Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rocky Road candy - where to get it?

That is, does anyone know where you can order it for well under $1 per
ounce? (Not fudge, mind you.)

Russell Stover used to sell it in supermarkets. Not sure how much it
weighed, but the box was the same size as the other 12-oz. boxes. You
needed a knife to serve it, since it was one big block. (Maybe that's
why I don't see it any more?)

They still sell it online in 1.7 oz. pieces - the box is about 13 oz.
for $11.99. No thank you!

So, does anyone know where else you can order it online, since the
only other option is to find the type of candy store where everything
is under glass - and still pretty expensive? Thank you.

(I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 10:19*am, Lenona > wrote:

> (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)
>
> Lenona.

Oh boo hoo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lenona wrote:
> That is, does anyone know where you can order it for well under $1 per
> ounce? (Not fudge, mind you.)
>
> Russell Stover used to sell it in supermarkets. Not sure how much it
> weighed, but the box was the same size as the other 12-oz. boxes. You
> needed a knife to serve it, since it was one big block. (Maybe that's
> why I don't see it any more?)
>
> They still sell it online in 1.7 oz. pieces - the box is about 13 oz.
> for $11.99. No thank you!
>
> So, does anyone know where else you can order it online, since the
> only other option is to find the type of candy store where everything
> is under glass - and still pretty expensive? Thank you.
>
> (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)
>
> Lenona.

If Rocky Road candy is like the ice cream of the same name, isn't it just
mini marshmallows and chopped nuts in chocolate? Couldn't be easier to make.
You don't even need a pan!

Just melt some of whatever kind of chocolate you prefer, stir the additional
stuff in, and turn it out on a piece of parchment or waxed paper to set. (Or
a silpat, if you have one.) If you think it will be too runny, just put a
bigger sheet of paper in a cake tin or whatever to hold the sides up. It
hardly matters whether the edges are neat, does it?

You might want to melt 2/3 of your chocolate in something like a big pyrex
measuring cup or bowl in the microwave, then stir in the remaining third,
finely chopped, and stir until melted. It should be somewhat cooled by then,
too, and thicker. Then stir in the marshmallows and nuts, and use a spatula
to scrape it onto the paper. Or you could do the same thing using a round
metal mixing bowl on a very low burner. You shouldn't have a problem with
anything sticking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:19:42 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
wrote:

> So, does anyone know where else you can order it online, since the
> only other option is to find the type of candy store where everything
> is under glass - and still pretty expensive? Thank you.
>
> (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)

Buy rocky road ice cream... it's better than candy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)

Too bad you don't want a recipe because this one arrived in the mail
today and it looks dead easy. Seems like the only trick is to make
sure to butter the pan well.
<http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dessert-recipes/Crispy-Rocky-Road-Bites?_mid=1062832&_rid=1062832.691900.112015>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 7:59*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:19:42 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
> wrote:
>
> > (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> > gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)

> Too bad you don't want a recipe because this one arrived in the mail
> today and it looks dead easy. *Seems like the only trick is to make
> sure to butter the pan well. *

I wonder if it would work just as well without the peanuts?

I should have said "rubber spatula" and "pot." I tried to make a type
of rocky road concoction a while back - it was made of vanilla
cookies, which you bake, some mini-marshmallow mixture on top, and
then each little pyramid is smothered in melted chocolate, one at a
time. The trouble was getting all the melted chocolate out of the pot
before it hardened. (I couldn't very well keep the heat on - it would
have burned.)

What would really be nice would be being able to order a whole slab in
a box, just as Russell Stover used to sell it.

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:30:18 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
wrote:

> On Feb 10, 7:59*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:19:42 -0800 (PST), Lenona >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > (I DON'T care to make it myself - it's tiresome and the spatula never
> > > gets all the chocolate off the pan's walls.)

> > Too bad you don't want a recipe because this one arrived in the mail
> > today and it looks dead easy. *Seems like the only trick is to make
> > sure to butter the pan well. *

> I wonder if it would work just as well without the peanuts?

If you want to make real rocky road, you need nuts. I guess you could
switch out the nuts though. I see Stover's is made with walnuts.

> I should have said "rubber spatula" and "pot." I tried to make a type
> of rocky road concoction a while back - it was made of vanilla
> cookies, which you bake, some mini-marshmallow mixture on top, and
> then each little pyramid is smothered in melted chocolate, one at a
> time. The trouble was getting all the melted chocolate out of the pot
> before it hardened. (I couldn't very well keep the heat on - it would
> have burned.)

That's what a double boiler is for. Just set a bowl over a saucepan
with some simmering water in it.

> What would really be nice would be being able to order a whole slab in
> a box, just as Russell Stover used to sell it.

Was Russell Stover slab mostly marshmallow studded with nuts and
covered with chocolate? Joy of Baking has one like that.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/candy/RockyRoad.html I've never been so in
love with marshmallow that I wanted to make it myself, but I
understand that if you like marshmallow, you'll love homemade.

Rocky Road Recipe goodfood Recipes 5 11-04-2015 07:51 AM
Rocky Road Fudge Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 10-02-2008 10:26 PM
Rocky Road Laura M Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Rocky Road Clusters Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 05-09-2006 11:23 PM
Rocky Road Brownies Duckie ® Recipes 0 31-01-2004 04:17 PM