Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Happy Victoria Day

Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Biff wrote:

> Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
> bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
> instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
> added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

It is a much better day for it than we had yesterday. I am about to hop on
my bike and ride over to a local stable to watch a horse show. As I ride
over the crest the Niagara Escarpment I will be able to see Toronto across
the lake so I will wave in your direction. If it is really clear I will be
able to look back and see the mountains ( hills?) of western NY.

I have a big rack of ribs thawing and will cook them when I get home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Biff said...

> Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
> bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
> instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
> added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

Should work, just don't forget the Molson Ale.

Happy holiday!

Andy
Slept at McGill University, Montreal
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> > Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
> > bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
> > instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
> > added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

> Should work, just don't forget the Molson Ale.
>
> Happy holiday!
>
> Andy
> Slept at McGill University, Montreal

In that case you know that while it is officially known as Victoria Day it
is more commonly referred to as May Two Four, due to its proximity to May
24, but more directly attributed to the 24 packs of beer, which will
consumed in great numbers across the country.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:41 am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Biff wrote:
>
> > Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
> > bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
> > instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
> > added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

> It is a much better day for it than we had yesterday. I am about to hop on
> my bike and ride over to a local stable to watch a horse show. As I ride
> over the crest the Niagara Escarpment I will be able to see Toronto across
> the lake so I will wave in your direction. If it is really clear I will be
> able to look back and see the mountains ( hills?) of western NY.
>
> I have a big rack of ribs thawing and will cook them when I get home.

Yes a lot better weather, cycling on Wolfe Island and a "quick" visit
to the Wolfe Island Bakery

Not decided on a dinner menu.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:45 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Biff said...

> Andy
> Slept at McGill University, Montreal

Yes but so did almost all the students especially back when they had
8:00 AM classes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

> > I have a big rack of ribs thawing and will cook them when I get home.

> Yes a lot better weather, cycling on Wolfe Island and a "quick" visit
> to the Wolfe Island Bakery
>
> Not decided on a dinner menu.

I lucked out yesterday. there was a threatening sky as I headed out for my
9 am riding lesson. I got the horse tacked up just in time to hear the
pouring rain hitting the barn roof. It lasted less than 5 minutes, just
long enough to soak the arena and keep the dust down. The rain stayed away
for the rest of my lesson. It was barely warm enough for the polo shirt i
was wearing, but I was working hard enough to generate some body heat. I
finished my lesson, put the tack away, but the horse away, started driving
home and hit some heavy rain. It cleared up later in the afternoon and
then the sun came out in time for me to grill my shish kebabs outside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:21 am, Biff > wrote:
> Today we are having a pot luck picnic on the Toronto Islands I'm
> bringing my shrimp/pasta salad,> I had no lemons so I used lime juice
> instead. It tastes okay, but it's really different, not as sharp so
> added some Trinadanian pepper sauce. Hope this will work...Biff

Happy Victoria Day to all our friends who are lucky enough to
celebrate it today.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:

>>> It is a much better day for it than we had yesterday. I am about to
>>> hop on my bike and ride over to a local stable to watch a horse
>>> show. As I ride over the crest the Niagara Escarpment I will be
>>> able to see Toronto across the lake so I will wave in your
>>> direction. If it is really clear I will be able to look back and
>>> see the mountains ( hills?) of western NY.
>>>
>>> I have a big rack of ribs thawing and will cook them when I get
>>> home.

>> Yes a lot better weather, cycling on Wolfe Island and a "quick" visit
>> to the Wolfe Island Bakery

Now you have got me thinking about driving up to the bakery in
Merrickviille. Had been considering going the other way to Westport. Will
probably spend the day doing much needed cleaning though! Hate making the
decision between fun - work... run - work... fun - responsibility.. ACK!

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> Happy Victoria Day to all our friends who are lucky enough to
> celebrate it today.
>
> maxine in ri

What are the traditions of Victoria Day? It's on my calendar at work,
but since I am not in Canada, it is not celebrated here and my friend
and were wondering what it is all about.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caryn Nadelberg wrote:
>> maxine in ri wrote:
>>
>>> Happy Victoria Day to all our friends who are lucky enough to
>>> celebrate it today.
>>>
>>> maxine in ri
>>>

>> What are the traditions of Victoria Day? It's on my calendar at
>> work, but since I am not in Canada, it is not celebrated here and my
>> friend and were wondering what it is all about.
>>
>> --

It is the first long weekend to kick off the summer. It was always looked
at in our neck of the woods as the "planting weekend". Getting the garden
and flowers in. It is also traditionally the "open the cottage weekend",
get the camp site ready for those who camp for the summer.

Debbie

--

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caryn Nadelberg wrote:

> What are the traditions of Victoria Day? It's on my calendar at work,
> but since I am not in Canada, it is not celebrated here and my friend
> and were wondering what it is all about.

It's the weekend when a lot of people plant their gardens since it is long
weekend and considered to be past the risk of frost in most of the country.
For the younger crowd it is party time. There are some fireworks displays.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> What are the traditions of Victoria Day? It's on my calendar at
>>> work, but since I am not in Canada, it is not celebrated here and my
>>> friend and were wondering what it is all about.
>>>
>>> --

> It is the first long weekend to kick off the summer. It was always looked
> at in our neck of the woods as the "planting weekend". Getting the garden
> and flowers in. It is also traditionally the "open the cottage weekend",
> get the camp site ready for those who camp for the summer.
>
> Debbie

Thanks for the info. It is a good planting time around here too and
this coming weekend of Memorial Day is kind of a start to the summer
even though it is supposed to be a day to remember fallen soldiers, etc.

I would love to have a cottage to open!

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
www.carynen.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Caryn Nadelberg wrote:

> Thanks for the info. It is a good planting time around here too and
> this coming weekend of Memorial Day is kind of a start to the summer
> even though it is supposed to be a day to remember fallen soldiers, etc.
>
> I would love to have a cottage to open!

I would love to have a cottage to open too. What I would not want is to
have to battle the long weekend traffic to get back and forth. I envy the
cottage owners who are retired and able to get back and forth on alternate
days, and those who work compressed work weeks and can make the trip a day
or two after the millions of others making the trek.

Last year we went up to a friend's cottage and stayed until 11 pm, planning
to slip back after the rush. We thought we had timed it well when we went
out the cottage road to the highway and there was not a car in sight.
Within a few minutes I was overtaken by a swarm of cars that came up from
behind me. A half hour along we ran into major congestion for another 60
miles.

[OT] Happy Victoria Day Roy[_4_] General Cooking 40 28-05-2016 08:40 AM
Black Saturday in Victoria, 1 year on. Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 03-02-2010 11:30 PM
Victoria Island beer Dukester Beer 4 16-04-2007 11:05 PM
Chateau Victoria Young Martle Wine 4 04-05-2004 04:07 PM
Victoria Sandwich Darrell Grainger Baking 6 21-01-2004 10:29 AM