Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rocky Road ice cream?

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:08:03 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
>instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill prior
>to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
>
>The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried fruit
>and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
>make more sense to me.
>
>Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

I haven't made it, but I have about 4 books on ice cream, maybe more.
I can look in those....and see what they say...

I got some white chocolate to make white chocolate ice cream....from
the David Lebovitz book, The Perfect Scoop. This book has a recipe
for Rocky Road ice cream..plus some other wonderful sounding ice
creams.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill prior
> to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
>
> The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried fruit
> and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> make more sense to me.
>
> Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

It seems to me that most of the recipes I halve used call for things like
that to be chilled and then added to the ice cream when it is almost done
in the freezer bowl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 11:08?am, Arri London > wrote:
> Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill prior
> to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
>
> The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried fruit
> and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> make more sense to me.
>
> Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

With rocky road marshmallow cream and chocolate fudge is gently folded
in at the very end, and then immediately frozen. Fake rocky road uses
minimallows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill

prior
> to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
>
> The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried

fruit
> and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> make more sense to me.
>
> Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

prefreezing the nuts, dried fruit and marshmallows prior to adding them
to the chilled ice cream custard in the maker is the way to go. I'll
phrase that differently...chill the ice cream custard in one bowl and in
another bowl freeze any additives prior to combining with said custard.
In fact adding after the ice cream is more than half set would allow the
mixtures to mix and the nuts and stuff not to sink to the bottom.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:08:03 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> >instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill prior
> >to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
> >
> >The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried fruit
> >and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> >make more sense to me.
> >
> >Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

> I haven't made it, but I have about 4 books on ice cream, maybe more.
> I can look in those....and see what they say...
>
> I got some white chocolate to make white chocolate ice cream....from
> the David Lebovitz book, The Perfect Scoop. This book has a recipe
> for Rocky Road ice cream..plus some other wonderful sounding ice
> creams.
>
> Christine

TY! Let me know. Then you can come over and eat some.

(Hate white chocolate with a passion!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> > instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill prior
> > to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
> >
> > The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried fruit
> > and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> > make more sense to me.
> >
> > Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

> It seems to me that most of the recipes I halve used call for things like
> that to be chilled and then added to the ice cream when it is almost done
> in the freezer bowl.

That would seem more logical.
TY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:43:01 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> >Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.

>> I haven't made it, but I have about 4 books on ice cream, maybe more.
>> I can look in those....and see what they say...
>>
>> I got some white chocolate to make white chocolate ice cream....from
>> the David Lebovitz book, The Perfect Scoop. This book has a recipe
>> for Rocky Road ice cream..plus some other wonderful sounding ice
>> creams.
>>
>> Christine

>TY! Let me know. Then you can come over and eat some.
>
>(Hate white chocolate with a passion!)

I like white chocolate in combo with fruit...

I just looked in the David Lebovitz book, and his Rocky Road ice cream
is not a separate recipe, but is in the notes about chocolate ice
cream. He just says to fold in marshmallows and peanuts. Doesn't say
anything about adding it beforehand.

This book is wonderful. I should bring it over there....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Have exactly one recipe for this, which sounds good. However the
> > instructions say to add the marshmallows to the mix and then chill

> prior
> > to freezing. Wouldn't they get too soggy that way?
> >
> > The instructions for the Tefal icecream maker say that nuts, dried

> fruit
> > and marshmallows should be added after starting the freezer. Seems to
> > make more sense to me.
> >
> > Anyone make this stuff? It's one of my favourite sorts of icecream.
> >

> prefreezing the nuts, dried fruit and marshmallows prior to adding them
> to the chilled ice cream custard in the maker is the way to go. I'll
> phrase that differently...chill the ice cream custard in one bowl and in
> another bowl freeze any additives prior to combining with said custard.
> In fact adding after the ice cream is more than half set would allow the
> mixtures to mix and the nuts and stuff not to sink to the bottom.
>
> --

TY! That too makes more sense. Will post the results in a few days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:44:07 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:43:01 -0700, Arri London >
>wrote:

>I just looked in the David Lebovitz book, and his Rocky Road ice cream
>is not a separate recipe, but is in the notes about chocolate ice
>cream. He just says to fold in marshmallows and peanuts. Doesn't say
>anything about adding it beforehand.
>
>This book is wonderful. I should bring it over there....
>
>Christine

I just looked in one of the Williams-Sonoma books I have, and they
said fold in the add-ins when the ice cream is almost frozen, in the
ice cream freezer.

By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:27:03 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:

>> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
>>
>> Christine

>Want to get together Weds?

I would love to...

I will email you...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:44:07 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:43:01 -0700, Arri London >
> >wrote:

> >I just looked in the David Lebovitz book, and his Rocky Road ice cream
> >is not a separate recipe, but is in the notes about chocolate ice
> >cream. He just says to fold in marshmallows and peanuts. Doesn't say
> >anything about adding it beforehand.
> >
> >This book is wonderful. I should bring it over there....
> >
> >Christine

> I just looked in one of the Williams-Sonoma books I have, and they
> said fold in the add-ins when the ice cream is almost frozen, in the
> ice cream freezer.
>
> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
>
> Christine

Want to get together Weds?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Nov 2007 05:22:54p, Christine Dabney meant to say...

> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:27:03 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

>>Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>Want to get together Weds?

> I would love to...
>
> I will email you...
>
> Christine

Take pictures!

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

The death of God left the angels in a strange position.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote in :

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:44:07 -0700, Christine Dabney
>> > wrote:

icecream.

>> >I just looked in the David Lebovitz book, and his Rocky Road ice

cream
>> >is not a separate recipe, but is in the notes about chocolate ice
>> >cream. He just says to fold in marshmallows and peanuts. Doesn't

say
>> >anything about adding it beforehand.
>> >
>> >This book is wonderful. I should bring it over there....
>> >
>> >Christine

>> I just looked in one of the Williams-Sonoma books I have, and they
>> said fold in the add-ins when the ice cream is almost frozen, in the
>> ice cream freezer.
>>
>> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
>>
>> Christine

> Want to get together Weds?

Freeze the additives first or they'll soften up on you. I learned this by
not freezing sliced almonds in a raspberry lime frozen yogurt...Ever had
soften sliced almonds?...not a nice thing.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:22:54 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:27:03 -0700, Arri London >
>wrote:
>

>>Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>Want to get together Weds?

>I would love to...
>
>I will email you...

<sniffle> group hug!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Nov 2007 05:22:54p, Christine Dabney meant to say...
>
> > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:27:03 -0700, Arri London >
> > wrote:

> >>Want to get together Weds?

> > I would love to...
> >
> > I will email you...
> >
> > Christine
> >

> Take pictures!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

LOL not possible. We are dining at my mother's house and she doesn't
like to have her picture taken. Actually neither do I!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:22:54 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:27:03 -0700, Arri London >
> >wrote:

> >>Want to get together Weds?

> >I would love to...
> >
> >I will email you...
> >

> <sniffle> group hug!

LOL sorry! We've been trying to arrange this since Christine moved here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Christine Dabney wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:44:07 -0700, Christine Dabney

> icecream.

> cream

> say

> >> I just looked in one of the Williams-Sonoma books I have, and they
> >> said fold in the add-ins when the ice cream is almost frozen, in the
> >> ice cream freezer.
> >>
> >> By the way, I am off tonight, and the next two days.
> >>
> >> Christine

> > Want to get together Weds?
> >

> Freeze the additives first or they'll soften up on you. I learned this by
> not freezing sliced almonds in a raspberry lime frozen yogurt...Ever had
> soften sliced almonds?...not a nice thing.

Yes. That is now the plan thank you. The marshmallows will be cut up (we
only have the larger ones) and the walnuts (cos we don't have any more
peanuts) as well. Will report back next week how the experiment went.

Rocky Road Recipe goodfood Recipes 5 11-04-2015 07:51 AM
Rocky Road candy - where to get it? Lenona General Cooking 7 11-02-2011 05:50 AM
Rocky Road Fudge Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 10-02-2008 10:26 PM
Rocky Road Laura M Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Rocky Road ice cream with melted marshmallows? David Savitt General Cooking 1 03-10-2003 07:03 PM