Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Possible *good* use for Walmart meat?

I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be a
*good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
when it's cooked.

I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
"enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
recipe?

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...
>
> The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
> the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be a
> *good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
> actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
> when it's cooked.
>
> I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
> pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
> "enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
> recipe?
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Why bother? Why not just buy actual fresh meat from a reputable supplier
and add what you want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...
>>
>> The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
>> the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be
>> a *good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
>> actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
>> when it's cooked.
>>
>> I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
>> pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
>> "enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
>> recipe?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> Why bother? Why not just buy actual fresh meat from a reputable supplier
> and add what you want?

I was pleasantly surprised & pleased when m'butcher immediately grabbed
some beef and ground it for me after i had asked him for 2 lbws of
ground beef, of which he was out, but he just took a big piece of beef
out of his display case and ground it up for me. $1.29 per pound.

He is Chinese i believe, it is an Chinese store and i notice that most
of the pork his other chinese clients purchase from him in large pieces
he then grinds for them.

I get a nice piece of beef shoulder from him for about 2 dollars a pound

Very pleasant small grocery store, lots of fruits and veggies and a
small butchers aisle, i do most of my shopping there, only going to a
couple of other stores for the wide selections of condiments.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:50:07 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 3:17 pm, George > wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
> > I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

> > The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
> > the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be a
> > *good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
> > actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
> > when it's cooked.

> > I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
> > pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
> > "enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
> > recipe?

> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> Why bother? Why not just buy actual fresh meat from a reputable supplier
> and add what you want?

Plus if he plays his cards right, he might even end up supporting a
local business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>
> Carol

You really paid about $2.15 a pound after you take out the stuff they
injected into it. Why not get a nice unadulterated picnic for about $1.99?

Your money, your choice, but I'm not going to pay $1.87 a pound ($15.00 a
gallon) for salt water.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> On Aug 13, 3:17 pm, George > wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:
>>> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...
>>> The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
>>> the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be a
>>> *good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
>>> actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
>>> when it's cooked.
>>> I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
>>> pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
>>> "enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
>>> recipe?
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bob

>> Why bother? Why not just buy actual fresh meat from a reputable supplier
>> and add what you want?

> Plus if he plays his cards right, he might even end up supporting a
> local business.

Didn't anyone see where I said "Cub Foods"? I'm just saying that the
adulterated meat (and it's getting hard to find anything but, no matter
where you shop) might be *good* for making sausage.

Everybody is so preachy here lately.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:36:38 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote:
>
>> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
>> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
>> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
>> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
>> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
>> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>>
>> Carol

>You really paid about $2.15 a pound after you take out the stuff they
>injected into it. Why not get a nice unadulterated picnic for about $1.99?

I would if I could. There are no good prices for meat in this town.
Anywhere. Ever. At Thanksgiving, the cheapest turkeys are .88 per
pound. Corned beef goes down a little in March, but NOTHING like what
I read about here. The joys of living in Smalltown, USA.

Carol (the enchiladas were good)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:31:00 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>I would if I could. There are no good prices for meat in this town.
>Anywhere. Ever. At Thanksgiving, the cheapest turkeys are .88 per
>pound. Corned beef goes down a little in March, but NOTHING like what
>I read about here. The joys of living in Smalltown, USA.

AFIC 88˘ a pound is a good price for turkey. If you buy enough
groceries, you can find a buy one get one free offer.... but that's
not year 'round.

--

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 2:13 am, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:31:00 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>
> > wrote:
> >I would if I could. There are no good prices for meat in this town.
> >Anywhere. Ever. At Thanksgiving, the cheapest turkeys are .88 per
> >pound. Corned beef goes down a little in March, but NOTHING like what
> >I read about here. The joys of living in Smalltown, USA.

> AFIC 88˘ a pound is a good price for turkey.

It's that pre-brined frozen turkey, no doubt.

> If you buy enough
> groceries, you can find a buy one get one free offer.... but that's
> not year 'round.

Maybe not where she lives. Wal-Mart might have driven the competition
out of business.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Christopher Helms wrote:

> >> Why bother? Why not just buy actual fresh meat from a reputable supplier
> >> and add what you want?

> > Plus if he plays his cards right, he might even end up supporting a
> > local business.
> >

> Didn't anyone see where I said "Cub Foods"? I'm just saying that the
> adulterated meat (and it's getting hard to find anything but, no matter
> where you shop) might be *good* for making sausage.
>
> Everybody is so preachy here lately.
>
> Bob

LOL. You asked for it! '-)
Any way you could adjust by percentage? I think the pigmeat labels say
what the percentage of <cough> flavor solution is.
*I'm* not preaching!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:50:07 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>
> Carol

All right, you've almost got me convinced to ruin yet another piece of
meat in the crockpot -- I've got a lousy track record with the damned
things. Did you put *anything* else in the pot with the meat?
Seasonings? Water? Beer?

Inquiring Mind, ever the optimist, Wants to Know.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:50:07 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

>> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
>> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
>> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
>> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
>> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
>> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>>
>> Carol

> All right, you've almost got me convinced to ruin yet another piece of
> meat in the crockpot -- I've got a lousy track record with the damned
> things. Did you put *anything* else in the pot with the meat?
> Seasonings? Water? Beer?
>
> Inquiring Mind, ever the optimist, Wants to Know.

Try a can of Las Palmas enchilada sauce. The green tastes better IMHO,
but red will look better.

(I'd use the Bigass covered roaster rather than a crockpot to cook the
meat; maybe transfer the shredded pork and the sauce to the crockpot and
let them doit for while before serving)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:50:07 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>
> Carol

I favor pork over beef mainly because I like the taste. I buy it at our
local big Mom & Pop Italian market. They have an actual meat department
and since Italians are big on pork they always have a great selection of
fresh product at good prices.

The embalmed Walmart meat is no bargain because you are paying for the
extra weight of the embalming solution.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 14, 7:59 am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:50:07 -0500, zxcvbob >
> > wrote:

> > >I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

> > We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
> > remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
> > for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
> > night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
> > part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
> > cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!

> > Carol

> All right, you've almost got me convinced to ruin yet another piece of
> meat in the crockpot -- I've got a lousy track record with the damned
> things.

The folks who brined the meat have pre-ruined it. The crock pot is a
salvage device.

> Did you put *anything* else in the pot with the meat?
> Seasonings? Water? Beer?

The beer goes in the cook, not the crock pot.

> Inquiring Mind, ever the optimist, Wants to Know.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com- story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>
> Carol

But you're obviously aware and have no problems understanding that you
also paid $1.87/pound for salt water too. If I wanted salt water I could
make it for a LOT less money, eh? Some folks just have no clue what
they're buying because they're kinda... ignorant?

It is getting a lot harder to find unadulterated meat these days.. <sigh>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

I realize it is fun to beat up on Wal-Mart, but as you said "Devil's
Advocate, and all that..."

Do you really think Wal-Mart has its own meat packing house? There are only
5-7 companies that own all the houses in the US, maybe less now days.

So I'm betting Tyson is Walmart's Vendor. Tyson sells 1 out of every 4 lbs
of meats in American today and are attempting to " vertical "Beef production
the way it does it's chicken. One truck load for all meats direct from the
Vendor it what Megastores like to see.

But back to your post on Sodium enhancements . You are hard pressed to find
a main stream Chain store than does not have a boat load of "enhanced
meats" in it. It is pretty much all case ready now days with home
replacement meal packages taking up a good chunk of space. I bet most here
have not recently had a ham or turkey that was not "enhanced" in some way,
especially if it was a Butterball. As much as I dislike paying extra for
something I can do, it is a convenience in time and effort that Americans
have shown they are willing to pay for, not to mention more flavorful for
those with limited cooking skills. I brine most pork and chicken these
days not only to add my flavor touch but for the simple fact it is way too
lean and not very favorable.

As to Sodium's Health issues ? I understand that salt is the next target
after Trans-fats for the health folks. I do understand reducing it in
packaged and canned food, but I cannot imagine cooking, curing or preparing
Meats without it and do not want to find out what patented process the
smart-guy scientists would come up with to sell us on replacing it.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/enhancedmeat.html

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...ucts/index.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Drunk Pinto Beans was: Possible *good* use for Walmart meat?

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:59:35 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
>> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
>> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
>> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
>> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
>> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!

>All right, you've almost got me convinced to ruin yet another piece of
>meat in the crockpot -- I've got a lousy track record with the damned
>things. Did you put *anything* else in the pot with the meat?
>Seasonings? Water? Beer?
>
>Inquiring Mind, ever the optimist, Wants to Know.

I didn't add any seasonings because we're using the meat for a couple
different things. I'll bet beer would be excellent, though. I didn't
add any liquid (as I would have with 100% meat) because the crockpot
collects the "juices" as they're released, so there's no problem with
the meat drying out.

The crockpot is perfect if you want to shred the meat for some
purpose. Just turn it on low and let the stuff cook overnight.

Here's a recipe to go with your beered-up shredded pork (don't tell
anyone here that I said this, but a couple drops of liquid smoke
stirred into the meat liquid, then mixed with the shredded meat might
not be all bad) You could skip the ham hocks, I'd imagine. I put the
meat in them because I like it, not because it's traditional.

(My Chicago Beef sammiches turned out okay for ya, didn't they?)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Drunk Pinto Beans (Frijoles Borracho)

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beans/Legumes Side Dishes

--- Soak ---
1 pound dried pinto beans -- (450 grams)
4 cups water -- for soaking
--- Beans ---
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
2 medium yellow onions -- chopped
4 cloves garlic -- minced
2 smoked ham hocks -- or 1/2 pound diced ham
12 ounces beer -- up to 16 ounces, plus...
water -- to total 8 cups liquid
--- Seasonings ---
granulated onion
granulated garlic
salt
coarsely ground pepper
--- Optional Toppings ---
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped yellow onions
salsa
chopped cilantro -- (coriander leaves)

Pick over beans, removing small stones and clods of dirt. Soak beans
in 4 cups of water overnight, or for 6-8 hours. Drain and rinse
soaked beans.

Sauté chopped onions in hot bacon drippings until onions are
translucent; add minced garlic and heat briefly. Add ham hocks,
onions, garlic, beer and water to beans. Heat to boiling, then reduce
heat. Boil gently, with lid ajar, for 60-90 minutes, until soft but
not mushy. Add liquid as needed. Remove ham hocks, separate and chop
meat, and add back to the pot. Season to taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Best if eaten one or more days after cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:49:02 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> We just got a hunk of pork from WalMart for $1.87/pound. I don't
>> remember the cut, but it was held together with one of those hairnets
>> for meat. Took off the hairnet and tossed it in the crockpot over
>> night. It's shredding beautifully, and in a couple hours, will be
>> part of some very tasty enchiladas. Lots cheaper than the cheapest
>> cut of beef would have been, and pork has such better flavor!
>>
>> Carol

> But you're obviously aware and have no problems understanding that you
>also paid $1.87/pound for salt water too. If I wanted salt water I could
>make it for a LOT less money, eh? Some folks just have no clue what
>they're buying because they're kinda... ignorant?
>
>It is getting a lot harder to find unadulterated meat these days.. <sigh>

I knew exactly what I was buying. The issue is limited financial
resources, not intelligence resources.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>> But you're obviously aware and have no problems understanding that you
>> also paid $1.87/pound for salt water too. If I wanted salt water I could
>> make it for a LOT less money, eh? Some folks just have no clue what
>> they're buying because they're kinda... ignorant?
>>
>> It is getting a lot harder to find unadulterated meat these days.. <sigh>

> I knew exactly what I was buying. The issue is limited financial
> resources, not intelligence resources.
>
> Carol

That's what I said. You are aware.
Sadly, not everyone is? When it comes to Walmart, many see only their
immediate pocketbooks yet don't consider the bigger picture or
ramifications.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 04:18:30 -0700, The Truthful Assh0le
> wrote:

>On Aug 14, 2:13 am, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 01:31:00 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I would if I could. There are no good prices for meat in this town.
>> >Anywhere. Ever. At Thanksgiving, the cheapest turkeys are .88 per
>> >pound. Corned beef goes down a little in March, but NOTHING like what
>> >I read about here. The joys of living in Smalltown, USA.

>> AFIC 88˘ a pound is a good price for turkey.

>It's that pre-brined frozen turkey, no doubt.

Yep. That's all that's available in the stores around here. Although
one of our roommates was able to find a monster, unadulterated turkey
last year for (I think) $1.39 per pound - I think from a farmer? We're
hoping to get one there again this Thanksgiving.

>> If you buy enough
>> groceries, you can find a buy one get one free offer.... but that's
>> not year 'round.

>Maybe not where she lives. Wal-Mart might have driven the competition
>out of business.

We do have two other supermarkets. But none of the three offer great
deals on meat. And the meat braises itself when you try to fry it, no
matter where it's purchased.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message

> We do have two other supermarkets. But none of the three offer great
> deals on meat. And the meat braises itself when you try to fry it, no
> matter where it's purchased.
>
> Carol

How about Wintergeens Natural Foods over on Main St? I image they'd be on
the pricey side though, just because it is "natural".

Well, the Hy Vee store on Bridge Av. carries Blue Ribbon meats but they have
both the injected as well as the regular grades so you'd have to use care
there too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 03:21:33 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>>
>> We do have two other supermarkets. But none of the three offer great
>> deals on meat. And the meat braises itself when you try to fry it, no
>> matter where it's purchased.
>>
>> Carol

>How about Wintergeens Natural Foods over on Main St? I image they'd be on
>the pricey side though, just because it is "natural".

I've never gone there, but I've been curious. They sell meat, too,
huh?

>Well, the Hy Vee store on Bridge Av. carries Blue Ribbon meats but they have
>both the injected as well as the regular grades so you'd have to use care
>there too.

Yeah, Hy-Vee has the best quality meat we've found, and we usually buy
our meats there, but we're on a very tight budget right now, so
WalMart it is for a little while.

So we should just watch for a Blue Ribbon label? Like you say, we've
had boiled steaks from there as well as from WalMart and Nelson's.

You have a good memory!

Carol in Mayberry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue,alt.religion.kibology

On Aug 14, 8:19 pm, Dan <intrceptor@gmaildotcom> wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
> > I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...

> It's probably as good as what we get here in prison.

I smoked a walmart pork shoulder roast on my R2D2 and it came out
great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 12:50 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I'm just thinking here... Devil's Advocate, and all that...
>
> The embalming fluid they add to the meat is mostly sodium phosphates;
> the phosphate make the meat retain the water. Would this actually be a
> *good* thing for making sausage? Some commercial sausage recipes
> actually have phosphate additives to keep the sausage from drying out
> when it's cooked.
>
> I might try it next time Cub Foods (which sells Walmartized pork) has
> pork butts or picnics on sale. I wonder if the sodium content of the
> "enhanced" solution is enough that I'd have to adjust the salt in the
> recipe?

I'VE GOT IT! We could force feed the Wal-Mart pork to the turrurists!

> Best regards,
> Bob

--Bryan