Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cellphone opponents, take note!

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2007-06-01, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > Cell phones do not emit signals just because they are turned on.

> Silly you!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y487y3

Pretty wishy-washy article. And if the FBI plants a bug in my phone,
it's on whether the phone is on or not.

> also....
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/index.php?p=804

Seems to be some question about the legality of this one, used for
tracking errant children and unfaithful spouses.

> ...but wait, there's more.....
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html

Being that I'm not a member of a New York organized crime family or
under surveillance by the DOJ, I'm not going to worry about this one.

> ......not to mention....
>
> http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/2-15-2006-89039.asp

This one only intercepts signals sent by other cell phones. It doesn't
send out signals of its own.

> Maybe a cell doesn't technically emit a signal when turned on, but does it
> need to?
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> >
> > On the contrary. If I'm in a doctor's waiting room with my daughter, I
> > may need it to tell my husband where we are.
> >

> Of course, because one of your worlds will collapse if you are not in
> constant contact.

If we ended up going to hospital, it would be nice for him to know.

I have been in a couple of situations where having a cellphone has made
life much, much easier, both times including travel plans that fell
through due to weather and involved me being away from home overnight
unexpectedly.

> I can't tell you the number of inane conversations I have been subjected to
> one side of by cell phones users just have to gab to stay in touch with
> their friends. I have never been interested in having vacuous conversations
> with my own friends, so I sure as hell don't want to be listening to
> someone else have one, at high volume, with someone else.

That's nice. I'm not one of those people.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Miche wrote:
> >>
> >> On the contrary. If I'm in a doctor's waiting room with my
> >> daughter, I may need it to tell my husband where we are.
> >>

> > Of course, because one of your worlds will collapse if you are not in
> > constant contact.

> If it's an emergency that's one thing. A routine doctor's visit shouldn't
> necessitate a phone call.

It might if it turns out not to be a routine visit.

> Oh, and the other thing, at least at my doctor's
> office, there are signs everywhere requesting all cell phones be turned off
> because they can interfere with the medical equipment being used.

Not at any doctor's office I've seen in New Zealand.

> What did
> people do when there were no cell phones? They used a pay phone or the
> phone at the doctor's office to make the call.

Pay phones here are few and far between. And yes, a person can use a
phone in the doctor's office, if there's time.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message
> >
> > On the contrary. If I'm in a doctor's waiting room with my daughter, I
> > may need it to tell my husband where we are.
> >
> > Miche

> And that can be done in 15 seconds or less.

Yes, and that's how long it takes me. In the majority of cases, most
people would never know I'd been using my cellphone.

> It is the loudmouth that talks
> on the phone for 20 minutes and is disruptive that is the problem, no matter
> the place.

Absolutely, and I dislike them as much as everyone else.

I just dislike being lumped in with those people just because I have a
cellphone and am not afraid to use it.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-01, Dan Abel > wrote:

> This one only intercepts signals sent by other cell phones. It doesn't
> send out signals of its own.

The point was not necessarilly that you were incorrect, but to not
become too complacent.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> AFAIK, cell phones only emit signals under three conditions:

> 1. When you turn them on
> 2. When you move from one cell to another (generally involves driving,
> unless your medical facility is several miles long)
> 3. When you are talking

> Cell phones do not emit signals just because they are turned on.

Actually, yes they do. Cell phones send out an, "I'm here" signal
on a regular basis. The timing varies, but on the order of every
5 minutes or so. This is how a cell tower knows which phones are
in its area. If a cell phone is on, it is transmitting at least
a short blip every few minutes.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Actually, yes they do. Cell phones send out an, "I'm here" signal
> on a regular basis. The timing varies, but on the order of every
> 5 minutes or so. This is how a cell tower knows which phones are
> in its area. If a cell phone is on, it is transmitting at least
> a short blip every few minutes.

I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
I misunderstood. Weird.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Of course, because one of your worlds will collapse if you are not
>>> in constant contact.

>> If it's an emergency that's one thing. A routine doctor's visit
>> shouldn't necessitate a phone call.

> It might if it turns out not to be a routine visit.
>
>> Oh, and the other thing, at least at my doctor's
>> office, there are signs everywhere requesting all cell phones be
>> turned off because they can interfere with the medical equipment
>> being used.

> Not at any doctor's office I've seen in New Zealand.

And here I thought you folks were so much more on top of things!

>> What did
>> people do when there were no cell phones? They used a pay phone or
>> the phone at the doctor's office to make the call.

