Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sign of Spring at last

Yes, Spring seems to be coming finally; temperatures in the 60s,
crocuses, snow drops and even a bank of flowering daffodils in
my neighbor. The following may be a bit OT for r.food.cooking
and I have only eaten goose a very few times.

I heard and saw 2 large flocks of geese heading north when I
went out for my walk this morning and it's good to see they
have not all stopped migrating, tho' perhaps they were only
going to Gaithersburg (about 10 miles away)! It was interesting
that one flock of about 100 were flying in the traditional
irregular V but the other, of about 200 had a fairly regular V
with a long single line extending backwards, just like an
arrow. There was what looked like a sergeant-major goose flying
outside the column but it was probably just a previous leader
making way to the end of the line.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Yes, Spring seems to be coming finally; temperatures in the 60s,
> crocuses, snow drops and even a bank of flowering daffodils in my
> neighbor. The following may be a bit OT for r.food.cooking and I have
> only eaten goose a very few times.
>
> I heard and saw 2 large flocks of geese heading north when I went out
> for my walk this morning and it's good to see they have not all stopped
> migrating, tho' perhaps they were only going to Gaithersburg (about 10
> miles away)! It was interesting that one flock of about 100 were flying
> in the traditional irregular V but the other, of about 200 had a fairly
> regular V with a long single line extending backwards, just like an
> arrow. There was what looked like a sergeant-major goose flying outside
> the column but it was probably just a previous leader making way to the
> end of the line.
>

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

It's funny you should mention this as DH and myself noticed that in the
middle of the night and all this morning. The geese are flying north by
the hundreds. Most of the night we heard them and today huge long Vee's
are everywhere. Lots of honking in the traffic. Our three feet of snow
is melting in a hurry, shoveled paths are starting to show ground level.
Today it will be in the 50's! I can't believe it! Definitely spring is
in the air!

And that all means that our local farm produce stand will open very soon
with all sorts of garden delights. And fruit, fresh fruits and berries!

Melondy