Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American Foods

sandi wrote:
> Mark Thorson > wrote in
> :
>
>> What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>>
>> I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
>> potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
>> them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
>> images, so I really don't know what it is.
>>
>> I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
>> know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
>> kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
>> brown sugar).

> McDonalds <wink>

I've often heard that name presented as the symbol of all American
cooking... Somewhat like representing all British cooking by the example
of pub food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>
> I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
> potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
> them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
> images, so I really don't know what it is.
>
> I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
> know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
> kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
> brown sugar).

McDonalds <wink>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 9, 8:48 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> What "American" foods exist in other countries?

Well, just off the top of my head, anything having to do with peppers,
tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes, corn (=maize in some cultures), beans,
squash.

Maybe some others can add to the list.

Europeans, don't invade the Americas without taking *something*
back. ;-)

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dtwright37 wrote:

> On Mar 9, 8:48 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > What "American" foods exist in other countries?
> >

> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
whether or not they had any origin in America.
Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
associating it with the U.S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> dtwright37 wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 8:48 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>>> What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>>>

>> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
>> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
>> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

> I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
> whether or not they had any origin in America.
> Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
> associating it with the U.S.

There is a cookie in Germany, half dipped in chocolate that is often
called an Amerikaner, but I've also heard them called "Berliner"
cookies. And yet I've heard of filled donuts called Berliners too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've also found "amerikanischer thunfischsalat"
(American tuna salad) and "amerikanischer nudelsalat"
(American pasta salad, presumably with braun zucker).

I'm beginning to resent the image that Germans
seem to have about American cuisine. If I find
an "amerikanischer jello-und-marshmallow salat",
I will be very upset. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:46:50 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>dtwright37 wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 9, 8:48 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> > What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>> >

>> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
>> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
>> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

>I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
>whether or not they had any origin in America.
>Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
>associating it with the U.S.

Interesting thought, Mark. American or not, what foods are associated
with America? We do it in reverse: "french" fries, "belgian" waffles,
"spanish" rice....

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> dtwright37 wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 9, 8:48 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> > What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>> >

>> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
>> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
>> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

> I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
> whether or not they had any origin in America.
> Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
> associating it with the U.S.

Given the current administration's policies and behavior since 9/11 and it's
utter lack of competence in fulfilling it's responsibilities (Hurricane
Katrina, Iraq war, Homeland security ... just to name a few) I can't imagine
calling any food "American" would "enhance" its' "status" pretty much
anywhere abroad right now. Based on the last 6 years it might be a new
synonym for bungling, radicalized, right wing irresponsibility although it's
not a synonym one would easily associate with potatoes or tomatoes.

OB Food: I don't think I'll be naming the delicious braised escarole and
white bean soup I made last night "American" any time soon but hope springs
eternal ...

Kate

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> dtwright37 wrote:
>>>>
>>> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
>>> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
>>> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

>> I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
>> whether or not they had any origin in America.
>> Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
>> associating it with the U.S.

> Given the current administration's policies and behavior since 9/11 and it's
> utter lack of competence in fulfilling it's responsibilities (Hurricane
> Katrina, Iraq war, Homeland security ... just to name a few) I can't imagine
> calling any food "American" would "enhance" its' "status" pretty much
> anywhere abroad right now. Based on the last 6 years it might be a new
> synonym for bungling, radicalized, right wing irresponsibility although it's
> not a synonym one would easily associate with potatoes or tomatoes.
>
> OB Food: I don't think I'll be naming the delicious braised escarole and
> white bean soup I made last night "American" any time soon but hope springs
> eternal ...
>
> Kate

Could you please do your goebbelling elsewhere?
It isn't good for the digestion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> dtwright37 wrote:
>>>>
>>> Well, just off the top of my head, anything having
>>> to do with peppers, tomatoes, vanilla, potatoes,
>>> corn (=maize in some cultures), beans, squash.

>> I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
>> whether or not they had any origin in America.
>> Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
>> associating it with the U.S.

> There is a cookie in Germany, half dipped in chocolate that is often
> called an Amerikaner, but I've also heard them called "Berliner"
> cookies. And yet I've heard of filled donuts called Berliners too.

JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner" actually meant "I am a jelly donut." he
shouldn't have used an article (ein).

