Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Great eggs with tough shell lining

We came across a source for really good free range eggs. When broken onto a plate, the yolk stands
high and the whole egg looks vastly more wholesome and tastes great. The shell is robust. None of
that is a problem.

What is a problem is the thickness of the inner lining of the shell. I have gotten more shell, and
broken more yolks, fighting with the egg which is cracked, but will not open because the inner part
is still intact. I have tried cracking it on the counter (recommended by lotsa people to prevent
shell fragment in egg) and on the rim of the pan. If I hit hard enough to fracture the membrane it
quite often results in a broken yolk as well.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 4:29 pm, Gualtier Malde > wrote:
> We came across a source for really good free range eggs. When broken onto a plate, the yolk stands
> high and the whole egg looks vastly more wholesome and tastes great. The shell is robust. None of
> that is a problem.
>
> What is a problem is the thickness of the inner lining of the shell. I have gotten more shell, and
> broken more yolks, fighting with the egg which is cracked, but will not open because the inner part
> is still intact. I have tried cracking it on the counter (recommended by lotsa people to prevent
> shell fragment in egg) and on the rim of the pan. If I hit hard enough to fracture the membrane it
> quite often results in a broken yolk as well.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

Don't hit it too hard, then use a sharp knife to pierce the membrane.
Eggs that are that fresh are a bitch that way. They're even worse for
boiled eggs. You can't peel them.
It's not the free range aspect, it's the freshness. Leave them in the
fridge for a few weeks. The only downside will be the yolk not
standing so high.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 27, 6:29�pm, Gualtier Malde > wrote:
> We came across a source for really good free range eggs. *When broken onto a plate, the yolk stands
> high and the whole egg looks vastly more wholesome and tastes great. *The shell is robust. *None of
> that is a problem.
>
> What is a problem is the thickness of the inner lining of the shell. *I have gotten more shell, and
> broken more yolks, fighting with the egg which is cracked, but will not open because the inner part
> is still intact. *I have tried cracking it on the counter (recommended by lotsa people to prevent
> shell fragment in egg) and on the rim of the pan. *If I hit hard enough to fracture the membrane it
> quite often results in a broken yolk as well.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

Hmm, boiled eggs. hehe

Seriously, try holding the egg in your open cupped palm and give the
egg a sharp, well controled rap with a knife blade... attacking in
this position the yolk is less likely to get struck... for safety
practice with the back edge of a knife, the front thin section. Quite
a few people use this method regardless the egg... the blade needn't
be sharp, in fact the [butter] knives from your set of flatware work
well. If your egg membranes are especially tough rap the egg again to
increase the length of the slit around the circumference.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Apr 27, 6:29�pm, Gualtier Malde > wrote:
>> We came across a source for really good free range eggs. When broken onto a plate, the yolk stands
>> high and the whole egg looks vastly more wholesome and tastes great. The shell is robust. None of
>> that is a problem.
>>
>> What is a problem is the thickness of the inner lining of the shell. I have gotten more shell, and
>> broken more yolks, fighting with the egg which is cracked, but will not open because the inner part
>> is still intact. I have tried cracking it on the counter (recommended by lotsa people to prevent
>> shell fragment in egg) and on the rim of the pan. If I hit hard enough to fracture the membrane it
>> quite often results in a broken yolk as well.
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions?

> Hmm, boiled eggs. hehe
>
> Seriously, try holding the egg in your open cupped palm and give the
> egg a sharp, well controled rap with a knife blade... attacking in
> this position the yolk is less likely to get struck... for safety
> practice with the back edge of a knife, the front thin section. Quite
> a few people use this method regardless the egg... the blade needn't
> be sharp, in fact the [butter] knives from your set of flatware work
> well. If your egg membranes are especially tough rap the egg again to
> increase the length of the slit around the circumference.
>
> Sheldon

Couple of good ideas, and explanation. Thank you.

Chuck