Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cashew or pecans

I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
with the roast beets in a salad.

thanks, bliss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Mar 2007 06:44:24 -0700, "timbrel" > wrote:

>chose a salad recipe for a first
>course

Use the cashews and now it becomes YOUR recipe. That might be the way
many recipes are "born".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 9:52 am, Ward Abbott > wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2007 06:44:24 -0700, "timbrel" > wrote:
>
> >chose a salad recipe for a first
> >course

> Use the cashews and now it becomes YOUR recipe. That might be the way
> many recipes are "born".

Salads are usually good for a first course. The jump to cashewsa,
tho...that's extreme. What do you season with-?

Madeline
Marmalade

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Writing about it made me salivate. There is now most of a pot of
potato-leek soup (with carrot, too) in my fridge. It was lunch
yesterday, and may be today, too. Whether lunch or not, for supper
(my
lady friend is looking forward to more).

I don't know if just replacing cress with sorrel is the way to go.
here's a recipe originally from Claudia Roden's cookbook, THE BOOK OF
JEWISH FOOD:

Schav [pronounced stshaav: ja]

1 lb old mealy potatoes
9 cups stock
7 ounces sorrel leaves, chopped
salt
1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste), optional
2 eggs

Wash the sorrel leaves and cut off only the thick stalks, saving the
thin, tender ones.

Boil the potatoes in the stock until they begin to fall apart. Using
fork or a potato masher, mash the potatoes lightly. Add the sorrel,
salt and optional sugar. Simmer 5 minutes.

Beat the eggs. Add a little of the soup broth to the eggs and
continue
beating. Pour mixture egg-soup mixture into the saucepan with soup.
Simmer, beating occasionally, until the soup thickens. Do not let
the
soup boil. As soon as the soup thickens, remove from heat.

Serve hot or cold.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

timbrel wrote:
> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> with the roast beets in a salad.

Please do not use the cashews with beets. Use the pecans.
It would be a crime to put lovely cashews in with nasty
beets. Pecans would be fine because they are nasty too. ;-)

Katte

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"timbrel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> with the roast beets in a salad.
>
> thanks, bliss

I wouldn't! I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. I don't think the
cashews would be a good pairing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 12:10�pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "timbrel" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> > course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> > calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> > would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> > not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> > will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> > opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> > with the roast beets in a salad.

> > thanks, bliss

> I wouldn't! *I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. *I don't think the
> cashews would be a good pairing.

Agreed. Better to omit the cashews. In fact I don't think any kind
of nuts go well with beets, and I like beets, a lot. Nuts go with
beer, not beets.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "timbrel" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
>> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
>> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
>> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
>> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
>> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
>> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
>> with the roast beets in a salad.
>>
>> thanks, bliss

> I wouldn't! I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. I don't think the
> cashews would be a good pairing.

I think the texture of the cashews would improve greatly if they were
lightly toasted or sauteed before use in a salad. They are quite soft
and a crisper texture would improve the combination.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > I wouldn't! I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. I don't think the
> > cashews would be a good pairing.

> Agreed. Better to omit the cashews. In fact I don't think any kind
> of nuts go well with beets, and I like beets, a lot. Nuts go with
> beer, not beets.

Personally, I would rather have cashews or slivered almonds than pecans or
walnuts. However..... how about Filberts?
I bet they would be good with beets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 2:28�pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > > I wouldn't! *I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. *I don't think the
> > > cashews would be a good pairing.

> > Agreed. *Better to omit the cashews. *In fact I don't think any kind
> > of nuts go well with beets, and I like beets, a lot. *Nuts go with
> > beer, not beets.

> Personally, I would rather have cashews or slivered almonds than pecans or
> walnuts. However..... how about Filberts?
> I bet they would be good with beets.

Nah, no nuts... the texture and flavor is not complimentary. To add
crunch use onions, celery, cukes... maybe garnish a beet salad with
some toasted sesame seeds.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Nah, no nuts... the texture and flavor is not complimentary. To add
> crunch use onions, celery, cukes... maybe garnish a beet salad with
> some toasted sesame seeds.

That works for me. As much as I like nuts I can't eat them.

Dang it I had a coffee and a muffin at the new bakery cafe in town this
morning. I asked the girl at the counter if there ere nuts on the muffins.
She didn't know and said she would ask. Silly me, I figured if they had
nuts she would know, so I told her not to bother and had. They had nuts,
walnuts, the most troublesome for me. It would have been nice to enjoy
that tasty muffin without having to spit out all the nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"timbrel" > wrote:

> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> with the roast beets in a salad.
>
> thanks, bliss

Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests and
skip the boiled dirt chunks salad entirely.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "timbrel" > wrote:
>
>> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
>> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
>> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
>> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
>> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
>> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
>> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
>> with the roast beets in a salad.
>>
>> thanks, bliss

> Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests and
> skip the boiled dirt chunks salad entirely.