-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ml ml is offline

Mark Thorson wrote:
> I've also found "amerikanischer thunfischsalat"
> (American tuna salad) and "amerikanischer nudelsalat"
> (American pasta salad, presumably with braun zucker).
>
> I'm beginning to resent the image that Germans
> seem to have about American cuisine. If I find
> an "amerikanischer jello-und-marshmallow salat",
> I will be very upset. :-)

The other things I've run into (also in Germany) are "Amerikanisches
Pizza" und "Amerikanisches Eis" which seems to mean lots of ice cream.
When I first arrived in Germany the muffins in the bakery (all the
bakeries) used to be sold with little paper US flags in them; I can't
recall when they stopped doing that.

ml
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 9, 9:19 pm, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:46:50 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
> >I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
> >whether or not they had any origin in America.
> >Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
> >associating it with the U.S.

> Interesting thought, Mark. American or not, what foods are associated
> with America? We do it in reverse: "french" fries, "belgian" waffles,
> "spanish" rice....

The only thing that comes to mind is "American cheese," which really
means non-cheese. Another way to approach it is [ethnic+American], as
in Chinese-American food, Tex-Mex food, or other hyphenations. In
most cases it means dumbed-down, or overly sweetened, doesn't it? -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

moriarty wrote:

> JFK's "Ich bin ein Berliner" actually meant "I am a jelly donut." he
> shouldn't have used an article (ein).

Old Urban Legend, thoroughly debunked.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 2:32�pm, ml > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > I've also found "amerikanischer thunfischsalat"
> > (American tuna salad) and "amerikanischer nudelsalat"
> > (American pasta salad, presumably with braun zucker).

> > I'm beginning to resent the image that Germans
> > seem to have about American cuisine. *If I find
> > an "amerikanischer jello-und-marshmallow salat",
> > I will be very upset. *:-)

> The other things I've run into (also in Germany) are "Amerikanisches
> Pizza" und "Amerikanisches Eis" which seems to mean lots of ice cream.
> When I first arrived in Germany the muffins in the bakery (all the
> bakeries) used to be sold with little paper US flags in them; I can't
> recall when they stopped doing that.

Right after WWII, the same time those yellow frogs stopped waving the
American flag.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate B wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> >
> > I meant foods called "American" in other countries,
> > whether or not they had any origin in America.
> > Presumably, to enhance the status of a food by
> > associating it with the U.S.

> Given the current administration's policies and
> behavior since 9/11 and it's utter lack of competence
> in fulfilling it's responsibilities (Hurricane Katrina,
> Iraq war, Homeland security ... just to name a few)
> I can't imagine calling any food "American" would
> "enhance" its' "status" pretty much anywhere abroad
> right now. Based on the last 6 years it might be
> a new synonym for bungling, radicalized, right wing
> irresponsibility although it's not a synonym one
> would easily associate with potatoes or tomatoes.

Not to mention the way the current administration
has completely blinded large segments of the American
public to the use of sarcasm. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> What "American" foods exist in other countries?

I assume you are talking about home-cooked foods. If so, right now I
cannot think of any, here in Germany. Some people will make hamburgers,
but this is not typical.

> I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
> potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
> them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
> images, so I really don't know what it is.

In Czechia, it aparently means "potato wedges".

> I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
> know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
> kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
> brown sugar).

"Salat" is masculine, so it should be "amerikanischer Kartoffelsalat".
"Zucker" is also masculine, so "brown sugar" is "brauner Zucker". If
you search for the terms together, you'll find just nine hits, but not a
single recipe that actually combines the terms/ingredients.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>
> I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
> potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
> them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
> images, so I really don't know what it is.
>
> I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
> know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
> kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
> brown sugar).

In Honduras:

Pizza and hamburgers....not from American chains. Fried chicken, again
not from American chains, donuts, not from American donut shops.
Potato and macaroni salads.

Condiments such as mustard, mayo, and ketchup - not American brands or
subsidiaries of American brands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-SD- wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > What "American" foods exist in other countries?
> >
> > I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
> > potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
> > them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
> > images, so I really don't know what it is.
> >
> > I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
> > know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
> > kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
> > brown sugar).

