Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substituting Egg Beaters for Eggs in Recipes

I must admit I'm new to using Egg Beaters. However, I am curious
about replacing eggs in various recipes with Egg Beaters instead.

For instance I have an Italian Torta recipe I'd like to try with Egg
Beaters. . .Do they work pretty much the same as eggs in most recipes?

Thanks. . .
Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I must admit I'm new to using Egg Beaters. However, I am curious
> about replacing eggs in various recipes with Egg Beaters instead.
>
> For instance I have an Italian Torta recipe I'd like to try with Egg
> Beaters. . .Do they work pretty much the same as eggs in most recipes?
>
> Thanks. . .
> Myrl Jeffcoat
> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

No!
The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat, mostly
cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life. At the same time, the yolk
gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
nothing duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin, a
protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles, and and so
forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg white, plus a fake
chemical yoke without cholesterol and the other evil fats. You can't beat
the white of the egg beater; it's not separated from the fake yolk. The fake
chemical doesn't belong in what you're making because it doesn't add what
the original yolk did.
They cost far more than what they are worth.
Don't buy them.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:

> No!
> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk
> is 100% fat, mostly cholesterol, and designed to shorten
> your life. At the same time, the yolk gives a richness,
> and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that nothing
> duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin,
> a protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles,
> and and so forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg
> white, plus a fake chemical yoke without cholesterol and the
> other evil fats. You can't beat the white of the egg beater;
> it's not separated from the fake yolk.

Trader Joe's sells free-range eggwhites sealed in containers.
There are two egg-whites per individual container (I believe
there are four containers to a package) and they have an
expiration date many weeks into the future.

I tried them and was not impressed, but they are probably
better than "Egg Beaters" or similar. Probably they could
be beaten into a froth.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 12:25 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...>I must admit I'm new to using Egg Beaters. However, I am curious
> > about replacing eggs in various recipes with Egg Beaters instead.

> > For instance I have an Italian Torta recipe I'd like to try with Egg
> > Beaters. . .Do they work pretty much the same as eggs in most recipes?

> > Thanks. . .
> > Myrl Jeffcoat
> >http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

> No!
> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat, mostly
> cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life.

Bullshit. Egg yolks are divine.

> At the same time, the yolk
> gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
> nothing duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin, a
> protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles, and and so
> forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg white, plus a fake
> chemical yoke without cholesterol and the other evil fats. You can't beat
> the white of the egg beater; it's not separated from the fake yolk. The fake
> chemical doesn't belong in what you're making because it doesn't add what
> the original yolk did.
> They cost far more than what they are worth.
> Don't buy them.

At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.

> Kent

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.

Had to google for "Egg Beaters"? Never seen the like here. Don't think
I'd buy them if they were
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 4:09 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> > At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.

> Had to google for "Egg Beaters"? Never seen the like here. Don't think
> I'd buy them if they were
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Thanks to all who responded. . .I always know I can get the answers to
my burning questions in this newsgroup!

Myrl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> On Jun 26, 12:25 am, "Kent" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat, mostly
>> cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life.

> Bullshit. Egg yolks are divine.
>
>> At the same time, the yolk
>> gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
>> nothing duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin, a
>> protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles, and and so
>> forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg white, plus a fake
>> chemical yoke without cholesterol and the other evil fats. You can't beat
>> the white of the egg beater; it's not separated from the fake yolk. The fake
>> chemical doesn't belong in what you're making because it doesn't add what
>> the original yolk did.
>> They cost far more than what they are worth.
>> Don't buy them.

> At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.
>> Kent

> --Bryan

It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
you. How can someone not have read it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:

> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> >> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat,
> >> mostly
> >> cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life.

