Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default James Beard's Shortcake

Having just finished a strawberry shortcake with Beard's biscuits, it
occurred to me that anyone who eats shortcake should have this (his
ingredients, my processor version):

JAMES BEARD SHORTCAKE

2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 ounces chilled unsalted butter
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon cooled melted butter

In processor, blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter, cut
into small pieces, and pulse briefly to blend. Add cream and process until a
soft dough ball is formed. Knead for a minute or so on a lightly floured
board. Divide into 4 rounds and brush each with melted butter. Place on
greased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes at 435 or until biscuits are firm
to touch and golden brown.

My note: Of course, you're going to macerate the cut-up berries (I use a
pastry blender) with some superfine sugar, and top the
mess with whipped cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla.

What? You wanna live forever?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 26, 10:20 pm, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> Having just finished a strawberry shortcake with Beard's biscuits, it
> occurred to me that anyone who eats shortcake should have this (his
> ingredients, my processor version):
>
> What? You wanna live forever?

> Felice

Thanks, Felice. I made them this morning. I used 9.6 oz. flour. They
were very sticky, so I did use a little extra to bring them together,
but they were still sticky -- which is the way I like to make flour
products usually.
They were larger than I expected. The picture looks like they were
small.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=53ra3dh

I turned them once in the oven and had to bake them a total of 18
minutes @ 425F. I left them a bit high because DH said not to flatten
them anymore.

They were dee-lish! Thanks a lot.

P.S. I have been thinking of making Ina Garten's scones, but alas!
for 4 cups of flour, she calls for 3 sticks of butter and 1 cup of
cream. I'd been putting it off, so this filled the bill.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 26, 10:20 pm, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
>> Having just finished a strawberry shortcake with Beard's biscuits, it
>> occurred to me that anyone who eats shortcake should have this (his
>> ingredients, my processor version):
>>
>> What? You wanna live forever?

>> Felice

> Thanks, Felice. I made them this morning. I used 9.6 oz. flour. They
> were very sticky, so I did use a little extra to bring them together,
> but they were still sticky -- which is the way I like to make flour
> products usually.
> They were larger than I expected. The picture looks like they were
> small.
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=53ra3dh
>
> I turned them once in the oven and had to bake them a total of 18
> minutes @ 425F. I left them a bit high because DH said not to flatten
> them anymore.
>
> They were dee-lish! Thanks a lot.
>
> P.S. I have been thinking of making Ina Garten's scones, but alas!
> for 4 cups of flour, she calls for 3 sticks of butter and 1 cup of
> cream. I'd been putting it off, so this filled the bill.
> Dee Dee

Glad you liked them, Dee Dee. If presentation isn't a big factor, sometimes
I break up the biscuits in the dish before I add the berries and cream. They
absorb the juice so nicely!

I'm stunned by the flour/butter/cream ratios in Ina's scones, but I'll have
to try them anyhow. They must be fantastic.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> Having just finished a strawberry shortcake with Beard's biscuits, it
> occurred to me that anyone who eats shortcake should have this (his
> ingredients, my processor version):
>
> JAMES BEARD SHORTCAKE
>
> 2 cups flour
> 3 tablespoons sugar
> 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 3 ounces chilled unsalted butter
> 3/4 cup heavy cream
> 1/2 tablespoon cooled melted butter
>
> In processor, blend flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter, cut
> into small pieces, and pulse briefly to blend. Add cream and process until a
> soft dough ball is formed. Knead for a minute or so on a lightly floured
> board. Divide into 4 rounds and brush each with melted butter. Place on
> greased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes at 435 or until biscuits are firm
> to touch and golden brown.
>
> My note: Of course, you're going to macerate the cut-up berries (I use a
> pastry blender) with some superfine sugar, and top the
> mess with whipped cream with a bit of sugar and vanilla.
>
> What? You wanna live forever?
>
> Felice

Seconded. I always turn to James Beard when I am making
shortcakes!

--
Jean B.