Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Dinner

They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg

One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
Thanksgiving Day.
Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus, Easter
Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)

Oh, well. Turkey is good.
(Wayne -- none for you!)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:

>Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
>families" like that here.

Their population numbers are up all over the U.S.

We have wild turkeys (more than one individual) show up
in the middle of Berkeley, California -- we're not even near
the hills.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
> they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
> http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg
>
> One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
> Thanksgiving Day.
> Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus, Easter
> Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)
>
> Oh, well. Turkey is good.
> (Wayne -- none for you!)
>
> Dee Dee

Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
families" like that here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 27 Oct 2007 11:37:40a, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
> they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
> http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg
>
> One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
> Thanksgiving Day.
> Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus,

Easter
> Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)
>
> Oh, well. Turkey is good.
> (Wayne -- none for you!)

Thank God!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I have a rock garden, but three of them died last week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
> families" like that here.

I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm raised.
Something about their "life on the road" diet.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> George said...
>
>> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
>> families" like that here.

> I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm raised.
> Something about their "life on the road" diet.
>
> Andy

Free range?
;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:37:40 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
>they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
>http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg

You know they say "safety in numbers"? I guess your turkeys got that
message too.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 2:06?pm, George > wrote:
> Dee.Dee wrote:
> > They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
> > they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
> >http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg

> > One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
> > Thanksgiving Day.
> > Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus, Easter
> > Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)

> > Oh, well. Turkey is good.
> > (Wayne -- none for you!)

> > Dee Dee

> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
> families" like that here.- Hide quoted text -

We have wild turkeys too, I just love them. This year two hens, one
had 2 poults and the other 11, banded up and raised them all together,
all of them survived. I really enjoy seeing them here at the feeders.

Once I had 28 of them lined up getting a drink at the pond. They are
great birds!

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran > wrote in
:

> I ate wild turkey once. The meat was dry and stringy and
> has a bad taste, like Venison or wild duck.

it is mostly dark meat, & very low fat unless you find one in a
beech forest (eating lots of beech nuts puts a nice layer of fat
on), but if they are cleaned, aged, & cooked properly they
shouldn't be stringy or very gamey.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> George said...
>>
>>> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
>>> families" like that here.

>> I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm raised.
>> Something about their "life on the road" diet.
>>
>> Andy

> Free range?
> ;-))
> Dee Dee

When I was a kid my uncle had a farm. He used to raise free range
turkeys just for the family. I always remember going there seeing big
birds that could just fly enough to hop up onto the fence or the barn. I
also remember going there the day before Thanksgiving to pick up one of
the birds he had just dressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> George said...
>
>> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
>> families" like that here.

> I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm raised.
> Something about their "life on the road" diet.
>
> Andy

Like most wild animals the taste really depends on what they eat. There
is definitely less breast meat (which is OK with me).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> George said...

>>> I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm
>>> raised.
>>> Something about their "life on the road" diet.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Free range?
>> ;-))
>> Dee Dee

> When I was a kid my uncle had a farm. He used to raise free range turkeys
> just for the family. I always remember going there seeing big birds that
> could just fly enough to hop up onto the fence or the barn. I also
> remember going there the day before Thanksgiving to pick up one of the
> birds he had just dressed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

> I ate wild turkey one. The meat was dry and stringy and has a bad
> taste, like Venison or wild duck.

I've eaten it several times. Every time, it's good. Not dry, not
stringy. The taste is different, but a good taste all the same.

<I also like venison and wild duck, so go figure>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> George said...

>>> I never ate a wild turkey. Bet it tastes very different than farm
>>> raised.
>>> Something about their "life on the road" diet.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Free range?
>> ;-))
>> Dee Dee

> When I was a kid my uncle had a farm. He used to raise free range turkeys
> just for the family. I always remember going there seeing big birds that
> could just fly enough to hop up onto the fence or the barn. I also
> remember going there the day before Thanksgiving to pick up one of the
> birds he had just dressed.

You reminded me -- my cousin born on a farm used to have a big turkey chase
him. It really scared him, but here he is confronting this turkey; such a
little tyke.
http://i24.tinypic.com/2evuh39.jpg

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 27, 2:06?pm, George > wrote:
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>> > They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them
>> > because
>> > they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.
>> >http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg

>> > One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
>> > Thanksgiving Day.
>> > Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus,
>> > Easter
>> > Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)

>> > Oh, well. Turkey is good.
>> > (Wayne -- none for you!)

