Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Market Faux Pas

So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were RIGHT
THERE!!!

Andy's Dumb Twin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
> salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were
> RIGHT
> THERE!!!
>
> Andy's Dumb Twin

Hey, Andy, I had to stop with the chips.

I made a quart of beautiful salsa two days ago. Ate some with beans.
I guess I will put some beans in a tortilla and put the salsa on that.
Getting some frozen tortillas out to thaw now. Out comes some cheese, too.

But I've tried everything with the tortillas to make them into chips, but
they are still too thick and tough.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
> salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were
> RIGHT
> THERE!!!
>
> Andy's Dumb Twin

Must be Trader Joes.
Last weekend I went to Trader Joes just to buy Rice Milk. I buy 12-24 1/2
gal's at a time.
I paid my almost $80 bill, put the food in my car, drove home and found that
I forgot all about the Rice Milk.
ah well, another excuse to go to Trader Joes.
btw, the green salsa is great mixed in w/ cooked brown rice and a little
cheese on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Knit Chic said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
>> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
>> were RIGHT
>> THERE!!!
>>
>> Andy's Dumb Twin

> Must be Trader Joes.
> Last weekend I went to Trader Joes just to buy Rice Milk. I buy 12-24
> 1/2 gal's at a time.
> I paid my almost $80 bill, put the food in my car, drove home and found
> that I forgot all about the Rice Milk.
> ah well, another excuse to go to Trader Joes.
> btw, the green salsa is great mixed in w/ cooked brown rice and a little
> cheese on top.

Knit Chic,

Must be! Whew!!!

You mentioned brown rice. I'm addicted to their frozen organic microwave
brown rice. I don't know what else they put in it but I'm hooked on the
stuff!

Tried it?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each
> of red and green salsas for chips and dip and get home
> and forgot the chips. They were RIGHT THERE!!!

That's not a _faux_pas_, that's a senior moment.

Reminds me of someone I know (a non-German-speaker)
who uses the word "zeitgeist" when he means
"weltanschauung". Very annoying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each
>> of red and green salsas for chips and dip and get home
>> and forgot the chips. They were RIGHT THERE!!!

> That's not a _faux_pas_, that's a senior moment.
>
> Reminds me of someone I know (a non-German-speaker)
> who uses the word "zeitgeist" when he means
> "weltanschauung". Very annoying.

Well there's a "Dazed and Confused" (Led Zeppelin) moment if I don't play so
myself!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Knit Chic said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
>>> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
>>> were RIGHT
>>> THERE!!!
>>>
>>> Andy's Dumb Twin

>> Must be Trader Joes.
>> Last weekend I went to Trader Joes just to buy Rice Milk. I buy 12-24
>> 1/2 gal's at a time.
>> I paid my almost $80 bill, put the food in my car, drove home and found
>> that I forgot all about the Rice Milk.
>> ah well, another excuse to go to Trader Joes.
>> btw, the green salsa is great mixed in w/ cooked brown rice and a little
>> cheese on top.

> Knit Chic,
>
> Must be! Whew!!!
>
> You mentioned brown rice. I'm addicted to their frozen organic microwave
> brown rice. I don't know what else they put in it but I'm hooked on the
> stuff!
>
> Tried it?
>
> Andy

No, but I make a big batch of rice on Monday and use it through out the week
so I doubt that pre cooked rice would work for our family.
I tried their packaged lentil stew today ... It's one of the few TJ foods
that I really don't care for. I need to learn to make it on my own.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

> Knit Chic,
>
> Must be! Whew!!!
>
> You mentioned brown rice. I'm addicted to their frozen organic microwave
> brown rice. I don't know what else they put in it but I'm hooked on the
> stuff!
>
> Tried it?

I get the pouches that are microwavable. Nothing in there but rice. Nice
when I'm in a super hurry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
> were RIGHT THERE!!!

Speaking of TJ's color choices...ever had either their Thai red or
yellow curry sauce? Blinky likes. Yellow a bit more.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:07:52 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
>> Andy's Dumb Twin

> You and Jill ought to shack up and make babies.

