Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Albuquerque Cook-In Question

What's the latest agenda/itinerary? I'm going to be driving there
with the Demo Dollies in tow. We plan on doing some non-cook-in
related sightseeing while we are in the area and I want to maximize
that time for us.

TammyM, yes I'm fully recuperated, Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 18:40:33 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>What's the latest agenda/itinerary? I'm going to be driving there
>with the Demo Dollies in tow. We plan on doing some non-cook-in
>related sightseeing while we are in the area and I want to maximize
>that time for us.
>
>TammyM, yes I'm fully recuperated, Christine

The latest itinerary is very loose. There is a bit of it on the
website/mailing list which I don't think you have been reading.

Anyway, I think it is rather loose.

I think the general plan (for now anyways) is to meet at my house on
Friday sometime and then head out to dinner for some good New Mexican
food. Still trying to decide the most promising candidate for you
out-of-towners, depending on whether you want alcohol or not with your
dinner.

Saturday is a very open day. I will probably go to various farmers
markets myself, and maybe take anyone interested up to Santa Fe to hit
up the Spanish table and the Santa Fe farmers market. And maybe look
around Santa Fe for a bit and be a tourist if anyone joins me.

And for anyone that wants to eat in that night, notbob and I came up
with an idea. We thought it might be fun to cook with chiles that
night, Hatch chiles to be exact. And maybe put my new smoker through
it's paces...depending on time, that is. That might be a good night
to experiment with some drinks too. All of this is very loose too. I
will eat in myself, and Koko seemed to like this idea as well.

Sunday is main cook-in day. 'nuff said.

I was also thinking of offering a southern breakfast for anyone that
wants it, one of those days. And seeing if anyone wants to go to the
Frontier for breakfast. It is an Albuquerque institution, and the
green chile is good. So are the cinnamon buns. Maybe for cook-in
day?

Monday is Labor Day. That is totally up in the air. There is a wine
festival going on in town. Those of you that can straggle in, maybe
that would be a good day for a southern breakfast, if you would like
to join me for one. I will have home cured bacon, biscuits made from
White Lily flour, and various other goodies.

It is still in flux... Lets get the discussion going more on the
mailing list, although I don't mind talking about it here. Maybe more
would be inclined to join us...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:49:32 -0700, koko wrote:

>I think Christine has plans for a Fri night dinner out for those of us
>that show up early. She also mentioned a trip up to Santa Fe, probably
>on Sat. to go to the Spanish table and lunch.

Yeah. At this moment, I am thinking Santa Fe might be fun... They
have a nice farmers market which runs til about noon. The Spanish
Table isn't that far away from it. And Santa Fe has lots and lots of
lovely little places to eat... Plus there are a lot of touristy
things to do.

I have a minivan so I can accommodate a fair amount of folks that want
to drive up with me. It is about an hour away from Albuquerque.

If you like Indian jewelry, bring tons of money.

>Also mentioned was getting together to make a Sat. night dinner with
>dishes centered around chiles.

And bbq. If there is time to use the smoker.

>All sounds like fun to me.
>
>As Charliam always said. "let the games begin" or something like that
>;-)

Ditto!!! I wish Charliam was joining us!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think he said, "The game's afoot." :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:42:20 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, koko wrote:
>> As Charliam always said. "let the games begin" or something like that
>> ;-)
>>
>> koko

>I think he said, "The game's afoot." :-)

I believe you are right. Thanks.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/30

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(TammyM) wrote:
><snippage>
>
>>And for anyone that wants to eat in that night, notbob and I came up

>^^^^^^^
>nb is going to be there?! Geez Louise, I can't get that guy to a
>cook-in at my house which is practically next door to him (in the
>Grand Scheme, that is). So I have to go all the way to Albu?
>
>Sheesh.

Heck I don't even know if he is gonna show up. He keeps on saying he
is gonna be moving to CO, and then be at the cook-in, but I am laying
odds now that he isn't gonna be there...

>This sounds great. I have no idea what-if-anything I'll cook, given
>that we're driving alla way from Sacto but we'll see. Would it be
>sacrilege to use hatch chiles in south/central Asian food? ;-)

Nope. There is a dish I am wanting to make that I saw someone make on
eGullet. It had regular green chiles in it, but I am dying to make it
with Hatch chiles. I got the cookbook that it is in, so I am all set.
>I'm not sure how much of the weekend I'll be present but I'll at

least
>make an appearance. I don't drink anything stronger than O'Doul's
>these days so I'll be coherent in addition to my usual charming and
>witty self :-)))))))

Not even a drop of limoncello?

Christine, who will make sure she has O'Douls in the house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> > Nope. There is a dish I am wanting to make that I saw someone make on

> eGullet. It had regular green chiles in it, but I am dying to make it
> with Hatch chiles. I got the cookbook that it is in, so I am all set.
>>I'm not sure how much of the weekend I'll be present but I'll at

> least
>>make an appearance. I don't drink anything stronger than O'Doul's
>>these days so I'll be coherent in addition to my usual charming and
>>witty self :-)))))))
>>

> Not even a drop of limoncello?
>
> Christine, who will make sure she has O'Douls in the house

Christine - I can hardly wait! I love trying new things and like Asian food
especially. I've been hearing about the limoncello for a long time and look
forward to sipping some.
I visited Hatch one year just after the festival and bought some powdered
green chile that was especially nice. It had a light sweet sort of taste,
but packed a little bite. I've been out of it, but I'm sure I can pick some
up in Alb~~.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> Not even a drop of limoncello?

Saw a vodka recipe called 44 ??? (something french) on food tv Canadian
Version ...into 1 orange (looked like a large navel orange) you make 44
slits just large enough to insert 44 whole roasted coffee beans ...put
the coffee-beaned orange in a mason jar...with a undisclosed amount of
sugar cubes (suspect 44 cubes but that seems excessive) cover with
contents of 1 vodka bottle, put on lid, shake 44 times, store in a cool
dark place and shake it up once daily for 44 days, filter into a clean
sealable serving vessel/vodka bottle. It turns lightly amber and tastes
of orange and coffee.

My version would be into a sealable suitable jar add 1 bottle of vodka
and 1/2 cup sugar...put on lid and shake vigorously till sugar is
dissolved (or use a stick blender). Cut into 2 halves a navel orange and
put both halves in the jar; add 44 dark roasted coffee beans put on the
jar lid and shake it up. Put jar in a cool dark place and shake it up
once daily for 3 months. Taste and add sugar if not sweet enough.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus said...

> Christine Dabney > wrote in
> :
>
>> Not even a drop of limoncello?
>>

> Saw a vodka recipe called 44 ??? (something french) on food tv Canadian
> Version ...into 1 orange (looked like a large navel orange) you make 44
> slits just large enough to insert 44 whole roasted coffee beans ...put
> the coffee-beaned orange in a mason jar...with a undisclosed amount of
> sugar cubes (suspect 44 cubes but that seems excessive) cover with
> contents of 1 vodka bottle, put on lid, shake 44 times, store in a cool
> dark place and shake it up once daily for 44 days, filter into a clean
> sealable serving vessel/vodka bottle. It turns lightly amber and tastes
> of orange and coffee.
>
> My version would be into a sealable suitable jar add 1 bottle of vodka
> and 1/2 cup sugar...put on lid and shake vigorously till sugar is
> dissolved (or use a stick blender). Cut into 2 halves a navel orange and
> put both halves in the jar; add 44 dark roasted coffee beans put on the
> jar lid and shake it up. Put jar in a cool dark place and shake it up
> once daily for 3 months. Taste and add sugar if not sweet enough.

Here's a close cousin recipe to that one...

Tutti Frutti with Rum

To one quart sound ripe strawberries, washed and hulled, add their
weight in sugar and cook slowly just until the sugar dissolves.Pour into a
wide-mouthed earthenware crock and when cool add 1/2 bottle light rum.
Allow this to stand tightly covered in a cool place and stir daily. As the
season progresses, cook one quart hulled raspberries and their weight in
sugar and add them to the jar. Add when possible, quarts of sour cherries,
apricots, halved and pitted, and plums, pared and quartered, all cooked
with equal weights of sugar. When many fruits have been added, pour in
another 1/2 bottle of rum and stir the fruit and juices together. When the
crock is full, tie the cover down and let the tutti frutti rest in a cool
place for several months.

--
Andy
Three Stooges in One