Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default about Cook's Illustrated magazine?

Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?

About six weeks ago I sent off for a free issue to potentially
subscribe, and it arrived today. It's the March/April 2007 issue with
the onions painting on the cover.

My take on the magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations, but I'd much
prefer color photographs instead of black-and-white. I did notice the
small color photos of the main recipes inside the back cover, but those
leave a lot to be desired (IMO). There are several recipes that I will
make when time allows, but in the meantime, I'll feast with my eyes
(now, if only those photos were in color <g>)!

Sky, who subscribes to way too many magazines
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?

I can't say that I've ever felt the lack of color to be any detractor to
my enjoyment nor my culinary education. I like the simplicity, I think?
I like Cooks Illustrated not unlike the way I like Consumer's Report.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote in message > My take on the
magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations, but I'd much
> prefer color photographs instead of black-and-white. I did notice the
> small color photos of the main recipes inside the back cover, but those
> leave a lot to be desired (IMO).

I suppose those drawings and paintings are a bit of a throwback, but I
actually enjoy them. Of course, to make the mouth water and get one excited
about a recipe I'd agree that a food stylist and color photos would have
more power. Nevertheless, I do love the magazine's old fashioned style as
it is. To me the illustrations are beautifully done, and I admire them on
their own.

Illustration style aside, however, I find their scientific method approach
to alternative ways of doing things very appealing. I learn a great deal
about which things work and why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?
>
> About six weeks ago I sent off for a free issue to potentially
> subscribe, and it arrived today. It's the March/April 2007 issue with
> the onions painting on the cover.
>
> My take on the magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations, but I'd much
> prefer color photographs instead of black-and-white. I did notice the
> small color photos of the main recipes inside the back cover, but those
> leave a lot to be desired (IMO). There are several recipes that I will
> make when time allows, but in the meantime, I'll feast with my eyes
> (now, if only those photos were in color <g>)!
>
> Sky, who subscribes to way too many magazines

If I recall, they have a small photo of the finished recipe on the
inside back cover. THere is only color on the covers, no inside pages.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 10:53 pm, Skyhooks > wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?
>
> About six weeks ago I sent off for a free issue to potentially
> subscribe, and it arrived today. It's the March/April 2007 issue with
> the onions painting on the cover.
>
> My take on the magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations, but I'd much
> prefer color photographs instead of black-and-white. I did notice the
> small color photos of the main recipes inside the back cover, but those
> leave a lot to be desired (IMO). There are several recipes that I will
> make when time allows, but in the meantime, I'll feast with my eyes
> (now, if only those photos were in color <g>)!
>
> Sky, who subscribes to way too many magazines

Color is much more expensive. They don't take advertisements.
The math is pretty straightforward.

How are you on old black-and-white movies?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?
>
> About six weeks ago I sent off for a free issue to potentially
> subscribe, and it arrived today. It's the March/April 2007 issue with
> the onions painting on the cover.
>
> My take on the magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations, but I'd much
> prefer color photographs instead of black-and-white. I did notice the
> small color photos of the main recipes inside the back cover, but those
> leave a lot to be desired (IMO). There are several recipes that I will
> make when time allows, but in the meantime, I'll feast with my eyes
> (now, if only those photos were in color <g>)!
>
> Sky, who subscribes to way too many magazines

I just got a subscription as a gift from my sister,
although I have sent away for free trial issues in
the past, but decided it was way too expensive to
subscribe. Anyway, when I saw your question I thought
about it and I couldn't answer it. I never really noticed
whether the photos are in color. On reading other
people's replies I see that they are b/w photos. Gotta
check it out when I get home tonight. Anyway maybe it
didn't phase me because I'm a photographer whose preference
is to work in black and white. Not to mention I grew up
in an era when there were more b/w movies. I had a young
friend some years ago who was born in the late 60's but
who absolutely loved and knew all the musice from the
60s' and early 70's, yet when he saw his first classic
b/w movie, Citizen Kane, he was very disappointed. He
couldn't understand why everyone thought it was such a
great movie. He hadn't realized it would be b/w.
The lack of color ruined it for him. He grew up in
an era whenre everything was in color and had never
developed an appreciation for b/w.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Skyhooks wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?

You get used to the b&w. Not seeing everything in glorious, enhanced
color makes me think about the recipe and imagine the blend of flavors
more than if I had seen a gorgeous photo.

I'm OK with it because I suspect that color photography would greatly
increase the subscription price to something I'm unwilling to pay.

Some of their recipes have become standout classics in our house.
Others have been too complex or fussy to make me want to try them.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester > wrote in message
> Skyhooks wrote:
> > Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its
> > photographs in the articles always printed in
> > black-and-white only?

> You get used to the b&w. Not seeing everything in
> glorious, enhanced color makes me think about the
> recipe and imagine the blend of flavors more than if
> I had seen a gorgeous photo.

I'm in the other school of the "gimme-color-photos." I found the
b&w annoying, enough so that I let my subscription lapse after two
years.

[snip]
> Some of their recipes have become standout classics
> in our house. Others have been too complex or fussy
> to make me want to try them.

I can't think of a single recipe I used during that two-year
subscription that ever got a second try in Castle Ranger... As you
point out, there are some that are just "too fussy to make" and
that takes away the joy of cooking for me. Simple doesn't always
work, either, but overly complex primping and preening is wasted
on all but a few.

It's the only magazine that was recycled enmasse when my
subscription ran out.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote:
> I just got a subscription as a gift from my sister,
> although I have sent away for free trial issues in
> the past, but decided it was way too expensive to
> subscribe. Anyway, when I saw your question I thought
> about it and I couldn't answer it. I never really noticed
> whether the photos are in color. On reading other
> people's replies I see that they are b/w photos. Gotta
> check it out when I get home tonight. Anyway maybe it
> didn't phase me because I'm a photographer whose preference
> is to work in black and white. Not to mention I grew up
> in an era when there were more b/w movies. I had a young
> friend some years ago who was born in the late 60's but
> who absolutely loved and knew all the musice from the
> 60s' and early 70's, yet when he saw his first classic
> b/w movie, Citizen Kane, he was very disappointed. He
> couldn't understand why everyone thought it was such a
> great movie. He hadn't realized it would be b/w.
> The lack of color ruined it for him. He grew up in
> an era whenre everything was in color and had never
> developed an appreciation for b/w.

I was raised when black and white was common also, so I got quite used to
it. My parents didn't get a color TV until around 1980, which was well after
I was out on my own. The one movie were we were totally missing the impact
of color was the Wizard of Oz. At our house, Oz was just as black and white
as Kansas...the Emerald City was certainly not green. The one point that I
wondered about was the "horse of a different color". That's the only part
where I got the feeling I was missing something. I didn't see the Wizard of
Oz in color until I was an adult.

Recently I got a netflix subscription, and have been watching a lot of long
lost sci-fi movies and shows that were in black and white. I don't feel that
they are any worse for the lack of color.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote:
> I can't think of a single recipe I used during that two-year subscription
> that ever got a second try in Castle Ranger... As you point out, there are
> some that are just "too fussy to make" and that takes away the joy of
> cooking for me. Simple doesn't always work, either, but overly complex
> primping and preening is wasted on all but a few.

It's funny, but I don't think I've used a single recipe either, and I've
been subscribing for eight years. But that's because of the way I cook. I
like all of the discussion about their experiments and the how and why of
the recipes. I then take that knowledge and ideas and apply it to recipes I
come up with on my own. I don't like magazines or cookbooks that are totally
recipes and no discussion because I hardly ever cook food "by the book".

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote:
> > I can't think of a single recipe I used during that
> > two-year subscription that ever got a second try
> > in Castle Ranger... As you point out, there are some that are
> > just "too fussy to make" and that
> > takes away the joy of cooking for me. Simple
> > doesn't always work, either, but overly complex primping and
> > preening is wasted on all but a few.
> >

> It's funny, but I don't think I've used a single recipe
> either, and I've been subscribing for eight years. But
> that's because of the way I cook. I like all of the
> discussion about their experiments and the how
> and why of the recipes. I then take that knowledge
> and ideas and apply it to recipes I come up with on
> my own. I don't like magazines or cookbooks that
> are totally recipes and no discussion because I
> hardly ever cook food "by the book".

I didn't mean to imply that I can't cook without having everything
laid out before me, either. Most of my cooking is through
experimentation after "listening" to the process and thinking of
better (or most often different) ways to do something. The list of
ingredients is the starting point not the be-all-end-all, either.

The Ranger
--
"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
Unknown

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 18, 9:53 pm, Skyhooks > wrote:
> Quick question about Cook's Illustrated magazine. Are its photographs
> in the articles always printed in black-and-white only?
>
> About six weeks ago I sent off for a free issue to potentially
> subscribe, and it arrived today. It's the March/April 2007 issue with
> the onions painting on the cover.
>
> My take on the magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> lack of color photos.

Sky,

I used to subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, but decided I like Cuisine
at Home more. The two are similar in approach, lack of advertising and
subscription price, and both have six issues per year. Cuisine at
Home, though seems to me to have more illustrations and all of them
are color photographs. Also, some of their articles are written by
chefs and other non-staff members, so you get more than the in-house
way of doing things. And from a personal POV, I'm more likely to cook
the sorts of things they feature, but that's a YMMV type of thing.

You can get a sample copy from their web site.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote

> Some of their recipes have become standout classics in our house. Others
> have been too complex or fussy to make me want to try them.

I love their smothered pork chops, though I haven't made
them myself. Has bacon crumbled on top, you know that's
gotta be good.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 11:58 am, dtwright37 > wrote:

> You can get a sample copy from their web site.
>
> David

Didn't make that clear. You can *view* a sample issue from their web
site. <www.cuisineathome.com>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dtwright37 wrote:

> I used to subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, but decided I like Cuisine
> at Home more. The two are similar in approach, lack of advertising and
> subscription price, and both have six issues per year. Cuisine at
> Home, though seems to me to have more illustrations and all of them
> are color photographs. Also, some of their articles are written by
> chefs and other non-staff members, so you get more than the in-house
> way of doing things. And from a personal POV, I'm more likely to cook
> the sorts of things they feature, but that's a YMMV type of thing.
>
> You can get a sample copy from their web site.
>
> David

As I already mentioned, I get way too many subscriptions for a lot of
magazines. "Cuisine at Home" is one of those, and I enjoy it very much
It's one magazine I don't butcher for its recipes.

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 10:12 am, Kate Connally > wrote:
He hadn't realized it would be b/w.
> The lack of color ruined it for him. He grew up in
> an era whenre everything was in color and had never
> developed an appreciation for b/w.
>
> Kate

A different perspective:
I grew up with b/w movies, watched many years of b/w television. The
first thing I ask when we receive movies that DH has ordered is: is it
in b/w? b/w almost ruins a movie for me; I always say that I wished
it had been made in color.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"anon" > wrote:

> "Skyhooks" > wrote in message > My take on the
> magazine? I enjoyed it but am rather taken aback by the
> > lack of color photos. I like the drawn illustrations,

> I suppose those drawings and paintings are a bit of a throwback, but I
> actually enjoy them.

I wonder if they're photographs to which a filter has been applied in
Photoshop.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> "anon" > wrote:

>> I suppose those drawings and paintings are a bit of a throwback, but I
>> actually enjoy them.

> I wonder if they're photographs to which a filter has been applied in
> Photoshop.

I don't think so, and they list the photographers and illustrator's
names.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:39:58 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> I went to a "gourmet" foods sale today and bought several
>cheeseball seasoning mixes.

You make cheeseballs? That's so retro!

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:09:21 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:39:58 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>
>> I went to a "gourmet" foods sale today and bought several
>>cheeseball seasoning mixes.

>You make cheeseballs? That's so retro!

Who cares if the're so retro, if they taste good.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 21:09:21 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:39:58 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I went to a "gourmet" foods sale today and bought several
> >>cheeseball seasoning mixes.

> >You make cheeseballs? That's so retro!

> Who cares if the're so retro, if they taste good.
>
> Christine

They are pretty tasty but I use them for part of my holiday gift
assortments.