> > Bullshit. Egg yolks are divine.
> >
> >> At the same time, the yolk
> >> gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
> >> nothing duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin, a
> >> protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles, and and so
> >> forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg white, plus a fake
> >> chemical yoke without cholesterol and the other evil fats. You can't beat
> >> the white of the egg beater; it's not separated from the fake yolk. The
> >> fake
> >> chemical doesn't belong in what you're making because it doesn't add what
> >> the original yolk did.
> >> They cost far more than what they are worth.
> >> Don't buy them.

> > At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.
> >> Kent

> > --Bryan

> It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
> rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
> you. How can someone not have read it?

Myths die hard... ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 6:49 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Giusi > wrote:
> > BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> > > Bullshit. Egg yolks are divine.

> > > At least you're correct there. Egg Beaters are garbage.

> > > --Bryan

> > It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
> > rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
> > you. How can someone not have read it?

> Myths die hard... ;-)

There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> On Jun 26, 6:49 am, Omelet > wrote:
>> In article >,

>> Myths die hard... ;-)

> There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
> than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..
>
>> --
>> Peace, Om

> --Bryan

Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 6:49 am, Omelet > wrote:
>>> In article >,

>>> Myths die hard... ;-)

>> There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
>> than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..
>>
>>> --
>>> Peace, Om

>> --Bryan

> Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

As we all know, the majority of the public isn't very well versed in
anything. Of course, by speaking of the "general public", I'm not including
anyone from this forum. We read. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:

> BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:
> > On Jun 26, 6:49 am, Omelet > wrote:
> >> In article >,

> >> Myths die hard... ;-)

> > There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
> > than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..
> >
> >> --
> >> Peace, Om

> > --Bryan

> Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

Fat and high cholesterol foods were vilified for so many years, it seems
to be hard to let go. I STILL see stuff being published by the American
Heart Association that follows the outdated guidelines.

It's scary.

And it's killing a lot of people.

My blood lipid profiles are better now than they were when I followed
the low fat, high carb recommended diets.

And I've managed to stave off type II diabetes by severely limiting
sugar and starch.

Not fat and cholesterol.

My last heart ultra-sound was perfect too.

And I'm not on Statins which are liver killers.

EAT MEAT (and eggs) and live!

Dr. Atkins was right.

Oh, and for those that don't know, he was a cardiologist.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Giusi wrote:
> > BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> >> There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
> >> than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..

> >> --Bryan

> > Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

> As we all know, the majority of the public isn't very well versed in
> anything. Of course, by speaking of the "general public", I'm not including
> anyone from this forum. We read. :~)
>
> kili

;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 7:11 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>

> Giusi > wrote:
> > BOBOBOnoBO® wrote:

> > > There are still folks out there who think that margarine is healthier
> > > than butter, and Coffee Mate healthier than half&half..

> > > --Bryan

> > Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

> Fat and high cholesterol foods were vilified for so many years, it seems
> to be hard to let go. I STILL see stuff being published by the American
> Heart Association that follows the outdated guidelines.
>
> It's scary.
>
> And it's killing a lot of people.
>
> My blood lipid profiles are better now than they were when I followed
> the low fat, high carb recommended diets.
>
> And I've managed to stave off type II diabetes by severely limiting
> sugar and starch.
>
> Not fat and cholesterol.
>
> My last heart ultra-sound was perfect too.

You're inspiring me to get back on the program.

> And I'm not on Statins which are liver killers.
>
> EAT MEAT (and eggs) and live!
>
> Dr. Atkins was right.

And the Atkins way of eating IS NOT A HIGH PROTEIN DIET!!!!!!!!
It' IS a high FAT diet. It is a high FIBER diet. LOTS of green
veggies.
And Atkins warned of the dangers of trans fats decades ago.

> Oh, and for those that don't know, he was a cardiologist.
> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 7:15 am, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
> wrote:
> dropped this turd news:1182828526.285171.210250
> @i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com: in rec.food.cooking
>
> > I must admit I'm new to using Egg Beaters. However, I am curious
> > about replacing eggs in various recipes with Egg Beaters instead.

> > For instance I have an Italian Torta recipe I'd like to try with Egg
> > Beaters. . .Do they work pretty much the same as eggs in most recipes?

> I substitute Egg Beaters all the time in recipes. I notice no difference
> in the flavor or texture of most recipes. You can also buy the Egg Beaters
> with just the egg whites for the recipes calling for just the egg whites.
> The one thing I don't like about Egg Beaters is that ya' can't have eggs
> over easy

Throw that crap in the garbage and go buy yourself a dozen jumbo eggs!
Jeez, I figured you'd have more sense than that. Isn't your partner a
physician?

> Michael

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
BOBOBOnoBO® > wrote:

> On Jun 26, 7:11 am, Omelet <omp > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >

> > Giusi > wrote:

> > > Perhaps it is a literacy problem?

> > Fat and high cholesterol foods were vilified for so many years, it seems
> > to be hard to let go. I STILL see stuff being published by the American
> > Heart Association that follows the outdated guidelines.
> >
> > It's scary.
> >
> > And it's killing a lot of people.
> >
> > My blood lipid profiles are better now than they were when I followed
> > the low fat, high carb recommended diets.
> >
> > And I've managed to stave off type II diabetes by severely limiting
> > sugar and starch.
> >
> > Not fat and cholesterol.
> >
> > My last heart ultra-sound was perfect too.

> You're inspiring me to get back on the program.

Starch carbs are seductive. ;-) Fortunately I've broken my sugar
addiction pretty much permanently.

> > And I'm not on Statins which are liver killers.
> >
> > EAT MEAT (and eggs) and live!
> >
> > Dr. Atkins was right.

> And the Atkins way of eating IS NOT A HIGH PROTEIN DIET!!!!!!!!
> It' IS a high FAT diet. It is a high FIBER diet. LOTS of green
> veggies.
> And Atkins warned of the dangers of trans fats decades ago.
> >

> --Bryan

Depends...

He has a couple of different versions.

I don't eat as high fat as he recommends simply because when you are
trying to lose weight, calories count no matter what diet you follow.

And since fat is 9 calories per gram and protein is 4 calories per gram,
you can eat a higher volume diet if you cut fat a little bit.

My point was is that fat is not evil. It does not raise your blood lipid
levels.

Simple carbs do.

I try to eat a lot of fibrous veggies. I also happen to like them.

Gimmee greens greens greens!
Altho' that last dish I posted on a.b.f was not that low carb. Only the
turkey and cabbage was. Dad likes root veggies but I try to limit
carrots. Potatoes are a rare treat.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> BOBOBOnoBO® > dropped this turd
> oups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

> > Throw that crap in the garbage and go buy yourself a dozen jumbo eggs!
> > Jeez, I figured you'd have more sense than that. Isn't your partner a
> > physician?

> LOL... I only use them in some recipes, like pancakes etc. I've made
> scrambled out of them and they aren't too bad. I used them exclusively
> when I first found out I had CAD. That was until I learned about real
> eggs. I don't buy them so much anymore and always have eggs on hand. One
> thing about Egg Beaters is they don't seem as filling as regular eggs and
> they do taste a bit artificial if you're eating them scrambled or as an
> omelete. Steven seldom looks in the fridge and wouldn't be able to tell
> what was in there You should see the look I get from him as I'm stuffing
> a big piece of cake in my mouth... LARDY he gets ticked off.
>
> Michael

Learn to bake low carb. ;-)

It IS possible!

Here is a low carb pancake recipe from the low carb list:

Cream Cheese Pancakes
8 oz cream cheese, softened (6.4 carbs)
3 eggs (1.8 carbs)
2 T protein powder (.7, depends on brand) (can sub Atkins Bake Mix)
2 t imitation vanilla (.2 carbs)
3-4 packets of AS (I use Splenda) (3-4 grams)
Whip the cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Add the remaining
ingredients slowly. Put a little oil or butter on griddle and heat
it up, pour in the batter and fry up like pancakes! You want the
pancakes to be full of dry holes before you flip 'em. If they're not
ready to flip, they'll break apart. Top with butter and DaVinci
pancake syrup, or cream cheese and sugar free jam and enjoy!
There is also an Atkins low carb maple flavored syrup on the market that
is not half bad.

