Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Heaven

We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
extraordinary eating.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking
hc hc is offline

On Aug 13, 9:07 am, Peter A > wrote:
> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Add some sliced tomatoes, red onion, and balsamic and you got a $8.99
appetizer. =) Oh how I love the Tower of Pizza! They get my money
on a weekly basis.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 11:07 am, Peter A > wrote:
> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.

Well put.

> --
> Peter Aitken

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A said...

> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.

Sounds great.

Many times I'm mystified by recipes that call for "dozens" of herbs and
spices.

Bobby Flay built a chicken salad and he used so many spices and herbs and
crud at the end I wanted to yell "STOP" at the TV.

I'd like to see Reality Food-TV and watch the staff have to eat the dishes
on camera and watch their faces.

I remember the galloping gourmet would drag someone to his dinner table at
the end of the program to try the food. Many times the expression on the
poor audience member was pretty sour and they couldn't even force a smile!

I saved your "Heaven" for later. I like everything you used but don't know
about the tomatoes or availability.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.

Mmmmm ;-d

Insalata Caprisse!

I've got to get some local 'maters from the farmers market so I can try
that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.

Reminds me of the time i was reading the novel "Hadrian VII" by Baron
Corvo, the story was only so - so but one of the main characters, a
Cardinal of the Roman church, would regularly eat a meal of fresh bread
& fruit, cheese and wine.

I went out and got a good bottle of a nice white wine, bought some
bakery fresh bread and some fruits and cheese, and the combo of flavours
was ambrosial, stunning in the taste and the simplicity of producing them.

Alas ... those were the days when i lived in an area where really ripe
fruit were readily available. So often these days, in large urban
areas, fruit is sold under ripe, and has to be kept for a day or 2 to
hopefully improve.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Reminds me of the time i was reading the novel "Hadrian VII" by Baron
> Corvo, the story was only so - so but one of the main characters, a
> Cardinal of the Roman church, would regularly eat a meal of fresh bread &
> fruit, cheese and wine.
>
> I went out and got a good bottle of a nice white wine, bought some bakery
> fresh bread and some fruits and cheese, and the combo of flavours was
> ambrosial, stunning in the taste and the simplicity of producing them.
>
> Alas ... those were the days when i lived in an area where really ripe
> fruit were readily available. So often these days, in large urban areas,
> fruit is sold under ripe, and has to be kept for a day or 2 to hopefully
> improve.
> --
> JL

What's worse, is that fruit that used to be sold under-ripe could be set on
the counter and within a few days, it was ripe enough. A good example was
peaches. The last I bought did not ripen, but only rotted. This is
happening more and more.

I've been buying organic bananas from a market which has a Dole label at 79
cents a pound instead of 59 or 69 a pound. They were good and would get
those nice little brown speckles when they ripened, and taste sweet. Now
the last 3 packages I've bought are crap, will not ripen; just sit there and
deteriorate.

What I did notice a week ago last Saturday when I went to the local outdoors
farmers' market, the large green tomato that I bought (because I didn't get
around to fixing it), ripened to a beautiful red tomato within 4 days. It
tasted great, too.
I'm not confounded, just ****ed!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:07:34 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
>some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
>Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
>hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
>of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
>extraordinary eating.

Where is the Italian deli? I may see if I can get to it the next time
we are in the area.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee wrote on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:54:30 -0400:

??>> Alas ... those were the days when i lived in an area
where
??>> really ripe fruit were readily available. So often these
??>> days, in large urban areas, fruit is sold under ripe, and
??>> has to be kept for a day or 2 to hopefully improve. -- JL

DD> What's worse, is that fruit that used to be sold under-ripe
DD> could be set on the counter and within a few days, it was
DD> ripe enough. A good example was peaches. The last I bought
DD> did not ripen, but only rotted. This is happening more and
DD> more.

DD> I've been buying organic bananas from a market which has a
DD> Dole label at 79 cents a pound instead of 59 or 69 a pound.
DD> They were good and would get those nice little brown
DD> speckles when they ripened, and taste sweet. Now the last
DD> 3 packages I've bought are crap, will not ripen; just sit
DD> there and deteriorate.

I wonder if you could sue for false advertising when a grocery
store has a big sign saying "Fresh, Sweet Peaches" and the fruit
is as hard as a rock and has no discernible aroma?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote

> What's worse, is that fruit that used to be sold under-ripe could be set
> on the counter and within a few days, it was ripe enough. A good example
> was peaches. The last I bought did not ripen, but only rotted. This is
> happening more and more.

It's true! I stopped buying nectarines for that very reason (let's not
even talk about avocadoes) ... I'd buy them rock hard, let them sit,
then one day they would be rotten. No in between.

Lately Acme has had a selection of ripe nectarines and they really
are! I've been buying them all summer. Buy them ripe and make sure
to eat them within a day or two. The hard ones for sale have been
cheaper, I know not to bother.

One day last week I stopped at the ripe nectarines, they were hard.
I don't manhandle them, just picking them up you can tell. As I walked
away I heard the produce guy telling some young woman, That lady
didn't buy any nectarines, these are not ripe yet! Woah, leave me out
of it. I guess she won't make that mistake again.

> What I did notice a week ago last Saturday when I went to the local
> outdoors farmers' market, the large green tomato that I bought (because I
> didn't get around to fixing it), ripened to a beautiful red tomato within
> 4 days. It tasted great, too.

Nice! I bought a little bucket of mismatched tomatoes for $1 at a
farmer's market yesterday. Mismatched, they were 4 large ripe to
almost overripe tomatoes. One I had with dinner tonight, cooked it
on the grill with some parmagiana and basil on it. It was good, but not
cooked as well as I would like.

Steak, fresh corn, grilled tomato ... does summer dinner get much
better than that?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> One I had with dinner tonight, cooked it
> on the grill with some parmagiana and basil on it. It was good, but

not
> cooked as well as I would like.
>
> Steak, fresh corn, grilled tomato ... does summer dinner get much
> better than that?
>
> nancy

For supper for me will be chicken drumsticks rubbed in a cocoa powder hot
spice rub (not that hot) and smoked in the smoker using hickory chips.
(More like buffalo legs than buffalo wings) ...It's a little after 5
now...should be great eating around 7 or 7:30 pm...side will be green
beans sauteed in a little bacon greese. Soon my crab apple wood will be
hear and that'll be that for buying wood chips.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
>
>>Reminds me of the time i was reading the novel "Hadrian VII" by Baron
>>Corvo, the story was only so - so but one of the main characters, a
>>Cardinal of the Roman church, would regularly eat a meal of fresh bread &
>>fruit, cheese and wine.
>>
>>I went out and got a good bottle of a nice white wine, bought some bakery
>>fresh bread and some fruits and cheese, and the combo of flavours was
>>ambrosial, stunning in the taste and the simplicity of producing them.
>>
>>Alas ... those were the days when i lived in an area where really ripe
>>fruit were readily available. So often these days, in large urban areas,
>>fruit is sold under ripe, and has to be kept for a day or 2 to hopefully
>>improve.
>>--
>>JL

> What's worse, is that fruit that used to be sold under-ripe could be set on
> the counter and within a few days, it was ripe enough. A good example was
> peaches. The last I bought did not ripen, but only rotted. This is
> happening more and more.
>
> I've been buying organic bananas from a market which has a Dole label at 79
> cents a pound instead of 59 or 69 a pound. They were good and would get
> those nice little brown speckles when they ripened, and taste sweet. Now
> the last 3 packages I've bought are crap, will not ripen; just sit there and
> deteriorate.
>
> What I did notice a week ago last Saturday when I went to the local outdoors
> farmers' market, the large green tomato that I bought (because I didn't get
> around to fixing it), ripened to a beautiful red tomato within 4 days. It
> tasted great, too.
> I'm not confounded, just ****ed!
> Dee Dee

Ever hear the name "Malthus" as in "Malthusian"? or seen the movie
"Solyent Green"?

"The Sheep Look Up" is another novel about tainted food produced by a
central supplier to feed billions of people.

Its more profitable to centralize food production and distribution but
history teaches us the same lesson again and again, when its done it
invariably leads to massive corruption of the system.

We are already too dependent on certain specific strains of wheat and
potatoes and other single variety plants and animals that it almost
insures something will go wrong, no matter how big and strong the system
may look it has a fatal flaw that makes it self defeating, even with the
best of people running such a system for the best of reasons it will
suffer accidents, and effect very large numbers of people.

Where as locally produced & consumed foods affect only the local population.

I was walking through a rather posh, upscale supermarket the other day
and the overabundance, the flagrant flaunting of a really false over
abundance was almost sickening.

So many of the products were just variations on a theme, and many of
them just pure flavour with no attempt at nutrition. My own experience
has taught me that very expensive products in very elaborate packaging
with a pronounced provenance are often disappointing. If i can find a
generic version of a product i will purchase it in preference to a name
brand as i think the generics usually have a better flavour, and the
national brands are often times more bland.

Though my Mexican coffee is picked in Asia, packaged in Canada and sold
in America as "Cafe Molido" red foil packet, 3.19 per pound.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> DD> I've been buying organic bananas from a market which has a
> DD> Dole label at 79 cents a pound instead of 59 or 69 a pound.
> DD> They were good and would get those nice little brown
> DD> speckles when they ripened, and taste sweet. Now the last
> DD> 3 packages I've bought are crap, will not ripen; just sit
> DD> there and deteriorate.
>
> I wonder if you could sue for false advertising when a grocery store has a
> big sign saying "Fresh, Sweet Peaches" and the fruit is as hard as a rock
> and has no discernible aroma?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

I guess someone would/could. I'm trying to spend the rest of my life
staying away from courtrooms. It would take a great deal to bring me near
one - and I'm not talking about money; perhaps:
"Revenge is a meal best served cold."

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> We got some handmade mozzarella at the local Italian deli, then we got
> some German Johnson tomatoes and fresh basil at the farmer's market.
> Sliced them, salt and pepper, good Italian olive oil, let sit for an
> hour at room temperature. Pure ambrosia, and a wonderful demonstration
> of how simple ingredients, if they are the highest quality, can create
> extraordinary eating.

This sounds like Heaven to me. Basil is so easy to grow, I also grow a
sweet, Thai basil to use in Pho.

Becca

Heaven Serene Vannoy Preserving 2 19-08-2009 04:59 PM
I am in heaven!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 5 13-06-2008 02:53 AM
Do You Know What God Did For You So You Could Go To Heaven? [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-03-2005 09:52 PM