Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cellphone opponents, take note!

On 2007-06-02, BOB > wrote:

> Too late. Omlet has entered the thread.

Sic 'em, Omelet!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> We have different rules her for the use of deadly force.

Don't think they are that much different.

> Guns have to be
> safely stored.

We're getting that way. Mandatory locking trigger guards or a locking
gun safe.

> The only justification for using deadly force is if there is
> a serious threat on your person. Read that to be someone coming at you with
> a weapon. That means no shooting at someone breaking in, unwanted intruders
> and especially nt people running away from you. Police rarely use lethal
> force here because they know that they are obliged to abide by use of force
> guidelines and there will be a serious investigation and they are likely to
> be charged.

Looks familiar. Perhaps the enforcement is not the same, though.

People wondered why 24 officers with guns couldn't handle Rodney King.
Why didn't they just pull out their guns and threaten him? Because that
only happens in the movies. Rodney King showed no deadly force, so guns
couldn't be used. He refused to be searched for deadly weapons or to
stay down, so they subdued him. Police are only allowed to use a gun
for self defense. Once the gun comes out, they shoot to kill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-06-02, sf <sf> wrote:
>
> > Geeze, nb - pull that stick out. You're a mighty cranky boy. Put
> > some program names behind your rant, otherwise I have no clue what
> > you're talking about.

> When I attended CA schools as a kid, we were ranked in the top five,
> as I recall. Now we're in the bottom five.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/backgrou...l_funding.html

"California, the eighth richest state, spends 3.8 percent of per capita
income on education, making it the 46th in that category of spending
ranking."

Guess we're getting what we pay for, bottom five in funding, bottom five
in ranking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

T wrote:
> In article >, sf says...
>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:34:03 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> CCW/CHL

>> What's that?
>>

> In normal terms, a concealed carry permit. There is no federal carry
> law, so it's highly jurisdictional. Good if you live in large states
> like CA and TX, lousy if you live in RI.

The Peoples Republic of NJ only has 30 something concealed weapon permit
holders in the entire state. They are what is called a "may issue"
state. They have a very disingenuous process where you must submit an
application which after a long wait must be approved by a judge. Few
permits are ever issued. Also there is no reciprocity with permit
holders from other states.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 12:02 pm, Michel Boucher > wrote:
> Dave Smith > scripsit :
>
> > Exactly. If it is just an routine appointment most people should
> > need to call home and report on it, even if they are running a
> > little late. Heaven forbid the person call before getting to the
> > office, perhaps outside the building or in the lobby.

> So, we LIKE making up little rules for others to follow, I see :-) Do
> you carry a cane to strike them with if they transgress? What is your
> position on licking stamps in public or stepping on cracks in the
> sidewalk?
>
> I am assuming you mean "shouldn't need to call home", otherwise your
> statement is contradictory (which is the kind of tory we are stuck with
> nowadays).

You missed David's subjunctive there. On the other hand, I do hope
that he has a good solid cane. Well not a solid one but one with a bit
of "whippyness" to it.

Licking stamps ins okay but not exactly to be praised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 4:22 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > <sf> wrote

> > > While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
> > > proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
> > > weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

> > OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

> Sorry. ;-)
>
> I'll shut up then.
>
> It COULD be made on topic if we talked about wild game...
> --

Blasted gun crazy people ! I keep hearing that Canada goose is not a
good meal. The opinion seems to be a bit dry and tough. Can anyone
suggest some good ways to cook it?
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default guns: Cellphone opponents, take note!

Dave Smith wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> Those rules are for civilians, not cops.
>>>
>>> Steve

>> Bullshit.

> Around here they apply even more to police. They are trained in "use of
> force" and there is a policy regarding escalation of the use of force up to
> deadly force. Having been trained, they are expected to react in a
> professional manner.
>
> Fwiw, my younger brother is a cop and once attended a domestic assault. The
> assaulter came out of the house threatening to kill his wife. My brother
> had his gun drawn but opted not to shoot. The guy went back in and stabbed
> his wife. In the debriefing my brother told his sergeant that he was going
> to shoot the guy and regretted not doing so. The sergeant told him that if
> he had he would have been charged. They have only hindsight to know that
> he was actually going to carry out the threat.

Depends where you live. In Chicago (and I think New Orleans) cops are
never charged. In Houston, they /may/ get charged but are never
indicted by the grand jury.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 6:07 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > I stand corrected. She was not killed, but she is in critical condition. A
> > bullet in the knee and up into the thigh should keep her off her feet for a
> > while.

> > They guy would be in deep trouble if he did that here. You can get away
> > with shooting someone if you can convince a court that they guy was coming
> > at you with a weapon. Shooting someone climbing in a window will get you
> > some jail time.

> It would in many states too, including Texas, until Sept. 1st 2007.
>
> But still, I would NEVER shoot at unlit shadows.
> That ignorant.

The problem is that too many idiots with guns will do so. Some one
with proper training and experience probably will not albeit stress
may have an effect.

However I remember a friend in Red Lake, Ontario saying that he and
his native friends would not go in the woods during hunting season
because all too many American ( and Torontonian, IIRC) "hunters' shot
on sound not sight.

How many gun owners in Texas are at IPSIC standard ?
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> That's the thing that bugs me. A law abiding citizen shouldn't need a
> permit to carry a weapon.

I'm not up on the latest laws, but I don't believe that a citizen needs
a permit. Handguns need to be registered in various states, but no
permit is required to carry. Just put it in a holster and strap it on
your belt. Do not conceal it, you need a permit for that. The
definition is pretty broad. A gun in your glovebox can be considered a
concealed weapon.

> Criminals don't apply for permits, do they?

Why don't we pass a law requiring them to?

:-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:08:53 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> I could be that the circumstanses are not unique. Person shoots
>> intruder (in the dark) who turns out to be a family member when the
>> lights go on.....

>Which is why you never fire at something/someone without at least
>illuminating it first.
>
>Read some tactical manuals. I've read many.

You've taken the time to train yourself, but the majority of gun
holders (I won't say "owners") don't.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-02, Dan Abel > wrote:

> We're getting that way. Mandatory locking trigger guards or a locking
> gun safe.

How is it "getting" that way?

> Why didn't they just pull out their guns and threaten him?

I'm stunned you asked that question. The question should have been,
"Why, with almost a dozen trained law enforcement people present,
didn't they just wrestle him into submission and cuff him?" So far,
I've never heard that question asked by anyone but me.

> Because that
> only happens in the movies. Rodney King showed no deadly force, so guns
> couldn't be used.

Didn't stop the half dozen cops in LA who emptied their guns into a
black girl who was apparently asleep in the front seat of a car. To
this day, the best I've heard is, she was asleep, but had a small
pistol in her hand. She moved. Obviously grounds for firing
something like 100+ rounds into that front seat instead of ducking.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-03, John Kane > wrote:

> good meal. The opinion seems to be a bit dry and tough. Can anyone
> suggest some good ways to cook it?

Ask Tiny Tim's mom.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> In article >, sf says...
> > On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:50:20 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> > >In Texas, a license to carry a concealed handgun is called a CHL or
> > >Concealed Handgun License.
> > >
> > >Most states call it a CCW or Concealed Carry Weapon permit.
> > >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > >I got called down on some lists for just saying CHL even tho' it makes
> > >more sense than the CCW acronym.
> > >
> > >I have one.
> > >

> > While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
> > proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
> > weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.
> >

> That's the thing that bugs me. A law abiding citizen shouldn't need a
> permit to carry a weapon. Criminals don't apply for permits, do they?

<lol> Exactly!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
T > wrote:

> > It's the criminals carrying illegal/stolen weapons that make people like
> > me want to carry in the first place.

> It's more of a PITA when the law states that the sitting AG has to
> approve all permits. And the one in office now won't approve shit in RI.
>
> Here's the thing that really gets me though. RI has Castle Doctrine,
> RIGL 11-8-8. We are under no duty to retreat in our homes or vehicles
> yet we are shielded from civil and criminal liability.
>
> Reconcile that with our idiotic gun laws.

That's interesting... Castle doctrine and no must issue law?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >

> > > Those rules are for civilians, not cops.
> > >
> > > Steve

> > Bullshit.

> Around here they apply even more to police. They are trained in "use of
> force" and there is a policy regarding escalation of the use of force up to
> deadly force. Having been trained, they are expected to react in a
> professional manner.
>
> Fwiw, my younger brother is a cop and once attended a domestic assault. The
> assaulter came out of the house threatening to kill his wife. My brother
> had his gun drawn but opted not to shoot. The guy went back in and stabbed
> his wife. In the debriefing my brother told his sergeant that he was going
> to shoot the guy and regretted not doing so. The sergeant told him that if
> he had he would have been charged. They have only hindsight to know that
> he was actually going to carry out the threat.

It's always a catch 22 isn't it. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:28:27 -0400, Dave Smith
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Are you suggesting that we have to keep our voices down in order not to
>disturb the lout's high volume conversation. It is quite common for people
>to raise their voices in conversation to overcome ambient noise. In this
>case, the ambient noise level is high because most cell phone users raise
>their voices. If they are offended by the noise I am creating they can
>take their phone call outside, where it should have been taken in the first
>place.

Dave - I was in an elevator at my office last week with my boss. We
were quietly talking about some papers we needed to work on when this
ditz who had been yakking on a cellphone (talking louder than normal
conversation) barked, "Do you mind? I'm trying to have a conversation
here." The two of us rode up the rest of the way in total silence
while she continued to blather, doing big eyeball rolls to each other.

I wanted to tell her how utterly rude she was, but couldn't figure out
how to do it without sounding rude myself. So, I just kept quiet.
Imagine that.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-06-02, BOB > wrote:
>
> > Too late. Omlet has entered the thread.

> Sic 'em, Omelet!
>
> nb

Sorry... ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
John Kane > wrote:

> On Jun 2, 4:22 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > > <sf> wrote

> > > OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

> > Sorry. ;-)
> >
> > I'll shut up then.
> >
> > It COULD be made on topic if we talked about wild game...
> > --

> Blasted gun crazy people ! I keep hearing that Canada goose is not a
> good meal. The opinion seems to be a bit dry and tough. Can anyone
> suggest some good ways to cook it?
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Slow roast or braise?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
John Kane > wrote:

> The problem is that too many idiots with guns will do so. Some one
> with proper training and experience probably will not albeit stress
> may have an effect.
>
> However I remember a friend in Red Lake, Ontario saying that he and
> his native friends would not go in the woods during hunting season
> because all too many American ( and Torontonian, IIRC) "hunters' shot
> on sound not sight.
>
> How many gun owners in Texas are at IPSIC standard ?
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

It's one reason my long term goal is to retire as a teacher.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:08:53 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, sf wrote:
> >
> >> I could be that the circumstanses are not unique. Person shoots
> >> intruder (in the dark) who turns out to be a family member when the
> >> lights go on.....

> >Which is why you never fire at something/someone without at least
> >illuminating it first.
> >
> >Read some tactical manuals. I've read many.

> You've taken the time to train yourself, but the majority of gun
> holders (I won't say "owners") don't.

I know. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> I find the ability to defend myself to be a comfort.

Yepper!

Andy
A gun is a tool. I am the weapon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > I find the ability to defend myself to be a comfort.

> Yepper!
>
> Andy
> A gun is a tool. I am the weapon.

Exactly!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> <sf> wrote
>>
>> > While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
>> > proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
>> > weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

>> OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

> Sorry. ;-)
>
> I'll shut up then.
>
> It COULD be made on topic if we talked about wild game...
> --

You want to talk guns Om.... mail my SO))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Sorry. ;-)
>> >
>> > I'll shut up then.
>> >
>> > It COULD be made on topic if we talked about wild game...
>> > --

>> You want to talk guns Om.... mail my SO))

> Is he subbed to any lists?
>
> I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
> list,
>
> I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
>
> It has recently become an important hobby.

np will mail you privately)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> <sf> wrote

> >> OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

> > Sorry. ;-)
> >
> > I'll shut up then.
> >
> > It COULD be made on topic if we talked about wild game...
> > --

> You want to talk guns Om.... mail my SO))

Is he subbed to any lists?

I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
list,

I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!

It has recently become an important hobby.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> > In article >,

> >> You want to talk guns Om.... mail my SO))

> > Is he subbed to any lists?
> >
> > I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
> > list,
> >
> > I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
> >
> > It has recently become an important hobby.

> np will mail you privately)

Cool.

Which e-mail? <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
> list,
>
> I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
>
> It has recently become an important hobby.

"How can you have a house without a gun???" --Homer Simpson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Is he subbed to any lists?
>>>
>>> I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
>>> list,
>>>
>>> I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
>>>
>>> It has recently become an important hobby.

>> np will mail you privately)

> Cool.
>
> Which e-mail? <g>

Hasn't it arrived yet???? eh? Hmmm???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Omelet said...
>
>> I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
>> list,
>>
>> I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
>>
>> It has recently become an important hobby.

> "How can you have a house without a gun???" --Homer Simpson

Live in UK and don't get a licence

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> For one thing, I don't find that cell phone users have a tendency to
> raise their voice; we have many of them at work (techs and managers)
> and I have never found their conversations to be in any way disruptive.

Then you must be hard of hearing. There are some who do not. There are lots
of them who can be heard over all the normal conversation going on around
them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> I'm not up on the latest laws, but I don't believe that a citizen needs
> a permit. Handguns need to be registered in various states, but no
> permit is required to carry. Just put it in a holster and strap it on
> your belt. Do not conceal it, you need a permit for that. The
> definition is pretty broad. A gun in your glovebox can be considered a
> concealed weapon.

A gun in the glove box is an invitation to violent road rage incidents. It
is also a tempting target for thieves, so it will end up being a stolen
gun on the black market.
..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > scripsit in
:

>> For one thing, I don't find that cell phone users have a tendency
>> to raise their voice; we have many of them at work (techs and
>> managers) and I have never found their conversations to be in any
>> way disruptive.

> Then you must be hard of hearing. There are some who do not. There
> are lots of them who can be heard over all the normal conversation
> going on around them.

I am not THAT hard of hearing. Perhaps your area is inhabited by
cellphone louts...or perhaps I'm just not as thin skinned as you are
on this issue.

People who are rude and use cellphones are rude AND use cellphones,
if you get my drift. Cellphones are not the cause of their rudeness,
only a means whereby it expresses itself. Likely they are lousy
drivers and bad restaurant patrons with or without the cellphone.

And then there are people who believe that rude behaviour must be
escalated with more rude behaviour...I wonder who that might be?

Seventy years ago (or thereabouts), fussbudgets were annoyed by
public payphone users because you could hear their conversations
while waiting to use the phone. Now fussbudgets have changed their
tune (toon, shurely) and advocate the use of public phones over that
of cell phones. It seems you can't please everybody all the time...

I have a question though, I have a cell phone because I am on call,
let's say, as a doctor or a computer tech for the tories...how am I
then supposed to receive my emergency calls (leaked cabdocs or
emergency gluteal stickectomy) if it's within the realm of
possibility that you might have to be remotely aware of it? I ask
because it's entirely obvious that you don't know (or care) what the
nature of the call is, nor do people carry sandwich boards
advertising their professions.

--

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's
oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > I generally get my fill on tx.guns and rec.guns, as well as a yahoo
> > list,
> >
> > I generally try to restrain myself, but thanks!
> >
> > It has recently become an important hobby.

> "How can you have a house without a gun???" --Homer Simpson

;-)

Or more than one?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >> news > >>> In article >,

> >> np will mail you privately)

> > Cool.
> >
> > Which e-mail? <g>

> Hasn't it arrived yet???? eh? Hmmm???

It did shortly after...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
> >
> > I'm not up on the latest laws, but I don't believe that a citizen needs
> > a permit. Handguns need to be registered in various states, but no
> > permit is required to carry. Just put it in a holster and strap it on
> > your belt. Do not conceal it, you need a permit for that. The
> > definition is pretty broad. A gun in your glovebox can be considered a
> > concealed weapon.

> A gun in the glove box is an invitation to violent road rage incidents.

ROFL!!!

That is wrong on so many counts, I won't even start!
The incidents of using a gun in a road range incidents are in the small
decimals. Especially for license holders.

I do get ticked off at stupid drivers sometimes, especially on the
freeway and I keep my little Keltec on the visor over my head. Not ONCE
have I ever been seriously tempted to pull it!

> It
> is also a tempting target for thieves, so it will end up being a stolen
> gun on the black market.
> .

I don't leave my gun in the car unless I absolutely have to and if I
know I'm headed someplace that is a gun free zone, I usually leave it at
home.

Anyone that routinely leaves a weapon in an unattended vehicle is an
idiot.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> That is wrong on so many counts, I won't even start!

Really?? Yay.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> > A gun in the glove box is an invitation to violent road rage incidents.

> ROFL!!!
>
> That is wrong on so many counts, I won't even start!
> The incidents of using a gun in a road range incidents are in the small
> decimals. Especially for license holders.

But it happens.

> I do get ticked off at stupid drivers sometimes, especially on the
> freeway and I keep my little Keltec on the visor over my head. Not ONCE
> have I ever been seriously tempted to pull it!

But others have.

> Anyone that routinely leaves a weapon in an unattended vehicle is an
> idiot.

And there are lots of those around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > That is wrong on so many counts, I won't even start!

> Really?? Yay.
>
> nancy

Sorry hon', I try to restrain myself, I really do, but some subjects
and comments are too hard to resist. ;-)

I'm only human...

Ob food: I fried up some more $.97 per lb. pork chops this morning out
of the "trimmings" packages I bought. Sliced up and served with a bit of
Teryaki and Oyster sauce. Not sure why but I've really been in the mood
for that flavor lately!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.