Low carb chocolate cake:

Chocolate Angel Food Cake
Ingredients:
8 eggs, separated
6-10 pkts Splenda
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 pkg. Swiss Miss Fat Free w/Splenda hot cocoa
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp Chocolate flavor Protein Powder (Designer Protein, Protein 95,
ProFormix, Soy Pro, etc.)
1/4 cup soy flour

Preparation Method:

1 Preheat oven to 350F.
2 Beat egg whites with cream of tartar. Add 3 pkts Splenda and beat
until stiff but not dry.
3 In a separate bowl, mix the yolks with remainder of Splenda (amount
variation is to allow for your sweetness level preference) and 1/2
package of hot cocoa mix. Add 1/2 Tbsp cocoa and mix well. Take a
spoonful of white mixture and blend into yolk mixture. Pour the yolk
mixture over the whites and sift the remaining Swiss Miss mix, cocoa
powder, chocolate protein powder and soy flour over this. Fold all of
this together, gently and spoon into a small Bundt pan or loaf pan that
has been sprayed with Pam.
4 Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until firm. Do not over bake. Frost with
chocolate frosting or peanut butter frosting if desired.

Carbs:
Approx 26 carbs, 4 fiber in entire cake without frosting.

Frosting can be made using cream cheese, splenda and cocoa powder with a
bit of vanilla extract.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 7:48 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>

> > BOBOBOnoBO® > dropped this turd
> roups.com:in
> > rec.food.cooking

> > > Throw that crap in the garbage and go buy yourself a dozen jumbo eggs!
> > > Jeez, I figured you'd have more sense than that. Isn't your partner a
> > > physician?

> > LOL... I only use them in some recipes, like pancakes etc. I've made
> > scrambled out of them and they aren't too bad. I used them exclusively
> > when I first found out I had CAD. That was until I learned about real
> > eggs. I don't buy them so much anymore and always have eggs on hand. One
> > thing about Egg Beaters is they don't seem as filling as regular eggs and
> > they do taste a bit artificial if you're eating them scrambled or as an
> > omelete. Steven seldom looks in the fridge and wouldn't be able to tell
> > what was in there You should see the look I get from him as I'm stuffing
> > a big piece of cake in my mouth... LARDY he gets ticked off.

> > Michael

> Learn to bake low carb. ;-)
>
> It IS possible!
>
> Here is a low carb pancake recipe from the low carb list:
>
> Cream Cheese Pancakes
> 8 oz cream cheese, softened (6.4 carbs)
> 3 eggs (1.8 carbs)
> 2 T protein powder (.7, depends on brand) (can sub Atkins Bake Mix)
> 2 t imitation vanilla (.2 carbs)

IMITATION VANILLA!?!?!!!! Shame on you!

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
BOBOBOnoBO® > wrote:

> On Jun 26, 7:48 am, Omelet <omp > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
> >

> > > BOBOBOnoBO® > dropped this turd
> > roups.com:in
> > > rec.food.cooking

> > > LOL... I only use them in some recipes, like pancakes etc. I've made
> > > scrambled out of them and they aren't too bad. I used them exclusively
> > > when I first found out I had CAD. That was until I learned about real
> > > eggs. I don't buy them so much anymore and always have eggs on hand. One
> > > thing about Egg Beaters is they don't seem as filling as regular eggs and
> > > they do taste a bit artificial if you're eating them scrambled or as an
> > > omelete. Steven seldom looks in the fridge and wouldn't be able to tell
> > > what was in there You should see the look I get from him as I'm
> > > stuffing
> > > a big piece of cake in my mouth... LARDY he gets ticked off.

> > > Michael

> > Learn to bake low carb. ;-)
> >
> > It IS possible!
> >
> > Here is a low carb pancake recipe from the low carb list:
> >
> > Cream Cheese Pancakes
> > 8 oz cream cheese, softened (6.4 carbs)
> > 3 eggs (1.8 carbs)
> > 2 T protein powder (.7, depends on brand) (can sub Atkins Bake Mix)
> > 2 t imitation vanilla (.2 carbs)

> IMITATION VANILLA!?!?!!!! Shame on you!
>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> --Bryan

Wasn't my recipe... I stored it as is. ;-)

Sorry.

I make my own vanilla extract using grain alcohol and vanilla beans.

Makes it pretty much carb free.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I must admit I'm new to using Egg Beaters. However, I am curious
> about replacing eggs in various recipes with Egg Beaters instead.
>
> For instance I have an Italian Torta recipe I'd like to try with Egg
> Beaters. . .Do they work pretty much the same as eggs in most recipes?
>
> Thanks. . .
> Myrl Jeffcoat

http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Here's a recipe for homemade, Myrl.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

³Eggbeaters²

Recipe By: posted again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 6-26-2007
Serving Size: 1

1 egg white
1 tsp. corn oil or safflower oil
1 tsp. nonfat dry milk powder

Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until thoroughly
blended. The ingredients may be blended in a blender but too much
mixing makes the egg substitute frothy. Recipe may be multiplied by any
amount desired. One recipe makes the equivalent of 1 egg (1/4 cup).

Commercial egg substitute: 96 calories, 1 mg. cholesterol, 7 mg. fat,
120 mg. sodium.

Jeanne¹s substitute: 60 calories, negligible cholesterol, 5 mg. fat, 60
mg. sodium.

Source: Low-Calorie Cooking column by Jeanne Jones, Star Tribune
newspaper,Wednesday, 10/21/87.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Additional Note, 2/10/89: Price for one package of Egg Beaters
at Cub Foods is $1.67 for the equivalent of 8 eggs. Whole eggs are
approximately $.75 per dozen. A substantial saving to make from scratch.
6-26-2007: Nowadays I'm guessing the recommendation would be for canola
oil instead of corn oil.
_____

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:

> It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
> rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
> you. How can someone not have read it?

All things in moderation, mostly. The dietitian staff at a local
hospital says no more than four eggs per week if you're trying to reduce
fat in your diet.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat, mostly
>cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life. At the same time, the yolk
>gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
>nothing duplicates.

I eat 2-3 eggs everyday and my cholesterol is 124 when last checked 2 months
ago. I have been on Atkins for 4 years.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Giusi > wrote:
>
> > It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
> > rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
> > you. How can someone not have read it?

> All things in moderation, mostly. The dietitian staff at a local
> hospital says no more than four eggs per week if you're trying to reduce
> fat in your diet.

There are far more fat "sins" than eggs at only 5 grams per.

Cooking oil, butter, salad dressing, beef, pork, chicken thighs, just to
name a few.

My first family doc called eggs a "bargain in nutrition".
The trace nutrients contained in egg yolks far surpass the fat trade off.

You could almost live on those things.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Gimmee greens greens greens!
> Altho' that last dish I posted on a.b.f was not that low carb. Only
> the turkey and cabbage was. Dad likes root veggies but I try to limit
> carrots. Potatoes are a rare treat.

And I'm not supposed to eat meat (pork is okay) or greens. Whah! :-(

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Randy >
wrote:

> >The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat, mostly
> >cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life. At the same time, the yolk
> >gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
> >nothing duplicates.

