Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Network Awards -- Reactions?

I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

Ken K.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"
> wrote:

>I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

Here's one reaction:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jed" > wrote

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"
> > wrote:
>
>>I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

> Here's one reaction:
>
> http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

Well, that was a riot. Ain't it the truth. I watched it in fast forward
after someone said Wegman's won best supermarket. I was happy
to see that guy win a scholarship to the CIA. This was an awful
show. Food Network has lost their way.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am so glad to see others reactions to this..I could only bare a few minutes at a time, the awards given were so lame that I saw that I hoped to read here tomorrow about something good on the show. I saw Emeril get an award and fawning for being great "yawn" and Rachel has either had to much botox or has glued that smiley face on herself. The show seemed to be half for hailing the food network regulars and maybe promoting some who were not doing so well or something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 7:15 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Jed" > wrote
>
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"
> > > wrote:

> >>I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

> > Here's one reaction:

> >http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

> Well, that was a riot. Ain't it the truth. I watched it in fast forward
> after someone said Wegman's won best supermarket. I was happy
> to see that guy win a scholarship to the CIA. This was an awful
> show. Food Network has lost their way.
>
> nancy

It was pretty much on target, but I have to say I really like Robert
"Muscleman" Irvine, the "Dinner Impossible" guy. What can I say, I
find it very entertaining - not particularly enlightening as far as
specific cooking goes, but entertaining ... that's why FTV Nighttime
now is "way more than cooking," as they brag about it. I also like
Ace of Cakes. Bite me. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jed" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"
> > wrote:
>
>>I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

> Here's one reaction:
>
> http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

Wow! I spent over an hour reading the article and the comments --Thank You.

Ken K

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote

>On Apr 19, 7:15 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Jed" > wrote
>
> > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"
> > > wrote:

> >>I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.

> > Here's one reaction:

> >http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

>> Well, that was a riot. Ain't it the truth. I watched it in fast forward
>> after someone said Wegman's won best supermarket. I was happy
>> to see that guy win a scholarship to the CIA. This was an awful
>> show. Food Network has lost their way.

>It was pretty much on target, but I have to say I really like Robert
>"Muscleman" Irvine, the "Dinner Impossible" guy. What can I say, I
>find it very entertaining - not particularly enlightening as far as
>specific cooking goes, but entertaining ... that's why FTV Nighttime
>now is "way more than cooking," as they brag about it. I also like
>Ace of Cakes. Bite me. ;-)

Do I actually have to??! Actually, Ace of Cakes is amusing, but
I don't have any interest in actually eating one. Between the fondant
or whatever that stuff is, and the manhandling of any cake part, I'm
not sure they are meant for food.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 12:02 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote
>

> >On Apr 19, 7:15 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > "Jed" > wrote

> > > On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:39 -0700, "kenkozak"

> > > Here's one reaction:

> > >http://blog.ruhlman.com/2007/04/the_fabulous_fo.html

> >> Well, that was a riot. Ain't it the truth. I watched it in fast forward
> >> after someone said Wegman's won best supermarket. I was happy
> >> to see that guy win a scholarship to the CIA. This was an awful
> >> show. Food Network has lost their way.

> >It was pretty much on target, but I have to say I really like Robert
> >"Muscleman" Irvine, the "Dinner Impossible" guy. What can I say, I
> >find it very entertaining - not particularly enlightening as far as
> >specific cooking goes, but entertaining ... that's why FTV Nighttime
> >now is "way more than cooking," as they brag about it. I also like
> >Ace of Cakes. Bite me. ;-)

> Do I actually have to??! Actually, Ace of Cakes is amusing, but
> I don't have any interest in actually eating one. Between the fondant
> or whatever that stuff is, and the manhandling of any cake part, I'm
> not sure they are meant for food.
>
> nancy- Hide quoted text -

That's exactly how I feel about it - you notice right away, that's
it's not "all about the cake." It's all about Duff, his strange
friends/workers, and the outward appearance of the cake. Still,
there's something fascinating about watching him.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 said...

> On Apr 20, 12:02 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote
>>

>> >On Apr 19, 7:15 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> > "Jed" > wrote

forw
> ard
>> >It was pretty much on target, but I have to say I really like Robert
>> >"Muscleman" Irvine, the "Dinner Impossible" guy. What can I say, I
>> >find it very entertaining - not particularly enlightening as far as
>> >specific cooking goes, but entertaining ... that's why FTV Nighttime
>> >now is "way more than cooking," as they brag about it. I also like
>> >Ace of Cakes. Bite me. ;-)

>> Do I actually have to??! Actually, Ace of Cakes is amusing, but
>> I don't have any interest in actually eating one. Between the fondant
>> or whatever that stuff is, and the manhandling of any cake part, I'm
>> not sure they are meant for food.
>>
>> nancy- Hide quoted text -

> That's exactly how I feel about it - you notice right away, that's
> it's not "all about the cake." It's all about Duff, his strange
> friends/workers, and the outward appearance of the cake. Still,
> there's something fascinating about watching him.
>
> N.

I figure their cakes are just promotional cakes. The cakes seem to sit out
for days (maybe they chill them off-camera?). I've never seen folks
actually eating them. They ARE cool looking cakes!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Less than impressed. A ridiculous exercise in Food Network self-promotion.

--
Interests:

Homebrewing - currently brewing Muntons Porter and Coopers Pale Ale
Chainmail - currently working on arms for a hauberk using 6mm split
metal rings
Dogs - "Dad" to Smokey, an 8-year old grey toy poodle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Beer Drinking Dog > wrote:

> Less than impressed. A ridiculous exercise in Food Network self-promotion.

All those awards shows are ridiculous exercises in self-promotion. When
I saw the ad for this awards show, I thought to myself, who cares? Same
as with the Tony, Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, and other awards shows?
Why in the world would anyone care what a bunch of elitists think of
movies, TV shows, music, books, whatever?

I like what I like and I couldn't care less if something has won an
award or some critical acclaim. The status of something to win an award
akes no difference to me in my decision making process to do anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kenkozak" > wrote in message
. ..
> I "missed" them. What happened? Your reactions please.
>
> Ken K.

I caught on of probably umpteen repeats today while I was trying to bring
some semblance of order to my apartment. It kind of reminded me of a
glorified "Top Five"
(http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show...D_9998,00.html) I really
didn't pay enough attention to know if Bobby Rivers was there or not.

Brian Christiansen