Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ideas for spring dessert?

A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.

Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
following criteria:

1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).

2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
potatoes, etc.

3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 10:00 am, Serene-O-Matic > wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

How about strawberry shortcakes? Bake some nice biscuits for them-
much better than Mary anns! Everything can be done ahead(except for
fresh whipped cream).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene-O-Matic" > wrote in message
>A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at some or
>other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and I oblige. I will
>probably take toffee this year because they asked, but I'm getting bored with
>toffee, and I'm hoping to start developing some other yummies to take to these
>things. I don't usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the following
> criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get there (one
> time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed up, and I had to
> elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there will be ham,
> waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people ask me to
> bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

Stop near the destination at any stupid market and buy enough Lemon Sorbet (
easily available), fresh mint and any fresh or frozen berries. Top each sorbet
with berries and a sprig of mint ( add a cookie if you want)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and I
> oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked, but
> I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start developing some
> other yummies to take to these things. I don't usually do many desserts,
> but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the following
> criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed up,
> and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there will be
> ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people ask
> me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

1. Cheesecake, plain, with a few fruit purees for a choice of toppings.

2. Angelfood cake with a tunnel hollowed out, filled with strawberries
in whipped cream. (Cut an inch off the top, hollow out some of the
bottom, fill and replace top. Dust with powdered sugar or frost with
more whipped cream.)

3. Tiramisu or zuppa anglais

4. Cream puffs

We seldom eat dessert these days, but when we do, they are worth the
calories!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

>> Serene-O-Matic wrote:

>>> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts?

> Responding again, but this is what I meant by a fruit torte thingy.
> Something similar to this:
> http://www.displayit-info.com/food/i...serts/2020.JPG
>
> kili

We used to make those in the 70's, with a sugar-cookie-dough crust or a
one-layer yellow cake baked in a fluted pan. The crust was topped with
either custard or vanilla pudding, seasonal fruit, and a glaze of melted
currant or apple jelly.

They were beautiful and quite popular. Haven't thought of them in years.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 12:00 pm, Serene-O-Matic > wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

Lemon Chiffon cake - easy to make ahead; easy traveling; no prep
necessary on site. It will be light yellow in color, like Easter-y
and spring-like. Garnish with (non-edible) lilacs, hyacinths, or
edible sugared African violets and nasturtiums.

Here's one recipe from Martha Stewart, who has never failed me:

Serving: Makes 1 seven-inch cake

* 3/4 Cup cake flour, (not self-rising)
* 1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 Teaspoon salt
* 3/4 Cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 3 large eggs, separated
* 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
* 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 2 Tablespoons grated lemon zest, (about 4 lemons)
* 1/2 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 Teaspoon cream of tartar
* Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Directions

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees;, and have ready an ungreased 7-inch
tube pan. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt,
and 3/4 cup granulated sugar; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vegetable oil, 1/3
cup water, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add reserved dry
ingredients, and beat until smooth.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites on medium
speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on high speed until soft
peaks form, about 1 minute. Gradually add remaining tablespoon of
granulated sugar; beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 2
minutes.
4. Gradually fold egg-white mixture into the batter; start by
folding in one-third, then fold in the remaining two-thirds. Pour
batter into pan. Using an offset spatula, smooth the top. Bake until a
cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is
golden, about 45 minutes.
5. Remove cake from oven; invert the pan over a glass soda bottle
for 2 hours to cool. Turn cake right-side up. Run a table knife all
the way down between cake and pan; invert again, and remove cake. Dust
cake with confectioners' sugar before serving.

********

I believe Better Homes & Gardens has a lemon chiffon layer cake
recipe, but I don't have it here. It's very good.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 2:06 pm, Puester > wrote:
> kilikini wrote:

> > Responding again, but this is what I meant by a fruit torte thingy.
> > Something similar to this:
> >http://www.displayit-info.com/food/i...serts/2020.JPG

> > kili

> We used to make those in the 70's, with a sugar-cookie-dough crust or a
> one-layer yellow cake baked in a fluted pan. The crust was topped with
> either custard or vanilla pudding, seasonal fruit, and a glaze of melted
> currant or apple jelly.
>
> They were beautiful and quite popular. Haven't thought of them in years.
>
> gloria p

I think they are the result of branching out from that Philly cream
cheese/cherry pie filling type "pizza" dessert that was so popular
back in the day.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:

> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)

Rhubarb pie. It is the first spring crop and makes a fantastic pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

What about a key-lime pie? Or, I sort of agree with Dimitri regarding
something berry-ish. Strawberries are in season and blueberries are coming
into season. Oh, how about one of those fruit tarte-like thingy's that's
custard underneat, fruit on top, with a glaze! It's not only an eye-popper,
but all the fruit for it should be in season!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Serene-O-Matic wrote:
>> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
>> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
>> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
>> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
>> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
>> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>>
>> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
>> following criteria:
>>
>> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
>> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
>> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>>
>> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
>> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
>> potatoes, etc.
>>
>> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
>> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>>
>> Serene

> 1. Cheesecake, plain, with a few fruit purees for a choice of
> toppings.
>
> 2. Angelfood cake with a tunnel hollowed out, filled with strawberries
> in whipped cream. (Cut an inch off the top, hollow out some of the
> bottom, fill and replace top. Dust with powdered sugar or frost with
> more whipped cream.)
>
> 3. Tiramisu or zuppa anglais
>
> 4. Cream puffs
>
> We seldom eat dessert these days, but when we do, they are worth the
> calories!
>
> gloria p

Responding again, but this is what I meant by a fruit torte thingy.
Something similar to this:
http://www.displayit-info.com/food/i...serts/2020.JPG

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> kilikini wrote:

>> Responding again, but this is what I meant by a fruit torte thingy.
>> Something similar to this:
>> http://www.displayit-info.com/food/i...serts/2020.JPG
>>
>> kili
>>

> We used to make those in the 70's, with a sugar-cookie-dough crust or
> a one-layer yellow cake baked in a fluted pan. The crust was topped
> with either custard or vanilla pudding, seasonal fruit, and a glaze
> of melted currant or apple jelly.
>
> They were beautiful and quite popular. Haven't thought of them in
> years.
>
> gloria p

But they're so good! And relatively easy.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

Is refrigerator space an issue? I'd say a big bowl of lemon mousse swirled
with tart raspberry sauce if not. Or lemon curd tartlets made with homemade
lemon curd.

If it is a problem, a fruit tart of some sort, such as fresh apricot or
pear/almond, is always nice. Or something lemon that doesn't need
refrigerating, like [good] lemon bars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote :

>>> Responding again, but this is what I meant by a fruit torte thingy.
>>> Something similar to this:
>>> http://www.displayit-info.com/food/i...serts/2020.JPG
>>>

>> They were beautiful and quite popular. Haven't thought of them in
>> years.
>>
>> gloria p

> But they're so good! And relatively easy.

Funny, I was craving just this custard and fruit combination the
other night. I think I will forgo the crust, though, and just have
custard or pudding with sliced strawberries and kiwi. Mmmm!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

Individual strawberry shortcakes? Can be easily assembled once you arrive
and I don't think cooking is required.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
> Serene

For Easter dinner, we're making the Peeps pie - it was so cute last
year! Not sure what color/flavor, but that's a sure thing for Easter
from now on.

Otherwise....how about barb's rhubarb custard cake? Or any type of
cake travels well - I really like the lemon-blueberry pound cake from
Moosewood (the orignial). Or an apple cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on 29 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Serene-O-Matic wrote:
> > A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> > some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> > I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> > but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> > developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> > usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
> >
> > Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> > following criteria:
> >
> > 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> > there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> > up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the
> > stove/microwave).
> >
> > 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> > will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> > potatoes, etc.
> >
> > 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> > ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
> >
> > Serene

> Individual strawberry shortcakes? Can be easily assembled once you
> arrive and I don't think cooking is required.
>
> Jill

grilled fresh pineapple slices basted in a rum&butter&brown sugar sauce
(equal ratio of sugar and butter with rum to taste.). Grill and baste
frequently the pineapple...put in tupperware with any left over basting
liquid as finishing sauce...take to party

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote on 29 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> One time on Usenet, Mr Libido Incognito > said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > grilled fresh pineapple slices basted in a rum&butter&brown sugar
> > sauce (equal ratio of sugar and butter with rum to taste.). Grill
> > and baste frequently the pineapple...put in tupperware with any left
> > over basting liquid as finishing sauce...take to party

> Oooooh, that sounds soo good, Alan! Do you put them in the fridge?
>
> I need something to take to my aunt's house on Easter, I may just make
> this. Yum... :-)

I just made the recipe up...So Check on the sauce proportions before you
make it...I think the refidgeration is only need if the trip is a long one.
Believe warmed would be the best for serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> jmcquown wrote on 29 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Serene-O-Matic wrote:
>>> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
>>> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
>>> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
>>> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
>>> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
>>> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>>>
>>> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
>>> following criteria:
>>>
>>> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
>>> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
>>> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the
>>> stove/microwave).
>>>
>>> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
>>> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
>>> potatoes, etc.
>>>
>>> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
>>> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>>>
>>> Serene

>> Individual strawberry shortcakes? Can be easily assembled once you
>> arrive and I don't think cooking is required.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> grilled fresh pineapple slices basted in a rum&butter&brown sugar
> sauce (equal ratio of sugar and butter with rum to taste.). Grill and
> baste frequently the pineapple...put in tupperware with any left over
> basting liquid as finishing sauce...take to party

Oooooooh, that would be a good idea. Maybe to toss on top of a slice of
angel food cake?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Mr Libido Incognito > said:
> Little Malice wrote on 29 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > One time on Usenet, Mr Libido Incognito > said:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > grilled fresh pineapple slices basted in a rum&butter&brown sugar
> > > sauce (equal ratio of sugar and butter with rum to taste.). Grill
> > > and baste frequently the pineapple...put in tupperware with any left
> > > over basting liquid as finishing sauce...take to party

> > Oooooh, that sounds soo good, Alan! Do you put them in the fridge?
> >
> > I need something to take to my aunt's house on Easter, I may just make
> > this. Yum... :-)
> >

> I just made the recipe up...So Check on the sauce proportions before you
> make it...I think the refidgeration is only need if the trip is a long one.
> Believe warmed would be the best for serving.

Thanks!!

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about a 'Pina Colada Cheesecake?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:00:24 -0700, Serene-O-Matic
> wrote:

>A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
>some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
>I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
>but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
>developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
>usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
>Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
>following criteria:
>
>1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
>there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
>up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
>2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
>will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
>potatoes, etc.
>
>3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
>ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)
>
>Serene

I think this might fit into your criteria. If not I hope you try it
sometime. It's a great spring, summer dish.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fruit In Ginger Syurp

desserts

1 lemon
1/2 cup water
3 slices ginger root -- sliced 1/3' thick
4 whole star anise
or 1/8 cup star anise pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice -- or to taste
3 nectarines -- firm & ripe
about 1/4 pound
9 plums
1 cup blueberries -- picked over

With vegetable peeler, remove 3, 3xl/2 inch pieces zest from the
lemon. In a saucepan bring the water to a boil with zest, ginger root,
star anise, sugar and one teaspoon lemon juice. Simmer stirring until
sugar is dissolved. Cool syrup and discard star anise. (syrup may be
made two days in advanced and chilled, covered)
Halve and pit nectarines and plums. Cut nectarines into wedges. In a
bowl toss cut fruit together with blueberries, syrup and remaining
lemon juice. Mixture may be made 8 hours ahead and chilled, covered.
Gourmet Sept '97

Koko
---
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
updated 3/24 added mole page

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:00:24 -0700, Serene-O-Matic
> wrote:
<snip-o-matic>

>Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
>following criteria:
>
>1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
>there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
>up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
>2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
>will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
>potatoes, etc.
>
>3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
>ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)

I saw lots of good *yummy* suggestions.... but cheese cake and
angelfood cake with strawberries are at the top of my list. However,
instead of whole strawberries with that angel food cake, cut them up
at home and let macerate in sugar to create a sauce. Bring your
berries to the party in a covered bowl (put them in the refrigerator
until dessert is on), open at serving time.

Nobody has mentioned chocolate decadence yet, so let me put in a plug
for that. I'm sure you've got a recipe for it somewhere. If not, try
http://tinylink.com/?bRNCbCdpz6

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene-O-Matic wrote:

> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? *They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get there
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner
>
> 3) Is mega yummy

1) Fresh ripe pineapple.

2) Champagne.

3) Chocolate Bunnies.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene asked:

> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the following
> criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get there
> (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed up, and I
> had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there will be
> ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people ask me
> to bring that's not toffee. :-)

I'd go with a strawberry tart. Make a tart shell using a pate sucree recipe
which contains cream cheese. (I have such a recipe at home, if Google
doesn't turn one up.) In a mixer, whip cream cheese with sugar until
thoroughly broken down, then add cream and whip until light and a bit
fluffy. Spoon mixture into tart shell and level off. Cut the tops off
strawberries and put them into the cheese mixture cut-side-down. To achieve
good coverage, it might be necessary to further halve or quarter some of the
strawberries.

You can glaze the tart, but it's not necessary.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Turns out we're not going to Easter dinner after all, but thanks to
everyone for the dessert ideas. I'm going to try some of them at
home and get ready for the next get-together. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene-O-Matic > wrote:

> A few times a year, Carin's family gets together for lunch/dinner at
> some or other holiday. Usually, they ask me to bring my toffee, and
> I oblige. I will probably take toffee this year because they asked,
> but I'm getting bored with toffee, and I'm hoping to start
> developing some other yummies to take to these things. I don't
> usually do many desserts, but I'll start trying stuff.
>
> Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the
> following criteria:
>
> 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get
> there (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed
> up, and I had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).
>
> 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there
> will be ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed
> potatoes, etc.
>
> 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people
> ask me to bring that's not toffee. :-)

Probably too late, but maybe for next year? This is a Pesach dessert,
originally.

APPLE SALAD
4 apples, each a different variety. *Try to get some sweeter than
others. *
lemon juice
cinnamon
handful of walnuts
Squeeze juice of half a lemon or so in the bottom of a bowl. *Sprinkle
on some cinnamon and mix it in. *
Peel three of the apples (if you have a deep red one, leave the skin on
for colour), core and dice them. *Toss through the lemon juice and
cinnamon. *Mix in the walnuts.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 1, 4:18 am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Serene asked:
>
> > Anyone have ideas for Spring desserts? They should meet the following
> > criteria:

> > 1) Will travel well for an hour and require minimal prep once I get there
> > (one time, I took sticky pudding that needed the sauce warmed up, and I
> > had to elbow my way into the line for the stove/microwave).

> > 2) Will fit in well with a traditionalish Easter dinner -- there will be
> > ham, waldorf salad, green beans, appetizers, mashed potatoes, etc.

> > 3) Is mega yummy, so I can start having some other dish that people ask me
> > to bring that's not toffee. :-)

> I'd go with a strawberry tart. Make a tart shell using a pate sucree recipe
> which contains cream cheese. (I have such a recipe at home, if Google
> doesn't turn one up.) In a mixer, whip cream cheese with sugar until
> thoroughly broken down, then add cream and whip until light and a bit
> fluffy. Spoon mixture into tart shell and level off. Cut the tops off
> strawberries and put them into the cheese mixture cut-side-down. To achieve
> good coverage, it might be necessary to further halve or quarter some of the
> strawberries.
>
> You can glaze the tart, but it's not necessary.
>
> Bob

Wow, sounds really good - probably because I haven't had any
strawberries yet this year that weren't in yogurt...

Dessert ideas JBurns General Cooking 6 18-01-2014 11:51 PM
Ideas for Spring/Easter salad? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 34 09-04-2009 10:14 PM
SOS Dessert Ideas? ntantiques General Cooking 24 12-12-2008 05:01 PM
dessert ideas? Tracy[_2_] General Cooking 18 09-10-2008 10:07 PM
ISO: Thanksgiving dessert ideas! ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 1 13-11-2004 01:08 AM