Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sopaipillas in Albuquerque

Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
sopaipillas in Albuquerque

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla

I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.

Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
wrote:

>I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
>discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
>them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
>squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
>When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
>you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
>fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
>Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
>Thanks.
>Dee Dee

Yes, all the time. My permanent home is in Albuquerque, NM. I am
heading that way on Friday, from Richmond, VA.

Speaking of NM, do you know about the first ever NM Cook-in? To be
held on Labor Day weekend....

This is the blurb on the rfc web page. At this point, plans are a lot
looser than what is posted there.... We will probably still go out to
dinner on Friday evening (for those that get there early) and the main
cook-in date is Sunday. Between those two things, there are other
ideas, but nothing is definite yet.
http://www.recfoodcooking.com/events/detail.html

And if you think you might like to attend, join the little mailing
list I set up so that the planning stuff can be taken off rfc...

I am sure there will be plenty of sopapillas whereever we eat on
Friday!! And probably more, if anyone wants to go to the Frontier
Restaurant (a landmark) for breakfast one day..

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 1:11 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
> wrote:
>
> >I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> >discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> >them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> >squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> >When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> >you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> >fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.

They're like a corn flour pita. Indeed, nice with lots of honey.

> >Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> >Thanks.
> >Dee Dee

> Yes, all the time. My permanent home is in Albuquerque, NM. I am
> heading that way on Friday, from Richmond, VA.
>
> Speaking of NM, do you know about the first ever NM Cook-in? To be
> held on Labor Day weekend....
>
> This is the blurb on the rfc web page. At this point, plans are a lot
> looser than what is posted there.... We will probably still go out to
> dinner on Friday evening (for those that get there early) and the main
> cook-in date is Sunday. Between those two things, there are other
> ideas, but nothing is definite yet.http://www.recfoodcooking.com/events/detail.html
>
> And if you think you might like to attend, join the little mailing
> list I set up so that the planning stuff can be taken off rfc...

I adore traditional NM cooking. A woman out there told me how to make
green chile.
Chilies+water+salt+cornstarch (or flour).

> I am sure there will be plenty of sopapillas whereever we eat on
> Friday!! And probably more, if anyone wants to go to the Frontier
> Restaurant (a landmark) for breakfast one day..

Christine, go HE http://999dine.com/
They have deeply discounted restaurant certificates. Two favorites
are up in Santa Fe, La Choza and the Plaza Cafe (the one on Cerillos),
where I had what was a close to perfect a meal as I've ever had.
Usually, they have certificates for the Range Cafe, but they appear to
be sold out of those for all three locations.

> Christine

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 3:11 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
> wrote:
>
> >I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> >discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> >them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> >squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> >When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> >you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> >fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.

> >Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> >Thanks.
> >Dee Dee

> Yes, all the time. My permanent home is in Albuquerque, NM. I am
> heading that way on Friday, from Richmond, VA.
>
> Speaking of NM, do you know about the first ever NM Cook-in? To be
> held on Labor Day weekend....
>
> This is the blurb on the rfc web page. At this point, plans are a lot
> looser than what is posted there.... We will probably still go out to
> dinner on Friday evening (for those that get there early) and the main
> cook-in date is Sunday. Between those two things, there are other
> ideas, but nothing is definite yet.http://www.recfoodcooking.com/events/detail.html
>
> Christine

Thanks for the invitation. NM is tooo ar away for me; almost anywhere
is anymore ;-))

Thanks for sending the link -- I didn't know about these pages. So
appreciated.

And another thanks for the answer about sopaipillas. You're the only
person that ever confirmed there was such a thing.
Happy Trails,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> And another thanks for the answer about sopaipillas. You're the only
> person that ever confirmed there was such a thing.
> Happy Trails,
> Dee Dee

On my first visit to my son when he was living in Los Alamos, NM, he
took me (along with his three-year old son) to visit Rancho de Chimayo
(is that correct?). We ate at a well-known place nearby, on the patio.
I will never forget my grandson eating those sopaipillas, with tons of
yellowjackets deciding they wanted the honey. We had to stop him
putting the gorging wasps into his mouth and he was most indignant about
being kept from the goody.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Dee Dee > wrote:

> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?