>> > Dee Dee

>> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
>> families" like that here.- Hide quoted text -

> We have wild turkeys too, I just love them. This year two hens, one
> had 2 poults and the other 11, banded up and raised them all together,
> all of them survived. I really enjoy seeing them here at the feeders.
>
> Once I had 28 of them lined up getting a drink at the pond. They are
> great birds!
>
> Rosie

What a beautiful site - 28 of them -- I could've hardly breathed ! Ours
seem to be getting a little more tame coming up closer to the house now.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> margaret suran > wrote in
> :
>
>> I ate wild turkey once. The meat was dry and stringy and
>> has a bad taste, like Venison or wild duck.

> it is mostly dark meat, & very low fat unless you find one in a
> beech forest (eating lots of beech nuts puts a nice layer of fat
> on), but if they are cleaned, aged, & cooked properly they
> shouldn't be stringy or very gamey.
> lee

DH had a lamb shank (frozen with a marinade, then baked at 350º) from Costco
this evening. They were 4 for 18$ with a coupon. He said he would have
rather eaten one of the turkeys. He said while he was eating that he kept
thinking of the cute little lambs at the farm this spring.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" > wrote in
:

> DH had a lamb shank (frozen with a marinade, then baked at
> 350º) from Costco this evening. They were 4 for 18$ with a
> coupon. He said he would have rather eaten one of the
> turkeys. He said while he was eating that he kept thinking
> of the cute little lambs at the farm this spring.

hah! let him spend a week on the sheep farm, particularly at
shearing time. he'll get over the "cute little lambie" thing
real fast
i love most livestock. sheep are just too stupid for words,
because they have had all the brains bred out of them.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in
> :
>
>> DH had a lamb shank (frozen with a marinade, then baked at
>> 350º) from Costco this evening. They were 4 for 18$ with a
>> coupon. He said he would have rather eaten one of the
>> turkeys. He said while he was eating that he kept thinking
>> of the cute little lambs at the farm this spring.

> hah! let him spend a week on the sheep farm, particularly at
> shearing time. he'll get over the "cute little lambie" thing
> real fast
> i love most livestock. sheep are just too stupid for words,
> because they have had all the brains bred out of them.
> lee

I was born and raised on a farm myself -- brains or no brains, I just can't
eat the little lambie-poos, myself. That's not the real story tho. I can't
stand the smell and taste of meat. Just like some can't stand cilantro.

But he has no problem with other meat -- just these sweet little lambs.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 1:37 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> They're getting ready for the big day. You can't see all of them because
> they're huddled, but there are 8 of them.http://i24.tinypic.com/ifrfxl.jpg
>
> One doesn't have to wonder why turkey is what was served on the first
> Thanksgiving Day.
> Or is that all a lie, too -- I've heard that it is. (Santa Claus, Easter
> Bunny & Jack O'Lanterns)
>
> Oh, well. Turkey is good.
> (Wayne -- none for you!)

I love traditional turkey Thanksgiving dinner.

If I won the lottery, I would have a dozen turkeys roasted every week
or so. I'd keep one, and donate all the rest to a homeless shelter,
but I'd keep all of the drippings for making turkey gravy. I wonder
what's happening for Thanksgiving this year. I need to ask my in-
laws.

> Dee Dee

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 27, 8:14?pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "rosie" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...

> >> Wild turkeys really came back in my area. We frequently see "turkey
> >> families" like that here.- Hide quoted text -

> > We have wild turkeys too, I just love them. This year two hens, one
> > had 2 poults and the other 11, banded up and raised them all together,
> > all of them survived. I really enjoy seeing them here at the feeders.

> > Once I had 28 of them lined up getting a drink at the pond. They are
> > great birds!

> > Rosie

> What a beautiful site - 28 of them -- I could've hardly breathed ! Ours
> seem to be getting a little more tame coming up closer to the house now.
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

Yes, they wer/are gorgeous bird, big, long legged and healthy. These
birs seem to be a lot smarter than the domestic turkeys. They can
fly and fast too.

Have enjoyed them more than I ever realized I would.

Rosie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:12:21 -0400, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

snip to my lou

>You reminded me -- my cousin born on a farm used to have a big turkey chase
>him. It really scared him, but here he is confronting this turkey; such a
>little tyke.
>http://i24.tinypic.com/2evuh39.jpg
>
>Dee Dee

I can see why he was scared, that's a good size turkey.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/23

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

>> When I was a kid my uncle had a farm. He used to raise free range turkeys
>> just for the family. I always remember going there seeing big birds that
>> could just fly enough to hop up onto the fence or the barn. I also
>> remember going there the day before Thanksgiving to pick up one of the
>> birds he had just dressed.

> You reminded me -- my cousin born on a farm used to have a big turkey chase
> him. It really scared him, but here he is confronting this turkey; such a
> little tyke.
> http://i24.tinypic.com/2evuh39.jpg
>
> Dee Dee

That brings back memories. I was smaller than that when I first
encountered the turkeys. From my memory they didn't bother us but I am
sure we annoyed them.