Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Simple Chicken on a spit

Nuts to all the fancy recipes. I have tried different things with whole
chickens on the BBQ rotisserie but I just discovered last night how good is
is with just salt and pepper and basted a few times with olive oil. It was
fantastic.

However..... I have to remember to bring the spit in for cleaning. We have
a slight problem with the neighbour's dog. One of their two pit bulls comes
over several times a day to visit. You can almost set your watch by his 6
pm visit. He spends more time visiting us that he does with his owners. The
other is not quite so friendly. He prefers to come around when we are not
outside and snoop around in the garbage, the compost bin and the BBQ. This
morning when we got back from our bicycle ride and stashed the bikes in the
barn I found our BBQ spit back there. I don't know how he managed to carry
that heavy duty metal spit that far, but I have to say that he did a good
job of gnawing off all the chicken bits. It looks pretty clean. Needless to
say it will be well washed to get rid of the dog slobber, but he probably
saved us a lot of work by removing all that baked on stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Nuts to all the fancy recipes. I have tried different things with whole
> chickens on the BBQ rotisserie but I just discovered last night how good
> is
> is with just salt and pepper and basted a few times with olive oil. It was
> fantastic.
>
> However..... I have to remember to bring the spit in for cleaning. We have
> a slight problem with the neighbour's dog. One of their two pit bulls
> comes
> over several times a day to visit. You can almost set your watch by his 6
> pm visit. He spends more time visiting us that he does with his owners.
> The
> other is not quite so friendly. He prefers to come around when we are not
> outside and snoop around in the garbage, the compost bin and the BBQ.
> This
> morning when we got back from our bicycle ride and stashed the bikes in
> the
> barn I found our BBQ spit back there. I don't know how he managed to carry
> that heavy duty metal spit that far, but I have to say that he did a good
> job of gnawing off all the chicken bits. It looks pretty clean. Needless
> say it will be well washed to get rid of the dog slobber, but he probably
> saved us a lot of work by removing all that baked on stuff.

This will have to become a routine for the dog and you - no more scouring
;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 30, 1:12 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Nuts to all the fancy recipes. I have tried different things with whole
> chickens on the BBQ rotisserie but I just discovered last night how good is
> is with just salt and pepper and basted a few times with olive oil. It was
> fantastic.

So true. There seems to be a cycle with certain basic foods. You
learn to like them in their simplicity and then you start to fool
around with them by adding ingredients and seasonings. All goes well,
new things are created, some of them good, and then -- reversion to
the basic, reacquaintance with the simple good.

I had a neighbor who made a fantastic mashed potato casserole. It was
mashed potatoes with about eight other ingredients and seasonings,
principle among which were caramelized onions, garlic, cheeses and
herbs. He had a couple other complex potato concoctions, also very
good. We had them over one night for a cookout and I made mashed
potatoes -- russets, butter, milk, salt and pepper. You should have
heard them rave.

Different friends were big steak eaters, but they had five or six
different marinades they used, and a similar number of sauces they
topped them with. They splurged once on USDA Prime grade porterhouse
to celebrate something, maybe a promotion, and for that occasion they
used a charcoal fire, salt and pepper.

I grill spatchcocked chickens frequently. It's been a long time since
I did one that wasn't marinated in something or didn't have some herbs
or spices rubbed on, or some compound butter spread under the skin. I
think the next one will be a return to simple goodness. Which I
suppose means I should take special care to look for a good bird to
begin with.... Good luck dealing with neighbor pit bulls. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:53:36 -0700, aem > wrote:

>So true. There seems to be a cycle with certain basic foods. You
>learn to like them in their simplicity and then you start to fool
>around with them by adding ingredients and seasonings. All goes well,
>new things are created, some of them good, and then -- reversion to
>the basic, reacquaintance with the simple good.

