'Hmmmm...I'll have the fish, thank
>> > you!'

>> Your joke was wasted on me -- I was hoping for a laugh. Darn!
>> DeeDee

> Sorry about that. If someone isn't certain the food somewhere is kosher,
> they usually ask for the fish. Does that help any?

Yes, I understand now. But it's a little late for me to incorporate it
into a funny-bone laugh for me. Thanks for explaining -- and not calling me
an 'idiot.' LOL.

Your pal,
Dostoevsky,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message

<snippage>

> >> Your joke was wasted on me -- I was hoping for a laugh. Darn!
> >> DeeDee

> > Sorry about that. If someone isn't certain the food somewhere is kosher,
> > they usually ask for the fish. Does that help any?

> Yes, I understand now. But it's a little late for me to incorporate it
> into a funny-bone laugh for me. Thanks for explaining -- and not calling me
> an 'idiot.' LOL.
>
> Your pal,
> Dostoevsky,
> Dee Dee

LOL now why would I call you an idiot! And the allusion was not wasted
on me either...

Vegetarian Bill Gates: 'Livestock produces 51% of world's greenhouse gases' Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 0 22-03-2013 07:21 PM
Bill Gates thinks Google should be worried! alex General Cooking 1 08-03-2007 05:40 AM
Gastronaut by Stefan Gates [email protected] General Cooking 0 20-07-2006 02:10 PM
Bill gates Sheldon General Cooking 0 14-04-2005 01:24 AM
Gates Barbeque Sauce Tim Recipes 0 12-04-2005 02:20 AM