Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moist Chocolate Cake - and easy, too

Hi,this is one of my recipes for a chocolate cake, which is so easy, a
child can do it (and has). Always comes out great, keeps moist for 3-4
days, can be used in bundt form or cupcakes.

The batter comes out very thin, so don't be alarmed.

Chocolate Cake with Boiling Water

Preheat the oven to 345°F.
In a bowl of a mixer, place:

3/4 cup cocoa
1 + 3/4 cup white flour
1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1+1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup canola oil (cooking oil)

Mix all on high for 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix well. Use
spatula to mix all batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl. Pour
into buttered and floured bundt form, bake 45 min or until done in the
center (the toothpick method).

Magdalena Bassett
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Magdalena Bassett wrote:
> Hi,this is one of my recipes for a chocolate cake, which is so easy, a
> child can do it (and has). Always comes out great, keeps moist for 3-4
> days, can be used in bundt form or cupcakes.
>
> 3/4 cup cocoa
> 1 + 3/4 cup white flour
> 1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1+1/2 teaspoons baking soda
> 2 cups sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 cup canola oil (cooking oil)

Here is another one for a simple eggless chocolate cake, but it uses
much less sugar and is a good size for a small family.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Eggless Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water

Sift together flour, cocoa, soda, sugar and salt. Mix in oil and
vinegar and vanilla.
Add water and mix well.
Bake in 9 inch greased square pan for 30 min at 350 degrees.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Magdalena Bassett" > wrote in message
> Hi,this is one of my recipes for a chocolate cake, which is so easy, a
> child can do it (and has). Always comes out great, keeps moist for 3-4
> days, can be used in bundt form or cupcakes.
>
> The batter comes out very thin, so don't be alarmed.
>
> Chocolate Cake with Boiling Water
>
> Preheat the oven to 345°F.
> In a bowl of a mixer, place:
>
> 3/4 cup cocoa
> 1 + 3/4 cup white flour
> 1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1+1/2 teaspoons baking soda
> 2 cups sugar
> 2 eggs
> 1/2 cup canola oil (cooking oil)

For the sake of us ignorant englishmen, how much is a cup?

Cups here come in different sizes.

> Mix all on high for 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix well. Use
> spatula to mix all batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl. Pour into
> buttered and floured bundt form, bake 45 min or until done in the center
> (the toothpick method).
>
> Magdalena Bassett

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holmes" > wrote

> For the sake of us ignorant englishmen, how much is a cup?

There are conversions in the FAQ:

http://vsack.homepage.t-online.de/rfc_faq.html

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Moist Chocolate Cake/CORRECTED RECIPE

Alan Holmes wrote:
> For the sake of us ignorant englishmen, how much is a cup?

You are so right. Here is a corrected recipe:

Chocolate Cake with boiling water

65 g / 0.75 cup cocoa
225 g/ 1.75 cup flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
400 g / 2 cup sugar
2 eggs
120 ml / 0.5 cup canola oil (cooking oil)
240 ml / 1 cup milk

240 ml / 1 cup boiling water

Mix all on high for 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix well. Use
spatula to mix all batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl. Pour
into buttered and floured bundt form, bake 45 min or until done in the
center (the toothpick method).

Magdalena Bassett

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:

> More corrections below:
>
> Replace canola oil with butter and replace milk with real cream.

Or better yet, put something acidic in the recipe to bring out the
flavor of the chocolate. Use sour cream instead cream, or use white
wine instead of water.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:12:21 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Or better yet, put something acidic in the recipe to bring out the
>flavor of the chocolate. Use sour cream instead cream, or use white
>wine instead of water.

Oddly enough, a bit of salt will emphasize the chocolate. And coffee
will highlight it too..not too much, but just a tiny bit.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Oddly enough, a bit of salt will emphasize the chocolate. And coffee
> will highlight it too..not too much, but just a tiny bit.

I'd never heard of or tried salt in chocolate before, but it makes
sense. Doesn't salt have an acidifying effect chemically?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:38:16 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>>
>> Oddly enough, a bit of salt will emphasize the chocolate. And coffee
>> will highlight it too..not too much, but just a tiny bit.

>I'd never heard of or tried salt in chocolate before, but it makes
>sense. Doesn't salt have an acidifying effect chemically?
>

>--Lia

I don't know about the chemical effect. But try the salt addition.
Not much, just a tiny bit.

Fleur de Sel is great on top of some chocolate items. It really does
accent the chocolate flavor.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:

> Magdalena Bassett wrote:
>
>> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> For the sake of us ignorant englishmen, how much is a cup?

>> You are so right. Here is a corrected recipe:
>>
>> Chocolate Cake with boiling water
>>
>> 65 g / 0.75 cup cocoa
>> 225 g/ 1.75 cup flour
>> 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
>> 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
>> 400 g / 2 cup sugar
>> 2 eggs
>> 120 ml / 0.5 cup canola oil (cooking oil)
>> 240 ml / 1 cup milk
>>
>> 240 ml / 1 cup boiling water
>>
>> Mix all on high for 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix well.
>> Use spatula to mix all batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl.
>> Pour into buttered and floured bundt form, bake 45 min or until done
>> in the center (the toothpick method).
>>

>> Magdalena Bassett

> More corrections below:
>
> Replace canola oil with butter and replace milk with real cream.