> In Honduras:
>
> Pizza and hamburgers....not from American chains. Fried chicken, again
> not from American chains, donuts, not from American donut shops.
> Potato and macaroni salads.
>
> Condiments such as mustard, mayo, and ketchup - not American brands or
> subsidiaries of American brands.

In Minneapolis, there are places which claim to serve New York pizza.

I've never seen "New York pizza" or Manhattan anything for sale within
a hundred miles of New York City.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote

> I've never seen "New York pizza" or Manhattan anything for sale within
> a hundred miles of New York City.

Heh, someone opened a chain of places called
Manhattan Bagel. Their bagels are pretty good but ... what are
you going to do, even this close, probably 25 miles as the crow
flies, the bagels are just not the same.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote
>
> > I've never seen "New York pizza" or Manhattan anything for sale
> > within a hundred miles of New York City.

> Heh, someone opened a chain of places called
> Manhattan Bagel. Their bagels are pretty good but ... what are
> you going to do, even this close, probably 25 miles as the crow
> flies, the bagels are just not the same.

What area are you in?

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
John Arbuthnot (1667-1735), Scottish writer, physician.
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
future http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Goodman" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> "Dan Goodman" > wrote
>>
>> > I've never seen "New York pizza" or Manhattan anything for sale
>> > within a hundred miles of New York City.

>> Heh, someone opened a chain of places called
>> Manhattan Bagel. Their bagels are pretty good but ... what are
>> you going to do, even this close, probably 25 miles as the crow
>> flies, the bagels are just not the same.

> What area are you in?

Jersey, Monmouth County. South of the city.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Mar 2007 11:37:14 -0800, "aem" > rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>The only thing that comes to mind is "American cheese," which really
>means non-cheese. Another way to approach it is [ethnic+American], as
>in Chinese-American food, Tex-Mex food, or other hyphenations. In
>most cases it means dumbed-down, or overly sweetened, doesn't it? -

That's not always true. Some American "cheese" is labeled "processed
cheese food," but you can also find some American cheese labeled, uh,
cheese. You just have to read the label to separate the cheese from
the chemistry experiment.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Dan Goodman" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >>"Dan Goodman" > wrote

> > > Heh, someone opened a chain of places called
> > > Manhattan Bagel. Their bagels are pretty good but ... what are
> > > you going to do, even this close, probably 25 miles as the crow
> > > flies, the bagels are just not the same.

> > What area are you in?

> Jersey, Monmouth County. South of the city.

Thanks.

At least, their bagels are probably better than Wonder Bagels.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.
John Arbuthnot (1667-1735), Scottish writer, physician.
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
future http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> What "American" foods exist in other countries?
>
> I googled for "amerikanische kartoffeln" (American
> potatoes), and found lots of hits, oddly most of
> them in Czechia. I've only found low-resolution
> images, so I really don't know what it is.
>
> I've also found an "amerikanische salat" (I don't
> know what sort of salad that is) and an "amerikanische
> kartoffelsalat" (which, presumably, contains
> brown sugar).

Here in Belgium you can eat "filet américain": a meat dish made from
finely chopped, or ground raw beef. It is often served with onions,
capers and seasonings (the latter typically incorporating fresh ground
pepper and Worcestershire sauce), and accompanied with french fries.

--
Nathalie from Belgium

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie W wrote:

> Here in Belgium you can eat "filet américain": a meat dish
> made from finely chopped, or ground raw beef. It is often
> served with onions, capers and seasonings (the latter typically
> incorporating fresh ground pepper and Worcestershire sauce),
> and accompanied with french fries.

That sounds like what we (Americans) call
steak tartar. Very few Americans eat that,
so I wonder how it came to be associated
with us. Maybe it's the french fries which
make it American. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Nathalie W wrote:
>> Here in Belgium you can eat "filet américain": a meat dish
>> made from finely chopped, or ground raw beef. It is often
>> served with onions, capers and seasonings (the latter typically
>> incorporating fresh ground pepper and Worcestershire sauce),
>> and accompanied with french fries.

> That sounds like what we (Americans) call
> steak tartar. Very few Americans eat that,
> so I wonder how it came to be associated
> with us. Maybe it's the french fries which
> make it American. :-)

I've never had it although I've heard of it. I've got a problem with
raw beef.