This is why I like the Marcella Hazan roast chicken recipe. Salt,
pepper, and a lemon or two in the cavity. Nothing else. Very,
simple, and very, very good.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:53:36 -0700, aem > wrote:
>

>>So true. There seems to be a cycle with certain basic foods. You
>>learn to like them in their simplicity and then you start to fool
>>around with them by adding ingredients and seasonings. All goes well,
>>new things are created, some of them good, and then -- reversion to
>>the basic, reacquaintance with the simple good.

> This is why I like the Marcella Hazan roast chicken recipe. Salt,
> pepper, and a lemon or two in the cavity. Nothing else. Very,
> simple, and very, very good.
>
> Christine

Christine, I am thinking of buying ONE Marcella book. Which one do you
recommend for recipes vs. recipes with a lot of techniques and discussion.
And which one do YOU like best.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:18:32 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>Christine, I am thinking of buying ONE Marcella book. Which one do you
>recommend for recipes vs. recipes with a lot of techniques and discussion.
>And which one do YOU like best.
>Thanks.
>Dee Dee

I think her first two books are now combined into one volume. I can't
remember the name of it, but maybe you can find out if you do a
search. If so, that is what I would get.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Christine, I am thinking of buying ONE Marcella book.

Okay, I just looked on Amazon, and the one to buy is called Essentials
of Classic Italian Cooking. It is the combined and expanded version
of the first two books.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:18:32 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>Christine, I am thinking of buying ONE Marcella book.

> Okay, I just looked on Amazon, and the one to buy is called Essentials
> of Classic Italian Cooking. It is the combined and expanded version
> of the first two books.
>
> Christine

Thanks so much, Christine, for looking it up. That's nice for you to do
that.
I'll be looking to get it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> This is why I like the Marcella Hazan roast chicken recipe. Salt,
> pepper, and a lemon or two in the cavity. Nothing else. Very,
> simple, and very, very good.

I usually toss some lemon and garlic into the cavity when I roast a chicken
but when I tried that on the rotisserie they kept rolling out. I suppose I
could truss it better, but I like to leave them open.

BTW.... this was a very small chicken that I did. I like to do the small
birds and then just split them down the middle. It is a good feed for two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:12:27 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> And next time he sees you and you don't have any chicken, he'll
> eat you instead.
>
> Pit bulls should be extinct. My 12-year old neighbor was mauled
> by one.
>
> -sw

My big (135#) Akita dog had a chicken in her mouth. At the time, she
outweighed me. I pulled it out of her mouth.
I buried it. Of course, she dug it up. I had to drive a few miles (in the
country) to dispose of it.
It could've been a scary moment, but I was the leader of the pack.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:53:36 -0700, aem > wrote:
>

>> So true. There seems to be a cycle with certain basic foods. You
>> learn to like them in their simplicity and then you start to fool
>> around with them by adding ingredients and seasonings. All goes well,
>> new things are created, some of them good, and then -- reversion to
>> the basic, reacquaintance with the simple good.

> This is why I like the Marcella Hazan roast chicken recipe. Salt,
> pepper, and a lemon or two in the cavity. Nothing else. Very,
> simple, and very, very good.
>
> Christine

Same here, I have tried all off the brining and marinade techniques but
it is hard to beat the great result you get from that simple method.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> > morning when we got back from our bicycle ride and stashed the bikes in the
> > barn I found our BBQ spit back there. I don't know how he managed to carry
> > that heavy duty metal spit that far, but I have to say that he did a good
> > job of gnawing off all the chicken bits. It looks pretty clean. Needless to
> > say it will be well washed to get rid of the dog slobber, but he probably
> > saved us a lot of work by removing all that baked on stuff.

> And next time he sees you and you don't have any chicken, he'll
> eat you instead.

I just found the other set of prongs. I thought it had been taken in and
washed last night but when I didn't find it in the kitchen I went
searching. I didn't want it sitting on the lawn and having someone step on
it or run over it with a lawn mower, and the neighbours have a two year
old. That thing could be deadly. I went over to ask the neighbour but there
was no one home. It was sitting on their patio. I should be grateful. He
had licked it as clean as he had the other part.

