Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Removing frozen pie crust from pan?

I'm making a simple chicken pot pie for supper tonight. I put the
ingredients in a frozen pie crust still in the metal pan, then invert
another frozen crust over it to cover it. Unfortunately, if I do this
while it's frozen the covering crust usually breaks up getting it out of
the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 5, 8:59 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> I'm making a simple chicken pot pie for supper tonight. I put the
> ingredients in a frozen pie crust still in the metal pan, then invert
> another frozen crust over it to cover it. Unfortunately, if I do this
> while it's frozen the covering crust usually breaks up getting it out of
> the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
> getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Untie the two knots to email me
>
> Every silver lining has a cloud.

You need to either be really careful with the frozen one, or pinch
together the thawed one where it cracks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote

> the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
> getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?

I think maybe make cuts through the rim about an
inch and a half apart, and peel off the pan in strips?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote
>
> > the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
> > getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?

I think covering the sl. thawed one with wax paper then inverting it onto
the chicken pie from the wax paper would work. The wax paper would be flat,
and if the crust tears, it would be easier to patch it again. Also, maybe
spray the wax paper with Pam or butter it before transferring the crust
should make it really easy.
Jackie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:
> I'm making a simple chicken pot pie for supper tonight. I put the
> ingredients in a frozen pie crust still in the metal pan, then invert
> another frozen crust over it to cover it. Unfortunately, if I do this
> while it's frozen the covering crust usually breaks up getting it out of
> the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
> getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?

Try using your own casserole dish, and covering with one of those
refrigerated Pillsbury rolled pie crusts. Much nicer presentation, and
gives you more room to arrange the top crust the way you'd like.
They taste and bake up very nicely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken Knecht wrote:

> I'm making a simple chicken pot pie for supper tonight. I put the
> ingredients in a frozen pie crust still in the metal pan, then invert
> another frozen crust over it to cover it. Unfortunately, if I do this
> while it's frozen the covering crust usually breaks up getting it out of
> the metal pan; if I let it thaw a few minutes it tears. Any trick to
> getting a crust out of the pan easily in one piece?

Why not just make up some pie pastry , roll it out and cover the pie with
it?