<adding real beets to the "try" list> I've only ever had the canned
deal. Again...the grandparents loved then in oil and vinegar while I
thought they were vile so I've never had them since I was able to "mean
it" when i refused them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 11:52 am, Ravenlynne > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article .com>,
> > "timbrel" > wrote:

> >> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> >> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> >> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> >> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> >> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> >> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> >> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> >> with the roast beets in a salad.

> >> thanks, bliss

> > Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests and
> > skip the boiled dirt chunks salad entirely.

> <adding real beets to the "try" list> I've only ever had the canned
> deal. Again...the grandparents loved then in oil and vinegar while I
> thought they were vile so I've never had them since I was able to "mean
> it" when i refused them.

Really fresh beets can be the glory of the vegetable world. I remember
when I first planted them and tasted the first pick. I understood why
they were called sugar beets. The flavor, I think, is extraordinary.
Thanks for all your opinions. Excellent ones. I think I won't use the
cashews. I agree that walnuts or slivered almonds would be better. I
do like nuts with beets though so I'll keep that element. Let you know
how it goes.

Bliss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:52:57 +0100, Ravenlynne >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> "timbrel" > wrote:
>>
>>> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
>>> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
>>> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
>>> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
>>> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
>>> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
>>> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
>>> with the roast beets in a salad.
>>>
>>> thanks, bliss

>> Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests and
>> skip the boiled dirt chunks salad entirely.

><adding real beets to the "try" list> I've only ever had the canned
>deal. Again...the grandparents loved then in oil and vinegar while I
>thought they were vile so I've never had them since I was able to "mean
>it" when i refused them.

Fresh, roasted beets are wonderful! Try 'em :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:28:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> (TammyM) wrote:
>
>> Fresh, roasted beets are wonderful! Try 'em :-)
>>
>> TammyM

>When the piggies are airborne.

No sense of adventure.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

timbrel wrote:
> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> with the roast beets in a salad.
>
> thanks, bliss

Depends on what else is in the salad.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "timbrel" > wrote:
>

>>I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
>>course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
>>calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
>>would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
>>not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
>>will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
>>opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
>>with the roast beets in a salad.
>>
>>thanks, bliss

> Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests and
> skip the boiled dirt chunks salad entirely.

Right there with ya, Barb!

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, I used slivered almonds and it was wonderful. I recommend the
combination of beets, spinach, and the slivered almonds.

bliss

On Mar 15, 2:59 am, "-L." > wrote:
> timbrel wrote:
> > I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> > course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> > calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> > would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> > not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> > will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> > opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> > with the roast beets in a salad.

> > thanks, bliss

> Depends on what else is in the salad.
>
> -L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 1:52�pm, Puester > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > "timbrel" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> I am planning a dinner party and chose a salad recipe for a first
> >> course that I have never made before. The recipe is a beet salad and
> >> calls for pecans. I just bought a large bag of cashews in error. I
> >> would like to use these instead of the pecans. Its a beet salad. I am
> >> not at home where I could taste the cashews to decide for myself. I
> >> will not have a chance to do the salad as a test so I'm looking for
> >> opinions on the chance of the cashews, chopped, being a good pairing
> >> with the roast beets in a salad.

> >> thanks, bliss

> > I wouldn't! *I've done pecans or walnuts in beet salad. *I don't think the
> > cashews would be a good pairing.

> I think the texture of the cashews would improve greatly if they were
> lightly toasted or sauteed before use in a salad. *They are quite soft
> and a crisper texture would improve the combination.

Cashews are already roasted when you buy them - they'd be poisonous
otherwise - cashews don't become crisp from further roasting/toasting,
they will eventually burn. Cashews go well as a garnish with spicy
Chinese food but I've never seen them used to garnish other coosines.
I know there are recipes calling for nuts on beet salad (I've tried a
few) but they just are not a taste enhancement, perhaps visual is all.

Sheldon

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Better still, put the cashews in little nut cups for your guests.

What are little nut cups, you mean like athletic supporters for
midgets?

You had to have known...

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"timbrel" wrote:
> Really fresh beets can be the glory of the vegetable world. I remember
> when I first planted them and tasted the first pick. I understood why
> they were called sugar beets.

You didn't have sugar beets... sugar beets (the kind used for making
beet sugar) are nothing like the beetroot used as a vegetable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Cashews are already roasted when you buy them - they'd be poisonous
> otherwise - cashews don't become crisp from further roasting/toasting,
> they will eventually burn. Cashews go well as a garnish with spicy
> Chinese food but I've never seen them used to garnish other coosines.
> I know there are recipes calling for nuts on beet salad (I've tried a
> few) but they just are not a taste enhancement, perhaps visual is all.
>
> Sheldon

The trick is to find unsalted cashews though. They are wonderful when
added to a stir fry. I can't imagine using the salted ones. Blech.

Spiced pecans gloria.p General Cooking 5 22-12-2009 05:08 PM
What to do with pecans? Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 26 06-11-2009 10:13 PM
Glazed Pecans WindyCityPrince General Cooking 16 24-12-2008 06:23 PM
Pecans: How do you get the darn nut out? Dave[_25_] General Cooking 6 15-04-2008 06:29 PM
pecans modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 45 29-11-2007 01:47 AM