Ariane Jenkins

Default REC: Onion Rolls

I copied this recipe off King Arthur Flour's website a while back and
just around to trying it tonight. They were great... I didn't let
them rise for the full three hours, I admit, maybe 2 hours. The rolls
were light and fluffy, and the filling was delicious. I caramelized
the onions until golden brown and seasoned them with some salt and
pepper. I also added some grated charp cheddar to the filling--a
really wonderful combo. A pinch or two of rhyme and some garlic
sauteed with the onion might work well, too. This recipe's a keeper!

Ariane

Onion Rolls

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibi...08882116744085

2 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
4 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
2-2 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbsp. butter/margarine
2 cups chopped onions
melted butter
poppy seeds (optional)

In a large bowl, mix together the yeast, lukewarm water, sugar and 1
cup flour. Let sit till bubbly, about 1/2 hour.

Add milk, egg, oil, salt and remaining flour. Mix well to form a soft
dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth
and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning
to coat all sides, and let rise till very light, up to 3 hours.

While dough is rising, prepare onions. Melt butter in a large frying
pan and add onions. Sauté over low-to-medium heat until onions are soft
and barely golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured work surface. Divide
into eight pieces. Flatten each piece into a rough rectangle approximately
4-inch wide by 7-inch long. Spoon 1/8 of the onion mixture in a strip
down the center of each dough rectangle. Fold both sides of dough
over onions and pinch together to seal, making eight rolls which
are each approximately 4-inch high by 2 1/2-inch wide.

Place rolls on lightly greased (or parchment-lined) baking sheet. Set
in a warm place to rise until puffy, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 500°F. Gently brush rolls with a little melted butter,
then sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.

Bake rolls for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and
cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a plastic bag. These rolls are
actually better, in taste and texture, if allowed to "ripen"
overnight.

*Traditional onion rolls have a bit of chopped onion sprinkled on
top. I don't do this as it's hard to prevent the onion from burning, and
burned onion imparts a very bitter taste to the rolls.

This recipe reprinted from King Arthur Flour's Baking Sheet, Vol. III,
No. 4, March-April 1992.
Rick & Cyndi

Default Onion Rolls

"Ariane Jenkins" > wrote in message
:
:
[...]
=======

What perfect timing Ariane!! I was just thinking this week that
I need to dig through some books and make some onion
bread/rolls!! Woo-Hoo! Thank you so much for posting these.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Onion rings and an onion heart Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 55 01-05-2012 09:58 AM
Green Onion Ham Rolls jimmy b Recipes (moderated) 0 13-11-2007 03:00 AM
Onion Rolls or Breadsticks Tim Recipes 0 07-06-2005 11:40 AM
Onion Rolls or Breadsticks Duckie Recipes (moderated) 0 03-05-2004 01:46 PM
Onion Rolls Sue Starfas Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2004 02:48 PM