The neighbours just got home so I had to go over an apologize for snooping
around their yard, but explained that it was too dangerous a thing to have
laying around. They apologized for the dog's thievery, but I said it was
partly my fault for forgetting it. Some wild animal could just as easily
got it. However I asked if I could send it over for cleaning the next time
I use it.

> Pit bulls should be extinct. My 12-year old neighbor was mauled
> by one.

They would be here if the provincial government had its way. A year or two
ago they a law banning pit bulls, but there was a court challenge and part
of the law was struck down. According to that law you cannot buy or sell,
adopt, import or breed them. Anyone who owned pit bulls when the law came
into effect had to keep them fenced in their yard and in public they must
be muzzled and on a leash and they have to be sterilized before they reach
the age of 36 weeks.

The neighbour's pit bulls run loose all the time. It doesn't bother me so
long as they don't go after anyone going by from my property. As far as I
am concerned the little one is welcome any time so long as he doesn't go
near the road and he plays nicely with my dogs. He always comes along for
walks in the woods with us. The funny thing is that last year when the
canine control officer came around to collect money for dog tags for my
dogs, the two pit bulls were running loose. He didn't say a word about
them, probably because the neighbour's father is a friend of his.

While I like the little guy, I have mixed feelings about pit bulls. I know
they can be sweet tempered and fun loving. The problem is that they are
unpredictable, and they are tenacious on the attack. There have been too
many cases of them mauling people, usually unprovoked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:12:27 -0400, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> And next time he sees you and you don't have any chicken, he'll
>> eat you instead.
>>
>> Pit bulls should be extinct. My 12-year old neighbor was mauled
>> by one.
>>
>> -sw

> My big (135#) Akita dog had a chicken in her mouth. At the time, she
> outweighed me. I pulled it out of her mouth.
> I buried it. Of course, she dug it up. I had to drive a few miles (in the
> country) to dispose of it.
> It could've been a scary moment, but I was the leader of the pack.
> Dee Dee

Indeed. If you are not the Alpha Leader one of them will be, and
then you, and they, are in trouble. And yes, pit bulls should indeed
be extinct. They too unpredictably break training and kill without
regard to what or whom it is they are attacking. Too well documented.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> And next time he sees you and you don't have any chicken, he'll
> eat you instead.
>
> Pit bulls should be extinct. My 12-year old neighbor was mauled
> by one.
>
> -sw

You live in Texas, so you are probably aware of the new laws concerning
pit bull ownership. These laws will make it almost impossible to own
one. If you consider the type of people who have been breeding them
lately, maybe that is a good thing.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pit bulls... was Simple Chicken on a spit

Becca wrote:

> You live in Texas, so you are probably aware of the new laws concerning
> pit bull ownership. These laws will make it almost impossible to own
> one. If you consider the type of people who have been breeding them
> lately, maybe that is a good thing.

I have know many different breeds of dogs over the years. Some of them have
reputations for being vicious, but as you indicate, it often has a lot to
do with the owners. Any dog can be vicious if mistreated or encouraged to
be nasty, and proper training can curb some aggressiveness. The most gentle
dog I had was a Bouvier des Flandres, a breed that is often used for guard
purposes, and whose bite can shatter bones, but she was very sweet
natured..... but also quietly assertive. The worst dog bit I ever had was
form one of my Black Labs. He was a gentle dog and the bite was not his
fault. He had been attacked by a neighbour's dog while we were out for a
walk and I made the mistake of intervening, watching the other dog instead
of mine. The bugger bit almost right through my hand.