I don't know if it's anywhere near the same, but I occasionally make
sopaipilla. After preparing the dough and folding it over itself and
reflattening, I cook it in about a quarter inch of oil and spoon hot oil
over the top surface. It puffs well and isn't deep fried.
It's great hot and only OK after sitting. It tends to lose crispness as
it sits. I got the recipe from "Cuisine of the American Southwest" by
Anne Lindsay Greer. And I still use the book when I'm making it.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Every "real" Mexican restaurant I've ever been in in Texas and Louisiana
makes them that way. Real Mexican restaurants have real Mexicans running
them, doing the cooking, etc. As opposed to fake Mexican restaurants
owned by, run by, and cooked by Anglos.

We have two in the area I currently live in: Guadalajara and Cancun.
Both are owned by Mexican Americans, employee mostly Mexicans, and the
cooks are definitely Mexican. I've been in the kitchens of both places.
The rest have catchy names like "Casa Ole", "Casa Manana," etc and the
only Mexicans in there are the bus boys who have been hired recently.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 3:41 pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
> > Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> > sopaipillas in Albuquerque

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla

> > I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> > discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> > them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> > squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> > When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> > you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> > fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.

> > Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> > Thanks.
> > Dee Dee

> Every "real" Mexican restaurant I've ever been in in Texas and Louisiana
> makes them that way. Real Mexican restaurants have real Mexicans running
> them, doing the cooking, etc. As opposed to fake Mexican restaurants
> owned by, run by, and cooked by Anglos.

Here in StL, even the Mexican-American owned ones are not "real," with
very few exceptions.

> George

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Sure have. The Mexican restaurant we go to once a week makes divine
sopapillas. They're half moons and puffed up nice and big. You can get
them with or without cinnamon sugar. Rip them in half and put lots of honey
inside. Mmmmmm!!

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston. They
usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a Mexican version
of fortune cookies). YUM.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 9:42 pm, "MareCat" > wrote:

> > Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> > Thanks.
> > Dee Dee

> Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston. They
> usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a Mexican version
> of fortune cookies). YUM.
>
> Mary- Hide quoted text -

Well, at least I'm not dreaming.

There is one family owned Mexican restaurant about 50 +/- miles north
of us which I just looked and and saw in Chowhound http://www.chowhound.com/topics/171931

"The restaurant scene here is really depressing sometimes. As are the
grocery stores. Oh, one other place you might want to try is Viva
Mexico in Inwood (West Virginia) Again, not gourmet - but decent food
cheap."

We've eaten here a couple of times and the food seemed 'real' and
everyone there was Mexican. I'd given up on ordering sopaipillas
anywhere, but now I'll see what happens there. But I won't take bets
on it.

I'll give a look-see at "Cuisine of the American Southwest." Looks
like it won an award in 1984.

Thanks everyone.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?

I've had them like that at Casa Bonita in Denver.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:42:37 -0400, "MareCat"
> wrote:

>Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston. They
>usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a Mexican version
>of fortune cookies). YUM.
>
>Mary

In NM, they come with the main body of the meal and aren't necessarily
considered dessert.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
> sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
> I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
> discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
> them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
> squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
> When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
> you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
> fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

The sopaipilla's you describe, sound exactly like the ones I had in
Texas. When I grew up, I made them for my children when they were
little and they loved them. At one time, you could find them in every
Mexican restaurant, well, you can still find them, but they are not the
same. They should be light and very tender, instead they are heavy and
thick. I have a feeling they are making them this way, for convenience.
I wondered if anyone else had noticed, that they are not making
sopaipillas like the used to.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> On Jun 27, 9:42 pm, "MareCat" > wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston.
>> They usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a
>> Mexican version of fortune cookies). YUM.
>>
>> Mary- Hide quoted text -
>>

> I'll give a look-see at "Cuisine of the American Southwest." Looks
> like it won an award in 1984.
>
> Thanks everyone.
> Dee Dee

