Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How does this sound?

When I make lasagna sauce again I'm going to start it off like this (I
got this idea from a web site):

Use 2 tbs olive oil and 4 cloves garlic in a pan and let the garlic soak
for a while. Then turn on the heat and just when the garlic starts to
sizzle add 1/2 cup vidalia onion, 1 tsp oregano and a little basil and
mix around on med heat for about 5 min. Then add 1lb pork and 1lb beef
and brown...

-ss
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> When I make lasagna sauce again I'm going to start it off like this (I got
> this idea from a web site):
>
> Use 2 tbs olive oil and 4 cloves garlic in a pan and let the garlic soak
> for a while. Then turn on the heat and just when the garlic starts to
> sizzle add 1/2 cup vidalia onion, 1 tsp oregano and a little basil and mix
> around on med heat for about 5 min. Then add 1lb pork and 1lb beef and
> brown...
>
> -ss

Why do you want to cook oregano before the meat? And over cook garlic and
possibly make it bitter? While it sounds like you want to infuse the
flavors, I think you will end up with the opposite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> When I make lasagna sauce again I'm going to start it off like this (I
> got this idea from a web site):
>
> Use 2 tbs olive oil and 4 cloves garlic in a pan and let the garlic soak
> for a while. Then turn on the heat and just when the garlic starts to
> sizzle add 1/2 cup vidalia onion, 1 tsp oregano and a little basil and
> mix around on med heat for about 5 min. Then add 1lb pork and 1lb beef
> and brown...
>
> -ss

I doubt frying dried oregano and basil first improves the flavor?
Vidalia onions are sweeter, so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them
for lasagna when a simple yellow or white onion would work just as well
or better. I'd also start by browning the meat (sausage?) first and
using the fat it renders out to saute the onions in. After the meat was
browned is when I'd add minced garlic, etc..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..

> I doubt frying dried oregano and basil first improves the flavor? Vidalia
> onions are sweeter, so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them for lasagna
> when a simple yellow or white onion would work just as well or better. I'd
> also start by browning the meat (sausage?) first and using the fat it
> renders out to saute the onions in. After the meat was browned is when I'd
> add minced garlic, etc..

I had an Italian roommate who always fried her dried spices in oil.

Come to think of it, whenever she invited her boyfriend over for dinner,
he'd ask who was cooking. He'd only come if I was cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Brown the meat first until mostly done then drain. Then add the
> other ingredients and brown a little more. Otherwise you're just
> draining the flavor along with the fat from the hamburger. I
> suppose you could start with really lean hamburger, but there
> will still be quite a bit a liquid produced, and you do want some
> fat for flavor.
>
> And there's no reason to soak garlic in cold oil.
>
> -sw

That does give me something to think about. I buy lean meat anyways
(80/20) and I'm going to add more oregano and basil later when I start
adding the paste/water. But it was mention earlier that I could overcook
the garlic which is a concern. Last night I did notice that they came
out with chopped garlic in olive oil:
http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=12311
So maybe there is a benefit in soaking garlic in olive oil. Or could be
just marketing hype.

-ss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I doubt frying dried oregano and basil first improves the flavor?
> Vidalia onions are sweeter, so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy
> them for lasagna when a simple yellow or white onion would work
> just as well or better. I'd also start by browning the meat
> (sausage?) first and using the fat it renders out to saute the
> onions in. After the meat was browned is when I'd add minced
> garlic, etc..

I like to heat diced onion on medium in a little olive oil until the
onions start to turn translucent, then add the garlic for 2 minutes
before adding ground beef. I mix in a little pork sausage sans
casings, too. Then comes the oregano, salt and pepper.

BTW, I know lots of folks who insist that if there will be tomatoes
involved they have to be fresh. In my admittedly limited experience,
canned tomato works better for pasta dishes. I don't know why either
and it's entirely possible that more experienced cooks disagree.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
941-925-8650
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> So maybe there is a benefit in soaking garlic in olive oil.
> Or could be just marketing hype.

AFAIK, the only benefit is it lasts longer in the fridge. The
disadvantage is it's not as tasty. Since cooking is all about
taste I crush fresh garlic when I need it. About the only
exception is when I'm in a big hurry and find I've run out.
Then (forgive me) out comes the dried garlic powder.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

=============================>
Bass Home Electronics
941-925-8650
4883 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota · Florida · 34233
http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=============================>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 5:04?pm, Scott > wrote:
> When I make lasagna sauce again I'm going to start it off like this (I
> got this idea from a web site):
>
> Use 2 tbs olive oil and 4 cloves garlic in a pan and let the garlic soak
> for a while. Then turn on the heat and just when the garlic starts to
> sizzle add 1/2 cup vidalia onion, 1 tsp oregano and a little basil and
> mix around on med heat for about 5 min. Then add 1lb pork and 1lb beef
> and brown...
>
> -ss

You're making sauce... so what's this shit?!?!? duh

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Robert L Bass wrote:

> BTW, I know lots of folks who insist that if there will be tomatoes
> involved they have to be fresh. In my admittedly limited experience,
> canned tomato works better for pasta dishes. I don't know why either
> and it's entirely possible that more experienced cooks disagree.

Agree entirely. The only time I use fresh tomatoes for
sauce is when they're at the peak of their season. For the
rest of the year, canned is always better.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:23:23 GMT, Reg > wrote:

> For the
>rest of the year, canned is always better.

Was there another "choice" 'for the rest of the year'?