Wrong! an addition of oil makes a moist cake. Using butter IN THIS CASE
makes a tough cake. Using cream instead of milk will make the cake fall.

Smartasses like you have ruined many a good recipe, so lay off mine.
PLONK anyway.

MB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
>

>> More corrections below:
>>
>> Replace canola oil with butter and replace milk with real cream.

> Or better yet, put something acidic in the recipe to bring out the
> flavor of the chocolate. Use sour cream instead cream, or use white
> wine instead of water.
>

> --Lia

The addition of boiling water in this recipe develops the flavor of the
chocolate. Acidic additives aren't the only way to do that.

MB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:12:21 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>

>>Or better yet, put something acidic in the recipe to bring out the
>>flavor of the chocolate. Use sour cream instead cream, or use white
>>wine instead of water.
>>

> Oddly enough, a bit of salt will emphasize the chocolate. And coffee
> will highlight it too..not too much, but just a tiny bit.
>
> Christine

Yes, I have made it with coffee for a mocha flavor, also with orange flavor.

MB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Magdalena Bassett wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>> Green Xenon [Radium] wrote:
>>

>>> More corrections below:
>>>
>>> Replace canola oil with butter and replace milk with real cream.

>> Or better yet, put something acidic in the recipe to bring out the
>> flavor of the chocolate. Use sour cream instead cream, or use white
>> wine instead of water.
>>

>> --Lia
>>

> The addition of boiling water in this recipe develops the flavor of the
> chocolate. Acidic additives aren't the only way to do that.
>
> MB

How does boiling water develop chocolate's flavour?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 2:12 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Bake at what temperature?
>
> -sw-

the original post says 345F

-TK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:50:20 -0700, Magdalena Bassett wrote:
>

>>Alan Holmes wrote:
>>
>>>For the sake of us ignorant englishmen, how much is a cup?

>>You are so right. Here is a corrected recipe:
>>
>>Chocolate Cake with boiling water
>>
>>65 g / 0.75 cup cocoa
>>225 g/ 1.75 cup flour
>>1.5 teaspoons baking powder
>>1.5 teaspoons baking soda
>>400 g / 2 cup sugar
>>2 eggs
>>120 ml / 0.5 cup canola oil (cooking oil)
>>240 ml / 1 cup milk
>>
>>240 ml / 1 cup boiling water
>>
>>Mix all on high for 2 minutes, add 1 cup of boiling water, mix well. Use
>>spatula to mix all batter from the bottom and sides of the bowl. Pour
>>into buttered and floured bundt form, bake 45 min or until done in the
>>center (the toothpick method).

> Bake at what temperature?
>
> -sw

345°F

MB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:52:48 -0700, "Green Xenon [Radium]"
> wrote:

>More corrections below:
>
>Replace canola oil with butter and replace milk with real cream.
>
>Real cream = "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured], annatto-free,
>preservative-free, carrageen-free, carrageenan-free, polysorbate-free,
>purely-natural, completely-organic cream made from the milk of healthy
>cows, free of nonfat milk solids and free of added mono/di- glycerides.

How about just posting a corrected recipe? I bet lots of people would
be grateful.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Magdalena Bassett wrote:
>> Hi,this is one of my recipes for a chocolate cake, which is so easy, a
>> child can do it (and has). Always comes out great, keeps moist for 3-4
>> days, can be used in bundt form or cupcakes.

<snip>

> Here is another one for a simple eggless chocolate cake, but it uses
> much less sugar and is a good size for a small family.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Eggless Chocolate Cake

I make this one a lot (and give Goomba credit when I post it other
places). My family loves it.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"I never told my religion, nor scrutinized that of another. I
never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change
another's creed. I have judged others' religions by their lives,
for it is from our lives and not our words that our religions
must be read." Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 23, 10:02 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:38:16 -0400, Julia Altshuler
>
> > wrote:
> >Christine Dabney wrote:

> >> Oddly enough, a bit of salt will emphasize the chocolate. And coffee
> >> will highlight it too..not too much, but just a tiny bit.

> >I'd never heard of or tried salt in chocolate before, but it makes
> >sense. Doesn't salt have an acidifying effect chemically?

> >--Lia

> I don't know about the chemical effect. But try the salt addition.
> Not much, just a tiny bit.
>

> Christine

On the side of a can of Hershey's cocoa for hot chocolate it says to
add a pinch of salt and then a bit of boiling water. The boiling
water, in this case, desolves the cocoa which makes it ready for the
addition of milk for your hot chocolate. I'm assuming the pinch of
salt helps bring out the flavor. Anyway, when we made hot chocolate
we never forgot that pinch of salt.