Pit bulls are another story. IMO, and that of many others. They are not to
be trusted. Their reputation is not based just on the ferocity and tenacity
of their attacks, but on the attacks being unprovoked. While there are a
lot of seedy people who own pit bulls and encourage them to be vicious,
even the tamest of them can turn on anyone. FWIW, the neighbour's two pit
bulls are not a problem for me. I like them, one more than the other. I
prefer the younger one. The neighbour's wife prefers the older one, the one
I find too skittish. They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby. They tried to
get me to take him, since he spends more time here than he does at home.
But I already have two dogs, and I don't want a pit bull. I don't trust
them and do not want to be responsible for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Becca wrote:

They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
> older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
A dog lover,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > Becca wrote:

> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
> > older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> A dog lover,
> Dee Dee

As a general rule, I won't normally trust dogs around kids either, but
my border collie seems to really love kids. She's very gentle with them
and loves to play with them. She'll roll over to get her tummy rubbed
most of the time or tumble around on the floor with them. With a baby?
No way. Any animal can accidently hurt a helpless infant.

They are animals. You cannot expect them to "reason" like a normal human.

She's gotten on well now with Lynn's kids since her little boy was only
two.

No way in hell would I trust my Lab/Chows alone with any child. They are
not mean per se', just unpredictable. They get locked up when we have
company.

Responsible pet owners know where to place limits...

Even Chihuahuas can get snappy and bite. Size does not really matter
when it comes to dogs.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> > Becca wrote:

>> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
>> > older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

>> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
>> A dog lover,
>> Dee Dee

> Responsible pet owners know where to place limits...
>
> Even Chihuahuas can get snappy and bite. Size does not really matter
> when it comes to dogs.
> --
> Peace, Om

Right, I didn't mean it. Just being silly.
I have a relative that has a little dog and it snaps (while touching) at
my feet. Little dogs can be ferocious.

You never know what a dog might do. A dog that I had really loved people; in
8 years I had never seen her not like one person -- until ---
there were a bunch of people around the pool, and nothing particular was
going on, but a 10-year old girl came up and tickled her under the chin --
she growled. I was stunned. We've wondered about that all these years.
Now that girl is grown up and a news reporter. Perhaps she was just too
agressive? Ha ha.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
> >>
> >> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> >> A dog lover,
> >> Dee Dee

> > Responsible pet owners know where to place limits...
> >
> > Even Chihuahuas can get snappy and bite. Size does not really matter
> > when it comes to dogs.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Right, I didn't mean it. Just being silly.
> I have a relative that has a little dog and it snaps (while touching) at
> my feet. Little dogs can be ferocious.
>
> You never know what a dog might do. A dog that I had really loved people; in
> 8 years I had never seen her not like one person -- until ---
> there were a bunch of people around the pool, and nothing particular was
> going on, but a 10-year old girl came up and tickled her under the chin --
> she growled. I was stunned. We've wondered about that all these years.
> Now that girl is grown up and a news reporter. Perhaps she was just too
> agressive? Ha ha.
> Dee Dee

Hard to say. ;-)
Maybe she (the kid) did something you did not see her do.
At least your dog only growled and did not snap.

Some dogs are not so hesitant...
But dogs can also be a very good judge of people too.

I love dogs. I just don't trust them to be other than what they are
until they have really proven to me that they can be trusted. Jewely
would make an excellent therapy dog. She has yet to growl or snap at
anyone for any reason. In fact, she tends to be almost TOO submissive
sometimes! We've had her now for around 4 years.

We think she was abused before we adopted her as a 9 month old at the
local shelter. She's a sweetie. She and the Pembroke Corgie, Chelsea,
are two of the smartest and sweetest dogs we've ever adopted:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

Jewely is a bit skinny in that pic. We upped her canned food shortly
after that (she always has kibbles available 24/7) and she finally has
put on weight. She is very active so we had trouble keeping weight on
her! It's typical of Border Collies from what I understand about them.

The corgie, Chelsea is just the opposite. Very active but prone to being
"chubby". <G>

http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee said...

> You never know what a dog might do. A dog that I had really loved
> people; in 8 years I had never seen her not like one person -- until
> --- there were a bunch of people around the pool, and nothing particular
> was going on, but a 10-year old girl came up and tickled her under the
> chin -- she growled. I was stunned. We've wondered about that all
> these years. Now that girl is grown up and a news reporter. Perhaps she
> was just too agressive? Ha ha.
> Dee Dee

Yes. Agressive!

