Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tapioca pearls--OOPS

I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them together,
then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking. Thinking the
protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly and it turned
out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such a stupid move?

Rich
Ranch Belago, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <wPb%h.3104$rm.635@trndny03>,
"Richard Hollenbeck" > wrote:

> I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them together,
> then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking. Thinking the
> protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly and it turned
> out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such a stupid move?

Forgive me, but the best solution is to read *all* the directions first.
I'd guess that beating some more egg whites until stiff and folding them
in at the end might make a positive difference. But I don't know. Is
this a troll? I'm so bad at spotting trolls.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Hollenbeck wrote:

> I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them together,
> then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking. Thinking the
> protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly and it turned
> out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such a stupid move?

That is not a major sin with tapioca. It still makes pudding. If you whip
the egg whites and add them to the hot pudding it gives it a fluffier
texture. Not everyone likes that fluffy texture, but what the heck, not
everyone likes tapioca.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Richard Hollenbeck" > wrote in message
>I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them
>together, then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking.
>Thinking the protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly
>and it turned out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such
>a stupid move?
>
> Rich
> Ranch Belago, CA

Just enjoy it! Traditional tapioca recipes seem to call for folding in the
beaten whites, but not all do. Whites just make the pudd fluffier. If I'm in
a hurry I do the whole-egg version and find it just as tasty.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Richard Hollenbeck wrote:
> I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them together,
> then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking. Thinking the
> protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly and it turned
> out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such a stupid move?
>
> Rich
> Ranch Belago, CA

The tapioca package used to have both recipes--for separating the eggs
and for using whole eggs. I don't think you did anything wrong or stupid.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 May 2007 03:19:56 GMT, "Richard Hollenbeck"
> wrote:

>I forgot to separate the egg whites from the yolks. I cooked them together,
>then I added the sugar in the last five minutes of cooking. Thinking the
>protein in the whites would coagulate, I stirred consistantly and it turned
>out okay, to my surprise. What is the best solution to such a stupid move?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you think you did 'wrong'...

Tapioca pudding question (bulk tapioca) [email protected] General Cooking 15 18-12-2019 08:01 PM
Pearls Among Swine Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 21-04-2010 05:13 PM
potato pearls MG General Cooking 4 12-12-2005 05:58 AM
Tapioca recipe for bulk tapioca Franky General Cooking 0 21-10-2003 02:44 AM
Drinks with tapioca pearls? Franfogel General Cooking 7 08-10-2003 03:56 AM