Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Flap steak"?

Broke down and bought a 3 pound package of marinated "flap steak" to
day, the name has put me off in the past but the price was right $2.50
for 3 pounds of marinated "flap steak"

I dug up this from the net

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DG2BBNBS01.DTL

Any insights or suggestions appreciated, i want to make something more
or less "Mexican" carne asada sort of thing.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-03-13, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> Broke down and bought a 3 pound package of marinated "flap steak" to
> day, the name has put me off in the past but the price was right $2.50
> for 3 pounds of marinated "flap steak"

If you got it for $2.50/3lbs, you got a deal. The prices listed in
your link or beyond outrageous jumping straight to insane. If it's
already marinated, it might be for fajitas. Skirt steak, best known
for fajitas, is sometimes called flap steak. Is it just marinated or
does it include pieces of onion and bell pepper?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 4:18 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
> > On 2007-03-13, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:

> >>Broke down and bought a 3 pound package of marinated "flap steak" to
> >>day, the name has put me off in the past but the price was right $2.50
> >>for 3 pounds of marinated "flap steak"

> > If you got it for $2.50/3lbs, you got a deal. The prices listed in
> > your link or beyond outrageous jumping straight to insane. If it's
> > already marinated, it might be for fajitas. Skirt steak, best known
> > for fajitas, is sometimes called flap steak. Is it just marinated or
> > does it include pieces of onion and bell pepper?

> > nb

> It appears to have small bits of bell pepper and onions in the marinade.
>
> What i am most unsure of is how to cook it? just take it out of the
> marinade and place it on a hot griddle?
> --
>JL

I agree with notbob that it would be good for fajita tacos, although
fajitas means skirt steak, diaphram muscle.

I'd do it this way: Brush off the bits of peppers and onions and
either grill it (my preference) or cook it on a hot griddle or fry
pan. Don't cook it very long or it will get tough again. Be sure to
slice it on a bias and across the grain. If you slice it with the
grain, you'll get long strands of, again, pretty tough meat.

This is one of the few times that I like flour tortillas instead of
corn. Make your tacos with the meat, either guacamole or sliced
avocado, a squeeze of lime juice, some grilled or grilled onions, and
salsa. Good stuff.

Meat like this used to be very cheap because it was considered to be
beneath the concerns of the rich folks. In the last few years, though,
the ricos have discovered how good it is if treated properly. It's no
longer inexpensive, at least where I live, I'm sorry to say.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2007-03-13, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
>

>>Broke down and bought a 3 pound package of marinated "flap steak" to
>>day, the name has put me off in the past but the price was right $2.50
>>for 3 pounds of marinated "flap steak"

> If you got it for $2.50/3lbs, you got a deal. The prices listed in
> your link or beyond outrageous jumping straight to insane. If it's
> already marinated, it might be for fajitas. Skirt steak, best known
> for fajitas, is sometimes called flap steak. Is it just marinated or
> does it include pieces of onion and bell pepper?
>
> nb

It appears to have small bits of bell pepper and onions in the marinade.

What i am most unsure of is how to cook it? just take it out of the
marinade and place it on a hot griddle?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:18:36 -0800, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>

>>What i am most unsure of is how to cook it? just take it out of the
>>marinade and place it on a hot griddle?

> Yes. Very hot, ribbed cast iron griddle and cook to med-rare, no
> more.
>
> FWIW: that stuff is $5/lb at CostCo.
>
> -sw

I got mine as "Smart and Finale" and that only cause i just happened to
notice the price and thought i would give it try.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:18:36 -0800, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>

>>> What i am most unsure of is how to cook it? just take it out of the
>>> marinade and place it on a hot griddle?

>> Yes. Very hot, ribbed cast iron griddle and cook to med-rare, no
>> more.
>>
>> FWIW: that stuff is $5/lb at CostCo.
>>
>> -sw

> I got mine as "Smart and Finale" and that only cause i just happened to
> notice the price and thought i would give it try.
> --
> JL

And just cooked it up on a hot griddle, it was not at all tough, and
other than being a bit too salty was delicious, when added to a burrito
with refried beans, salsa, chopped onions & tomatoes and toped with a
bit of guacamole quite good, and the saltiness not noticeable when mixed
with other ingredients.
--
JL