Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default safe to eat baby back ribs?

I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
-- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bowler wrote:
> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,

>I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
>-- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
>that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
>eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
>Thanks!

That should not be a problem, if they were in good condition
when you bought them and your refrigerator is at a nice low
temperature. If you're uncertain, consider skipping the marinade
and grilling them up right away.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg > wrote:

>bowler wrote:

>> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
>> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
>> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
>> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

>If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
>fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
are free-range and therfore tougher.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> Dave Bugg > wrote:
>
>> bowler wrote:

>>> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36
>>> hours -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them
>>> overnight -- that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they
>>> still be safe to eat? I have confidence in the organic food store
>>> where I bought them.

>> If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're
>> just fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6
>> hours is plenty.

> For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
> are free-range and therfore tougher.

Doesn't matter. Ribs are not a tender meat, they are tough because of the
high collagen content. A marinade that long will turn the ribs to a mushy
texture.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bowler" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> Thanks!

They are good for 5 to 7 days if properly stored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 7:20 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> bowler wrote:
> > I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> > -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> > that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> > eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

> If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
> fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.
>
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bowler" > wrote in message

> Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
> unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
> have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
> marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
> They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

You worry too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bowler wrote:
> On Oct 17, 7:20 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> bowler wrote:
>>> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36
>>> hours -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them
>>> overnight -- that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they
>>> still be safe to eat? I have confidence in the organic food store
>>> where I bought them.

>> If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're
>> just fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6
>> hours is plenty.
>>
>> --
>> Davewww.davebbq.com

> Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
> unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
> have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
> marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
> They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

Don't worry, they'll be fine. And if not, that's what they make bbq sauce
for :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler > wrote:
> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> Thanks!

I would suspect they should be just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler > wrote:
> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> Thanks!

I bet they're fine.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> bowler wrote:

>> Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
>> unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
>> have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
>> marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
>> They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

How did the ribs turn out?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 9:14 pm, bowler > wrote:
> On Oct 17, 7:20 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > bowler wrote:
> > > I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> > > -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> > > that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> > > eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

> > If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
> > fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

> > --
> > Davewww.davebbq.com

> Thanks Dave -- I wasn't so clear -- they have been in the fridge,
> unmarinated, for 36 hours. If I had put them in overnight that would
> have made about 42 hours in the fridge. You know what I did? I
> marinated them 2 hours 15 minutes and just put them in the oven now.
> They couldn't turn out bad, could they? Crossed fingers.

Depends on what you marinated them in. I find a lot of marinades to
be hideous, like bottled Italian dressing.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 7:07 pm, bowler > wrote:
> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> Thanks!

If they were off you wouldn't need to ask.
You'd smell them as soon as you opened the door.

Cam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Steve Pontificator) wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> >bowler wrote:
> >> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> >> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> >> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> >> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.

> >If your refrigerator holds food at a constant 42F or below, you're just
> >fine. But marinating ribs for 24 hours is too long IMO. 6 hours is plenty.

> For commercial pork, that is true. "Organic" could mean they
> are free-range and therfore tougher.

So what, not all marinades tenderize, many just add flavor... pork
ribs don't need tenderizing... they need long slow cooking. I
marinate ribs for three days

marinade [MEHR-ih-nayd]
A seasoned liquid in which foods such as meat, fish and vegetables are
soaked (marinated) in order to absorb flavor and, in some instances,
to be tenderized.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler > wrote:
> I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> Thanks!

Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 9:28 pm, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
> On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler > wrote:
>
> > I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> > -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> > that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> > eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> > Thanks!

> Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
> visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?
>
> Myrl

Dear all -- thanks for the very interesting discussion and great
support. I will remember those points -- like why marinade at all, how
much is too much, and that I worry too much. What happened -- It was
late when I posted my question. If I was going to marinade AND bake
AND be in bed by 1am I had to get started. When I didn't IMMEDIATELY
get the answer that I could wait I decided to go ahead with the
marinade. I didn't have any bbq sauce -- I'd used it before and wow
they were good. I put in tomato sauce, some wasabi sauce, tabasco,
garlic powder, salt & lots of Pepper, stirred it up good and marinaded
for 2 hrs 15 minutes. Baked them for 2 hours at 300. My husband had
them for breakfast today. I had them for lunch. Yes, they were quite
good but not WOW which I wrote on my recipe card the first time I made
them -- and marinaded overnight. They weren't tough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 18, 8:00 pm, bowler > wrote:
> On Oct 18, 9:28 pm, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
>
> > On Oct 17, 4:07 pm, bowler > wrote:

> > > I have had some baby back ribs in the refrigerator for about 36 hours
> > > -- forgot I have to marinate them -- if I marinate them overnight --
> > > that makes 2 days in the refrigerator -- will they still be safe to
> > > eat? I have confidence in the organic food store where I bought them.
> > > Thanks!

> > Bowler - How did those baby back ribs turn out??? Why do I have
> > visions of a full belly, and you snoring on a couch somewhere?

> > Myrl

> Dear all -- thanks for the very interesting discussion and great
> support. I will remember those points -- like why marinade at all, how
> much is too much, and that I worry too much. What happened -- It was
> late when I posted my question. If I was going to marinade AND bake
> AND be in bed by 1am I had to get started. When I didn't IMMEDIATELY
> get the answer that I could wait I decided to go ahead with the
> marinade. I didn't have any bbq sauce -- I'd used it before and wow
> they were good. I put in tomato sauce, some wasabi sauce, tabasco,
> garlic powder, salt & lots of Pepper, stirred it up good and marinaded
> for 2 hrs 15 minutes. Baked them for 2 hours at 300. My husband had
> them for breakfast today. I had them for lunch. Yes, they were quite
> good but not WOW which I wrote on my recipe card the first time I made
> them -- and marinaded overnight. They weren't tough.

So glad your experience was good. . .Hmmmm - Wasabi, now that's a
great addition. I need to try that!

Myrl

Baby Back Ribs Theron General Cooking 8 09-09-2009 07:16 AM
Baby Back Ribs Kathleen[_4_] General Cooking 3 09-09-2008 10:12 PM
Baby Back Ribs Van[_2_] General Cooking 1 09-09-2008 07:58 PM
Baby Back Ribs [email protected] General Cooking 4 17-06-2007 01:33 PM