My jack russell was always a great dog but she bit one of the visiting
children in the kitchen. They were about at the same eye-level as the
little girl knelt down and eye-to-eye, Annabelle took that as an aggressive
act, being stared down on her own territory, and bit her on the arm.

I never again let Annabelle come in close contact with the kids unless she
was on a leash or in my arms.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>Becca wrote:

> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
>
>>older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> A dog lover,
> Dee Dee

Chihuahuas are among the meanest little dogs on earth. Any dog that was
bred strictly for food develops a bad attitude toward humans. Our
dachshund was good when the kids were babies forty odd years ago but my
rat terrier is jealous of the great-grands so I don't trust her around them.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Some dogs are not so hesitant...
> But dogs can also be a very good judge of people too.
>
> I love dogs. I just don't trust them to be other than what they are
> until they have really proven to me that they can be trusted. Jewely
> would make an excellent therapy dog. She has yet to growl or snap at
> anyone for any reason. In fact, she tends to be almost TOO submissive
> sometimes! We've had her now for around 4 years.
>
> We think she was abused before we adopted her as a 9 month old at the
> local shelter. She's a sweetie. She and the Pembroke Corgie, Chelsea,
> are two of the smartest and sweetest dogs we've ever adopted:
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg
>
> Jewely is a bit skinny in that pic. We upped her canned food shortly
> after that (she always has kibbles available 24/7) and she finally has
> put on weight. She is very active so we had trouble keeping weight on
> her! It's typical of Border Collies from what I understand about them.
>
> The corgie, Chelsea is just the opposite. Very active but prone to being
> "chubby". <G>
>
> http://i10.tinypic.com/61z32f4.jpg
> --
> Peace, Om

Thanks for the pictures.
When DH goes out to shop by himself, and if he stops to talk to dog owners,
he'll bring home a picture. Some of the old geezers (like himself ;-) )
always love to talk to him about their dogs, and he loves the chat.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > Becca wrote:

> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
> > older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> A dog lover,

I trusted my Bouvier with my son when he was a baby. She was very patient
with him and very protective. She used to sleep under his crib and once
scared the daylights out of two friends who snuck in quietly to see the
baby. They said they felt the floor shaking from her growl. For years after
that, one of them was afraid to come back to our house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:28:52 -0500, Becca wrote:
>
> > You live in Texas, so you are probably aware of the new laws concerning
> > pit bull ownership. These laws will make it almost impossible to own
> > one. If you consider the type of people who have been breeding them
> > lately, maybe that is a good thing.

> I know that there's some controversy about banning breeding, but
> I can't find any new State-wide laws on the books. It appears
> some cities and counties have or have tried to enact ordinances,
> but I don't find anything really specific.
>
> -sw

Hays County made it simple.

NO dog breeding in the county, period.
Dog owners that allow it will be forced to spay/neuter and resulting
puppies have to be adopted out thru the shelter.

This is of course assuming you get caught.

Needless to say, there won't be many free kitten/puppy adds in the local
paper.

This was done in an attempt to cut back on surrendered puppies and
kittens to the shelter.

I don't know how well it's worked as I've not followed up on it. The
shelter informed me of it when we were having "issues" with the
neighbors pitt bulls and my poultry which has since been given away.
(They had issues with me having chickens due to the stoopid "bird flu"
scare and I had issues with them letting their dogs bark all day long as
I work nights).

I gave in and gave all my chickens away. It was not worth the hassle any
longer.

And I turned them in to the shelter when their pitt bitch had puppies.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pit bulls - Simple Chicken on a spit

I liked this article on breed bans:

http://www.stopbsl.com/

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

What a sweet looking dog

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
merryb > wrote:

> >> http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg

> What a sweet looking dog

<smiles>

Jewely is a serious love...
Thanks!

She was due to be euthanized (3 days) and we were looking for another
dog so the timing was perfect.