HA! Now thats funny right there.

--
It's Fosco, Dammit!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:26:36 -0700, Fosco wrote:

>>> You and Jill ought to shack up and make babies.

>> HA! Now thats funny right there.

> Wrong group Fos. You're looking for alt.food.barbecue - the
> "Never Forget" thread :-)

Yeah yeah, I found it. That dump is even worse than this hellhole.

--
It's Fosco, Dammit!

http://fosco-eats.blogspot.com/
To be updated soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
> salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were RIGHT
> THERE!!!
>
> Andy's Dumb Twin

LOL! Never mind.

You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
tastier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London said...

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
>> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
>> were RIGHT THERE!!!
>>
>> Andy's Dumb Twin

> LOL! Never mind.
>
> You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
> and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
> and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
> They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
> tastier.

Arri,

I should. I like the thicker chips. Better for dipping in salsa or guac or
in a batch of nachos grandé.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
>> salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were
>> RIGHT
>> THERE!!!
>>
>> Andy's Dumb Twin

> LOL! Never mind.
>
> You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
> and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
> and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
> They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
> tastier.

Tastier, yes -- but so, so darned hard!
I've tried baking them, too. just as hard.

Wish I could find some really,really, really thin ones.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Arri London said...
>

>> Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
>>> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
>>> were RIGHT THERE!!!
>>>
>>> Andy's Dumb Twin

>> LOL! Never mind.
>>
>> You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
>> and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
>> and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
>> They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
>> tastier.

> Arri,
>
> I should. I like the thicker chips. Better for dipping in salsa or guac or
> in a batch of nachos grandé.
>
> Andy

Hope your teeth are in good shape. ;-)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Arri London said...

>>> LOL! Never mind.
>>>
>>> You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
>>> and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
>>> and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
>>> They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
>>> tastier.

>> Arri,
>>
>> I should. I like the thicker chips. Better for dipping in salsa or guac

or
>> in a batch of nachos grandé.
>>
>> Andy

> Hope your teeth are in good shape. ;-)
> Dee Dee

Dee Dee!!!

If I can get to the bottom of a bag of Fritos, I can get past a few
tortilla chips. It's popcorn that's my sworn enemy!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> If I can get to the bottom of a bag of Fritos, I can get past a few
> tortilla chips. It's popcorn that's my sworn enemy!!!
>
> Andy

Yes, I've heard popcorn's hard on diverticulitis ;-)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > If I can get to the bottom of a bag of Fritos, I can get past a few
> > tortilla chips. It's popcorn that's my sworn enemy!!!
> >
> > Andy

> Yes, I've heard popcorn's hard on diverticulitis ;-)
> Dee Dee

Funny you should say that... I was there when the doctor was talking to
my BIL about his diverticulitis after he had his colonoscopy (I was his
transportation) and specifically said he should never eat popcorn again.

He said those shells could get lodged in the colon pockets and act like
little razor blades.

I believe it. I've had them cut the hell out of my gums.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> If I can get to the bottom of a bag of Fritos, I can get past a few
>> tortilla chips. It's popcorn that's my sworn enemy!!!
>>
>> Andy

> Yes, I've heard popcorn's hard on diverticulitis ;-)
> Dee Dee

More like dental crowns! Not ONE but TWO from biting down on unpopped
kernels!!!

I'll starve before I ever eat popcorn again. When I see a bag of popcorn at
the market I want to stab it as payback!

The rest of the world can have popcorn. I have my soft pretzels and yellow
mustard, the better snack, imho.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> More like dental crowns! Not ONE but TWO from biting down on unpopped
> kernels!!!

No offense babe, but that is what you get for "wolfing" food.

SLOW DOWN!!!

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> More like dental crowns! Not ONE but TWO from biting down on unpopped
>> kernels!!!

> No offense babe, but that is what you get for "wolfing" food.
>
> SLOW DOWN!!!
>
> ;-)

I DID!!! They happened 20 years apart!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> More like dental crowns! Not ONE but TWO from biting down on unpopped
> >> kernels!!!