> Pay phones here are few and far between. And yes, a person can use a
> phone in the doctor's office, if there's time.
>
> Miche

Time for what?! CPR? An emergency heart transplant?!

Give me a break. A routine doctor's appointment doesn't require a
minute-to-minute play-by-play pronouncement over a cell phone. Sorry. It's
a kid getting shots or maybe has a cold or the flu or an ear infection. All
routine stuff. I just don't see a cell phone and a call to the husband
being a necessity, unless you want to ask him to pick up some prescriptions
on his way home. Then step outside, call, and ask him to do so.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > scripsit in
:

>> So, we LIKE making up little rules for others to follow, I see
>> :-) Do you carry a cane to strike them with if they transgress?

> No, but if I am with someone I make sure that we raise our voices
> enough so that we are interrupting their conversation and much as
> they were interrupting ours. It is not a matter of making rules,
> just a matter of them having a modicum of respect for the people
> around them.

So you demonstrate that by showing little respect for the others around
you? I fail to see how that improves matters. It's a daycare level of
response. If others around you are loud, then the only way to be heard
is to be louder.

--

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's
oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Miche wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> If it's an emergency that's one thing. A routine doctor's visit
> >> shouldn't necessitate a phone call.

> > It might if it turns out not to be a routine visit.
> >
> >> Oh, and the other thing, at least at my doctor's
> >> office, there are signs everywhere requesting all cell phones be
> >> turned off because they can interfere with the medical equipment
> >> being used.

> > Not at any doctor's office I've seen in New Zealand.
> >

> And here I thought you folks were so much more on top of things!

Very few doctor's offices here have any kind of fancy medical equipment.
If you want an MRI (for instance) you go to hospital.

> >> What did
> >> people do when there were no cell phones? They used a pay phone or
> >> the phone at the doctor's office to make the call.

> > Pay phones here are few and far between. And yes, a person can use a
> > phone in the doctor's office, if there's time.
> >
> > Miche

> Time for what?! CPR? An emergency heart transplant?!

I don't know. I haven't been in the situation yet.

> Give me a break. A routine doctor's appointment doesn't require a
> minute-to-minute play-by-play pronouncement over a cell phone.

As I said, it's not _for_ routine doctors' appointments.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > wrote
>
> > Actually, yes they do. Cell phones send out an, "I'm here" signal
> > on a regular basis. The timing varies, but on the order of every
> > 5 minutes or so. This is how a cell tower knows which phones are
> > in its area. If a cell phone is on, it is transmitting at least
> > a short blip every few minutes.

> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
> I misunderstood. Weird.
>
> nancy

That is interesting...

So if your cellphone is transmitting and you place a 911 call (say if
you are about to be attacked) and you drop the phone still connected,
can they use the phone to find your approximate location?

Or do you need a phone with a GPS for that?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> > wrote
>>
>> > Actually, yes they do. Cell phones send out an, "I'm here" signal
>> > on a regular basis. The timing varies, but on the order of every
>> > 5 minutes or so. This is how a cell tower knows which phones are
>> > in its area. If a cell phone is on, it is transmitting at least
>> > a short blip every few minutes.

>> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
>> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
>> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
>> I misunderstood. Weird.

> That is interesting...

It weirded me out a little because the people weren't actually
on the phone. They just had it with them.

> So if your cellphone is transmitting and you place a 911 call (say if
> you are about to be attacked) and you drop the phone still connected,
> can they use the phone to find your approximate location?
>
> Or do you need a phone with a GPS for that?

I do not know how fast they can get the information, and it wouldn't
be exact enough, I don't think, for help to find you.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-02, Omelet > wrote:

> can they use the phone to find your approximate location?

I think the key is approximate. Like the James Kim thing, they knew
he was in the vacinity of a specific tower, but it was a very big and
remote vacinity. Plus, I'm not sure how long his cell phone remained
charged or if he had a car/phone charger. That whole episode was
tragic, but also very weird. Here's a guy who was an internet
magazine reviewer of cutting edge hi-tech gadgetry, yet he seemed
puzzlingly ignorant of their use.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob said...

> On 2007-06-02, Omelet > wrote:
>

>> can they use the phone to find your approximate location?

> I think the key is approximate. Like the James Kim thing, they knew
> he was in the vacinity of a specific tower, but it was a very big and
> remote vacinity. Plus, I'm not sure how long his cell phone remained
> charged or if he had a car/phone charger. That whole episode was
> tragic, but also very weird. Here's a guy who was an internet
> magazine reviewer of cutting edge hi-tech gadgetry, yet he seemed
> puzzlingly ignorant of their use.
>
> nb

My cell phone's last GPS acquired location was taken back on May 31st, 6:11
gmt.

GPS is only accurate to within about 6 meters (about 20 feet), maybe less,
recently. Just recently, the US government is trying to push for increased
resolution (??) for the GPS/E911 system.

Also, GPS needs open sky for acquisition. It doesn't see through roofs of
cars or buildings, etc.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> My cell phone's last GPS acquired location was taken back on May 31st, 6:11
> gmt.
>
> GPS is only accurate to within about 6 meters (about 20 feet), maybe less,
> recently. Just recently, the US government is trying to push for increased
> resolution (??) for the GPS/E911 system.
>
> Also, GPS needs open sky for acquisition. It doesn't see through roofs of
> cars or buildings, etc.
>
> Andy

And in many states they are collecting the 911 tax on cellphones and not
even using most of the money for the intended purpose (PA is one of them).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> > wrote
>
>> Actually, yes they do. Cell phones send out an, "I'm here" signal
>> on a regular basis. The timing varies, but on the order of every
>> 5 minutes or so. This is how a cell tower knows which phones are
>> in its area. If a cell phone is on, it is transmitting at least
>> a short blip every few minutes.

> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
> I misunderstood. Weird.
>
> nancy

Cell phones are also used for road traffic monitoring in some areas.
Instead of installing equipment they realized they could watch the
cellphones and therefore speeds and congestion.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
>> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
>> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
>> I misunderstood. Weird.

> Cell phones are also used for road traffic monitoring in some areas.
> Instead of installing equipment they realized they could watch the
> cellphones and therefore speeds and congestion.

Wow, that's really interesting. Who'd have thought. Considering
that they are hiding black boxes in cars already, I guess it's a
matter of time until all cars have built in GPS like that Lo Jack.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
> >> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
> >> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
> >> I misunderstood. Weird.

> It weirded me out a little because the people weren't actually
> on the phone. They just had it with them.

The key is that they were driving, presumably with the phone on. Cell
towers have limited distance. As you lose reception from one tower,
your phone finds another. This involves both receiving and transmitting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> I was surprised to see that on some real life detective type show,
> >> they were able to show that some suspect was driving a certain
> >> path by what cell phone towers they passed. At first I thought
> >> I misunderstood. Weird.

> > That is interesting...

> It weirded me out a little because the people weren't actually
> on the phone. They just had it with them.
>
> > So if your cellphone is transmitting and you place a 911 call (say if
> > you are about to be attacked) and you drop the phone still connected,
> > can they use the phone to find your approximate location?
> >
> > Or do you need a phone with a GPS for that?

> I do not know how fast they can get the information, and it wouldn't
> be exact enough, I don't think, for help to find you.
>
> nancy

More reason then to own a CCW/CHL then?

And travel armed...

Cellphones are a good item to have but they are not always enough.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> So if your cellphone is transmitting and you place a 911 call (say if
> you are about to be attacked) and you drop the phone still connected,
> can they use the phone to find your approximate location?

Cell towers have a range of up to ten miles. That's pretty approximate.
There is talk about something more accurate, but I haven't heard of it
being in place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>

> > So if your cellphone is transmitting and you place a 911 call (say if
> > you are about to be attacked) and you drop the phone still connected,
> > can they use the phone to find your approximate location?

> Cell towers have a range of up to ten miles. That's pretty approximate.
> There is talk about something more accurate, but I haven't heard of it
> being in place.

Unless your phone has a built in GPS.
I've heard that they exist but have not looked in to them.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-06-02, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Wow, that's really interesting. Who'd have thought. Considering
> that they are hiding black boxes in cars already, I guess it's a
> matter of time until all cars have built in GPS like that Lo Jack.

In fact, you already do. The small chip that controls your airbags
already have certain limited capabilities. Insurance companies have
learned some of these limited circuits are able to record the speed you
were going when you crashed. Gotchya!!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:34:03 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

> CCW/CHL

What's that?

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:34:03 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> > CCW/CHL

> What's that?

In Texas, a license to carry a concealed handgun is called a CHL or
Concealed Handgun License.

Most states call it a CCW or Concealed Carry Weapon permit.

I got called down on some lists for just saying CHL even tho' it makes
more sense than the CCW acronym.

I have one.

And I do carry wherever I'm allowed ever since the crime rate
skyrocketed after Hurricane Katrina.

I also hit the range on a regular basis.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 1:47 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Heh. Ok...
> Then why did the 911 guy grill me so hard for my exact location when I
> thought my damned engine was on fire Wednesday morning???
>
> Long story and OT.

That's never stopped you before... Did you grill anything? 8~D

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:50:20 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:34:03 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > CCW/CHL

>> What's that?

>In Texas, a license to carry a concealed handgun is called a CHL or
>Concealed Handgun License.
>
>Most states call it a CCW or Concealed Carry Weapon permit.

Thanks.

>I got called down on some lists for just saying CHL even tho' it makes
>more sense than the CCW acronym.
>
>I have one.

While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
kuvasz guy > wrote:

> On Jun 2, 1:47 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > Heh. Ok...
> > Then why did the 911 guy grill me so hard for my exact location when I
> > thought my damned engine was on fire Wednesday morning???
> >
> > Long story and OT.

> That's never stopped you before... Did you grill anything? 8~D
>
> ..fred

<lol> No, just got to see 5 really "hot" fireman.
( I swear that hunkiness is a job requirement for those guys!)

And I did take them 3 large boxes of Pepperidge Farms cookies the next
morning for putting up with an idiot that mistook a popped radiator hose
for an engine fire. They fixed my radiator for me instead of making me
get a tow. I keep 2 gallons of DI water behind the truck seat at all
times.

Spraying coolant all over a hot engine does create a LOT of smoke, and I
had had electrical work done the day before. New battery and Alternator.
I felt a bit embarrassed, but they did not seem to think it was that
hard of a mistake to make.

There was a pinch clamp right next to the battery. I think the mechanic
knocked it loose when he replace it.

Pepperidge farm cookies have got to be some of the most delectable
cookies on the market.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> On 2007-06-02, Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Wow, that's really interesting. Who'd have thought. Considering
>> that they are hiding black boxes in cars already, I guess it's a
>> matter of time until all cars have built in GPS like that Lo Jack.

> In fact, you already do. The small chip that controls your airbags
> already have certain limited capabilities. Insurance companies have
> learned some of these limited circuits are able to record the speed you
> were going when you crashed. Gotchya!!

Yup, that's the black box I mentioned.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:50:20 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, sf wrote:

> >> What's that?

> >In Texas, a license to carry a concealed handgun is called a CHL or
> >Concealed Handgun License.
> >
> >Most states call it a CCW or Concealed Carry Weapon permit.
> >

> Thanks.
>
> >I got called down on some lists for just saying CHL even tho' it makes
> >more sense than the CCW acronym.
> >
> >I have one.
> >

> While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
> proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
> weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

Yes... and no.
Only if they are criminals.

Granted, getting the permit DOES pretty much guarantee that said carrier
is not going to be a criminal (requires 2 federal background checks) but
there are many lazy people that just don't want to go thru the process.

It's a PITA and requires renewal every for years, and the original
permit runs about $250.00 when all is said and done.

It's the criminals carrying illegal/stolen weapons that make people like
me want to carry in the first place.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote

> While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
> proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
> weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default guns Was: Cellphone opponents, take note!

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 15:04:18 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

><sf> wrote
>
>> While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
>> proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
>> weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

>OMG please don't let this turn into another gun thread.

"Another" gun thread? Can't say I remember one. Then again, I have a
kill file and kill threads when they drift off in a direction that
bores me. Yeah, maybe I'll miss something good but I don't care....
that's what happens when the practice of changing a topic title to
suit new content dies.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michel Boucher wrote:

> So you demonstrate that by showing little respect for the others around
> you? I fail to see how that improves matters. It's a daycare level of
> response. If others around you are loud, then the only way to be heard
> is to be louder.

Are you suggesting that we have to keep our voices down in order not to
disturb the lout's high volume conversation. It is quite common for people
to raise their voices in conversation to overcome ambient noise. In this
case, the ambient noise level is high because most cell phone users raise
their voices. If they are offended by the noise I am creating they can
take their phone call outside, where it should have been taken in the first
place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> While I wouldn't do it myself, I don't disapprove IF you have the
> proper permits. It's the people who don't have permits but carry
> weapons anyway that are causing all the trouble.

I don't have a problem with people owning guns. It is their use that
worries me. The use of firearms for self defence just increases the chance
of the homeowner or one of the residents being killed by a gun. Too many
of those people who insist on using firearms for self defence don't have
the good sense to recognize a real threat before shooting. Just a few days
ago there was a case where a homeowner shot an intruder. The home owner
happened to be a police officer, so you would expect him to be able to
identify the threat. Unfortunately, the "intruder" turned out to be his
teenage daughter who had gone to bed and snuck out of the house. She was
trying to sneak back in when Dead Eye Dad killed her.