I highly recommend pound dogs.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:13:29 -0500:

??>>>> http://i15.tinypic.com/2m4zy2r.jpg
??>>
??>> What a sweet looking dog

O> <smiles>

O> Jewely is a serious love...
O> Thanks!

O> She was due to be euthanized (3 days) and we were looking
O> for another dog so the timing was perfect.

O> I highly recommend pound dogs.

It's very hard to tell what a dog is like from its appearance.
My neighbors have an ugly, medium-sized greyish dog that looks
like he has a lot of pit bull in his ancestry. He is actually a
pussy-cat and the alpha dog in the household is a pug (also
friendly if noisy).

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> It's very hard to tell what a dog is like from its appearance.
> My neighbors have an ugly, medium-sized greyish dog that looks
> like he has a lot of pit bull in his ancestry. He is actually a
> pussy-cat and the alpha dog in the household is a pug (also
> friendly if noisy).

So true. A friend of mine had a big German Shepherd that looked like a mean
junk yard dog. He was a marshmallow. The neighbour's younger pit bull who
spends more time over here than he does at home is a a tough looking little
dog, compact and very muscular. He scares visitors who think he is baring
his teeth in a growl, but someone once taught him to smile and he does it
when he is excited to see you.

I have been nipped by a few dogs but only two ever drew blood. The first
was a Chihuahua who was sitting on my map being patted when he turned on
me. The other was my own Lab who I was trying to rescue from an attacking
German Shepherd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 09:28:52 -0500, Becca wrote:
>

>>You live in Texas, so you are probably aware of the new laws concerning
>>pit bull ownership. These laws will make it almost impossible to own
>>one. If you consider the type of people who have been breeding them
>>lately, maybe that is a good thing.

> I know that there's some controversy about banning breeding, but
> I can't find any new State-wide laws on the books. It appears
> some cities and counties have or have tried to enact ordinances,
> but I don't find anything really specific.
>
> -sw

From what I read in the Houston Chronicle, Harris County, and a few
other counties, want all pit bulls to be registered with animal control
and the dog owners must have the dogs fenced and locked, including a
roof over the fence (IOW, a pen). The dog owners must be bonded and
insured.

Here is one article, but I can not find the other one that I read.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/4568495.html

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 9:44 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Dee Dee said...
>
> > You never know what a dog might do. A dog that I had really loved
> > people; in 8 years I had never seen her not like one person -- until
> > --- there were a bunch of people around the pool, and nothing particular
> > was going on, but a 10-year old girl came up and tickled her under the
> > chin -- she growled. I was stunned. We've wondered about that all
> > these years. Now that girl is grown up and a news reporter. Perhaps she
> > was just too agressive? Ha ha.
> > Dee Dee

> Yes. Agressive!
>
> My jack russell was always a great dog but she bit one of the visiting
> children in the kitchen. They were about at the same eye-level as the
> little girl knelt down and eye-to-eye, Annabelle took that as an aggressive
> act, being stared down on her own territory, and bit her on the arm.
>
> I never again let Annabelle come in close contact with the kids unless she
> was on a leash or in my arms.

If that had been my child, I'd have snapped little Annabelle's little
neck.
Dogs that bite children--unless the child is tormenting the dog--
should be killed, instantly. No second chances. There was this cat
who lit into my arm with its teeth. Within a week, it was dead. My
wife insisted that I trap it and pay $25 to have the vet kill it.
What a waste of $25. I could have snapped its neck and buried it.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 9:47 pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 9:44 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>

> > Dee Dee said...

> > > You never know what a dog might do. A dog that I had really loved
> > > people; in 8 years I had never seen her not like one person -- until
> > > --- there were a bunch of people around the pool, and nothing particular
> > > was going on, but a 10-year old girl came up and tickled her under the
> > > chin -- she growled. I was stunned. We've wondered about that all
> > > these years. Now that girl is grown up and a news reporter. Perhaps she
> > > was just too agressive? Ha ha.
> > > Dee Dee

> > Yes. Agressive!