> I eat 2-3 eggs everyday and my cholesterol is 124 when last checked 2 months
> ago. I have been on Atkins for 4 years.
>
> Randy
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

Just more proof... :-)

What is your LDL and Triglycerides?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > Gimmee greens greens greens!
> > Altho' that last dish I posted on a.b.f was not that low carb. Only
> > the turkey and cabbage was. Dad likes root veggies but I try to limit
> > carrots. Potatoes are a rare treat.

> And I'm not supposed to eat meat (pork is okay) or greens. Whah! :-(
>
> kili

You aren't fat so you don't have to worry. ;-D

And you like fish and sea bugs!

Aren't there some low iron greens that work for you?
Like cabbage and cauliflower?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-26, Steve Pope > wrote:
> Kent > wrote:

>> is 100% fat, mostly cholesterol, and designed to shorten
>> your life.

> Trader Joe's sells free-range eggwhites.....

(Cathy! ....survey material)

Q: Which of the two above statements is the most silly?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this turd
> : in
> rec.food.cooking
>
> > In article >,
> > Giusi > wrote:
> >
> >> It has been at least 20 years since they publicly admitted that the bad
> >> rap for eggs was an error of transcription and that eggs are good for
> >> you. How can someone not have read it?

> > All things in moderation, mostly. The dietitian staff at a local
> > hospital says no more than four eggs per week if you're trying to reduce
> > fat in your diet.

> That's what I've been told by my dietitian. Everything in moderation. If
> I pretty much stick by the food pyramid I'm doing okay.
>
> Michael

The "food pyramid" is why over 50% of Americans are morbidly obese.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>In article >, Randy >
>wrote:
>
>> >The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk is 100% fat,
>> >mostly
>> >cholesterol, and designed to shorten your life. At the same time, the yolk
>> >gives a richness, and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that
>> >nothing duplicates.

>> I eat 2-3 eggs everyday and my cholesterol is 124 when last checked 2 months
>> ago. I have been on Atkins for 4 years.
>>
>> Randy
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

>Just more proof... :-)
>
>What is your LDL and Triglycerides?
>--
>Peace, Om
>
>Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
>"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
>Nicholson

LDL was 54 I believe and Triglycerides were 57.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Randy >
wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:

> >> I eat 2-3 eggs everyday and my cholesterol is 124 when last checked 2
> >> months
> >> ago. I have been on Atkins for 4 years.
> >>
> >> Randy
> >>
> >> http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

> >Just more proof... :-)
> >
> >What is your LDL and Triglycerides?

> LDL was 54 I believe and Triglycerides were 57.
>
> Randy

Your LDL is better than mine, probably due to will power.
My lowest ever trig. was 49.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> BOBOBOnoBO® > dropped this turd
> oups.com: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

>> Throw that crap in the garbage and go buy yourself a dozen jumbo eggs!
>> Jeez, I figured you'd have more sense than that. Isn't your partner a
>> physician?

> LOL... I only use them in some recipes, like pancakes etc. I've made
> scrambled out of them and they aren't too bad. I used them exclusively
> when I first found out I had CAD.

Computer aided design?

That was until I learned about real
> eggs. I don't buy them so much anymore and always have eggs on hand. One
> thing about Egg Beaters is they don't seem as filling as regular eggs and
> they do taste a bit artificial if you're eating them scrambled or as an
> omelete. Steven seldom looks in the fridge and wouldn't be able to tell
> what was in there You should see the look I get from him as I'm
> stuffing
> a big piece of cake in my mouth... LARDY he gets ticked off.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Due to recent cutbacks - The light at the end of the tunnel has been
> turned
> off.
> ~unknow author

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>>
>>> Gimmee greens greens greens!
>>> Altho' that last dish I posted on a.b.f was not that low carb. Only
>>> the turkey and cabbage was. Dad likes root veggies but I try to
>>> limit carrots. Potatoes are a rare treat.

>> And I'm not supposed to eat meat (pork is okay) or greens. Whah!
>> :-(
>>
>> kili

> You aren't fat so you don't have to worry. ;-D
>
> And you like fish and sea bugs!
>
> Aren't there some low iron greens that work for you?
> Like cabbage and cauliflower?

