Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Baby Back Ribs

What are your thoughts about grilling baby back ribs? I just posted
something almost identical to this on alt.food.barbecue. I thought I'd ask
the same on this NG.
1. Do you use a "rub" in addition to salt and pepper?
2. Do you use any commercial "rubs"?
3. I paint with half strength cider vinegar before seasoning. Any
thoughts about painting, or mopping? Have any used Chiavetta's marinade to
mop? Other commercial "mops"
4. How long do you rub and paint before the meat goes onto the grill?
5. Do you indirectly heat with coals on both sides or one side? How
do you grill indirectly on gas? Can you successfully?
6. What's the best temp to cook the ribs? 215F to ????
7. Do you cook the ribs over a water pan, or with dry heat?
8. Do you routinely mop periodically? with what?
9 Do you ever wrap in foil for the last 30-60 minutes to avoid drying
out?
10. Any thoughts I have forgotten? What should I do about it?

Thanks so much, and a happy holiday to all,

Ed

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

from duplicate posting in RFB:

Sky wrote:

> Theron wrote:
> >
> > I'm ready to head to the breezeway and start on a rack of baby back ribs. I
> > thought it be interesting and helpful to we NG readers to question your
> > thoughts on the following about grilling baby back ribs. All the below
> > suggests we're using the round 22" Weber with indirect heat. However all
> > thoughts using any cooking apparatus will be appreciated.
> >
> > 1. Do you rub with anything in addition to salt and pepper?

> Guy's Seasoning
>
> > 2. Do you use any commercial "rubs"?

> see above Guy's Seasoning
>
> > 3. I paint with half strength cider vinegar before seasoning. Any
> > thoughts about painting?

> Never heard of that before! Sounds interesting - might have to give that
> a try
>
> > 4. How long do you rub and paint before the meat goes onto the grill?

> Just depends whether planned ahead or impulse cooking
>
> > 5. Do you indirectly heat with coals on both sides or one side?

> Usually one side
>
> > 6. What's the best temp to cook the ribs? 215F to ????

> Temp? I'm supposed to regulate the temperature with a gauge??? <G>
>
> > 7. Do you cook the ribs over a water pan, or with dry heat? I'm
> > particularly interested in consensus about this with a bullet smoker,
> > though that's not what I'm doing today.

> I don't.
>
> > 8. Do you ever wrap in foil for the last 30-60"?

> Nope, never have yet.
>
> > 9 If so do you foil routinely or because you have to when things get
> > too dry? I know this has been beaten up recently.

> See above
>
> > 10. What have I forgotten and what should I do about it?

> Dunno, the rest of the menu maybe???? What about the beverages
>
> > Thanks so much, and a happy holiday to all,
> >
> > Ed

> I enjoyed this survey Thanks.
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:
> What are your thoughts about grilling baby back ribs? I just posted
> something almost identical to this on alt.food.barbecue. I thought
> I'd ask the same on this NG.

Maybe you can post on a buncha other NGs for a buncha other opinions. By
then the meat will have spoiled and you won't need to worry 'bout a thing.
--
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> What are your thoughts about grilling baby back ribs? I just posted
> something almost identical to this on alt.food.barbecue. I thought I'd ask
> the same on this NG.

> 1. Do you use a "rub" in addition to salt and pepper?

I don't use salt, and pepper is part of my spice rub.

> 2. Do you use any commercial "rubs"?

I avoid commercial blends becuase the first ingredient is almost
always spice, and typically, these things are over half salt. Compared
to the large cannister of salt for under 50 cents, a $3+ jar of spice
rub for less than 1 ounce is a rip-off.

> 3. I paint with half strength cider vinegar before seasoning. Any
> thoughts about painting, or mopping? Have any used Chiavetta's marinade to
> mop? Other commercial "mops"

I use a Kansas City style, and KC doesn't tend to use mops. I believe
that is a more southern technique.

> 4. How long do you rub and paint before the meat goes onto the grill?

An hour is good.

> 5. Do you indirectly heat with coals on both sides or one side? How
> do you grill indirectly on gas? Can you successfully?

I have a barrel smoker with firebox. Indirect heat from the firebox.

> 6. What's the best temp to cook the ribs? 215F to ????

I like to keep the smoker just cool enough I can touch it, but not keep
my hand on it, and then go six to eight hours.

> 7. Do you cook the ribs over a water pan, or with dry heat?

If I want added moisture, I'll boil it. I don't. That's sacrilege.

> 8. Do you routinely mop periodically? with what?

n/a

> 9 Do you ever wrap in foil for the last 30-60 minutes to avoid drying
> out?

Nope.

> 10. Any thoughts I have forgotten? What should I do about it?

Don't sauce your BBQ on the grill. If your BBQ is worth eating, it can
stand naked. Then offer a selection of sauces and let those eating
choose what suits their palettes.

> Thanks so much, and a happy holiday to all,

And to you.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jt august" > wrote in message
>> 6. What's the best temp to cook the ribs? 215F to ????

> I like to keep the smoker just cool enough I can touch it, but not keep
> my hand on it, and then go six to eight hours.

If that works for you, fine. But there is really no need to go that long
and that low. Tending a fire become boring after 4 or 5 hours for a couple
of racks of ribs.

>> 7. Do you cook the ribs over a water pan, or with dry heat?

> If I want added moisture, I'll boil it. I don't. That's sacrilege.

The OP was talking about a vertical smoker. There it is often advisable to
have a baffle or heat sink between the fire and the meat. It does not add
any moisture, it just keeps the radiant heat from overcooking them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> >> 7. Do you cook the ribs over a water pan, or with dry heat?

> > If I want added moisture, I'll boil it. I don't. That's sacrilege.

> The OP was talking about a vertical smoker. There it is often advisable to
> have a baffle or heat sink between the fire and the meat. It does not add
> any moisture, it just keeps the radiant heat from overcooking them.

Ah, now I understand. I never got the appeal of those things, except
maybe for apartment dwellers or townhouses that have small patios or
balconies, not the luxury of space for a "traditional" smoker.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jt august" > wrote in message

>> > If I want added moisture, I'll boil it. I don't. That's sacrilege.

>> The OP was talking about a vertical smoker. There it is often advisable
>> have a baffle or heat sink between the fire and the meat. It does not add
>> any moisture, it just keeps the radiant heat from overcooking them.

> Ah, now I understand. I never got the appeal of those things, except
> maybe for apartment dwellers or townhouses that have small patios or
> balconies, not the luxury of space for a "traditional" smoker.
>
> jt

The original "traditional" bbq pit was a hole in the ground. Few apartment
dwellers can use them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Theron" > wrote in message
> What are your thoughts about grilling baby back ribs?

Buy a quarter slab of ribs cut into quarters instead. That baby-back stuff
is no-meat, just bones bullshit.

Jiill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> "Theron" > wrote in message
> > What are your thoughts about grilling baby back ribs?

> Buy a quarter slab of ribs cut into quarters instead. That baby-back stuff
> is no-meat, just bones bullshit.

I agree, and I don't understand why so many people prefer them. I
always buy spareribs.

--
Julian Vrieslander