Here's a recipe I had saved.
Dora

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sopapillas (Fried Bread)

Recipe By :NunUBizness, rfc - 3/21/02

4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons lard
3/4 cup warm water
Oil for deep frying

Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut
in
lard and mix with hands until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in warm
water to make a dry dough. Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover
dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes. Roll out dough
about
1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 inch squares.
Pour
oil about 3 inches deep into a deep fryer and heat to 400F. Carefull
drop
dough squares a few at a time into hot oil. They will puff immediately.
Turn to brown other side, then drain on paper towels. Serve at once.

Source:
"Pink Adobe Cookbook, p. 143"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 11:10 am, "limey" > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:

> >> Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston.
> >> They usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a
> >> Mexican version of fortune cookies). YUM.

> >> Mary- Hide quoted text -

> > I'll give a look-see at "Cuisine of the American Southwest." Looks
> > like it won an award in 1984.

> > Thanks everyone.
> > Dee Dee

> Here's a recipe I had saved.
> Dora
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Sopapillas (Fried Bread)
>
> Recipe By :NunUBizness, rfc - 3/21/02
>
> 4 cups flour
> 4 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 tablespoons lard
> 3/4 cup warm water
> Oil for deep frying
>
> Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut
> in
> lard and mix with hands until mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in warm
> water to make a dry dough. Knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Cover
> dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes. Roll out dough
> about
> 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 inch squares.
> Pour
> oil about 3 inches deep into a deep fryer and heat to 400F. Carefull
> drop
> dough squares a few at a time into hot oil. They will puff immediately.
> Turn to brown other side, then drain on paper towels. Serve at once.
>
> Source:
> "Pink Adobe Cookbook, p. 143"- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for sending this, Dora. I looked thru the web and a couple of
cookbooks I have, but they all say to have about 3" of oil in a deep
fryer. When I come to think of it, years ago I did try making them in
a cast iron skillet and spooning the oil over the top of them as they
were cooking. I can't recall if I ever turned them over, but I don't
think I did.

So funny, the book "Feast of Santa Fe" of which I have two copies
because I thought so much of it (one for mark-up) has about 5 pages
devoted to sopaipillas, ending up with a deep fry, browning on both
sides before it comes out.

The other book I have is Cocina de la familia, (given the Julia Child
Cookbook awards) does heat in a heavy skillet or elect fry pan ONE
inch of oil to 400; But in the recipe it calls for 3 CUPS; holding
them into the oil with a slotted spoon until they balloon or spoon the
hot oil over the top. TURNOVER after a few seconds and fry the other
side. This sounds more like a recipe that is not a deep-fry recipe
for sopaipillas, but 3 cups oil? forget that.

Thanks again, Dora, for thinking of me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Marck DeCarlo - Taste of America is having a program that includes
>sopaipillas in Albuquerque
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopaipilla
>
>I lived in New Mexico in the early 1960's about 3 years, where I
>discovered sopaipillas among other wonderful foods. I've never had
>them as good as then. They were not the deep-fried (won-ton like)
>squares that I've seen everywhere else since then.
>When brought to your table, they were puffed up like a popover. And
>you could drizzle honey inside. They were 'lightly' fried, not deep
>fried, and the skin of the dough when fried was tender, not crispy.
>
>Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
>Thanks.
>Dee Dee

All the time while I lived in New Mexico. Haven't made them in years.
Looks like I need to re-learn how to make them so we can have a
sopapilla party at the cookin'
Also Navajo Fry Bread. :-) I haven't made that in the longest time
also.

Koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:42:37 -0400, "MareCat"
> > wrote:
>
> >Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston. They
> >usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a Mexican version
> >of fortune cookies). YUM.
> >
> >Mary
> >

> In NM, they come with the main body of the meal and aren't necessarily
> considered dessert.
>
> Christine

However they can become dessert by dipping into a sugar syrup
(enmeladas) or rolling the hot sopaipillas in a cinnamon/sugar mixture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>I've had them like that at Casa Bonita in Denver.