I do eat cauliflower, and thanks for reminding me that I have a head of it
in the fridge I need to use. I'm ending up with a fairly high carb diet,
but I don't have a choice. There is hardly any food in the world that
doesn't contain iron. I'm just trying to keep it on the low-scale and I'm
attempting to be as creative as possible on a wee budget. :~) Tonight's
dinner is looking like yellow squash with garlic, sauteed in butter and
topped with freshly grated parmesan. Yellow squash has only about 4% iron
compared to, let's say, spinach which is almost 20%. I also have a bunch of
mushrooms I can throw in the mix, too. I have so many veggies right now, I
really don't know what to eat! LOL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>

>> That's what I've been told by my dietitian. Everything in moderation.
>> If
>> I pretty much stick by the food pyramid I'm doing okay.
>>
>> Michael

> The "food pyramid" is why over 50% of Americans are morbidly obese.
> --
> Peace, Om

Couldn't agree more. The "food pyramid" uses pretty much the same ratio
they use to fatten pigs and cows for market. There are no essential carbs.
There are essential fatty acids though.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> > BOBOBOnoBO® > dropped this turd
> > oups.com: in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >

> >> Throw that crap in the garbage and go buy yourself a dozen jumbo eggs!
> >> Jeez, I figured you'd have more sense than that. Isn't your partner a
> >> physician?

> > LOL... I only use them in some recipes, like pancakes etc. I've made
> > scrambled out of them and they aren't too bad. I used them exclusively
> > when I first found out I had CAD.

> Computer aided design?

I imagine it means Coronary Artery Disease.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> And I'm not supposed to eat meat (pork is okay) or greens. Whah!
> >> :-(
> >>
> >> kili

> > You aren't fat so you don't have to worry. ;-D
> >
> > And you like fish and sea bugs!
> >
> > Aren't there some low iron greens that work for you?
> > Like cabbage and cauliflower?

> I do eat cauliflower, and thanks for reminding me that I have a head of it
> in the fridge I need to use. I'm ending up with a fairly high carb diet,
> but I don't have a choice. There is hardly any food in the world that
> doesn't contain iron. I'm just trying to keep it on the low-scale and I'm
> attempting to be as creative as possible on a wee budget. :~) Tonight's
> dinner is looking like yellow squash with garlic, sauteed in butter and
> topped with freshly grated parmesan. Yellow squash has only about 4% iron
> compared to, let's say, spinach which is almost 20%. I also have a bunch of
> mushrooms I can throw in the mix, too. I have so many veggies right now, I
> really don't know what to eat! LOL.
>
> kili

Nothing wrong with veggies. :-)

Fortunately, when you peruse the produce section, the high fiber, low
starch delicious veggies far outnumber the starchy ones!

Remember, you get to subtract the fiber carbs!

Are all leafy greens too high in iron?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ms P" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
> >

> >> That's what I've been told by my dietitian. Everything in moderation.
> >> If
> >> I pretty much stick by the food pyramid I'm doing okay.
> >>
> >> Michael

> > The "food pyramid" is why over 50% of Americans are morbidly obese.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> Couldn't agree more. The "food pyramid" uses pretty much the same ratio
> they use to fatten pigs and cows for market. There are no essential carbs.
> There are essential fatty acids though.
>

> Ms P

Yes, and essential amino acids.
Guess where they come from? ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> You aren't fat so you don't have to worry. ;-D
>>>
>>> And you like fish and sea bugs!
>>>
>>> Aren't there some low iron greens that work for you?
>>> Like cabbage and cauliflower?

>> I do eat cauliflower, and thanks for reminding me that I have a head
>> of it in the fridge I need to use. I'm ending up with a fairly high
>> carb diet, but I don't have a choice. There is hardly any food in
>> the world that doesn't contain iron. I'm just trying to keep it on
>> the low-scale and I'm attempting to be as creative as possible on a
>> wee budget. :~) Tonight's dinner is looking like yellow squash
>> with garlic, sauteed in butter and topped with freshly grated
>> parmesan. Yellow squash has only about 4% iron compared to, let's
>> say, spinach which is almost 20%. I also have a bunch of mushrooms
>> I can throw in the mix, too. I have so many veggies right now, I
>> really don't know what to eat! LOL.
>>
>> kili

> Nothing wrong with veggies. :-)
>
> Fortunately, when you peruse the produce section, the high fiber, low
> starch delicious veggies far outnumber the starchy ones!
>
> Remember, you get to subtract the fiber carbs!
>
> Are all leafy greens too high in iron?

Yes, for the most part. I was specifically told to stay away from
salad-type greens, spinach, beets, red meat, try to avoid chicken and
turkey, and absolutely avoid raw fish and mollusks and tofu. Sushi and
sashimi are now off my list. Sigh.

Oh well. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Kent > wrote:
>
>> No!
>> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk
>> is 100% fat, mostly cholesterol, and designed to shorten
>> your life. At the same time, the yolk gives a richness,
>> and an embellishment to whatever you're cooking that nothing
>> duplicates. The white, on the other hand, is almost all albumin,
>> a protein that whips into those wonderous whites, for souffles,
>> and and so forth that we all love. The artificial egg is egg
>> white, plus a fake chemical yoke without cholesterol and the
>> other evil fats. You can't beat the white of the egg beater;
>> it's not separated from the fake yolk.

> Trader Joe's sells free-range eggwhites sealed in containers.
> There are two egg-whites per individual container (I believe
> there are four containers to a package) and they have an
> expiration date many weeks into the future.
>
> I tried them and was not impressed, but they are probably
> better than "Egg Beaters" or similar. Probably they could
> be beaten into a froth.
>
> Steve

Trader Jose's sells extra large eggs for $.99 ongoing. That's 12
whites/dollar. You can't
beat that, and you're getting something fresh.
I don't completely exclude the yolk in my cooking. When I make souffle, for
example, I use 1-2 yolks to 6-7 whites rather than the usual 5 yolks to 6
whites. A souffle without any egg yolk unfortunately just doesn't make it,
though it can be done.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent wrote on Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:13:03 -0700:

K> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
??>> Kent > wrote:
??>>
??>>> No!
??>>> The yolk of the egg is why we have egg beaters. The yolk
??>>> is 100% fat, mostly cholesterol, and designed to shorten
??>>> your life. ??>>> nothing duplicates.
??>>> ??>> Steve
??>>
K> Trader Jose's sells extra large eggs for $.99 ongoing.
K> That's 12 whites/dollar. You can't
K> beat that, and you're getting something fresh.
K> I don't completely exclude the yolk in my cooking. When I
K> make souffle, for example, I use 1-2 yolks to 6-7 whites
K> rather than the usual 5 yolks to 6 whites. A souffle without
K> any egg yolk unfortunately just doesn't make it, though it
K> can be done.

Even if you can't beat them, egg-beaters have their uses and an
opened container keeps for a week or so. One recipe, concerned
with fat avoidance, is in "oven-fried" chicken and fish.
Basically, the chicken emulates Japanese Tonkatsu which, of
course, is actually deep fried.

The usual recipes suggest beating a regular egg with water but
egg-beaters work too without the water.

Basically, one dusts the fish or chicken fillets with seasoned
flour, dips in egg beater, then flour and egg-beater again and
finally in Japanese Panko bread crumbs.

Let the meat rest for 20 minutes or so then cook at 450F for 20
minutes on a dish dusted with corn flake crumbs or corn meal.
Store-bought Japanese Tonkatsu sauce (even ketchup with some
lemon juice or cocktail sauce) goes well with the chicken and
Tartare sauce with the fish.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: