Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb/goat tasting metallic and rotten

My girlfriend, a reasonably adventurous eater, absolutely cannot stand
any sort of lamb or goat product. Any sort of lamb dish I get as well
as goat's milk cheese tastes either metallic or rotten to her. I've
mostly given up trying to find something she likes, but I am curious
if anyone knows if there's a reason for this. I'd assume it'd be
genetic (her sister also dislikes lamb and goat products), but I can't
find any reference to it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nathan Bialke" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> My girlfriend, a reasonably adventurous eater, absolutely cannot stand
> any sort of lamb or goat product. Any sort of lamb dish I get as well
> as goat's milk cheese tastes either metallic or rotten to her. I've
> mostly given up trying to find something she likes, but I am curious
> if anyone knows if there's a reason for this. I'd assume it'd be
> genetic (her sister also dislikes lamb and goat products), but I can't
> find any reference to it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

Do a Google search on lamb metallic taste and get any number of citations.

It's like cilantro which tastes like soap to some people, and there is a
strong genetic disposition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathan Bialke wrote:
> My girlfriend, a reasonably adventurous eater, absolutely cannot stand
> any sort of lamb or goat product. Any sort of lamb dish I get as well
> as goat's milk cheese tastes either metallic or rotten to her. I've
> mostly given up trying to find something she likes, but I am curious
> if anyone knows if there's a reason for this. I'd assume it'd be
> genetic (her sister also dislikes lamb and goat products), but I can't
> find any reference to it.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

Yeah... ditch her. She probably wants you to take her to Arby's for "roast
beef". Heh.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Billzz" > wrote in message
> "Nathan Bialke" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> My girlfriend, a reasonably adventurous eater, absolutely cannot stand
>> any sort of lamb or goat product. Any sort of lamb dish I get as well
>> as goat's milk cheese tastes either metallic or rotten to her. I've
>> mostly given up trying to find something she likes, but I am curious
>> if anyone knows if there's a reason for this. I'd assume it'd be
>> genetic (her sister also dislikes lamb and goat products), but I can't
>> find any reference to it.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks!

> Do a Google search on lamb metallic taste and get any number of citations.
>
> It's like cilantro which tastes like soap to some people, and there is a
> strong genetic disposition.

Check her Zinc levels. That can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth if
deficient, although not specific to goat/lamb

Frenchy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Frenchy" > wrote
> Check her Zinc levels. That can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth if
> deficient, although not specific to goat/lamb

Interesting. And amusing, because it immediately called to mind a
guy checking her zinc levels like you'd check oil, with a dip stick.
I have got to stop this early rising.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat > wrote:

>"Frenchy" > wrote

>> Check her Zinc levels. That can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth if
>> deficient, although not specific to goat/lamb

>Interesting. And amusing, because it immediately called to mind a
>guy checking her zinc levels like you'd check oil, with a dip stick.
> I have got to stop this early rising.

It's not just you, I read this and pictured checking Zinc levels
being a partner activity.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> cybercat > wrote:
>
>>"Frenchy" > wrote

>>> Check her Zinc levels. That can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth if
>>> deficient, although not specific to goat/lamb

>>Interesting. And amusing, because it immediately called to mind a
>>guy checking her zinc levels like you'd check oil, with a dip stick.
>> I have got to stop this early rising.

> It's not just you, I read this and pictured checking Zinc levels
> being a partner activity.

Now you know what "dip stick" meant...

--
Blinky RLU 297263