Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

Default Converting a normal recipe to slow cooker

I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love
to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a little
expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as I'm not
keen to experiment too much.

Without listing all quantities it goes:
Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook
until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large red
onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to same pan.
Cook, stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan. Add 6 medium
quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp
sugar, 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock powder, 2 sprigs
fresh rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick. Simmer covered 1
1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded black olives,
simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2
tbsp chopped fresh mint.

What do you think? Can it be done?

Liz

Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
>I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love to
>try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a little
>expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as I'm not keen
>to experiment too much.
>
> Without listing all quantities it goes:
> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook until
> brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large red onion
> into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to same pan. Cook,
> stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan. Add 6 medium
> quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp sugar,
> 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock powder, 2 sprigs fresh
> rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick. Simmer covered 1 1/2
> hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded black olives, simmer
> about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp
> chopped fresh mint.
>
> What do you think? Can it be done?
>
> Liz

Well first you would still have to brown them in a stove top pan . There is
really not a lot of liquid so not sure if *I* would reduce the liquid at all.
--
Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo!

Come join us at The Dirty Old Ladies and The Dirty Old Men!

Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

"Laura" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Staycalm" > wrote in message
>>I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love
>>to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a
>>little expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as
>>I'm not keen to experiment too much.
>>
>> Without listing all quantities it goes:
>> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook
>> until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large
>> red onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to
>> same pan. Cook, stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan.
>> Add 6 medium quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato
>> paste, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock
>> powder, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon
>> stick. Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup
>> seeded black olives, simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2
>> tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint.
>>
>> What do you think? Can it be done?
>>
>> Liz
>>

> Well first you would still have to brown them in a stove top pan . There
> is really not a lot of liquid so not sure if *I* would reduce the liquid
> at all.
> --
> Laura

OK that's great. I'm cooking it tomorrow so will tell you how it goes in a
day or two.

Liz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
>I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love
>to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a little
>expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as I'm not
>keen to experiment too much.
>
> Without listing all quantities it goes:
> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook
> until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large
> red onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to
> same pan. Cook, stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan.
> Add 6 medium quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato
> paste, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock
> powder, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick.
> Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded
> black olives, simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp
> lemon juice and 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint.
>
> What do you think? Can it be done?
>
> Liz

I would brown the lamb, put it in the crock then brown the onions and garlic
and add as well. The spices and rest of veg, just add to the crock as well
as the liquids. Cook until about an hour before you plan on serving and add
the olives (to keep them from completely breaking down) and follow the
recipe for the lemon juice and mint.
Hope it works, that is how I would do it....I've converted other recipes and
haven't had too many flubs.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Staycalm" > wrote in message
>>I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love
>>to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a little
>>expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as I'm not
>>keen to experiment too much.
>>
>> Without listing all quantities it goes:
>> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook
>> until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large
>> red onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to
>> same pan. Cook, stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan.
>> Add 6 medium quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato
>> paste, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock
>> powder, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick.
>> Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded
>> black olives, simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp
>> lemon juice and 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint.
>>
>> What do you think? Can it be done?
>>
>> Liz
>>

> I would brown the lamb, put it in the crock then brown the onions and garlic
> and add as well. The spices and rest of veg, just add to the crock as well
> as the liquids. Cook until about an hour before you plan on serving and add
> the olives (to keep them from completely breaking down) and follow the
> recipe for the lemon juice and mint.
> Hope it works, that is how I would do it....I've converted other recipes and
> haven't had too many flubs.
> -ginny

the only other thing i could add is she might wish to reduce the liquid while
keeping the ratios the same reduce the total liquid a bit. It will not
evaporate at all from the crock pot also as small amount would likely from a
regular pot. But have NO idea how much u would want to reduce it and it does
not seem too necessary that u do. I might pull a little out when was done with
a ..syringe (is that the correct name fir that tool..looks wrong!) , if it
really seemed to need less. Or if i had time I might let it cook the last few
hours with the lid off if i was home - i.a. put it on at 8 remove lid for last 2
hours it cooking at 2. I am at home all day and can do that.

--
Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo!

Come join us at The Dirty Old Ladies and The Dirty Old Men!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Laura wrote on 03 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Staycalm" > wrote in message
> >>I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would
> >>dearly love to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb
> >>shank being a little expensive I need some advice about converting
> >>the recipe I have as I'm not keen to experiment too much.
> >>
> >> Without listing all quantities it goes:
> >> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and
> >> cook until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent
> >> paper.Cut 1 large red onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic
> >> and 2 tsp paprika to same pan. Cook, stirring until onions are just
> >> soft. Return lamb to pan. Add 6 medium quartered tomatoes, 3 large
> >> chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp sugar, 1 cup dry red
> >> wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock powder, 2 sprigs fresh
> >> rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick. Simmer covered
> >> 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded black
> >> olives, simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp
> >> lemon juice and 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint.
> >>
> >> What do you think? Can it be done?
> >>
> >> Liz
> >>

> > I would brown the lamb, put it in the crock then brown the onions
> > and garlic and add as well. The spices and rest of veg, just add to
> > the crock as well as the liquids. Cook until about an hour before
> > you plan on serving and add the olives (to keep them from completely
> > breaking down) and follow the recipe for the lemon juice and mint.
> > Hope it works, that is how I would do it....I've converted other
> > recipes and haven't had too many flubs.
> > -ginny
> >

> the only other thing i could add is she might wish to reduce the
> liquid while keeping the ratios the same reduce the total liquid a
> bit. It will not evaporate at all from the crock pot also as small
> amount would likely from a regular pot. But have NO idea how much u
> would want to reduce it and it does not seem too necessary that u do.
> I might pull a little out when was done with a ..syringe (is that the
> correct name fir that tool..looks wrong!) , if it really seemed to
> need less. Or if i had time I might let it cook the last few hours
> with the lid off if i was home - i.a. put it on at 8 remove lid for
> last 2 hours it cooking at 2. I am at home all day and can do that.

perhaps follow the recipe but remove say 2 tbsps from each liquid prior to
adding them to the crockpot. That would apprximate the loss from a covered
pan. So 1/2 cup water minus 2 tbsp. and 1 cup wine minus 2 tbsp.
Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> I have a lovely recipe "Olive citrus lamb shanks" that I would dearly love
> to try as a slow cooker recipe. With the price of lamb shank being a little
> expensive I need some advice about converting the recipe I have as I'm not
> keen to experiment too much.
>
> Without listing all quantities it goes:
> Toss 8 shanks in flour and pepper. Heat olive oil in large pan and cook
> until brown in batches. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.Cut 1 large red
> onion into wedges. Add onion, 4 cloves garlic and 2 tsp paprika to same pan.
> Cook, stirring until onions are just soft. Return lamb to pan. Add 6 medium
> quartered tomatoes, 3 large chopped carrots, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 2 tsp
> sugar, 1 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup water, 1 tbsp beef stock powder, 2 sprigs
> fresh rosemary, 3 lemon rind strips and a cinnamon stick. Simmer covered 1
> 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3/4 cup seeded black olives,
> simmer about 30 mins. Just before serving stir in 2 tbsp lemon juice and 2
> tbsp chopped fresh mint.
>
> What do you think? Can it be done?

I used my Mum's CP for the first time yesterday. From my vast experience :-P
I advise you to omit the water. Just brown the meat, saute the onion etc and
plop the lot in your CP. Reducing the wine by half might be a good move.
From my heavy afternoon of research on the subject, slow cookers don't allow
much liquid to evaporate, so if the gravy is runny in the morning it will be
runny at night.

My first foray was braised hogget. 1 kg diced hogget, browned. Sauteed 1
large onion, and some garlic. Added it all to the CP with a tin of diced
tomatoes and some rosemary, salt and pepper. At 2pm I added two smallish
Swede turnips, 3 carrots and a few sticks of celery (all chopped, of course).
Made dumplings 45 mins or so before tea. Yum...

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue