Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default St Patty's Day Dinner

It got cold and rainy here this weekend so we wanted smoething a
little different than our usual irish dinner. This hit the spot. It
was fantastic!

Irish Potato Soup

4 T butter
4 T olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3 leeks, white and pale green parts only, rinsed well and thinly
sliced
3 large potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
1 3/4 cups chopped kale
1/4 cup chopped parsley
5 cups vegetable broth
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup cream or half & half

Toppings:
Chopped fresh chives or scallions
Shredded sharp Irish cheddar cheese

1. In a heavy-bottomed soup pot over low heat, melt the butter and oil
together, then add onion and leeks. Cover pot and allow vegetables to
"sweat" for 20 minutes.

2. Add potato, stirring to mix, then cover again and cook 15 minutes.
Stir in broth and salt and pepper to taste, and bring mixture to a
boil, then reduce heat and simmer soup 20 minutes, or until potato is
just tender.

3. Process soup with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth .
Whisk in cream.

4. Add greens and continue cooking on low 10 minutes, or until they
are well wilted. Do not allow to boil.

5. Top each bowl with shredded cheese and chopped chives.

Alongside I served a salad with lettuce, red cabbage, celery, apples,
red peppers, and toasted walnuts. Also warm sourdough. Shortbread
cookies for dessert......couldn't find the shamrock cutter this year
so i made stars with green frosting and green sugar sprinkles!