> > No offense babe, but that is what you get for "wolfing" food.
> >
> > SLOW DOWN!!!
> >
> > ;-)

> I DID!!! They happened 20 years apart!
>
> Andy

<lol>

I meant, chew CARFully, slowly and thoroughly. :-)

I've bitten down on unpopped corn kernels in the past, but it's never
been painful!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Arri London said...
>

> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and
> >> green salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They
> >> were RIGHT THERE!!!
> >>
> >> Andy's Dumb Twin

> > LOL! Never mind.
> >
> > You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
> > and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
> > and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
> > They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
> > tastier.

> Arri,
>
> I should. I like the thicker chips. Better for dipping in salsa or guac or
> in a batch of nachos grandé.
>
> Andy

Of course the assumption is that corn tortillas are as cheap in your
locality as they are here in ABQ. Then one could go the next step and
make the tortillas yourself if you can get fresh masa (which is also
cheap here). The dried stuff just doesn't cut it for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> > Arri London said...

> >> LOL! Never mind.
> >>
> >> You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
> >> and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
> >> and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
> >> They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
> >> tastier.

> > Arri,
> >
> > I should. I like the thicker chips. Better for dipping in salsa or guac or
> > in a batch of nachos grandé.
> >
> > Andy

> Hope your teeth are in good shape. ;-)
> Dee Dee

LOL they aren't *that* thick. Some times there are thinner tortillas
available locally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> So there I was at Trader Joe's and I grabbed a jar each of red and green
> >> salsas for chips and dip and get home and forgot the chips. They were
> >> RIGHT
> >> THERE!!!
> >>
> >> Andy's Dumb Twin

> > LOL! Never mind.
> >
> > You can always make your own tortilla chips. Just heat up some veg oil,
> > and slice corn tortillas into wedges. Slip them into the oil, turn them
> > and fry until crisp. Drain and salt to taste.
> > They will be thicker than the store-bought tortilla chips but much
> > tastier.

> Tastier, yes -- but so, so darned hard!
> I've tried baking them, too. just as hard.
>
> Wish I could find some really,really, really thin ones.
> Dee Dee

You may be over-frying them. It doesn't take very long for them to be
done.
Otherwise have a go at making your own if you can get fresh or frozen
masa (readily available around here). The dry/powdered masa will work
but doesn't taste as good. Don't need a tortilla maker (yes we have one
LOL) but can roll them out by hand. Have given up on trying to pat them
out the traditional way!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> > Andy

> Of course the assumption is that corn tortillas are as cheap in your
> locality as they are here in ABQ. Then one could go the next step and
> make the tortillas yourself if you can get fresh masa (which is also
> cheap here). The dried stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

Big ol' tubes of fresh masa are also available cheaply here for making
Tamales.

I'd never thought about making chips out of it!

Hmmmmmm......
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > > Andy

> > Of course the assumption is that corn tortillas are as cheap in your
> > locality as they are here in ABQ. Then one could go the next step and
> > make the tortillas yourself if you can get fresh masa (which is also
> > cheap here). The dried stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

> Big ol' tubes of fresh masa are also available cheaply here for making
> Tamales.
>
> I'd never thought about making chips out of it!
>
> Hmmmmmm......
> --
> Peace, Om

As long as the masa doesn't contain lard/veg fat can be rolled out into
tortillas. Never tried making chips directly from masa though!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > Of course the assumption is that corn tortillas are as cheap in your
> > > locality as they are here in ABQ. Then one could go the next step and
> > > make the tortillas yourself if you can get fresh masa (which is also
> > > cheap here). The dried stuff just doesn't cut it for me.

> > Big ol' tubes of fresh masa are also available cheaply here for making
> > Tamales.
> >
> > I'd never thought about making chips out of it!
> >
> > Hmmmmmm......
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> As long as the masa doesn't contain lard/veg fat can be rolled out into
> tortillas. Never tried making chips directly from masa though!

It's been awhile since I bought it, but iirc it was made with water.
Could not swear to that tho'.

We tried making Tamales once.

Never again. ;-)

I have too many hispanic co-workers that sell them seasonally for $5.00
to $6.00 per dozen and they are really good!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article >, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > Big ol' tubes of fresh masa are also available cheaply here for making
> > > Tamales.
> > >
> > > I'd never thought about making chips out of it!
> > >
> > > Hmmmmmm......
> > > --
> > > Peace, Om

> > As long as the masa doesn't contain lard/veg fat can be rolled out into
> > tortillas. Never tried making chips directly from masa though!

> It's been awhile since I bought it, but iirc it was made with water.
> Could not swear to that tho'.

It probably doesn't contain any fat. The usual stuff around here
doesn't.

> We tried making Tamales once.
>
> Never again. ;-)

It's easy enough. Just labour intensive. I usually wrap them while
watching telly. Otherwise get a group of friends in to help and then
share them out. Used to do that with my Chinese friends to make won ton
or other dumplings.

> I have too many hispanic co-workers that sell them seasonally for $5.00
> to $6.00 per dozen and they are really good!

We get them cheaply around here too. It's just a New Year thing with me.
Tempted try a version with fresh maize/corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:19:32 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>We get them cheaply around here too. It's just a New Year thing with me.
>Tempted try a version with fresh maize/corn.

I absolutely LOVE that one. It's a christmas tamale in my (really,
really) extended family.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article >, Arri London >
>> wrote:

>> > As long as the masa doesn't contain lard/veg fat can be rolled out into
>> > tortillas. Never tried making chips directly from masa though!

>> It's been awhile since I bought it, but iirc it was made with water.
>> Could not swear to that tho'.

> It probably doesn't contain any fat. The usual stuff around here
> doesn't.
>

>> We tried making Tamales once.
>>
>> Never again. ;-)

> It's easy enough. Just labour intensive. I usually wrap them while
> watching telly. Otherwise get a group of friends in to help and then
> share them out. Used to do that with my Chinese friends to make won ton
> or other dumplings.
>>
>> I have too many hispanic co-workers that sell them seasonally for $5.00
>> to $6.00 per dozen and they are really good!

> We get them cheaply around here too. It's just a New Year thing with me.
> Tempted try a version with fresh maize/corn.

This version was on Julia Child at my local station today. Here it is
online.
http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/martinez.html#
Click on the "tamales" if you are interested. Zarela Martinez.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:19:32 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >We get them cheaply around here too. It's just a New Year thing with me.
> >Tempted try a version with fresh maize/corn.

> I absolutely LOVE that one. It's a christmas tamale in my (really,
> really) extended family.
> --

Mmmm! Now even more interested! Got a recipe you could share please
please?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Omelet wrote:

> >> It's been awhile since I bought it, but iirc it was made with water.
> >> Could not swear to that tho'.

> > It probably doesn't contain any fat. The usual stuff around here
> > doesn't.
> >

> >> We tried making Tamales once.
> >>
> >> Never again. ;-)

> > It's easy enough. Just labour intensive. I usually wrap them while
> > watching telly. Otherwise get a group of friends in to help and then
> > share them out. Used to do that with my Chinese friends to make won ton
> > or other dumplings.
> >>
> >> I have too many hispanic co-workers that sell them seasonally for $5.00
> >> to $6.00 per dozen and they are really good!

> > We get them cheaply around here too. It's just a New Year thing with me.
> > Tempted try a version with fresh maize/corn.

> This version was on Julia Child at my local station today. Here it is
> online.
> http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/martinez.html#
> Click on the "tamales" if you are interested. Zarela Martinez.
> Dee Dee

Thanks! Will do. The series is on now locally as well but haven't been
watching lately.

Faux chicken pot pie? KenK General Cooking 87 19-12-2014 05:29 PM
Faux Oz VP Martin Field Wine 0 05-06-2008 04:35 AM
Faux Suede gmcerveny Vegan 1 27-09-2007 10:55 PM
Faux French Bill Spohn Wine 6 01-06-2004 12:27 AM
Faux Wine Bob Gillespie Winemaking 2 04-04-2004 11:51 PM