> > My jack russell was always a great dog but she bit one of the visiting
> > children in the kitchen. They were about at the same eye-level as the
> > little girl knelt down and eye-to-eye, Annabelle took that as an aggressive
> > act, being stared down on her own territory, and bit her on the arm.

> > I never again let Annabelle come in close contact with the kids unless she
> > was on a leash or in my arms.

> If that had been my child, I'd have snapped little Annabelle's little
> neck.
> Dogs that bite children--unless the child is tormenting the dog--
> should be killed, instantly. No second chances. There was this cat
> who lit into my arm with its teeth. Within a week, it was dead. My
> wife insisted that I trap it and pay $25 to have the vet kill it.
> What a waste of $25. I could have snapped its neck and buried it.
>

> > Andy

> --Bryan

Ah, the good old farmer solution: Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. (in
reference to stray dogs in packs)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 11:56?am, George Shirley > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >>Becca wrote:

> > They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the

> >>older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

> > I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> > A dog lover,
> > Dee Dee

> Chihuahuasare among the meanest little dogs on earth. Any dog that was
> bred strictly for food develops a bad attitude toward humans. Our
> dachshund was good when the kids were babies forty odd years ago but my
> rat terrier is jealous of the great-grands so I don't trust her around them.
>
> George- Hide quoted text -

DO YOU OWN CHIHUAHUAS? MIN DO NOT BITE , NIP OR ATTACK. THEY O NOT
SHIVER. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RAISE THEM. MY WOULD NOT BITE ANYONE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 31, 11:18?am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>
> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > > Becca wrote:

> > They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the
> > > older one. She does not trust the young one with her baby.

> > I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> > A dog lover,
> > Dee Dee

> As a general rule, I won't normally trust dogs around kids either, but
> my border collie seems to really love kids. She's very gentle with them
> and loves to play with them. She'll roll over to get her tummy rubbed
> most of the time or tumble around on the floor with them. With a baby?
> No way. Any animal can accidently hurt a helpless infant.
>
> They are animals. You cannot expect them to "reason" like a normal human.
>
> She's gotten on well now with Lynn's kids since her little boy was only
> two.
>
> No way in hell would I trust my Lab/Chows alone with any child. They are
> not mean per se', just unpredictable. They get locked up when we have
> company.
>
> Responsible pet owners know where to place limits...
>
> EvenChihuahuascan get snappy and bite. Size does not really matter
> when it comes to dogs.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

CHIHUAHUAS ARE SNAPPY IF YOU TRAIN THEM TO BE. MINE ARE VERY SWEET AND
WOULD NOT NIP OR BITE ANYONE. THEY ARE VERY LOVEABLE.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 11:05 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 9:47 pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 31, 9:44 am, Andy <q> wrote:

> > > Dee Dee said...

> > > Yes. Agressive!

> > > My jack russell was always a great dog but she bit one of the visiting
> > > children in the kitchen. They were about at the same eye-level as the
> > > little girl knelt down and eye-to-eye, Annabelle took that as an aggressive
> > > act, being stared down on her own territory, and bit her on the arm.

> > > I never again let Annabelle come in close contact with the kids unless she
> > > was on a leash or in my arms.

> > If that had been my child, I'd have snapped little Annabelle's little
> > neck.
> > Dogs that bite children--unless the child is tormenting the dog--
> > should be killed, instantly. No second chances. There was this cat
> > who lit into my arm with its teeth. Within a week, it was dead. My
> > wife insisted that I trap it and pay $25 to have the vet kill it.
> > What a waste of $25. I could have snapped its neck and buried it.

> > > Andy

> > --Bryan

> Ah, the good old farmer solution: Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. (in
> reference to stray dogs in packs)

Very practical.

I might add that the subject header makes it look like someone is
going to pass off spit roasted pit bull as "chicken." You know, the
whole "tastes like chicken thing."