Wait...holy crap!

That's REAL!?

http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:48:11 -0700, Koko wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
>wrote:

>>Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
>>Thanks.
>>Dee Dee

>All the time while I lived in New Mexico. Haven't made them in years.
>Looks like I need to re-learn how to make them so we can have a
>sopapilla party at the cookin'
>Also Navajo Fry Bread. :-) I haven't made that in the longest time
>also.

I have a deep fryer!!!!

I made them years ago, after my first visit to NM. I went to Fiesta
de Santa Fe/Zozobra...and had them there. It was love at first bite.
I got back to the DC area where I was living at the time, and decided
to make them for a party. Needless to say, they were a huge hit.

Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:42:37 -0400, "MareCat"
> > wrote:
>
> > Yep. I had 'em at lots of Mexican places when I lived in Houston.
> > They usually accompanied the check at the end of a meal (like a
> > Mexican version of fortune cookies). YUM.
> >
> > Mary
> >

> In NM, they come with the main body of the meal and aren't necessarily
> considered dessert.
>
> Christine

Heh..at Panchos in New Orleans too...and there's honey on the table.
They're good. Too bad the rest of the food is awful.

--
-Gina in Italy

Favorite phrase of the day: Messiah-envy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
huge hit.

> Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into the
Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death (no guard
rails).

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:34:21 -0400, "limey" >
wrote:

>Christine Dabney wrote:
>huge hit.
>>
>> Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

>I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
>Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into the
>Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death (no guard
>rails).
>
>Dora

Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 9:48 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> >I've had them like that at Casa Bonita in Denver.

> Wait...holy crap!
>
> That's REAL!?
>
> http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

Casa Bonita even made South Park..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bo...ark_episode%29

Cartman likes it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:34:21 -0400, "limey" >
> wrote:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> huge hit.
>>>
>>> Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

>> I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
>> Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into
>> the Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death
>> (no guard rails).
>>
>> Dora

> Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.
>
> Christine

LOL. Then I'm a wimp and proud of it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"limey" > wrote in news:5ekhmcF37uafnU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:34:21 -0400, "limey" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Christine Dabney wrote:
>>> huge hit.

>>> I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
>>> Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into
>>> the Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death
>>> (no guard rails).
>>>
>>> Dora

>> Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.
>>
>> Christine

> LOL. Then I'm a wimp and proud of it!

Congradulations and welcome to the wimp bragade...I'm a staff sargent in
the local wimp unit. I didn't know (till recently) that I fear
heights...possibly because I never went any where where it was apparent I
was up high.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 9:34 am, "limey" > wrote:

> > Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

> I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
> Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into the
> Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death (no guard
> rails).
>
> Dora

Dora, I'm so glad I lived there (1960-1964) I was young and able to
do a lot of rock hunting during the week. On the weekends we would
leave Friday night (weather permitting) and camp out, arriving home
late Sunday night. New Mexico IS the land of enchantment. Sometimes
I believe my life really began there, that's how much it affected
me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
> "limey" > wrote in news:5ekhmcF37uafnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Christine Dabney wrote:

>>> Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.
>>>
>>> Christine

>> LOL. Then I'm a wimp and proud of it!
>>

> Congradulations and welcome to the wimp bragade...I'm a staff sargent
> in the local wimp unit.

Sir, yessir!!

I didn't know (till recently) that I fear
> heights...possibly because I never went any where where it was
> apparent I was up high.

Maybe that held true in my case. My son drove like a bat out of hell
around the curves, would pull up to the edge in a likely spot and say,
"OK Mom - this would make a great photo". Right - step out and fall
5,000 feet. I could have got him for matricide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 10:01 am, hahabogus > wrote:
> "limey" > wrote in news:5ekhmcF37uafnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>

> > Christine Dabney wrote:

> >> Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.

> >> Christine

> > LOL. Then I'm a wimp and proud of it!

> Congradulations and welcome to the wimp bragade...I'm a staff sargent in
> the local wimp unit. I didn't know (till recently) that I fear
> heights...possibly because I never went any where where it was apparent I
> was up high.

The road southwest from Los Alamos is the most terrifying thing I've
ever seen. The one that goes over the mountain to Jemez. To get to
Jemez I would, and did, go via Bernalillo, which does take one right
past the Range Cafe. Yeah, like I'd just drive past the Range Cafe.

Jemez is nice, as are the innkeepers at: http://www.jemezsprings.org/comp/canyoninn.html
Be forewarned that nudity is against the law at the area's hot springs
*wink, wink*.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:34:21 -0400, "limey" >
> wrote:
>
> >Christine Dabney wrote:
> >huge hit.
> >>
> >> Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

> >I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
> >Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into the
> >Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death (no guard
> >rails).
> >
> >Dora

> Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.
>
> Christine

LOL! You done Raton Pass lately?
Safe journey!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 5:19 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:34:21 -0400, "limey" >
> > wrote:

> > >Christine Dabney wrote:
> > >huge hit.

> > >I envy you. I loved NM - Albuquerque, Sandia Crest, Santa Fe, Los
> > >Alamos, Taos, and that awe-inspiring scenery. Plus, we drove into the
> > >Colorado Rockies - gorgeous, even though I was scared to death (no guard
> > >rails).

Juniper bushes.

> > >Dora

> > Yeah, we think guard rails are for wimps.

> > Christine

> LOL! You done Raton Pass lately?
> Safe journey!

Raton Tunnel, on the Amtrak. Not scary at all.
http://www.amtrak.com
The Southwest Chief.
What a wonderful way to travel.
The food on the train is surprisingly decent too. To heck with
driving.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
>On Jun 28, 9:48 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>> Wait...holy crap!
>> That's REAL!?

>Casa Bonita even made South Park..
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bo...ark_episode%29

That's what I mean.

It's so absurd I thought South Park made it up as a spoof
of the over-the-top restaurantotainment market.

>Cartman likes it.

That and cheesy-poofs.

--Blair
"And pah."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:14:40 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:48:11 -0700, Koko wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:52:57 -0700, Dee Dee >
>>wrote:

>>>Has anyone had sopaipillas like that?
>>>Thanks.
>>>Dee Dee

>>All the time while I lived in New Mexico. Haven't made them in years.
>>Looks like I need to re-learn how to make them so we can have a
>>sopapilla party at the cookin'
>>Also Navajo Fry Bread. :-) I haven't made that in the longest time
>>also.

>I have a deep fryer!!!!
>
>I made them years ago, after my first visit to NM. I went to Fiesta
>de Santa Fe/Zozobra...and had them there. It was love at first bite.
>I got back to the DC area where I was living at the time, and decided
>to make them for a party. Needless to say, they were a huge hit.
>
>Christine, on the road to NM as of tomorrow morning.

Wow Christine, thanks for the memories.
The first time I went to the burning of Zozobra was in 1975. My
picture even ended up in the paper.
If my memory serves me right it is held in the fall.

Koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 17:43:05 -0700, Koko wrote:

>Wow Christine, thanks for the memories.
>The first time I went to the burning of Zozobra was in 1975. My
>picture even ended up in the paper.
>If my memory serves me right it is held in the fall.
>
>Koko

I first went about 4 years later....

And you are right. It is in September, if I remember correctly. Maybe
even a week later than the cook-in. I will have to look it up.

Christine, who is in Nashville tonight, and who will be buying out the
store at Penzeys tomorrow.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> > wrote:
>
>>On Jun 28, 9:48 pm, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:
>>
>>>Wait...holy crap!
>>>That's REAL!?

>>Casa Bonita even made South Park..
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casa_Bo...ark_episode%29

> That's what I mean.
>
> It's so absurd I thought South Park made it up as a spoof
> of the over-the-top restaurantotainment market.
>

>>Cartman likes it.

> That and cheesy-poofs.
>
> --Blair
> "And pah."

Wow, I thought I was the only adult who liked Southpark. My favorite, is
the Powdered Donut Pancake Surprise. Makes me hungry, or slightly ill,
just thinking about it. LOL

Becca