> N.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default STOP SHOUTING! Pit bulls... was Simple Chicken on a spit

CHIA3GIRL wrote:
> On Jul 31, 11:56?am, George Shirley > wrote:
>> Dee Dee wrote:

>>> They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the

>>> I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
>>> A dog lover,
>>> Dee Dee

>> Chihuahuasare among the meanest little dogs on earth. Any dog that
>> was
>> bred strictly for food develops a bad attitude toward humans.
>>

> DO YOU OWN CHIHUAHUAS? MIN DO NOT BITE , NIP OR ATTACK. THEY O NOT
> SHIVER. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RAISE THEM. MY WOULD NOT BITE ANYONE.

STOP SHOUTING!!!!!! Typing in all caps is considered rude. Thank you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 1, 7:45 pm, CHIA3GIRL > wrote:
> On Jul 31, 11:56?am, George Shirley > wrote:
>
> > Dee Dee wrote:

> > > They are moving in two weeks and are taking only the

> > > I don't trust ANY dog with a baby. Well, maybe a chi-wah-wah. ;-)
> > > A dog lover,
> > > Dee Dee

> > Chihuahuasare among the meanest little dogs on earth. Any dog that was
> > bred strictly for food develops a bad attitude toward humans. Our
> > dachshund was good when the kids were babies forty odd years ago but my
> > rat terrier is jealous of the great-grands so I don't trust her around them.

> > George

> DO YOU OWN CHIHUAHUAS? MIN DO NOT BITE , NIP OR ATTACK. THEY O NOT
> SHIVER. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RAISE THEM. MY WOULD NOT BITE ANYONE.

My grandmother had one of those nasty little nip dogs. Yours would
look nice flayed and gutted on a spit.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Aug 1, 7:45 pm, CHIA3GIRL > wrote:

>> > Chihuahuasare among the meanest little dogs on earth. Any dog that
>> > was bred strictly for food develops a bad attitude toward humans. Our
>> > dachshund was good when the kids were babies forty odd years ago but
>> > my rat terrier is jealous of the great-grands so I don't trust her
>> > around them.

>> > George

>> DO YOU OWN CHIHUAHUAS? MIN DO NOT BITE , NIP OR ATTACK. THEY O NOT
>> SHIVER. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RAISE THEM. MY WOULD NOT BITE ANYONE.

> My grandmother had one of those nasty little nip dogs. Yours would
> look nice flayed and gutted on a spit.
>
> --Bryan

My Pop never expressed a distaste for dogs, except for the family Pekingese
he grew up with.

"Bite you just as soon look at you! Vicious little dog! Cute was only a
disguise"
--Pop

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 7:55 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Bobo Bonobo® said...

> >> DO YOU OWN CHIHUAHUAS? MIN DO NOT BITE , NIP OR ATTACK. THEY O NOT
> >> SHIVER. IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOU RAISE THEM. MY WOULD NOT BITE ANYONE.

> > My grandmother had one of those nasty little nip dogs. Yours would
> > look nice flayed and gutted on a spit.

> > --Bryan

> My Pop never expressed a distaste for dogs, except for the family Pekingese
> he grew up with.
>
> "Bite you just as soon look at you! Vicious little dog! Cute was only a
> disguise"
> --Pop

Now, Noodle, a long haired Chihuahua, is as sweet a dog as I've ever
met, and awfully cute:
http://profile.myspace.com/195211296

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Aug 2, 7:55 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Bobo Bonobo® said...

;-)

Our

but

>> > My grandmother had one of those nasty little nip dogs. Yours would
>> > look nice flayed and gutted on a spit.

>> > --Bryan

>> My Pop never expressed a distaste for dogs, except for the family

Pekinge
> se
>> he grew up with.
>>
>> "Bite you just as soon look at you! Vicious little dog! Cute was only a
>> disguise"
>> --Pop

> Now, Noodle, a long haired Chihuahua, is as sweet a dog as I've ever
> met, and awfully cute:
> http://profile.myspace.com/195211296
>
> --Bryan

Noodle needs a haircut!